Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have to pay with my life to follow god?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to pay with my life to follow god?

Why do I have to quit doing things that feel natural to me? I feel like am wasting my life if god isn't there. I never feel him. I am so scared I am being lied to. Ever since I became a christian I have been scared of going to hell and I don;t feel any love.

I think I am just being controlled. Isn't it odd how sheep are the christian animal and sheep are used to express people who just follow a leader and don;t think for themselves?

When one realizes that need a Savior, we come to realize that we have done something against the one who can save us. We are seperated from God, from what is natural and what is comfortable because we live in a world that really doesn't emphasize much of Him. We adapt to the world before we know Christ and for us that is the truth, that is real, that is natural. It was for me and was the only reality that I knew.

Love is not something that we feel instantly for someone. We can feel lust, but honest and true love comes over time, through relationship. To honestly feel that God is a lover of your soul and have that love that you have been told is there will take time to let that relationship happen.

When you meeting someone you have an interest in you do things that they like, maybe eat the things they like, check out a tv show you haven't watched before, go somewhere you haven't ever gone or maybe never thought to go. You begin to conform to them, even in little ways, to know them better and draw closer.

It's that way with God. If you want to know that love and understand Him, you need to start by putting on "His shoes" and draw closer to him by doing the things He prefers. It won't happen overnight, relationships take time to develop.

And, when you know someone for a time, even a short time, you know if they are really who they say they are. You know when they are lying or if they are for real.

Do you have a testimony posted here yet? What first made you turn to Christ?
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

A what?

To be honest, fear.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassplayerchick View Post
        A what?

To be honest, fear.
        A testimony is how you came to the choice to repent and turn away from what is not of God; the story of how you became a Christian.

What was your fear?

Comment

Hell. Everone says I'll go to hell if I don;t go to church and be christian.

Comment

Being and Living

Even if you go to church and call yourself a christian, you can still go to hell. It is not in the 'going' but in the 'being'. It is not in the 'calling' but in the 'living'. Live your life full of fragrance and flavor unto the Lord.
            Last edited by ravi4u2; Dec 2nd 2007, 12:51 AM.
            sigpicLife! Just Live It!
            http://www.lifeblog.co.nr/

Comment

hi there.
              Well, hell is indeed a real consequence, but it has nothing much to do with
              going to any particular church.
              What it means is that if you do not ask Jesus to forgive you and be your Saviour that's where ya end up.

I do recommend finding and attending a good loving, bible-believing church though. it is very helpful.

I also would recommend reading through the Gospel of John at this time

mark
              Jer 6:16a
              Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls.

I've started a blog
              http://exwitch.ancientcrossroads.org

Comment

I think I am just being controlled. Isn't it odd how sheep are the christian animal and sheep are used to express people who just follow a leader and don;t think for themselves?
                Sheep are the only animal who cannot find their way 'home' by themselves. Humans without the Holy Spirit cannot find their way 'home'. Home being, WITH the Father (on earth and/or Heaven).

When you think of your emotions associated with 'home' what comes to mind? Try to put away your thoughts of your childhood or where you are living right now because you might have negative memories associated with them.

Home is a place where you should feel safe, loved and free to be who you are. That is what being with the Father is like.

The Father is not something to feel threatened or intimidated. That is the difference between fear. I have felt the fear of God, meaning, I worry what He thinks of my actions, speech and thought because in the end it's all about Him. I have also placed Him one place "above" my self, family, pretty much everything. He governs me and there is a so-called 'fear' associated when you are being guided by something else other than your self (because it's always on your mind).

God is forgiving and immensely loving. The reality is that we ALL sin and He wants us to take our sins to Him (to clean us). You should not fear that He will never forgive you, that sounds like the enemy working here. You should also not fear that He will never clean you, that is not Biblically correct.

One last thing, you cannot earn your way to Heaven by going to Church and doing Christian things. Deeds do not save, only Faith. If you believe Jesus is God, that He is the way to the Father and declare Him as your personal Lord and Saviour that is ALL you have to do. From there, you develop a relationship, filled with the Holy Spirit, and you slowly and naturally become more Christ-like everyday.

Keep in mind the one criminal being crucified next to Christ. To be crucified 2000 years ago meant you did something VERY wrong, likely more than once (i.e. murder). Literally moments before he died He believed Jesus is God and Jesus promised him eternal life. Do you think he spent all his time in synagogues, reading the Torah, praying daily and doing charitable works? It's likely the answer is 'no' otherwise he wouldn't be in the trouble he was in.
                Matthew 27:55
                And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him.

Comment

Well, as has been shared simply not going to church isn't going to send you to hell. Many cannot get to church for whatever reason such as those who are physically unable to get there. Yet they can very much be heaven bound. Not one person on this earth, Christians included, are going to get out of this world sin-free. To "be christian" isn't just what you do. That is a product of being born again.

One act, or lack of that one action, isn't going to send you to hell. Not having Christ to forgive you because you knew your action or inaction was against Him will. If He recognizes you, He will hear your repentance.

What allows Christ to recognize you? You look like Him! We take on a likeness in His image when we are born again and the Holy Spirit lives within us. The Spirit is reflective of God and His son. Christ can see the Spirit, like looking at His own reflection, in you.

Bassplayerchick, do you feel that you have had a from the heart repentance for going against the will of God? If we are going against God the Spirit does not reside within us, we are not born again, and that is what seals our fate as to weather we are heaven or hell bound at the end of our life in this world. It is not what we do. It's a matter of the heart and soul.

Actions, in agreement with God in our mind and in what we do, comes after knowing we are seperated from God, repenting and turning to what is good and Christ like.

