Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wolves in sheeps costumes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wolves in sheeps costumes

    This past Halloween a young boy came to my door trick or treating. He was wearing a Spiderman costume. I gave him a piece of candy, and before he turned around to walk away, he said, "you didn't recognize me did you?" Then he took his mask off, and I realized that it was 10 year old Brian who lived down the street from me. In the same way our Bible tells us that wolves will come in among us not sparing the flock. They will be wearing sheeps costumes which disguise the fact that under their costume they are actually wolves waiting to tear us to shreds. They are masters of disguise. They could be excellent charismatic speakers who get the attention of the simple minded who don't know the word of God well enough and these imposters deceive them.

    Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravening wolves.

    Acts 20:29 I know that after my departing grievous wolves shall enter in among you, not sparing the flock;
    Acts 20:30 and from among your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after them.

    2 Pet 2:1 But there arose false prophets also among the people, as among you also there shall be false teachers, who shall privily bring in destructive heresies, denying even the Master that bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction.

    False teaching runs rampant today from among those who claim to be friends of the Bible. If we want to make sure we will not be deceived and torn apart, then we need to know the word of God.
    If the Calvinistic Westminister Confession is true (that "God from all eternity did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass"), then God ordained my disbelief of Calvinism.

  • #2
    and AMEN

    Thats why there are so many denominations in the world today because people either

    A.) don't know their Bibles and are deceived.
    B.) They choose to go to a church that caters to their wants.

    Example of B.) Guy doesn't like his wife any more because she can't cook very well. Church he currently goes to says you can't divorce and remarry for any reason other than adultly. So he goes and finds a church that allows divorce and remarriage and attends there instead.

    2nd Tim 4:3,4 "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."

    Thats what happens a lot today you want to find a church that tells you its ok to do X then you can find a church that allows X, regardless of what the Bible says.

    Anyway great post.
    Isaiah 6:8 "Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" We should always be willing to do God's bidding, seek ye first the kingdom of God.

    I use Linux because I don't like Windows

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by uric3 View Post
      and AMEN

      Thats why there are so many denominations in the world today because people either

      A.) don't know their Bibles and are deceived.
      B.) They choose to go to a church that caters to their wants.

      Example of B.) Guy doesn't like his wife any more because she can't cook very well. Church he currently goes to says you can't divorce and remarry for any reason other than adultly. So he goes and finds a church that allows divorce and remarriage and attends there instead.

      2nd Tim 4:3,4 "For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."

      Thats what happens a lot today you want to find a church that tells you its ok to do X then you can find a church that allows X, regardless of what the Bible says.

      Anyway great post.
      I think there are more reasons than that, for why there are so many denominations...

      - Sometimes it's a preference concerning the style of singing.
      - Sometimes it's racial in background.

      In both of these cases, I know of churches with identical doctrine, but the various churches don't worship together. No antagonism or ill will, but they're simply operating seperately.


      On the other hand, you're extremely right, concerning our tendency to find a church we "like" or one that makes us "feel good"...

      Comment


      • #4
        Here's something to think about . . .

        Is it about knowing the bible or about knowing God?

        Some will immediately say if you know the bible you will know God. Not true. There is a reason that Paul says that knowledge will only puff up, and there is a reason why I know all sorts of folks who know a lot about the bible but do not display the fruit of the Spirit.

        I mean you hear this line constantly . . .

        Know the bible . . . know the bible . . . know the bible . . .

        I think it's the opposite. Know God the Father through His Son and THEN you will truly know the bible. There is a reason why the early church could know God and His will for their lives without even having a bible.

        I'm not trying to say that the bible isn't important. It is VERY important. I'm simply saying that there is a lot more to this thing that just "knowing the bible".
        "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

        -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
          Here's something to think about . . .

          Is it about knowing the bible or about knowing God?

