No announcement yet.

Which version of the bible do you read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which version of the bible do you read?

I have a couple now. The new living translation and the king james version. Which is the best translation and why? I would love to read your opinions.

Personally I like the New Living Translation (NLT), and the New American Standard Bible 95 edition (NAS95/NAS updated, NASB95/NASB updated).
    I like the NASB95 because it is in between the KJV and the NLT.
    Retaining the 'look and feel' of the KJV, while being easy to read.

Info on the NASB95.

Also, take a look at the NIV. Despite what some may say it is a good translation also.
    Info on the NIV.

But what ever translation(s) you choose, stay away from 'The message'.
    'The message' is a paraphrase and takes way too many liberties IMHO.
    Some claim it is a 'reading Bible' rather then a study Bible.
    But the NLT is a much better 'reading Bible' then 'The message' IMHO,
    And the NLT doesn't have someone-else's interpretations in it,
    'The message' is full of them and the way they are presented it is confusing,
    which are from man and which are from God.
    So for safeties sake stay away from 'The message' and use the KJV, NASB95, NLT, other and ask God to reveal to you what He wants you to know, and He will.
    That way you will know that the interpretation came directly from God and was not 'filtered by man'.
    "Love is not about you...and it never was"
    "Selfishness is inwardly focused, but Love is Always outwardly focused!"

I am very anti-abortion, anti-murder, and Pro-Love.
    Gotta stop repeating myself...

Stop Marfan - The Silent but deadly killer.
    It's main weapon is lack of truth.
    Please learn the truth about the Marfan syndrome
    by visiting The National Marfan Foundation.
    Feel free to ask me any questions you may have
    about the Marfan syndrome and I will answer them
    the best I can.

Comment

Rsv

My favorite is the RSV...meaning Ravi's Standard Version...
      sigpicLife! Just Live It!
      http://www.lifeblog.co.nr/

Comment

I like the NKJV and the NASB... I've also heard a lot of good things about the NET Bible (on-line only, I think).

p.s. - what does it mean to be "danield"?
        analyze. synthesize. repeat.

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Comment

My take on it.

Category 1
          If I want a very literal translation, I check out the KJV and the Douay-Rheims and the Young's Literal Translation. The updside to a literal translation is that the translator relies less upon adding in their personal interpretations into the passages as much as they rely on the specific definitions and context of the passages being translated. The downside is that some verbs can cause awkward sounding sentences (Young's Literal, which translates all of the words as literalistic as possible, winds up having a lot of verbs in the present tense, such as Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth"). Another downside is I don't always understand certain Hebrew or Greek idioms and figures of speech. If I'm opening the books to specifically learn something, I always have at least two of these handy.

Category 2
          If I want a mostly literal translation, but modified meanings for modern speech, I use the NIV and NASB. The upside is the more understanding I can get from the words than from the literalistic KJV or DR or YLT, but the downside is translators add in a bit of their personal opinion and interpretations on what a certain passage is supposed to be saying, as opposed to what it actually says. I might include the NLT in this category, but it's even more loose in its translation and relies more on biased interpretation of meanings than the NIV has. If you don't understand what I mean about the translators adding their personal interpretations, look at the final verses of Daniel 9 in this category, and compare them to translations in Category 1 (above). I usually grab one of these if I need to do a quick reference check on the location of a verse, or if I just want some easy-to-read Bible-time. If I'm doing study, I'll have a few of these on hand, along with a couple from Category 1.

Category 3
          This category, in my opinion, rely the most upon personal opinion (which may not be correct), paraphrase (such as The Message, which definitely shouldn't be taken as actual Scripture), or just plain distortion (i.e., Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists, etc.). I highly recommend against using a Bible from this category. In my opinion, if it's not worth studying Scripture from, don't even bother reading it as if it were your just-to-read Bible. If you want to read it just to read it (i.e., not as THE Bible), that's fine, but don't use it as a substitute for your actual Bible. Personally, I don't own any of these. There's one specific Bible that I think belongs in this category; The "Recovery Version" (if it's the one I'm thinking of). It has an introduction stating that the version was made with the intent of providing the most up-to-date and accurate translation of the Bible while still being easy to read. That sounds good in theory, but this version literally includes just as many footnotes as it does Bible verses on each page (and occasionally more footnotes per page). Footnotes can be helpful, but from what I read, the footnotes were so obviously biased and dogmatic in what they said, I just can't put it in another category, because it's basically telling the reader what they're supposed to interpret, which just goes along the lines of the translators adding in too much personal bias, which, again, may include a lot of inaccurate information or intepretations.

So, my personal opinions: get at least one Bible from Category 1, at least one from Category 2, and if you get any more than that (you can easily use the internet anyway), then get your extras from Category 1 or 2, but not from 3.
          To This Day

Comment

my personal preference is for the KJV.
            Jer 6:16a
            Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

I've started a blog
            http://exwitch.ancientcrossroads.org

Comment

Originally posted by ravi4u2 View Post
              My favorite is the RSV...meaning Ravi's Standard Version...
              Oh man, I see an argument coming on here!

Did you translate from the Textus Receptus, or an older Alexandrian Text?

Comment

Guys thanks for all the great info! Also markedward, that is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to find the most exact translation possible when doing a study.I really want the most literal translation beacuse they do differ slightly at times as you mentioned in Daniel chaper 9. It looks like I am set up right though. Best of luck guys and God bless!

Comment

If doin a study, stick to ole King James. They didnt know what to hide to fit there churchiousity doctrines.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreys View Post
                    Oh man, I see an argument coming on here!

Did you translate from the Textus Receptus, or an older Alexandrian Text?

Oh boy! Do I see a special room with your name on it bro.

Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Seems I've been here before but if not NASB for me. Seems the most literal. To me anyway and it sticks to me!
                      I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Comment

Originally posted by My heart's Desire View Post
                        Seems I've been here before but if not NASB for me. Seems the most literal. To me anyway and it sticks to me!
                        Actually, NASB is an excellent and accurate translation!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreys View Post
                          Actually, NASB is an excellent and accurate translation!
                          I knew there had to be a reason I loved it!

Comment

Originally posted by astrongerthanhe View Post
                            ... I've also heard a lot of good things about the NET Bible (on-line only, I think).

p.s. - what does it mean to be "danield"?
                            I have the NET Bible. You can buy it in print though they are called 1st beta, 2nd beta, but the 1st edition is also out. I was getting into it until I had to go read someone's review of it. Not nuthin bad. BTW..the notes in it are excellent! Lots of meat to chew on.

Comment

I see my love for the translation i use as an idol. I know everyone knows better than i do and i wish i would just listern to them. This is humour.
                              1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

Working...
                              X