Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blasphemy...do we really know WHAT it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blasphemy...do we really know WHAT it is?

I had a general feeling for the definition of the word "blasphemy" and I decided that since blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the unforgiveable sin, it might behoove me to make absolutely certain I knew exactly what it is. So I looked it up at Dictionary.com

blas·phe·my /ˈblęsmi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[blas-fuh-mee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun, plural -mies. 1.impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things. 2.Judaism. a.an act of cursing or reviling God. b.pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton (YHVH) in the original, now forbidden manner instead of using a substitute pronunciation such as Adonai. 3.Theology. the crime of assuming to oneself the rights or qualities of God. 4.irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred, priceless, etc.: He uttered blasphemies against life itself.
    [Origin: 1175–1225; ME blasphemie < LL blasphémia < Gk. See blasphemous, -y3]

—Synonyms 1. profanity, cursing, swearing; sacrilege, impiety.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.American Heritage Dictionary - blas·phe·my (blās'fə-mē)
    n. pl. blas·phe·mies
    1. <LI minmax_bound="true">
      1. <LI minmax_bound="true">A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity.
      2. The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.
    2. An irreverent or impious act, attitude, or utterance in regard to something considered inviolable or sacrosanct.
    [Middle English blasfemie, from Late Latin blasphēmia, from Greek blasphēmiā, from blasphēmein, to blaspheme; see blaspheme.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.Online Etymology Dictionary
    blasphemy

c.1225, from O.Fr. blasfemie, from L.L. blasphemia, from Gk. blasphemia "profane, speech, slander," from blasphemein "to speak evil of." Second element is pheme "utterance" (see fame); first element uncertain, perhaps related to blaptikos "hurtful," though blax "slack (in body and mind), stupid" has also been suggested.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas HarperWordNet - blasphemy
    noun1. blasphemous language (expressing disrespect for God or for something sacred) 2. blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character; "desecration of the Holy Sabbath" [syn: profanation]
    WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law
    Main Entry: blas·phe·my
    Pronunciation: 'blas-f&-mE
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form: plural -mies
    : the crime of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God or a religion and its doctrines and writings and esp. God as perceived by Christianity and Christian doctrines and writings —see also Amendment I to the CONSTITUTION in the back matter
    NOTE: In many states, blasphemy statutes have been repealed as contrary to the First Amendment.
    Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law, © 1996 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary
    Blasphemy
    In the sense of speaking evil of God this word is found in Ps. 74:18; Isa. 52:5; Rom. 2:24; Rev. 13:1, 6; 16:9, 11, 21. It denotes also any kind of calumny, or evil-speaking, or abuse (1 Kings 21:10; Acts 13:45; 18:6, etc.). Our Lord was accused of blasphemy when he claimed to be the Son of God (Matt. 26:65; comp. Matt. 9:3; Mark 2:7). They who deny his Messiahship blaspheme Jesus (Luke 22:65; John 10:36). Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost (Matt. 12:31, 32; Mark 3:28, 29; Luke 12:10) is regarded by some as a continued and obstinate rejection of the gospel, and hence is an unpardonable sin, simply because as long as a sinner remains in unbelief he voluntarily excludes himself from pardon. Others regard the expression as designating the sin of attributing to the power of Satan those miracles which Christ performed, or generally those works which are the result of the Spirit's agency.
    Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

This one:
    1. The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.
    really struck me, since there are televangelists claiming equality with God, claiming that we ARE Gods and equal to God.
    Preach the Gospel at all times. When necessary, use words. St. Francis of Assisi
    No reserve (from God, no holding back)
    No retreat (from God, no turning back)
    No regrets (from God, no looking back)

Well Hoot,

And i have thought about this topic much. What struck you here:
    The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.
    Has struck me also, and i wondered, don't "we" do exactly that anytime we deny God, and do our own thing ?
    Remember afte the disobedience and fall of Adam and Eve He said they have become like "one of us" and the serpent said they would be "like God".... which means one takes all authority upon themselves instead of letting God have it.

Shalom,
    Tanja
    Last edited by Jesusinmyheart; Dec 11th 2007, 01:57 PM.
    Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
    2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
    If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
    http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by hootinannie View Post
      I had a general feeling for the definition of the word "blasphemy" and I decided that since blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the unforgiveable sin, it might behoove me to make absolutely certain I knew exactly what it is.
      I think most of us will agree that there is only one unforgiveable sin, and it is committing blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Therefore I looked through my Bible to find mention of occassions where it was stated in writting that a person or group of persons would not be forgiven for certain acts. From this study it appears to me that "the unforgiveable sin" has a broader definition than what we have previously given it. I believe we have been defining it too narrowly in the past for whatever reasons.

