Worrying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worrying

What scriptures calm you down? Also why do they?

Edit:

Also how come God says not to worry and he'll supply our needs such as food, clothing etc... Aren't there millions of people in the world praying to god but they still die of starvation... ?

Originally posted by Scottizzle View Post

Edit:

Also how come God says not to worry and he'll supply our needs such as food, clothing etc... Aren't there millions of people in the world praying to god but they still die of starvation... ?
    Are you sure that's what it says?

Matthew 6:25-34
    25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
    One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism, One God and Father over us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve M View Post
      Are you sure that's what it says?

Matthew 6:25-34
      25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-worry.html

"He encourages us to avoid worrying about our physical needs like clothing and food. Jesus assures us that our Heavenly Father will take care of all our needs"

They say that on the link I found, also another website said something similar... I guess it's all in the translations...? I trust that God will provide everything nonetheless.

Comment

I don't have any specific verses I turn to when I'm going through a trial or tribulation, I think the "scriptures" in general do it for me, wherever I am in my Bible reading.

I'm not that much of a worrier really, my faith in Christ and His word keeps my head up and my heart comforted day by day.

Edit:

A number of questions would have to be answered before you could draw such a conclusion methinks. God's know why they are dying of starvation, if they are truly His people then I wouldn't be so sure He is letting them starve and die without some kind of help or provision!
        - Matt -
        Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing
        of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

Comment

Originally posted by Soj_NZ View Post
          I don't have any specific verses I turn to when I'm going through a trial or tribulation, I think the "scriptures" in general do it for me, wherever I am in my Bible reading.

I'm not that much of a worrier really, my faith in Christ and His word keeps my head up and my heart comforted day by day.

A number of questions would have to be answered before you could draw such a conclusion methinks. God's know why they are dying of starvation, if they are truly His people then I wouldn't be so sure He is letting them starve and die without some kind of help or provision!

Actually I believe that a bit too, though I cannot be sure... I just put that out there to get some answers.

Comment

The title of this thread called to me. "Worrying" - that's probably one of the biggest things I struggle with in my walk with the Lord. I know he's in control, but I have to remind myself that His plans for my life are so much greater than I could ever even imagine for myself. I remind myself by thinking of these scriptures:

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future."
            (I love this verse so much, I used it as part of my screen name)

1 Corinthians 2:9 No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him.

Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,who have been called according to his purpose.
            In the New Year, may your right hand always be stretched out in friendship, but never in want.

Comment

Edit:

The general principle behind the following passages has gone a long, long way towards lessening my worry and anxiety about difficult circumstances that I encounter.:

Heb 12:4 In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, 6 because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." 7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? 8 If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! 10 Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Rom 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3 Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Knowing that whatever comes into my life the Father is bringing into my life for a wonderful purpose has helped me to see things in a different light. "Bad things" can be received with joy when I know that God is using it for His ultimate good.

I'm still practicing this attitude ... I can't say it comes naturally.

Also, I second SteveM's point. Worrying about what may or may not happen in the future (tomorrow) is worse than pointless. It robs us of peace. We can rest in knowing that whatever comes, God's purposes for us will be served, and His purpose for us is always good. Today has enough trouble of it's own, and God is with us in our todays, so need to worry about them either.

Here's a great article on worrying about the future:

Future Tripping
              Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

Comment

33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
                Good virse, People can pray all they want for there needs to be blessed, but if they don't seek first "God, and HIS way of doing and being right" they they could be in trouble.
                Understanding the bible is simple...

First know God; then you will know His Word.

Comment

In answer to your first question, which verse calms me down:
                  I like Isaiah 55:8-9-"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts."

I might not understand things but my God does. He sees what I can't...He knows what I don't. I trust Him.

As to your other question about millions praying to god..I have to ask which god? How do you know that those millions are praying to the Father through the Son, Jesus Christ? I'm not saying that Christians don't suffer, but if you have heard of missionaries that suffered they often will tell you that there hearts were filled with peace and the grace of God was upon them.
                  If God says that He provides and your saying "well if He does why are there starving people calling out to Him ..." you are sort of saying that God's Word does not speak truth. I would ask Him!
                  .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
                  .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Originally posted by karenoka27 View Post
                    In answer to your first question, which verse calms me down:
                    I like Isaiah 55:8-9-"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts."

I might not understand things but my God does. He sees what I can't...He knows what I don't. I trust Him.

As to your other question about millions praying to god..I have to ask which god? How do you know that those millions are praying to the Father through the Son, Jesus Christ? I'm not saying that Christians don't suffer, but if you have heard of missionaries that suffered they often will tell you that there hearts were filled with peace and the grace of God was upon them.
                    If God says that He provides and your saying "well if He does why are there starving people calling out to Him ..." you are sort of saying that God's Word does not speak truth. I would ask Him!

Well I've to thinking this, God will provide food and clothes and for all of you who say "No, he won't." I disagree with you. He said I am more valuable than several birds and they're taken care of in terms of food and places to sleep, so that suggests that he WILL take care and provide...

Close this thread if you could mods.

Comment

Working...
                    X