Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does emotion play a role in ‘being saved?’

Does emotion play a role in ‘being saved?’

I’m having a very interesting conversation with a few folks about salvation and the discussion has turned to how one becomes saved… To the point of salvation, I’d like to know from the folks here if you see that salvation’s call on your part as:
    1) An intellectual response.
    2) An emotional response.
    3) Both intellectual and emotional
    4) Intellectual, then emotion follows
    5) Emotional, followed by intellect
    6) A mystery as to knowing how you know you 1st became saved
    7) Other

So the scenario is that you heard the Gospel message and something happened to you in reply to what you heard. Which of the 7 above responses best describes your personal response.

A few assumptions: Being saved means the same thing to all respondants; that there was a one time 'event' in one's life that this 'event' happened; Life changed because of this 'event'
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

I'd have to go with intellectual and emotional.

I knew I was a sinner: intellect.
    It grieved me greatly when I realized how sinful I was: emotion.

Of course, the Holy Spirit gets the greatest credit in calling my sinfulness to mind, and causing my spirit to cry out.

Unseal my lips, O Lord, that my mouth may praise you. You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one. You do not want a burnt offering. The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God. (Psalm 51:15-17 NLT)
    θεοφιλε

Comment

RBG,

I'm not sure I would descibe my experience as either emotional or intellectual. Neither of those words seem to describe it.

I heard the Gospel message one morning, after years of God dealing with my heart (convicting me with the Law), and it simply was true and I trusted and believed that Christ was able to save me from sin.

Emotions definitely resulted from that, I had an extreme sense of peace I had never, ever known before. I guess intellect was involved also, because I definitely heard and processed some data/knowledge thru my ears and brain.

But I don't see the issue of trusting/believing the Gospel as either emotional or intellectual. I see it as a miracle of God and His grace and those words, emotion and intellect, just don't seem to describe it for me.

So I guess I'll go with #6 even though I know exactly when and where I believed the Gospel... Sept. 12th 1987, around 10:00 a.m. at First Family Church in Dallas Tx. with Oscar Roan preaching the Gospel
      WDJD - what DID Jesus do

He died on a cross for our sin and rose from the dead,
      securing, for all who believe, eternal life and forgiveness of sin

Toolman

Comment

So far, we have:
        3) Both intellectual and emotional -------- 1)
        6) A mystery as to knowing how you know you 1st became saved -------- 1)
        7) Other

Although TM, I'm tempted to record your reply as a 9, by a combination of 1,2 and 6...

Comment

I believe God uses our emotions for His purposes, even as He uses anything for his purpose. Yet God's word says that it is by Grace, through faith that we are saved. So your question should be, Is faith emotional, or intellectual?

Now that is a question, and i do not think its either/or because both are used yet neither are the cause of salvation, nor means.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
            Does emotion play a role in ‘being saved?’

I’m having a very interesting conversation with a few folks about salvation and the discussion has turned to how one becomes saved… To the point of salvation, I’d like to know from the folks here if you see that salvation’s call on your part as:
            3) Both intellectual and emotional
            6) A mystery as to knowing how you know you 1st became saved
            7) Other
            So the scenario is that you heard the Gospel message and something happened to you in reply to what you heard. Which of the 7 above responses best describes your personal response.

A few assumptions: Being saved means the same thing to all respondants; that there was a one time 'event' in one's life that this 'event' happened; Life changed because of this 'event'
            On both levels. I think it's split pretty evenly on both levels in the body - being that you have many who are more emotive thinkers in Christ, while you have others who are more inclined to seek God on an intellectual level. I think as each person progresses in their spiritual walk, the Holy Spirit gradually conforms an individual to the likeness of Christ - who had a balance of both of these spiritual aspects of God.

Biggest problem arises when individuals can't get out of their comfort zone. For the emotive member, such problems involve generally internalizing everything and thinking that every act of emotion, whether it be big or small by friend family member is inherently linked to their walk and standing with God.(I tend to fall into this group often..) This causes them to trip quite often as they are easily swayed by the emotions and opinions of others, and to easily take offense when someone disagrees with their views and opinions.

For the intellectual member, such problems involve thinking that they are above anything involving emotions - and thus such people usually become very self righteous and above reproach during their walks, not taking into account the views and feelings of others - and believing everything about the Word can be rationalized down to a level of human understanding, and often time lacking in compassion towards their fellow more emotive members. ( I tend to fall into this group sometimes too too )

Edit: So my answer would be number 3...or perhaps 7..or perhaps..IDK...