This will be my attempt to define what acts may be included in the unforgiveable sin, based soley on what I see in the Bible

1. Acts of rebellion against Him receive no forgiveness

Exo 23:21 Be on guard before Him, and listen to His voice. Do not be rebellious against Him, for He will not forgive your transgressions; for My name is in Him.

Lam 3:42 We have transgressed and rebelled; You, You have not forgiven.

2. Those whose heart turns away from the Lord receive no forgiveness

Deut 29:18 that there not be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turns away today from Jehovah our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you today a root that bears gall and wormwood;
      Deut 29:19 and it happens when he hears the words of this curse, that he should bless himself in his heart, saying, I shall have peace, even though I walk in the stubbornness of my heart, to snatch away the drunken with the thirsty.
      Deut 29:20 Jehovah will not be willing to forgive him, for then Jehovah's anger and His zeal shall smoke, and His zeal shall be against that man, and all the curses written in this book shall lie upon him. And Jehovah shall blot out his name from under the heavens.

3. Those who forsake the Lord receive no forgiveness

Josh 24:19 And Joshua said unto the people, Ye cannot serve Jehovah; for he is a holy God; he is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgression nor your sins.
      Josh 24:20 If ye forsake Jehovah, and serve foreign gods, then he will turn and do you evil, and consume you, after that he hath done you good.

4. Acting defiantly means a person retains his guilt (iniquity) and in his being completely cut off

Num 15:30 But the person who does anything defiantly, whether he is native or an alien, that one is blaspheming the LORD; and that person shall be cut off from among his people.
      Num 15:31 Because he hath despised the word the LORD, and hath broken his commandment, that person shall utterly be completely cut off; his guilt shall be on him.

5. Speaking against the Holy Spirit is an act which receives no forgiveness.

Mat 12:32 whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, not in this age nor in the coming one.

Having looked at the above verses, and by using a broader brush stroke to paint a definition of "the unforgiveable sin" I believe this sin can possibly be defined as any of the following acts:
      1. Rebellion against Him
      2. Having a heart that turns away from the Lord
      3. forsaking the Lord
      4. Acts of defiance against Him
      5. Evil Speaking against Him
      If the Calvinistic Westminister Confession is true (that "God from all eternity did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass"), then God ordained my disbelief of Calvinism.

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree with this alethos:

From this study it appears to me that "the unforgiveable sin" has a broader definition than what we have previously given it. I believe we have been defining it too narrowly in the past for whatever reasons.
        Shalom,
        Tanja
        Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
        2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
        If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
        http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/

Comment

I had a general feeling for the definition of the word "blasphemy" and I decided that since blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the unforgiveable sin, it might behoove me to make absolutely certain I knew exactly what it is. So I looked it up at Dictionary.com

and hence is an unpardonable sin, simply because as long as a sinner The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.
          really struck me, since there are televangelists claiming equality with God, claiming that we ARE Gods and equal to God.
          Greetings Hootinannie,

What I find interesting in Scripture is that the Lord says ALL blasphemy will be forgiven except one particular form of blasphemy, which we agree is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Mt 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.
          Mt 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Mr 3:28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
          Mr 3:29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation:
          Mr 3:30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

Even Paul called himself a blasphemer, but says he was shown mercy because he did it in ignorance and unbelief.

1Ti 1:13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.

It seems the particular blasphemy against the Holy Spirit that will never be forgiven in this world or the world to come was specifically speaking to those pharisee's, who claimed the miracles Christ did came from the power of the devil and were not from God. This was not a sin committed in ignorance because the pharisee's knew Who Christ was, and Who had sent Him. The pharisee's were jealous because so many people were following Christ, so they deliberately tried to deceive the masses into believing that Christ's power was something to fear, rather than from God.

Joh 3:1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
          Joh 3:2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

I suppose it could be those who claim for themselves the attributes of God, but I wonder whether this specific blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, that is knowing Who the Lord is, and Who sent Him, and telling others the power of God comes from the devil is a sin that could only be committed by those living in the time when Christ was here bodily? Accusing Christ of working miracles in the power of the devil could only be committed by those who were present to witness the miracles done by Christ as He walked on this earth. But, then again, I suppose it possible that those living today, claiming to themselves the powers of God, could be doing so to make a name for themselves, and to reap financial gain knowingly. I suppose there are pharisee's in every generation. Those who would rather show themselves to be as God, but who are under the power of satan, and think themselves able to do the works of God rather than admit that all the power is of God alone.

