• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Was Formed Well After the Six Days of Creation

The following study will open the subject of:

Adam Was Formed

Well After the Six Days of Creation

Genesis Chapter 1

…11Then God said, “Let the earth sprout vegetation: plants yielding seed, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit after their kind with seed in them”; and it was so. 12The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed after their kind, and trees bearing fruit with seed in them, after their kind; and God saw that it was good. 13There was evening and there was morning, a third day

…20Then God said, “Let the waters teem with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens.” 21God created the great sea monsters and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarmed after their kind, and every winged bird after its kind; and God saw that it was good. 22God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” 23There was evening and there was morning, a fifth day.

24Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind”; and it was so. 25God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good.

· THEN God created man, male AND female…

26Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. …And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

· God created man, BOTH male and female, on the same day.

Genesis 2

1Thus the heavens and the earth were completed and all their hosts. 2By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

· At this point in time, God COMPLETED ALL that He said He created.

4This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made earth and heaven.

· The very next word in the text indicates a continuation of the historical “account” from that point forward to the “next” event from the previous event. The word is “NOW”, indicating that at the next subsequent point in time, God was continuing to do something.

5Now no shrub of the field was yet in the earth, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted, for the LORD God had not sent rain upon the earth, and there was no man to cultivate the ground. 6But a mist used to rise from the earth and water the whole surface of the ground.

(Note: "There was no man that could cultivate the earth". There were only the hunter/gatherers that were created in the beginning, both male and female. In this lies the reason for misunderstanding. Most believe that "No man to cultivate the ground" to mean that there were NO MEN)

7Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being. 8The LORD God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the man whom He had formed.

· The next event is out of sequence with the description of events of creation in the first chapter of Genesis. It indicates that certain trees were not yet in the earth, yet in the first six days of creation, it clearly states that they were created BEFORE man was created. This indicates a confusion of the account of events or a different sequence of events is “Now” being related.

9Out of the ground the LORD God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

· This is a “planting” and a “caused to grow” and not a “creation”.

18Then the LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.”

· Why was man “alone” when God created them male and female on the same day?

19Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the sky, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called a living creature, that was its name.

· Again, this is out of sequence from Genesis 1. In the first six days, God made the animals and then man. This cannot be the first six days or it contradicts the sequence of events. God was very specific about what He did, and the order of it, on specific days.

20The man gave names to all the cattle, and to the birds of the sky, and to every beast of the field, but for Adam there was not found a helper suitable for him.

· How long did the naming of animals take (considering there are many thousands of species) before Eve was fashioned (on the same day)?

21So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he slept; then He took one of his ribs and closed up the flesh at that place. 22The LORD God fashioned into a woman the rib which He had taken from the man, and brought her to the man.

· Here is a completely different phenomenon. This is NOT, “27God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.”

· God performed a “fashioning” of a woman from the body of a man. This is not God “speaking” a thing into existence and therefore not consistent with the manner in which God performed in the six days of creation.

As a result of failing to see that the Garden of Eden and Adam and Eve were "formed" after the "spoken into existense" creation, Christians have had to try and defend a 6,000 year old creation because we can estimate the length of time from Adam's lineage to Jesus to present. This is solely because we believe that Adam was created along with those who were created male and female "in the beginning".

Cookie 1:26 And I made cookies, some large and some small.... and I made them both on the same day.

Cookie 2:?? and I fashioned cookies, with chocochips and raisins, I used cinnamon and sugar..

and I declared, the cookies were good.

dht

Comment

Did you make cookies by "speaking" them into existense and the same cookies by taking the dust of the ground? Two specific DIFFERENT cooking processes for the same batch?

Did you make cookies and perform other duties that took weeks or months and then add raisins all IN THE SAME DAY?

Was Adam was alone for a couple hours so God said, it is not good when He MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE AT THE SAME TIME?

Adam was alone after God fashioned him from the dust of the ground. He was alone for the weeks and months that he named all of the animals that were brought before him to see if there was a suitible helper. Adam was lonely and he didn't get that way if Eve was there having been created on the same day.

Comment

God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
        God created man on the 6th day, and this finished his creative work of all things, and he rested.

GEN 2
        Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts.
        2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
        3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

The very next word in the text indicates a continuation of the historical “account” from that point forward to the “next” event from the previous event. The word is “NOW”, indicating that at the next subsequent point in time, God was continuing to do something.
        No, have to disagree, he takes you back to early on the third day. It is supplementry , with added details, otherwise it would be contradictory.The author of Gen is no fool.