Comment

It is not "I" who lives, but Christ Who lives in me."

A Christian is one who is born of the Spirit. Christ takes up residence within the heart of his children. A Christian takes up a New nature; Christ's nature. So what becomes natural for you to do is to do what Christ would do.
                    It's what is not natural for Christ to do, that your old nature desires to do.

By feeding the Spirit; reading God's word and applying it in your life, the flesh dies off. You now are dead to the flesh , and living in the Spirit of Christ.

By feeding the Flesh you are grieving.. or fasting the things of God. You flesh grows and becomes the dominant nature. Your choice to either walk in the flesh, or Spirit, is the battlefield of your mind.

This is why God said to take everything thought captive to the obedience of Christ.

We are to die to the flesh nature.. ( natural feelings, natural needs, natural expressions). We are to die daily!

And when we do not............ we remember our first love and repent, turning again back to our first love; Christ in me the hope of glory.

amen

dht.

Comment

you dont need to leave your house to go to church just have church at home. every time you read your bible this is church. read the bible at home and ask God to show you the truth. try to listen to your holy spirit.

also watchout for false prophets. any men that tells a crowd that hes a prophet is telling a lie and do not follow this church or there teachings.
                      Also you have to make sure that the church your going to is teaching truth. remember scripture clearly tells us that the Lord returns during the last trumpet. If you fear the Lord then you have nothin to worry about. If you love Jesus then the second death has no power over you.

Comment

Why do I have to quit doing things that feel natural to me? I feel like am wasting my life if god isn't there. I never feel him. I am so scared I am being lied to. Ever since I became a christian I have been scared of going to hell and I don;t feel any love.

Just out of curiosity, if God isn't there what difference would it make how you live your life? One of the things that got me thinking about God again was the sense that anything I call an achievement in my lifetime, all my memories etc, will go to the grave with me.

If there's nothing beyond the grave then your memories die with you, so what have you lost by living one way instead of another? Before coming back to God I had concluded that I was wasting my life regardless - if God was there then I wanted to know him (and change my life accordingly) and if he wasn't there then nothing much mattered anyway.
                        24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
                        I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
                        I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
                        1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Comment

Originally posted by SealofGod View Post
                          you dont need to leave your house to go to church just have church at home. every time you read your bible this is church. read the bible at home and ask God to show you the truth. try to listen to your holy spirit.

also watchout for false prophets. any men that tells a crowd that hes a prophet is telling a lie and do not follow this church or there teachings.
                          Also you have to make sure that the church your going to is teaching truth. remember scripture clearly tells us that the Lord returns during the last trumpet. If you fear the Lord then you have nothin to worry about. If you love Jesus then the second death has no power over you.
                          Reading and studying on your own is important, but never a substitute for being together with the church - a local community of believers.

Comment

Bassplayerchick,

You said, "Ever since I First became a Christian...." When did you first become one? Could you share the experience here?
                            Exodus 33:11 (New Living Translation)
                            11 Inside the Tent of Meeting, the Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as one speaks to a friend.

Comment

Faith for me is more like trusting without reservations because I experience whatChrist has done for me from a relational perspective, if that helps at all to consider..

Hell sure is a factor, no one without at least one funcioning brain cell would be able to not "fear hell" as it is presented as an outcome and why..

And thats perhaps the perspective that you might want to reconsider..
                              God is not controlling what you have to do..what He is controlling is giving you a chance to not have the consequence of no choice in this outcome.

Sure he is leading you , me any of us away from that destination and consequence, but His motives are no different than yours would be to step in and try to prevent a child playing with a loaded gun,

If you had a terible abcessed tooth and had to have it removed, the dentist would have to go through some steps to make that happen that would require compliance and obediance on your part to make this happen..nor would that be a bad thing..you would have to have a very low "love" level and unhealthy one of yourself to not want the very same things for you that God does in this respect..

So the boundries and the things God has set up for us in regard to what He asks for us to abide by are not "punative and controling" at all in a negative or selfish way..

This requires some re-examination on your part of the perceptions you have about yourself as perhaps being out of line, and not necessisarily God's motives or heart for you when it comes to what boundries he has set for your life. It sounds a bit like you are the child who does not understand that loaded guns are deadly and just see God as a party pooper by taking away your toys..or the dentist as the villian because you fear of needles distorts your perspective of the dire need to have a bad tooth removed to restore and maintain your health..things that are "loving" in terms of desiring for you as God does, and things you might also consider as "good things" to want for your self as well!

Satan does not want you to be safe or free of the dangers that God desires..so he will impose a lot of distorted lies in ones thinking and feelings to rationalize that we are being "controled" unfairly and selfishly by God..no different than how a Drug pusher gets his "hooks" into a drug addict..

The difference is when we go the way of Satans offers and reasons for them we are only living for a momentary repreive from the ultimate outcome of doing this For "his pleasure"..but God is patient and very wise in that he is willing to endure our "Childish cravings and desires" for the reasons children do..but at no time will ever indulge them..for "oursake"

Thats why I trust God without any reservations..it's not about my fear of the realities of hell but my awareness that Christ has saved me from that ever having to be a reality for me..nor had to, but did so in spite of my love for anything else but him, Christ's faithfulness and love prevailed and overcame all doubts of His intentions and reasons for his ways are indeed worthy and desired for me to abide by.. I do these things you struggle with becauseI want to.., there is no "have to" in my heart or mind at all when it comes down to it.

Hope this helps

YSIC,
                              Grace
                              "On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand, all other ground is sinking sand." My Hope Is Built on Nothing Less, Edward Mote

Comment

Working...
                              X