Many Blessings,
          RW

Comment

This one:
            1. The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.
            really struck me, since there are televangelists claiming equality with God, claiming that we ARE Gods and equal to God.[/quote]
            I have thought about this too.......I always have thought blasphemy was attributing the works of God to someone else. And if the works are not attributed to God, then they are being attributed to the devil.....

So, in essence you are denying the truth of God and Jesus Christ....

One more thought...the way to hell is not beleiving Jesus is the Son of God..that is what it is all about rejecting Jesus Christ and choosing the world of Satan.

Comment

Originally posted by alethos View Post
              I think most of us will agree that there is only one unforgiveable sin, and it is committing blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Therefore I looked through my Bible to find mention of occassions where it was stated in writting that a person or group of persons would not be forgiven for certain acts. From this study it appears to me that "the unforgiveable sin" has a broader definition than what we have previously given it. I believe we have been defining it too narrowly in the past for whatever reasons.

This will be my attempt to define what acts may be included in the unforgiveable sin, based soley on what I see in the Bible

1. Acts of rebellion against Him receive no forgiveness

Exo 23:21 Be on guard before Him, and listen to His voice. Do not be rebellious against Him, for He will not forgive your transgressions; for My name is in Him.

Lam 3:42 We have transgressed and rebelled; You, You have not forgiven.

2. Those whose heart turns away from the Lord receive no forgiveness

Deut 29:18 that there not be among you man, or woman, or family, or tribe, whose heart turns away today from Jehovah our God, to go and serve the gods of these nations; lest there should be among you today a root that bears gall and wormwood;
              Deut 29:19 and it happens when he hears the words of this curse, that he should bless himself in his heart, saying, I shall have peace, even though I walk in the stubbornness of my heart, to snatch away the drunken with the thirsty.
              Deut 29:20 Jehovah will not be willing to forgive him, for then Jehovah's anger and His zeal shall smoke, and His zeal shall be against that man, and all the curses written in this book shall lie upon him. And Jehovah shall blot out his name from under the heavens.

3. Those who forsake the Lord receive no forgiveness

Josh 24:19 And Joshua said unto the people, Ye cannot serve Jehovah; for he is a holy God; he is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgression nor your sins.
              Josh 24:20 If ye forsake Jehovah, and serve foreign gods, then he will turn and do you evil, and consume you, after that he hath done you good.

4. Acting defiantly means a person retains his guilt (iniquity) and in his being completely cut off

Num 15:30 But the person who does anything defiantly, whether he is native or an alien, that one is blaspheming the LORD; and that person shall be cut off from among his people.
              Num 15:31 Because he hath despised the word the LORD, and hath broken his commandment, that person shall utterly be completely cut off; his guilt shall be on him.

5. Speaking against the Holy Spirit is an act which receives no forgiveness.

Mat 12:32 whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, not in this age nor in the coming one.

Having looked at the above verses, and by using a broader brush stroke to paint a definition of "the unforgiveable sin" I believe this sin can possibly be defined as any of the following acts:
              1. Rebellion against Him
              3. forsaking the Lord
              Two things strike me here. All of the verses you gave except for the last one are old testament verses. When Jesus came, He provided forgiveness for all sin EXCEPT blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

When you are quoting scripture, please keep it in context. The verse immediately prior to Matt. 12:32, (Jesus is speaking here) which you quoted, says this:

Matt. 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Hoot

PS...sorry Roger...you made that point well. I'm in a rush this morning and replied to alethos post before I saw yours.
              Preach the Gospel at all times. When necessary, use words. St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Two things strike me here. All of the verses you gave except for the last one are old testament verses. When Jesus came, He provided forgiveness for all sin EXCEPT blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

When you are quoting scripture, please keep it in context. The verse immediately prior to Matt. 12:32, (Jesus is speaking here) which you quoted, says this:

Matt. 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Hoot
                So when God says in the OT verses which I provided there is no forgiveness, He didn't really mean there was no forgiveness.
                If the Calvinistic Westminister Confession is true (that "God from all eternity did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass"), then God ordained my disbelief of Calvinism.

Comment

So when God says in the OT verses which I provided there is no forgiveness, He didn't really mean there was no forgiveness.
                  Maybe under the law there wasn't, but was Jesus God in the flesh or wasn't He? HE said "ALL MANNER OF SIN AND BLASPHEMY shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. " So I guess the question is "did Emmanuel (God with us) lie? If yes, then he is not God, if He is God, the answer is NO.