GEN 2:4
        This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made earth and heaven.

· The next event is out of sequence with the description of events of creation in the first chapter of Genesis. It indicates that certain trees were not yet in the earth, yet in the first six days of creation, it clearly states that they were created BEFORE man was created. This indicates a confusion of the account of events or a different sequence of events is “Now” being related.
        I think the problem is with the way you are understanding it, not that the author of Gen was confused and sloppy and contradicted himself.

Did you know that Gen is composed of 11 documents, its not all one document.
        And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Comment

Thank you Jeffweeder,

You certainly weeded out the misunderstood, and brought clarity and understanding. I guess my attempt at it, was just to flippant.

I do agree with yours. But I had such fun writing mine.

dht

Comment

There are so many tough questions posed by the bible and our faith. Why do each of us, me included, like to make one more important than all the others? This topic seems to be an american war ground mainly. Perhaps we would do well to discuss the other 1,000s of topics and return to this afterwards? This has been given far too much time under different headings and in different forums on this site and always leads to one 'christian' abusing another 'christian.' They will know us by the love amoungst ourselves.
            1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

the issue here is not the lack of love being shown to a brother in Christ, but the lack of love in rightly dividing the word of god , even though we are to love each other as Christians do, we also must Love Gods word and correctly divide it. To not correct a misunderstanding of Gods word to someone who so clearly misunderstands it, is a lack of Love for Gods word. We love our brothers by hoping to bring clearer understanding of its truth.

Now my post was flippant because I was not going to try to explain the truth, thinking the op was already convinced in his mind that he was correct. I was going to just wait until someone else came along to do it. Which I thank Jeffweeder for doing so.

and a good job he did too.
              dht

Comment

Chapter one of Genesis basically summarizes what God did on each day. Covering Day one thru Day seven.

Chapter 2 just simply narrows the lense on to one particular day (Day 6). Why?? What was his most important creation during all of this? We were.....mankind.

Since the Bible is basically God's redemptive plan for a sinful man, it is important to detail the account on how we fell from grace. That is what chapter 2 does for us.

Comment

I am completely familiar with the accepted understanding of the creation account as it is understood by all who group Adam's "formation" from the dust of the ground and Eve's "fashioning" from Adam's rib as part of the six days of creation.

This "understanding" is responsible for Christians having to defend the scientifically impossible position that the earth is only 6,000 years old because Adam's lineage can be estimated.

This "misunderstanding" cannot account for the obvious scientific evidence and acheological evidence that exist in the fossil record. This is why anyone remotely educated in the sciences must reject the Genesis account (as faithful Christians understand it) based on the EVIDENCE they observe. Faithful Christians for centuries have misunderstood the account. Faithful Christians today defend the faithful Christians of old who had no scientific investigative method of forming their understanding of what and how and when God created everything. The only reason why we do not today believe that the world is not flat nor is the center of the universe is because it has been scientifically observed and proven. Otherwise, the prevailing "misunderstanding" would be what the faithful would defend, believing themselves to be faithful to God's word, while denying the truth of what God Himself has engineered.

Many recorded biblical accounts occurred approximately 3500 years ago. That means that that recent historical account occurred only 2500 years after creation. That means that all the dinosaurs, prehistoric fossils, all of the evidence of mankind and verifyable and very old and VERY LONG archeological evidence ALL lived and died in only 2,500 year period. Maybe that was acceptible to the average Christian in the year 1400, but now it is absolutely dismissed by the average Christian who has any exposure to the scientific evidence. THEREFORE, we must re-examine what we believe and why we believe what we believe to see if WE have misunderstood instead of saying that Galileo was wrong because we "believe what we believe".

For me, I decided to examine it and not dismiss the POSSIBILITY that something was wrong with, not how GOD did things, and not when GOD did things, but how WE may have misunderstood things and deny that POSSIBLITY, and so, never examine it again.

"I think the problem is with the way you are understanding it, not that the author of Gen was confused and sloppy and contradicted himself."

Precisely! God was not confused and sloppy or contradicted Himself. If there are obvious descrepancies which can be itemized, examined and discussed to see if WE have misunderstood what He did PERFECTLY, IN ORDER, AND IN EXACT SEQUENCE, we are a sorry lot if we dismiss the examination of our understanding, thinking that we are faithful to God and that we are questioning HIM instead of OUR understanding.

