Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does a person come to Christ?

How does a person come to Christ?
    Are you kidding? We are not fallen and don't need to come to Christ.
    0.00%
    Man can come to Christ without the aid of divine grace or the Holy Spirit.
    2.13%
    The Holy Spirit does everything He can, but it is entirely up to man whether or not he will come.
    55.32%
    The Holy Spirit gives the desire and longing for Christ and the person cannot help but come.
    42.55%
    If any created mind would fain see the Glory of God, he need not gaze upon the starry skies, nor soar into the Heaven of heavens! He has but to bow at the cross-foot and watch the crimson streams which gush from Immanuel’s wounds! Charles Spurgeon (The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit)

I voted for...

The Holy Spirit does everything He can, but it is entirely up to man whether or not he will come.
    I believe in free will. I don't believe people are compelled or forced to believe, basically. It's not something automatic, like a timer that goes off within us when it's time to seek out salvation. It is something people can be encouraged to do by many different sources and from many different angles, but ultimately, individual decision.

Comment

I can't vote, none of the choices match what I feel is the answer to the question
      Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
        I can't vote, none of the choices match what I feel is the answer to the question
        I agree with Slug.
        Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
        23 Guard your heart above all else,
        for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

How does a person come to Christ?.......... (((I didn't vote either)

The Holy Spirit confronts them with their need of Salvation. When they have learned the facts - that God hates their Sin, as it separates them
          from Him, so He came to earth as Jesus Christ to pay their penalty for their Sin on the Cross - if they repent of (turn away from) all Sin, trusting Jesus Christ to have paid their penalty for their Sin on the Cross, enabling them to receive God's Forgiveness, and trusting that as He Rose from the dead they will be able to also rise to New Life with Him, and be fillled with His Holy Spirit, enabling them to live to glorify God in all they do. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyan's Pilgrim View Post
            Ro 10:9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For "whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."

14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:
            "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
            Who bring glad tidings of good things!"
            16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our report?" 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
            NKJV

Based on these words, a person needs to hear the gospel (hence the need for preaching and witnessing to unbelievers); having heard, the person needs to believe that it is true. This is internal belief, not just lip service. Then the person needs to say it out loud, and call on the Lord. The final step is to obey it.

Hear
            Believe
            Confess (call on the Lord)
            Obey
            Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
            23 Guard your heart above all else,
            for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

I voted the last one. Its how i was saved. I wasnt seeking God at the time. He came to me. He quickened me and after coming to an understanding i was saved.

Its like being in a burning building and you are 100% sure you are trapped until someone shows you the way out. At that point it would be completely insane not you chose the method that would wind up saving you unless you were suicidal.

Same here. After fully understanding my wretched state i immediately dropped to my knees in tears and prayer. The Holy Spirit imparts both the wisdom and understanding. Christ provides the way. I am nothing without Him
              Originally posted by Job 34:19
              God is not partial to princes and does not favor the rich over the poor, for they are all the work of His hands.

Comment

I take issue with answer #3....that the Holy Spirit does "everything He can" (this is an omnipotent God, mind you), yet He can't save us. That is a contradiction and makes no sense. Who holds the power in salvation, us or God?
                My Blog

Comment

It's called "free will".

Comment

The Holy Spirit does it's best.
                    Jesus Christ is The Way, The Truth, and The Life.

Soli Deo Gloria!

My Video's:
                    http://www.youtube.com/thewoodsofjordan

Comment

But sometimes His best is not good enough?
                      Last edited by daughter; May 17th 2008, 02:37 PM. Reason: grammar
                      Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyan's Pilgrim View Post
                        It is not possible for a person to come to Christ unless He first is drawn by the Father.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father that sent me draw him: and I will raise him up in the last day.
                        If the Calvinistic Westminister Confession is true (that "God from all eternity did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass"), then God ordained my disbelief of Calvinism.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanW View Post
                          The Holy Spirit does it's best.
                          First of all, the HS is not "it" - He is the Third Person of the Trinity! Such a statement makes man more powerful than he HS! The last one is my experience and - more importantly - biblical and therefore the truth.
                          Last edited by 9Marksfan; May 17th 2008, 01:21 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

I based my answer on my own experience. Others may be different.

Before I was Christian I was perfectly content, and never under any circumstances was I going to become one of them loony bible bashers. I utterly despised Christianity, and had reworked Christ in my own imagination to fit in with what I wanted Him to be... a good man of similar political persuasion to myself!

When I became Christian it was like an explosion in my life, I couldn't escape the fall out. I remember a few weeks after becoming Christian, I'd been sitting reading my Bible. I sat there looking out the window, watching the birds, hearing the neighbour kids playing... and I thought, "I wish I could go back, why did this have to happen to me? I know I was going to hell... but this is too much for me. I never wanted to be a Christian, and now here it is, and I've got to give everything to Him... it's all His anyway. I wish I could go back to the world I knew."

Honestly, that is how I felt. (I don't anymore.) I remember feeling guilty for feeling that way, but also scared that things would never be the same again.

It's hard to explain it, but I do believe that I was called and had no choice but to obey. Maybe other people are less depraved than me and don't need as serious a kick in the butt, I don't know.

But I do know that the Holy Spirit (a HE by the way, a person of God) took me, and shook me, and put me down in a very different place from the path I'd been wandering along. So although I'd like to believe in free will, in my own case, I can't really see it.
                            Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Originally posted by alethos View Post
                              It is not possible for a person to come to Christ unless He first is drawn by the Father.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father that sent me draw him: and I will raise him up in the last day.
                              ---------------------------------------------------------
                              Exactly! Bullseye!

God the Father thru the Holy Ghost has to draw that person in...to Jesus the Christ... The revelation of His Goodness will bring you to your knees in repentance. You can't force somebody into 'salvation' by saying a small prayer.

very simple.. When a person is 'born again of the Spirit' it's God who authors or starts it and He finishes it.

I did vote for the last one.....

He drew me in, revealed Himself to me and He saved me... thru the revelation of His goodness which He bestowed in my life even though I had not deserved it. That's when I realized my own wretchedness and was broken-hearted for my ungodly and sinful lifestyle.. that's when He came in and stayed!

Comment

Working...
                              X