          Some will immediately say if you know the bible you will know God. Not true. There is a reason that Paul says that knowledge will only puff up, and there is a reason why I know all sorts of folks who know a lot about the bible but do not display the fruit of the Spirit.

          I mean you hear this line constantly . . .

          Know the bible . . . know the bible . . . know the bible . . .

          I think it's the opposite. Know God the Father through His Son and THEN you will truly know the bible. There is a reason why the early church could know God and His will for their lives without even having a bible.

          I'm not trying to say that the bible isn't important. It is VERY important. I'm simply saying that there is a lot more to this thing that just "knowing the bible".
          Yup. Knowing Love. That's what it's all about. Hard thing is -- making sure we're walking in God's love or the worldly version of it. The hardest part about the Christian walk - is distinguishing who you're being lead by, the world or God. I constantly have to re-examine myself to make sure that I'm going about doing things for the right reasons - or specifically, to glorify God as opposed to myself. It's difficult, but in the end - I think God is well worth the wait.

          Stephen

          Comment


          • #6
            When i meet a humble christian who presents biblical understanding i don't mind being corrected. When i meet someone who says they are a christian and uses their 'worldly' knowledge - i wonder above 'wolves in sheeps clothing.' You can present the arguement YOU want to make and throw in a few bible verses, or present a biblical understanding and try to get it across in your own words. Good topic.
            1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

            Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

            KJV

            May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
              Here's something to think about . . .

              Is it about knowing the bible or about knowing God?

              Some will immediately say if you know the bible you will know God. Not true. There is a reason that Paul says that knowledge will only puff up, and there is a reason why I know all sorts of folks who know a lot about the bible but do not display the fruit of the Spirit.

              I mean you hear this line constantly . . .

              Know the bible . . . know the bible . . . know the bible . . .

              I think it's the opposite. Know God the Father through His Son and THEN you will truly know the bible. There is a reason why the early church could know God and His will for their lives without even having a bible.

              I'm not trying to say that the bible isn't important. It is VERY important. I'm simply saying that there is a lot more to this thing that just "knowing the bible".
              But God has left us His word. That word is contained in the Bible. We cannot know what God has to say to us if we don't open the pages of the Bible. Oh sure, we can just go to a Church and hear the word preached, but we need to compare what is being said from the pulpit by what is written in the word of God. The Berean's of Acts 17:11 searched the Scriptures daily to see whether what was being said was so. Being the spirtual beings we are should make us hungry to dig into the word of God. If we don't dig into the word daily and get our spiritual food, then we will starve ourselves spiritually, and we can't afford to to that. One of the evidences of knowing God and having a personal relationship with Him is our desire to feed upon His word. A person who lacks a desire to feed upon the word of God may give evidence of malnutrition spirituality.
              Most importantly we need His word in our heart so that we may not sin
              Ps 119:11 I have hidden Your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against You.
              His word guides us, and gives light to our path
              Psa 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, And light unto my path.
              If the Calvinistic Westminister Confession is true (that "God from all eternity did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass"), then God ordained my disbelief of Calvinism.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by alethos View Post
                But God has left us His word. That word is contained in the Bible. We cannot know what God has to say to us if we don't open the pages of the Bible. Oh sure, we can just go to a Church and hear the word preached, but we need to compare what is being said from the pulpit by what is written in the word of God. The Berean's of Acts 17:11 searched the Scriptures daily to see whether what was being said was so. Being the spirtual beings we are should make us hungry to dig into the word of God. If we don't dig into the word daily and get our spiritual food, then we will starve ourselves spiritually, and we can't afford to to that. One of the evidences of knowing God and having a personal relationship with Him is our desire to feed upon His word. A person who lacks a desire to feed upon the word of God may give evidence of malnutrition spirituality.
                Most importantly we need His word in our heart so that we may not sin
                Ps 119:11 I have hidden Your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against You.
                His word guides us, and gives light to our path
                Psa 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, And light unto my path.
                Oh, He's left us a whole lot more than just His word . . .