The Bible says "let God be true and every man a liar" So, since Jesus said it, He's either God or He's not. If He is the TRUTH, then He did not lie.

Hoot

Comment

Maybe under the law there wasn't, but was Jesus God in the flesh or wasn't He? HE said "ALL MANNER OF SIN AND BLASPHEMY shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. " So I guess the question is "did Emmanuel (God with us) lie? If yes, then he is not God, if He is God, the answer is NO.

The Bible says "let God be true and every man a liar" So, since Jesus said it, He's either God or He's not. If He is the TRUTH, then He did not lie.

Hoot
                    God said there was no forgiveness for those acts. You state there is. Who we gonna believe? Does the NT negate the OT. Can we just go to the NT and eliiminate whatever we want from the old. Do we have two different God's one of the OT and one of the NT? Scripture is clear that God doesn't change (Mal 3:6 For I, Jehovah, change not). We find the same thing concerning Christ who is God in the NT. Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and to-day, yea and for ever. The things which were written in the OT was written for those of us who believe today are intended to be examples for us. Rom 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning. Again those things that were written in the OT was written down to provide us examples, so we don't make the same mistakes those in the OT did. 1 Cor 10:6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted. 1 Cor 10:11 Now these things happened unto them by way of example; and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come. Believer's today need both Testaments. We need an entire Bible, not a part of a Bible. Jesus quoted from the OT. The apostles didn't have the New Testament. They used the OT, and so should we, along with the NT.

Comment

God said there was no forgiveness for those acts. You state there is. Who we gonna believe? Does the NT negate the OT. Can we just go to the NT and eliiminate whatever we want from the old. Do we have two different God's one of the OT and one of the NT? Scripture is clear that God doesn't change (Mal 3:6 For I, Jehovah, change not). We find the same thing concerning Christ who is God in the NT. Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and to-day, yea and for ever. The things which were written in the OT was written for those of us who believe today are intended to be examples for us. Rom 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning. Again those things that were written in the OT was written down to provide us examples, so we don't make the same mistakes those in the OT did. 1 Cor 10:6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted. 1 Cor 10:11 Now these things happened unto them by way of example; and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come. Believer's today need both Testaments. We need an entire Bible, not a part of a Bible. Jesus quoted from the OT. The apostles didn't have the New Testament. They used the OT, and so should we, along with the NT.
                      Jesus said that this peculiar blasphemy would not be forgiven in this age, nor in the age to come. This would indicate that there would be forgiveness in the age to come, that was not forgiven in that age. The thief on the cross that was forgiven, still suffered the wages of his sin.
                      Those who transgressed in the OT, were clearly punished in that age, for their transgressions according to the demands of the law.
                      Would a just God, punish a man twice for the same offence?

Comment

No...I'M not stating there is forgiveness for all sins and blasphemy except for that against the Holy Spirit. JESUS said that!! So who are you going to believe??? IS JESUS GOD or isn't He? Did He mean what He said? Jesus was the sacrifice for ALL our sin and blasphemy except that against the Holy Spirit. Jesus said I say unto you...He wasn't just quoting some old testament scripture. HE (GOD) said that all manner of sin...etc.. So you must decide whether you're going to believe the words out of Jesus's mouth...He, who IS the TRUTH...Jesus didn't just say He spoke the truth...He said, "I AM the way, the TRUTH, and the life." Maybe we don't understand why some scriptures are put the way they are put, but to say that Jesus didn't mean what He said, or that what He said isn't true is nothing short of calling God a liar. Lying is sin, and Jesus never lied....so if He said "all manner of sin and blasphemy can be forgiven except that against the Holy Spirit, then that's the way it is. The Bible also says, "Let God be true and every man a liar". If Jesus is God, then ALL manner of sin and blasphemy can be forgiven man except for blasphemy against the Holy Spirit". Jesus did bring about some NEW things in the new testament....the old testament had all the law...Jesus said, "A NEW commandment I give unto you." Since Jesus was God, He could give new instructions. I just did a study on the Two Covenants. So many people don't realize what a covenant is. It's a contract...a legally binding contract. Whenever a new contract is made, the old one is superceded. It's like a legal will (which is what testament means)...a new will supercedes the old one and the old one is no longer legally binding. God's hatred for sin never changes, but one can't say that God never changes His mind....look at Ninevah. God was determined to destroy Ninevah, but when Jonah finally went there and warned them to repent, they did..and God changed His mind about destroying the people of Ninevah. In the old testament, God required the death penalty by stoning for those taken in adultery. But in the NEW testament, Jesus said to the woman taken in the act of adultery, "Neither do I condemn thee...go and sin no more" I guess God can forgive anyone He wants to for anything He wants to.

