What was in the cup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was in the cup?

In the garden of Gethsemane Jesus prayed before He was taken captive, that led to His trial and crucifixion. What was in the cup that He prayed and asked twice to let this cup pass from Him.

Matthew 26:
    38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.

39 And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?

41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

The idea of this study is to consider what was in the cup. I'd like your comments on what you think it was. Understanding this can help us better understand all that He did for us.
    Hell....the nightmare you can't wake up from.

Sin is like electricity, it takes the path of least resistance. (the shortest path to ground).

Jesus said He is “The Way”, not “A” way. Jesus said He is “the Truth”, not “A” truth. Jesus said He is “The Life”, not “A” life. No man comes to the Father but by Me. Are we serving a man or are we serving God?

I always believed He was referencing the great suffering He would endure.
    Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by JerAyala View Post
      I always believed He was referencing the great suffering He would endure.
      Can you be a little more specific? (please understand I'm not baiting you on this for a debate, only to help in understanding).

Sin is like electricity, it takes the path of least resistance. (the shortest path to ground).

Jesus said He is “The Way”, not “A” way. Jesus said He is “the Truth”, not “A” truth. Jesus said He is “The Life”, not “A” life. No man comes to the Father but by Me. Are we serving a man or are we serving God?

Comment

Errr...Being beaten, scourged, bled out, spiked to a cross, etc.

Comment

There was no literal "cup". He was asking God to not let what was about to happen to Him happen. But if it was God's will Jesus said He would endure it.
          In Him,
          Bob Allen

Comment

Originally posted by JerAyala View Post
            Errr...Being beaten, scourged, bled out, spiked to a cross, etc.
            Thanks Jeremy,

All of these things were horrific. I don't think any one of us can even come close to describing all that He went through physically in these events that took place. But there was more to it than just the physical temporal body. Look at what Jesus said in Matthew 10:26-31 more specifically:

Matthew 10:28
            And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

What are we warned about in Romans concerning sin?

Comment

Originally posted by revrobor View Post
              There was no literal "cup". He was asking God to not let what was about to happen to Him happen. But if it was God's will Jesus said He would endure it.
              I agree, I was using it in the terms Jesus was using it.

Comment

Jesus "drank" the cup of God's wrath upon sin. The cup we drink at the Lord's table represents His blood spilled for us, as Jesus' life was poured out as a drink offering for our atonement.
                Robin

Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
                And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
                Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
                Those who compromise with Christ’s enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

Jesus here is praying to be released from drinking a cup, this cup is the "cup of God's wrath" on sin:

Jeremiah 25:15 For thus saith the LORD God of Israel unto me; Take the wine cup of this fury at my hand, and cause all the nations, to whom I send thee, to drink it.

Isaiah 51:17 Awake, awake, stand up, O Jerusalem, which hast drunk at the hand of the LORD the cup of his fury; thou hast drunken the dregs of the cup of trembling, and wrung them out.

Psalms 75:8 For in the hand of the LORD there is a cup, and the wine is red; it is full of mixture; and he poureth out of the same: but the dregs thereof, all the wicked of the earth shall wring them out, and drink them.

The cup of God's wrath is to be poured out upon Him while He is being crucified, thus making Him to "be sin for us" (2 Cori 5:21).

I don't believe that Jesus was praying to be released from crucifixion or physical death, but to be released from drinking the cup of God's wrath, and the answer He was given was NO. Jesus drank it to the dregs!

John 18:11 Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?
                  - Matt -
                  Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing
                  of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

Comment

When Jesus was crucified and became a sacrifice for mankind, He paid the price that was the natural justice for our sin.....ie. total separation from God.
                    But Jesus had never ever been separated from His Father before....they had always been together in each other's presence. Imagine what the dread of having that relationship broken would feel like, if you had never experienced it.....and think of His cry on the cross: 'My Father, why have you forsaken me?'
                    That was the cup He referred to- He knew it was going to happen, and that was worse than all the pain He was going to experience physically. That was why, being in human form, He begged the Father to release Him from the necessity of it- but accepted that, if it was the only way, He would endure it, for our sake.
                    We serve an amazing God!
                    My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. (2 Co 12: 9)

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. (Jer 29: 11)

Comment

Indeed, a horrible burden to have the sins of the world cast on your shoulders and to have the almighty Father turn away from you on the account those immeasurable transgressions.

Comment

We just shared communion this Sunday. One of the elders prayed and said, "Father, thank You for Your Son Jesus Christ, who endured the cross as You emptied Your cup of wrath upon Him to the last drop until You were satisfied.

Isaiah 53:10-"Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, ..."
                        .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
                        .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

dljc, it has to do with Jewish custom....

When a man goes to ask for the hand of his bride (in marriage) there is a cup of wine served..... the brides father will set a "price" for the bride, and if the groom accepts to pay the price, by drinking of the cup, the bride is his.... if he'd let the cup pass him by, the price was too high and the groom could not pay it

And what Jesus is talking about here, is the price that was set for the bride... (us)... it meant that Christ had to lay down His life for her (us)

I hope you get what I am trying to say
                          The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                          God plants in our hearts
                          to remind us
                          there are better things ahead.
                          -Holley Gerth

Comment

When you look at the story of Abraham that sends his servant to get a bride for his son Isaac ................. and see the size of the 'gift' / price Abraham was prepared to pay Gen 24:10 And the servant took ten camels of the camels of his master, and departed; for all the goods of his master were in his hand: and he arose, and went to Mesopotamia, unto the city of Nahor.

The price for the bride in our case was/is salvation from sin, which could only be paid with the Blood of G_d... Jesus Christ

Jn 10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.
                            Jn 10:17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
                            The LORD is my Miracle

G_d was gracious He has shown favor

Hope is a seed
                            God plants in our hearts
                            to remind us
                            there are better things ahead.
                            -Holley Gerth

Comment

What a great thread. I love the responses here.

I also think of the scripture where Jesus asked "are you able to drink the cup that I drink from" and they responded yes. Jesus then said "You will drink from the same cup".

I think there are many answers that are thought provoking. I hope people keep posting because I am learning a lot here.
                              Matt 9:13
                              13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                              NASU

Comment

Working...
                              X