God's Word will stand up to the closest scrutiny. We are not doing God a service by seeing something that doesn't line up with the most simple understanding of a person's account and asking, "How can these two distinctly different accounts be the same account?" We jump to God's defense, "There are no desrepancies because I cannot have misunderstood and I must be faithful to defend God!"

The Genesis account of creation has absolutely irreconcilable contradictions that God did NOT engineer IF Adam and Eve were made on the same day and in the begining. Therefore, it MUST be something we misunderstood. If Adam and Eve were formed in the creation that took place in the first six days, there are SPECIFIC IRRECONCILABLE CONTRADICTIONS right in the midst of the account. If Adam and Eve were formed 6,000 years ago in a separate, special intention of God, thousands of years AFTER God created man male and female in the beginning, the irreconcilable contradictions disappear and the scientific and archeological evidence completely align to what God actually did.

If there is no possibility to examine and discuss it, then I guess this is a closed issue and Christians will have to live in a world where science and the Word of our God do not perfectly align as God has intended, while attempting to defend the indefensible.

It was the "religionists" who burned scientists at the stake for suggesting that the earth was not the center of the universe. They were clearly the all-knowing authority at the time. What a sad lot indeed.

Science will only prove out what God has created. To assume that a several thousand year old understanding of scripture with no scientific knowledge at the time would be the final understanding on the subject for all time and that there would be no possible revelation that science could contribute at the cost of that accepted understanding is absurd. Science is not the enemy of God's word. It is an ally. It can be, however, an enemy of the close-minded who cannot bring themselves to consider that there may be something that was not yet observable 2,000 years ago that can shed LIGHT on God's account of how and when, He created all things.

Comment

Originally posted by The Shadow View Post
                    Chapter one of Genesis basically summarizes what God did on each day. Covering Day one thru Day seven.

Chapter 2 just simply narrows the lense on to one particular day (Day 6). Why?? What was his most important creation during all of this? We were.....mankind.

Since the Bible is basically God's redemptive plan for a sinful man, it is important to detail the account on how we fell from grace. That is what chapter 2 does for us.
                    That is the accepted understanding of the account.

Are you willing to examine to see if there is any reason to question what you believe based on objective (not predetermined) investigation?

It is not an attack on God to question why we believe what we believe. It makes sure that we have personally heard, reasoned and understand what we tell others about God's word. I don't want to believe that the earth is the center of the universe because all of the religious authorities say it is. I want to know the truth. In the 1400's you would have been labled a heritic to question the possibility that maybe what everyone believes may not be accurate.

There are SPECIFIC things to examine and not explain away. Once examined they require thoughtful consideration with the understanding that, "I may not know everything already".
                    Last edited by rhamlet; Dec 4th 2007, 06:27 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

So who are these people that were spoken into existence (as opposed to the God-breathed Adam in your theology)?
                      One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism, One God and Father over us all.

Comment

Hello rhamlet

I do not have time for or intellect to give this a proper debate. Used to be I may have agreed with what you are getting at, but not now. I too learned the facts that science teachs public school kids. Thought it must be true because they said so. But science can not explain a God that can create the universe but I do believe in Our Creator, and the salvation offered through his Son, Jesus. Not only science but many religions fail to grasp this truth. Even some that acknowledge Jesus lived deny his divine nature. Truth is science is just another belief system, one that only offers the hope that our flesh will be recycled by nature when we die. I prefer to believe in God and eternal salvation.

Peace be yours, Stan
                        When you have lost your mind use someone elses

Comment

This is only a problem if you want to make Genesis strictly literal. There are quite a number or such "errors", which are not errors at all, if you understand that it is allegorical.

Comment

Originally posted by treeindawind View Post
                            Hello rhamlet

I do not have time for or intellect to give this a proper debate. Used to be I may have agreed with what you are getting at, but not now. I too learned the facts that science teachs public school kids. Thought it must be true because they said so. But science can not explain a God that can create the universe but I do believe in Our Creator, and the salvation offered through his Son, Jesus. Not only science but many religions fail to grasp this truth. Even some that acknowledge Jesus lived deny his divine nature. Truth is science is just another belief system, one that only offers the hope that our flesh will be recycled by nature when we die. I prefer to believe in God and eternal salvation.