                John 14:15-18
                “If you love Me, keep My commandments. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
                Again, I'm not trying to discount the bible. I'm simply saying there is a lot more that He has provided for us than just that.

                What would you do, alethos, if you did not have a bible?
                "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

                -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                  Oh, He's left us a whole lot more than just His word . . .

                  Again, I'm not trying to discount the bible. I'm simply saying there is a lot more that He has provided for us than just that.

                  What would you do, alethos, if you did not have a bible?
                  May I answer that? -

                  (John 2:22 KJV) When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

                  (John 12:16 KJV) These things understood not his disciples at the first: but when Jesus was glorified, then remembered they that these things were written of him, and that they had done these things unto him.

                  (John 14:26 KJV) But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

                  I think we would be in an sea of ignorance without the scriptures.

                  (Isa 43:10-12 KJV) Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. {11} I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. {12} I have declared, and have saved, and I have showed, when there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God.

                  Have we witnessed the creation of the world, the miracles of the Exodus, or Jesus' resurrection from the dead? No, but we have the testimonies of those who did - faithful men of God who were moved to speak as the Spirit gave them utterance.

                  (1 John 5:9-12 KJV) If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. {10} He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. {11} And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. {12} He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

                  If the Spirit did not bear witness to this record which men have testified, what would He bear witness to?
                  Robin

                  Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
                  And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
                  Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
                  Those who compromise with Christís enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                    Here's something to think about . . .

                    Is it about knowing the bible or about knowing God?

                    Some will immediately say if you know the bible you will know God. Not true. There is a reason that Paul says that knowledge will only puff up, and there is a reason why I know all sorts of folks who know a lot about the bible but do not display the fruit of the Spirit.

                    I mean you hear this line constantly . . .

                    Know the bible . . . know the bible . . . know the bible . . .

                    I think it's the opposite. Know God the Father through His Son and THEN you will truly know the bible. There is a reason why the early church could know God and His will for their lives without even having a bible.

                    I'm not trying to say that the bible isn't important. It is VERY important. I'm simply saying that there is a lot more to this thing that just "knowing the bible".
                    Right now I feel like I know God a lot better than I know the bible, and it's clear to me that while this is a nice point to start from, it is, without the Book, of almost no use. Knowing God as I do I have said many things which I felt were true, which are pretty much unequivocally proven wrong in the Book. The two together are entirely essential, but I've got to say I'm of the opinion that while there's no lack of knowledge of the Book, there's a distinct distance from the Father himself in many Christians and many churches.
                    Call to Me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known. Jeremiah 33:3
                    You put the stars in the sky and you know them by name, You see the depths of my heart and You love me the same, You are amazing, God.
                    I do not 'hope' I am saved and I do not 'think' I am saved, I know it with an absolute conviction. I know that I am saved just as I know that I think and I know that I feel. I am purchased and sealed, His possession.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mograce2U View Post
                      May I answer that? -

                      (John 2:22 KJV) When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

                      (John 12:16 KJV) These things understood not his disciples at the first: but when Jesus was glorified, then remembered they that these things were written of him, and that they had done these things unto him.

                      (John 14:26 KJV) But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

                      I think we would be in an sea of ignorance without the scriptures.

                      (Isa 43:10-12 KJV) Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. {11} I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. {12} I have declared, and have saved, and I have showed, when there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, that I am God.

                      Have we witnessed the creation of the world, the miracles of the Exodus, or Jesus' resurrection from the dead? No, but we have the testimonies of those who did - faithful men of God who were moved to speak as the Spirit gave them utterance.

                      (1 John 5:9-12 KJV) If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son. {10} He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. {11} And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. {12} He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

                      If the Spirit did not bear witness to this record which men have testified, what would He bear witness to?
                      There are many Christians in this world who do not have a bible that are not "in a sea of ignorance". In fact, many who have actually been around them would argue they live a closer walk with the Lord than anyone else they've met. What would you say, Mograce, about the millions of Christians who never had their very own bible prior to the printing press? Again, many could argue they lived a much closer walk with the Lord than the millions of folks today who have about five bibles sitting in their own house.

