Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head Coverings?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Head Coverings?

    I'm just wondering how many of you practice head covering, and if so, why. I was recently exposed to it for the first time, and after reading the Bible, have determined that women should be covering heads, but since very few people do so, I wonder why.

    It has been explained to me that many believe it is an outdated practice, and this teaching was meant specifically for the Church at Corinth; however, women continued to cover heads for many years afterward.

    Any insight is appreciated.


    "3Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. 6If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. 7A man ought not to cover his head,[b] since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head." --1 Corinthians 11:3-10

  • #2
    Many churches don't allow women to pray and/or prophesy publicly in the services anyway, so there really isn't a need for head coverings. The head covering, when a woman prays or prophesies in the church, is a symbol of authority so that she can do so, before the angels.

    Among those who wear the head coverings as a matter of course are just keeping to a custom that women should always be covered even if they aren't acting in any kind of official capacity in the assembly of the believers.
    Love In Christ,
    Tanya






    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by melbel816 View Post
      It has been explained to me that many believe it is an outdated practice, and this teaching was meant specifically for the Church at Corinth; however, women continued to cover heads for many years afterward.

      Any insight is appreciated.


      "3Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. 6If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. 7A man ought not to cover his head,[b] since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head." --1 Corinthians 11:3-10
      You're smart. You don't have to be told that that was a sad excuse for ignoring the word of GOD, something people seem to love doing. My only insight is, find a church where the women do keep their head covered.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by melbel816 View Post
        I'm just wondering how many of you practice head covering, and if so, why. I was recently exposed to it for the first time, and after reading the Bible, have determined that women should be covering heads, but since very few people do so, I wonder why.

        It has been explained to me that many believe it is an outdated practice, and this teaching was meant specifically for the Church at Corinth; however, women continued to cover heads for many years afterward.

        Any insight is appreciated.


        "3Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. 6If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. 7A man ought not to cover his head,[b] since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10For this reason, and because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head." --1 Corinthians 11:3-10
        But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
        For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. (v.5&6)

        Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. (v 13-15)

        Paul's talking about long hair being a woman's covering... iow don't wear short hair cuz if you do it's like having a shaved head. Imo tho, I'm not so sure about the hair length thing being necessary cuz I can't find a Command about women and hair length in the Torah so it may be a Pharisical law that Paul was carrying with him.
        Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
        -Jeremiah 6:16

        Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

        Comment


        • #5
          You really think women were shaving their heads bald left and right??


          IF it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

          ...so, if he's basically saying a woman having her head shaven is the SAME THING as being uncovered, how is her hair the covering that he's talking about?

          Comment


          • #6
            I think it's interesting that this:

            And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head

            gets translated to this:

            And every woman who goes to a church service with her head uncovered dishonors her head


            Love In Christ,
            Tanya






            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Braves27 View Post
              You really think women were shaving their heads bald left and right??


              IF it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

              ...so, if he's basically saying a woman having her head shaven is the SAME THING as being uncovered, how is her hair the covering that he's talking about?
              Where did I say women were shaving their heads left and right? Verse 15 makes clear what Paul was saying...

              But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

              Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
              -Jeremiah 6:16

              Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

              Comment


              • #8
                I agree, if you do the one verse, you have to be faithful in doing them all....
                YET!!!!
                If the reason is not to be law abiding , and you want to cover your head in prayer, or use a prayer shawl... do so, it creates a tabernacle for the L_rd's presence with you.... be blessed if you decide to do so
                The LORD is my Miracle

                G_d was gracious He has shown favor


                Hope is a seed
                God plants in our hearts
                to remind us
                there are better things ahead.
                -Holley Gerth

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TanyaP View Post
                  I think it's interesting that this:

                  And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head

                  gets translated to this:

                  And every woman who goes to a church service with her head uncovered dishonors her head

                  When's the last time you went to church and didn't pray?




                  Diff, reread what I said, I already addressed that.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Braves27 View Post
                    Diff, reread what I said, I already addressed that.
                    Sorry, I'm not understanding what you're saying... could you explain a little better?

                    Thanx
                    Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
                    -Jeremiah 6:16

                    Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I agree with Tanya that the covering is about authority. Also, when we keep in mind that a woman's hair is her glory, it adds richness to the story of when the woman washed Jesus feet with her hair.
                      Matt 9:13
                      13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                      NASU

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by diffangle View Post
                        But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
                        For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. (v.5&6)

                        Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. (v 13-15)

                        Paul's talking about long hair being a woman's covering... iow don't wear short hair cuz if you do it's like having a shaved head. Imo tho, I'm not so sure about the hair length thing being necessary cuz I can't find a Command about women and hair length in the Torah so it may be a Pharisical law that Paul was carrying with him.
                        Aren't Paul's writings as inspired as the Torah?
                        Matt 9:13
                        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                        NASU

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Braves27 View Post
                          When's the last time you went to church and didn't pray?
                          I've never led prayer in church. I have listened in silence and agreed in prayer, and I have prayed silently, but IMO this isn't talking about that. It is talking about when women are speaking in the public assembly -- praying or prophesying.

                          I pray all the time, throughout the day. For me would be a hindrance to have to stop and get a scarf on my head before I could pray.
                          Love In Christ,
                          Tanya






                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by diffangle View Post
                            Sorry, I'm not understanding what you're saying... could you explain a little better?

                            Thanx
                            Of course.

                            In that line I repeated, there is a clear differentiation between hair and the covering. By saying IF, the two things (a woman being shaved, a woman being uncovered) are equated (comparatively), but made clearly to not be the same thing.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Braves27 View Post
                              Of course.

                              In that line I repeated, there is a clear differentiation between hair and the covering. By saying IF, the two things (a woman being shaved, a woman being uncovered) are equated (comparatively), but made clearly to not be the same thing.
                              How do you interpret verses 13-15?

                              Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering. (v 13-15)
                              Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
                              -Jeremiah 6:16

                              Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X