Peace be yours, Stan
                            Hi Stan,

I know that this is going to sound rude, but I do not mean it to be. If you say, "I do not have the time or intelect to give this a proper debate", then why do you feel it is appropriate to give your opinion? If you don't have the time or knowledge to support what you believe, then you should read what others who are willing to discuss a matter to get to the truth, and not comment. Again, I do not mean to be disrespectful.

I do, however, completely agree that the school system and the "world" in general have turned science into a religion to support an atheistic/evolutionary world view. This does not, however, make objective, unbiased scientific investigation and knowledge void of merit because many use it to promote falsehood.

Science can not be used to prove God's existence or that God created everything. It cannot go beyond what is seen and observable. Since science has never seen anything "created" it cannot support, or deny, the claim that all things were created by God. Unfortunately, science HAS over-stepped the bounds of "evidence" and has devoted itself to "theory" of our origins and thus promote the lie of evolution.

I will say that science has discovered vast numbers of existinct dinosaur bones and human remains that date back to MANY thousands of years before Adam appeared just 6,000 years ago. It should not be scientists, but Christians, who ask, "Why do I believe that the earth is only six thousand years old and could there be something to consider in the scriptures that may be a perfect explaination to the obvious problem of the earths longevity in the Genesis account?" There is an answer and the Lord would have us dig in to see what He has done.

So many are afraid that to investigate a seeming contradiction or evidence to the contrary of what they believe the scripture to mean, that they themselves are guilty of clinging to a belief that flies in the face of evidence rather than seeking to find the trurh that is there to be discovered and shared.

Comment

Steve,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Finally a question that asks, "How can these things be?"

Originally posted by Steve M View Post
                              So who are these people that were spoken into existence (as opposed to the God-breathed Adam in your theology)?
                              Six times God “SAID” and a part of creation occurred in response to His spoken word. All other spoken commands were to bring order to what He had created. Twice the account says “God created”, both times referring to the previous scripture of something He had just spoken into existence.

· Day 1 God created “the heavens”, earth, and light.
                              · Day 2 God created “heaven”.
                              · Day 3 God created vegetation.
                              · Day 4 God created the sun and the moon.
                              · Day 5 God created the sea creatures and birds.
                              · Day 6 God created the beasts of the earth and …man…male and female

In the beginning God created a great deal of vegetation of all different kinds, waters teeming with creatures of all different kinds, and created man…male and female.
                              Question: How many men and women were created? How many kinds of men were created?

Genesis Verse 1:26 Then God SAID, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over all the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

1:27 And God created man (referencing the previous spoken creation) in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

1:28 And God blessed them; and God said to them, Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

1:29 Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you;…

Chapter 2

2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were COMPLETED, and ALL their hosts.

The verses clearly indicate that during creation the work was COMPLETED and ALL THEIR HOSTS. The Webster’s dictionary defines hosts as multitudes. ALL THEIR MULTITUDES WERE COMPLETED.

Questions:

· Did God create multitudes of fish, sea creatures and birds of all kinds, thus completing His work concerning them?

· Did God create multitudes of beasts, cattle and creeping things, thus completing His work concerning them?

· Did God create multitudes of “man” of varying skin color, bone structure, and location on earth, thus completing His work concerning them?

2:2 And by the seventh day God completed His work which He had done; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

2:3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had CREATED and made (ordered).

2:4 This is the account of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord made earth and heaven.

The End. Creation was complete and ALL ITS MULTITUDES. All its vegetation, multitudes of creatures in the sea, multitudes of birds, multitudes of beasts, multitudes of creeping things, and multitudes of “man”. You will not see another scripture saying, “Then God said” …and it was so. Everything that was created in the first six days was spoken into existence. EVERYTHING and in great numbers.

It was after this entire creation, in all its fullness, teeming with life of every kind including man made male and female, that God rested. The next verses begin to describe the new way God was working on what he had created. Just 6,000 years ago He made a garden, he formed a man from the dust of the ground (did not "speak" him male and female into existence). Later, after God brought all the animals in His creation before Adam to see if there was a "suitable helper", not finding one, God "fashioned" Eve from Adam's rib. This is NOT what is described when God "said" Let us make man..." and it was so.

This was different. This was not a "creative" action but taking a substance already created in the beginning, dirt, and forming it into a man.

There are more convincing proofs which I can offer, but I don't want to be accused of giving too much to read. Following accounts of Cain being put out of the garden also clearly indicate that men were outside the garden who may harm him. God acknowledged Cain's concern by marking him to prevent it.

Comment

Working...
                              X