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of I AM View Post
              On both levels. I think it's split pretty evenly on both levels in the body - being that you have many who are more emotive thinkers in Christ, while you have others who are more inclined to seek God on an intellectual level. I think as each person progresses in their spiritual walk, the Holy Spirit gradually conforms an individual to the likeness of Christ - who had a balance of both of these spiritual aspects of God.

Biggest problem arises when individuals can't get out of their comfort zone. For the emotive member, such problems involve generally internalizing everything and thinking that every act of emotion, whether it be big or small by friend family member is inherently linked to their walk and standing with God.(I tend to fall into this group often..) This causes them to trip quite often as they are easily swayed by the emotions and opinions of others, and to easily take offense when someone disagrees with their views and opinions.

For the intellectual member, such problems involve thinking that they are above anything involving emotions - and thus such people usually become very self righteous and above reproach during their walks, not taking into account the views and feelings of others - and believing everything about the Word can be rationalized down to a level of human understanding, and often time lacking in compassion towards their fellow more emotive members. ( I tend to fall into this group sometimes too too )

Edit: So my answer would be number 3...or perhaps 7..or perhaps..IDK...
              LOL... I was just ready to write 'but which number?' Thanks for the edit!

Comment

I can't really explain what had happened to me the night I got saved, I just knew that something happened to me and there was a new person or spirit living inside of me(the Holy Spirit) It was all Him. Jesus explains it best when He says in John3:8
                The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

Comment

Originally posted by dhtraveler View Post
                  I believe God uses our emotions for His purposes, even as He uses anything for his purpose. Yet God's word says that it is by Grace, through faith that we are saved. So your question should be, Is faith emotional, or intellectual?

Now that is a question, and i do not think its either/or because both are used yet neither are the cause of salvation, nor means.

OK, so by your definition then, your reply is a 7)?

Comment

Originally posted by kingsdaughter View Post
                    I can't really explain what had happened to me the night I got saved, I just knew that something happened to me and there was a new person or spirit living inside of me(the Holy Spirit) It was all Him. Jesus explains it best when He says in John3:8
                    The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."
                    So keeping with the format question, I can log you down as a 6)?

Comment

I think that all can have a part to play...

In my case #5 best fits. I was filled with an absolute sense of despair one day, which caused me to start searching....I ended up going on a Saturday afternoon to knock on church doors, and finally one opened. The pastor shared the Gospel with me, and as I heard it I just knew that what he was telling me was the absolute truth.

I wrestled with it for the next couple of days, read some of the bible for myself, and in the privacy of my own home I accepted Christ's offer.

My emotion during this time was "Oh no,I'm going to have to give up what I like"

My intellect said that a man who had been dead (as in stone cold) for three days and then came back to life, was probably telling the truth and I ought to pay attention to Him.

"Thanks Lord, for not giving up on me!!!"
                      Ιησούς Χριστός ο κυριος μου και ο θεος μου

****When the Lord opens a door, don't walk through it....run full speed; if it's the wrong one He'll let ya know...sometimes He just wants to see if you'll move at all!****

A Minister of God Ministry - Support and understanding for a Christian serving in the military

Comment

Originally posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
                        OK, so by your definition then, your reply is a 7)?

does this forum have a poll option? Maybe you would get the kind of responses you desire if you used it?

Comment

Originally posted by dhtraveler View Post
                          does this forum have a poll option? Maybe you would get the kind of responses you desire if you used it?
                          Ah... so you're an intellectual responder? LOL

Probably is, but then it would probably be moved over to the poll site and could lose some of the biblical background that I hope will come latter in the thread. Where I see the next steps developing would be keyed on words as heart, mind, soul, will, then joy, sorrow, anger, peace, love, faith, etc.

Comment

I don't know that there is a way that one could separate the two so I'd say 3 myself. Humans are given emotions by God and I figure He intended that for a reason. I think of the message preached by Peter. Folks heard (intellect) and then their hearts were pierced (emotional). But I'd also say it could be the other way around too in a sense. A person could be listening emotionally and once they gained the information... the intellect part works itself into the equation. Thinking of Cornelius there. He did seem quite emotional when meeting Peter and wide open for the intellect part.

So yeah... there ya go!

Visit our new website
                            ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                            "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                              I don't know that there is a way that one could separate the two so I'd say 3 myself. Humans are given emotions by God and I figure He intended that for a reason. I think of the message preached by Peter. Folks heard (intellect) and then their hearts were pierced (emotional). But I'd also say it could be the other way around too in a sense. A person could be listening emotionally and once they gained the information... the intellect part works itself into the equation. Thinking of Cornelius there. He did seem quite emotional when meeting Peter and wide open for the intellect part.

So yeah... there ya go!
                              Sounds good to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X