                      But again, I'm not trying to discount the importance of the Word. However, if ones' relationship is hinged on Reading 101, I'd say it is extremely deprived.
                      "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

                      -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        One cannot know God without hearing His Word.
                        Once one knows the Word, one will know who is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

                        Shalom,
                        Tanja
                        Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
                        2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
                        If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
                        http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/



                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jesusinmyheart View Post
                          One cannot know God without hearing His Word.
                          Once one knows the Word, one will know who is a wolf in sheeps clothing.

                          Shalom,
                          Tanja
                          And many have heard the Word without a bible. How have millions of Christians throughout history who didn't have a bible of their own avoid false teachers and false prophets?

                          I find it disturbing that reading is as deep as it goes for some. That's a problem, IMO, and I think it demonstrates why there are 5,000 different denominations out there all saying they are the right one.
                          "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

                          -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I mean for crying out loud folks . . . what are you going to do if the United States is taken over by a communist or terrorist regime and all the nation's bibles are burned up? How did folks manage for thousands of years without a bible of their own?

                            It shouldn't have to be written on paper for you to know in your spirit not to do something. It should not have to be in black and white to know what God expects of His children. If you are led by love you are fulfilling everything anyway. The entire bible is summed up in one word . . . LOVE.
                            "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

                            -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              VR,
                              i think you're missing the point i was trying to make. I think too many figure the Holy Spirit replaces the Word. The Holy Spirit does not equal the Word and all His commands.
                              Let me try to clarify:

                              Just as a body functions poorly with little food or nutrition, so the Holy Spirit can only operate upon what you feed yourself spiritually.
                              The Word was given to the people in the wilderness, and they were fed Manna for a long time. This was healthy food. Why do you think God was miffed when they complained and wanted something else to eat ? They didn't want to hear the word anymore, they wanted more pleasant stuff. So God sent them their hearts desire and flooded them with quail til it came out their ears.

                              I think too many people figure once they heard a little bit of word, and then they have been saved then they have the Holy Spirit, and they no longer need anything. Food only nourishes the body for so long. The body can survive for a while, but not forever.

                              The same goes with Spiritual matters. Knowing the Word is knowing God, that doesn't just happen overnight. Have you ever met a person and talked to them for a few hours and been able to claim you knew them well ?

                              Then the body that is meant for a specific task has to be nourished and excersized properly to be able to be up for the task. If this is not done, then you will succumb before the day arrives.

                              I'm by no means condemning those that have heard very little of the word and acted upon their knowledge and understanding, but i would venture to say they were very limited in their scope of what they could accomplish for God.

                              As for the word being written.... Moses wrote it down, and receited it to the people after he had told them the previous day.... there's really a lot more to it IMO than meets the eye.

                              And what you mentioned here:
                              what are you going to do if the United States is taken over by a communist or terrorist regime and all the nation's bibles are burned up? How did folks manage for thousands of years without a bible of their own?
                              Funny you mentioned that, i think it will actually happen when the antichrist comes. He will not want people to know what the Torah says.
                              The point is, you are what you feed your mind, if you foolishly rely only on the Holy Spirit, when that time comes you will not be able to discern truth, because your scope of understanding and knowledge is limited. But regardless, God said he will shorten those days for the sake of the elect so that they cannot be polluted and deceived. He will take each elect home before that breaking point is reached.


                              And you know something? The religious Jews who study Torah may be better off than those that call themselves Christians but know very little about what God said and commanded.



                              Shalom,
                              Tanja
                              Jer 6:16 Thus says the Lord: Stand at the crossroads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way lies; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.
                              2Jn 1:9 Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.
                              If it's not done out of unselfish love, then it's hardly righteous.
                              http://disciple2yeshua.wordpress.com/



                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X