Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"23 Minutes in Hell" by Bill Wiese (and other thoughts) -- do YOU believe him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "23 Minutes in Hell" by Bill Wiese (and other thoughts) -- do YOU believe him?

My wife bought this book a while back, and I took it to work today. I was curious. I had obviously heard of the book, but I had never read it. I spent my whole lunch hour reading it.

I was floored at what I was reading.

I believe him. I have to trust that a man who has belonged to the Lord since 1970 is telling the truth, and what he says is true and he literally experienced hell -- and it is exactly as the Bible describes it. He uses Scripture throughout his book to back up his claims. My sister went and heard him speak and she said that he was a man who could not ignore the burden that was put upon his heart, and that he knew the Bible like the back of his hand, and backed up his experience with the Word of God.

There is so much 'new age' theology that wants us to kind of... Well, forget about hell. At least that has been what I have seen more often than I'd like to. It is not comfortable. It is not pleasant. But it is real, and it is where people will spend their eternal lives if they do not accept Jesus Christ.

I know that a lot of people probably don't believe Bill -- it is, by most standards, an unbelievable story. But, are we to put God in a box and think that He can't or won't do such things to wake up the world? I have read some stuff online about Bill, and there is a good handful of Christians that feel he is a kook. I find that sad, because it is judging him in a way that we are not called to do. We are to use discernment in such matters, but do we do that at the cost of judging another person so harshly that we call into question their relationship with God?

I felt deeply convicted as I read this book, and I felt deep terror. It made me think of people I love who have not accepted Christ and what awaits them after death. It made me worry for myself. I never felt the Spirit telling me that this man was making this up. What I did feel was fear, which is something that I have felt lately. I feel that I am a good husband, I have a decent job, I pay my bills and I don't break any laws. Yet, I know that I am a wretched sinner and without Christ I am nothing. I felt this fear because I know in my heart through the Holy Spirit that I have not given Christ anything.

Proverbs 1:7 says that, "Fear of the Lord is the beginning to wisdom."

I believe that. Before, I was trying to be a Christian on my own terms, using God like a vending machine. Now, I see that if I don't begin to live a life that is full of repentance and seeking Christ, I will be lost as well. My heart needs to be worked on, and I believe Christ has started that work in me.

I believe Bill Wiese's book is a tool that He is using. God knows the number of his children that have come to Him through this book and Bill's story. It is amazing and I commend him for sharing his experience, as horrific and dreadful that it may be. If only some of us could have the same boldness for Christ and not fear that we will be offending others. Mainly I say this from my own experience, but I see it in others as well.

My wife's aunt was killed by a drunk driver on December 22. At her funeral, our pastor gave the sermon. It had little to do with my wife's aunt, but it had everything to do with the Lord, as she would have wanted it that way. Before my pastor spoke, he said something very profound: The truth offends some people. I remember walking out of the service and hearing my mother-in-law say that she felt he took advantage of the situation. All our pastor did was speak of the love and the beautiful gift of salvation offered to us by God through Christ. I am sure many other people felt the same way.

The response of some people to this book is telling to me. 2,000 years ago, people did not want to believe Christ, either. Now, I am not equating Bill Wiese with Christ, so please don't get confused. What I am saying is that most people, even us Christians, want to put God in a box. Just as Jesus wasn't believed by the majority 2,000 years ago, many people are still refusing the miracles that God does today, and I find that sad.

I am sorry about my ramble... but it is just something that has been on my heart.

Do I believe him? Well I havn't read his story so I can't comment on his experience, but if I was in a room with him and he stood up and started talking about the reality of hell then he would have my full support. Why? Because I believe in it just as much as he does, but by FAITH!

We Christians have a faith which is based upon the written and living Word, and none of us have seen Jesus in the flesh, none of us have seen heaven or hell, and yet we all believe in them by faith. That's the way God has ordained it, and if God allowed someone to see any of these things and then remain to live on earth I would think it would be contradictory to the Bible. So in saying that, I suppose I don't believe Bill Wiese, but it sure sounds like God is using his book!

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Luke 16:27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
    - Matt -
    Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing
    of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

Comment

Originally posted by Soj View Post
      Do I believe him? Well I havn't read his story so I can't comment on his experience, but if I was in a room with him and he stood up and started talking about the reality of hell then he would have my full support. Why? Because I believe in it just as much as he does, but by FAITH!

We Christians have a faith which is based upon the written and living Word, and none of us have seen Jesus in the flesh, none of us have seen heaven or hell, and yet we all believe in them by faith. That's the way God has ordained it, and if God allowed someone to see any of these things and then remain to live on earth I would think it would be contradictory to the Bible. So in saying that, I suppose I don't believe Bill Wiese, but it sure sounds like God is using his book!

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Luke 16:27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
      I appreciate your post Soj, but what makes you not believe Wiese? The man has been a Christian for over 30 years. I am just trying to see what other members here think. Did this man, having proclaimed His faith in Christ, lie about experiencing hell because he wanted to sell a few books? The man is a successful realtor and I doubt he needs the money.

Have others experienced hell? Some people believe that Jonah did. In Jonah 2:2, Jonah says that, "I cried by reason of my affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice."

Who knows. Others have reported on their experiences in hell, and I have a hard time believing that they are all lying. Wiese even says on page 98 of his book that all people should view spiritual experiences in light of Scripture.