In the world of business, if a contract between two parties isn't working to accomplish the desired end, the parties draw up a new contract. If one party decides to operate on the basis of the old contract or even try to incorporate the terms of the old contract into the new one, he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on, because the courts will not even recognize the old contract. The new one has made the old one invalid. Now that doesn't mean that there was nothing good in the old contract, but the new contract (or will, or "testament") supercedes the old one.

Comment

I agree with RogerW's response (although I have to look closer at the thoughts in his last paragraph). The context of the verses on the "Unforgivable Sin" fit the explanation that RogerW gave, as that is what most Biblical commentaries say.

It is a very sensitive subject. Some theologians say it is refusing to believe Jesus is the Son of God. Many theologians say that if one is concerned they have done it, then that means they haven't, as they would be so hardened in sin they wouldn't care. Many say it is a very rare sin. If one is shaken up, feeling like they have committed it, I don't feel we should ever reinforce their fear. Instead, I feel we should encourage them in the Lord, and let the Lord sort stuff like that out.

There are many forms of blasphemy, but only one type of unforgivable blasphemy. In a NT book, I read that two men were thrown out to be taught not to blaspheme.

Alethos: I respect the OT research you did, but how do you accomodate, in your current view, all the OT verses on Isreal's backslidings, their repentance, and the Lord's pardon and mercy on them? Furthermore, "rebellion" is really any period of habitual sin in a Christian's life. Does that mean that any Christian that has fallen into viewing pornography (for a season) is not forgiven? If you're married, what if your spouse fell into something like that? Are you going to give them the law, the ministry of condemnation, and tell them that it is too late for them? On the subject of rebellion, how do you account for the NT parable of the "prodigal son" or the "lost sheep?" What about the immoral man that was expelled, so that his flesh destroyed, and his spirit saved on the Day of the Lord? How was the Lord willing to forgive even Jezebel in Revelation chapter 2?

With love in my tone, I want to conclude: We have to balance all of Scripture, before coming to a final conclusion on the Lord's forgiveness. I feel a view like that is unbalanced, and can be dangerous. With that view, an imperfect sinner (like us all), could easily make another sinner feel hopeless and condemned, when all that sinner would have to do is ask the Lord to cleanse them from all unrighteousness, with a true sorry heart. That is how we sinners handle other sinners under a gracious and forgiving Lord. He is the One who gave His priceless and precious blood to atone for sin, and save sinners -- not us.
                          Vine & branches: John 15

Comment

Originally posted by alethos
                            1. Rebellion against Him
                            3. forsaking the Lord
                            If this were true, then NONE of us could ever be forgiven. I have been guilty of every single one of those except blaspheming the Holy Spirit, and yet God has forgiven me.

When I turned my back on God, I deliberately, knowing exactly what I was doing, rebelled against Him. My heart turned TOTALLY against the Lord and I was determined to hate Him as much as I had ever loved Him. I completely forsook Him and regularly committed deliberate acts of defiance against Him. I even spoke evil of God and Jesus, although I never spoke evil of the Holy Spirit, and when the demons I was deeply involved with tried to get me to curse the Holy Spirit, I refused. And they left me. That was the first time I realized that I could say "NO" to the enemy and there was NOTHING he could do about it. But here I am today, loving Jesus with all my heart, loving my Abba with all my heart, loving the Holy Spirit with all my heart, and I stand PROOF that God forgives those things you listed as being unforgiveable.

Hoot

Comment

If this were true, then NONE of us could ever be forgiven. I have been guilty of every single one of those except blaspheming the Holy Spirit, and yet God has forgiven me.

When I turned my back on God, I deliberately, knowing exactly what I was doing, rebelled against Him. My heart turned TOTALLY against the Lord and I was determined to hate Him as much as I had ever loved Him. I completely forsook Him and regularly committed deliberate acts of defiance against Him. I even spoke evil of God and Jesus, although I never spoke evil of the Holy Spirit, and when the demons I was deeply involved with tried to get me to curse the Holy Spirit, I refused. And they left me. That was the first time I realized that I could say "NO" to the enemy and there was NOTHING he could do about it. But here I am today, loving Jesus with all my heart, loving my Abba with all my heart, loving the Holy Spirit with all my heart, and I stand PROOF that God forgives those things you listed as being unforgiveable.

Hoot
                              Amen Hoot!
                              I strongly believe that God allows for us to experience His Truth, and then it is Truth that we know. It is not just some intellectual knowledge of Truth, but a knowing.

Comment

Working...
                              X