Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not Ron Paul?

First of all, allow me to issue a few disclaimers:

- I am a baptized Christian and a member at an independent evangelical Christian church.
    - I am not a Republican, nor a member of any other political party.
    - I have never contributed financially to any political campaign, though I may do so on 12/16/2007, as part of Tea Party 07.
    - I am an American citizen and a registered voter, and have participated in every even-year election since 1994.

Now, with that out of the way, I am genuinely wondering why mainstream Christianity is not in support of Rep. Paul for President. It hasn't made the headlines that some other Christian-related political news has, but seems to be an unexplained byline in a lot of mainstream media stories. In opposition to this I offer the following facts:

- Rep. Paul is a Baptist.
    - He and wife celebrated their golden anniversary on February 1st.
    - He is clearly a "pro-life" candidate.
    - Although he is in favor of stem cell research, Rep. Paul opposes federal legislation that would support it.
    - Unlike some other candidates, he has shown fiscal responsibility.
    - He has voted repeatedly against legislation that favors same-sex relationships.

So... why do I continue to see news like this:

- A July 2007 Gallup poll contrasting support of Paul with church attendance.
    - Pat Robertson's endorsement of Rudy Giuliani.
    - Bob Jones III's endorsement of Mitt Romney.
    - Meanwhile, endorsements for Rep. Paul from groups like white supremacists and a brothel owner are making headlines (because, you know, that's what Fox considers news).

Why aren't Christians getting behind this guy? Yeah, I'm obviously in support of him, but it's an honest question, and I'm open to honest answers. It's something I'm genuinely wondering about.

J
    "Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples." - John 13:35 NLT

I'm not against Ron. He's definitely more ideal to me than alot of the other candidates. I simply stand behind Huckabee because his positions most closely resemble my own. If Ron Paul won the primaries, I would definitely vote for him though.
    Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

Comment

Ron Paul seems to be the Internet poster boy. I agree with much of what he says but when it comes to foreign policy well I do not totally agree. I too would support him if he gets nominated.

Comment

I've often wondered the same thing misfit. Proud Ron Paul supporter here.

Welcome to the forums, by the way! Glad to have you here.

Comment

Ron Paul is a total bonehead on terrorism. On everything else he gets an A-plus though. Its sad, if Bush somehow gets our troops out of Iraq before the primaries I'd vote for him.

Comment

He's got my vote.
            Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
            -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

I am voting for Ron Paul. He's the best candidate in some time.

I haven't heard any Christian groups denying him, he has full NRA support, and he sticks to his issues.

Comment

I won't vote for him in the primaries because he has such bad ideas about terrorism and the war. He's great in every other area (at least on paper), but he fails miserably in this one.
                Lord bless and keep you,
                Courtney

Christ says, "Give me your all. I don't want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work; I want you. I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it." - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by HisBlood View Post
                  I won't vote for him in the primaries because he has such bad ideas about terrorism and the war. He's great in every other area (at least on paper), but he fails miserably in this one.
                  How so? You said something similar in a different Ron Paul thread I believe, and I was wondering what you meant by it?

Comment

Ron Paul has my vote too.
                    And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. (1 Corinthians 13:13)

Comment

How so? You said something similar in a different Ron Paul thread I believe, and I was wondering what you meant by it?
                      Did you ask me that in the other thread? I'm sorry if I didn't answer you. I had forgotten I posted about this in a different thread.

Without getting into a political and policy debate, I personally don't like his policy of pulling out of Iraq and becoming essentially isolationists. I don't think now is quite the time to be changing our minds.
                      Lord bless and keep you,
                      Courtney

Christ says, "Give me your all. I don't want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work; I want you. I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it." - C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by HisBlood View Post
                        Did you ask me that in the other thread? I'm sorry if I didn't answer you. I had forgotten I posted about this in a different thread.

Without getting into a political and policy debate, I personally don't like his policy of pulling out of Iraq and becoming essentially isolationists. I don't think now is quite the time to be changing our minds.
                        Oh, no worries! I didn't ask you before. I just thought to ask now.
                        I understand your viewpoint. He's actually been asked about that alot in interviews and debates. His response is that he isn't an isolationist, but he believes that we shouldn't be involved in "entangling alliances" and that we shouldn't interfere in the internal affairs of other countries. That's the Constitutional position.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew 12:21 View Post
                          Oh, no worries! I didn't ask you before. I just thought to ask now.
                          I understand your viewpoint. He's actually been asked about that alot in interviews and debates. His response is that he isn't an isolationist, but he believes that we shouldn't be involved in "entangling alliances" and that we shouldn't interfere in the internal affairs of other countries. That's the Constitutional position.

Eh, still don't agree with it.
                          Lord bless and keep you,
                          Courtney

Comment

He's kooky.
                            9/11 'truthers', conspiracy theorists, white supremacists, and assorted other strange groups like him. That fact alone makes me quite nervous.

Comment

No they are kooky.

Dr. Ron Paul is not.
                              He has delivered many babies.
                              He has written many books.
                              And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. (1 Corinthians 13:13)

Comment

Working...
                              X