I think that the time is drawing near. Bill Wiese said he saw Christ and spoke with Him as he was being led out of hell, and Christ told him that the reason he experienced this was to tell people that hell is a very real place. Yes, you believe hell exists because that is what the Word tells you and you believe by faith. But there are Christians who think hell is nothing more than a metaphor or a symbol. It is sad but true. Then Wiese said that Christ told him, "Tell them I am coming very, very soon."

These things... They are hard to believe, but it seems to me that people are as hard to convince as they were in the time that Christ was preaching.

I choose to believe him because I trust that he loves the Lord and he would not dishonor Him by lying and making up false claims to push people to Christ in fear. I believe that God is completing a very real purpose in his life, and I just hope others open their hearts to listen and consider that God probably uses everything to get as many souls to come back to Him as He can.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirst View Post
        I appreciate your post Soj, but what makes you not believe Wiese?
        I explained why I don't believe him, because it is not of faith.

It's fantastic that he has been a Christian for over 30 years, but the guy is a stranger to me, I'm not saying he's lying, he may well have had a terrible experience/dream/vision which he equates to going to hell, but like I said I havn't read his book. No doubt it's had a huge impact on you bro.

Originally posted by Thirst View Post
        Have others experienced hell? Some people believe that Jonah did. In Jonah 2:2, Jonah says that, "I cried by reason of my affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice."
        I believe Jonah died in the whales belly and went to hell for 3 days and 3 nights, then was resurrected from the dead and spat out on to dry land...but Jonah's experience was unique and necessary to fulfill scripture (Luke 11:29).
        - Matt -

Comment

i tend to give these folks a lot of the benefit of the doubt. i've done a LOT of research into NDEs - Near Death Experiences. even though every experience is different, there's a lot of commonality.

one of the biggest cliches about people dying, even represented in cartoons, is the 'light at the end of the tunnel'. a lot of people scoff at that notion, but think back to your bibles. who do we say is the truth, the light, and the way? is it so hard to believe that Jesus would actually be waiting for us as we're dying? (and how many times have you heard the person they're with saying "stay AWAY from the light!"...isn't that sad?)

given what he did for us almost 2000 years ago, waiting/meeting someone seems a very small thing, doesn't it? whether it's to welcome someone or to judge them or to funnel the soul off to it's proper place til the actual day of judgement, why would it be so hard to believe that the one man on earth capable of bridging the gap for us between this earth and heaven would be sticking around a little bit to see us through that transition?

course, we'll never be able to prove any of this til we're gone and at that point it's moot, so it's really just food for thought. but, i would advice people keep a much more open mind about what is possible rather than what they believe is impossible....

Comment

The rich man asked Jesus to send him back from hell to warn his brothers, saying "surely they'll believe someone who rose from the dead." And Abraham said, no. They have the law and the prophets, if they don't believe them, they won't believe one who comes back from the dead.

Now we have the law, the prophets, and the New Testament, an account of our saviour returning from the dead. I'm not sure that anyone who doesn't believe these will be convinced, though one comes back from the dead to warn them, so I don't know why God would send this man back with his message.

This doesn't mean I think the man's lying. Maybe he did experience a hallucination that was very profoundly affective. I don't know. Or maybe he did see what he said he saw, and it was real. I struggle with this. My husband was technically dead and had a vision of heaven. I know he's there now, but I don't know for one hundred percent sure that his vision was true, though I'd like to believe it. But Scripture does say that someone wanted to come from hell to warn the living, and was denied it. I'm not sure why God would have changed the rules, when we have more than enough information now to preach the gospel.
            Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

I am actually in the middle of the book now. I am on the chapter "can good people go to hell?" So far I say this man is legit, and his story is amazing. I loved this part - Jesus told me "Tell them I am coming back very very soon."

Comment

Yes, I believe him. His encounter with the Lord after his hell experience was VERY similar to my encounter with Jesus. Including the part that he said the Lord told him to "tell them I am coming back, I am coming back SOON!"
                You can read about mine and compare here....
                http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=77958
                Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

Here's his video testimony...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RhfsxIS5fG8
                  Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
                  -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

What does the bible teach us about going to hell? Can a person escape from it? If he can go to hell and come back (I'm assuming this is what happened) then God did not make it permanent. If a human can escape hell, then it will in no way hold satan.
                    My body is a temple and my tattoos are the stained glass.

You can take away my worldly things, you can take away my life. There's one thing you can't touch.... MY FAITH IN GOD

www.eviltoddlers.com

..._______
                    ./|___..__|
                    |/__/|.|_/
                    ...the BIG
                    .....|.|_|
                    .....|/_/

Comment

Originally posted by diffangle View Post
                      Here's his video testimony...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RhfsxIS5fG8
                      OK I just watched that and there is extra-Biblical accounts in Bill's testimony of 13 foot reptilian, unsymetrical demons ripping his body apart and crushing his skull in a prison cell! It also interested me how he was consulting his notes alot....if it was me the memories of such an experience would be in the forefront of my mind and on the tip of my tongue, and I would express it with much more passion than he did...but that's him I suppose.
                      - Matt -

Comment

I don't know about that...I know that as time goes on there are details that I forget about my testimony. Writing it down is the only way I can look at it and say...oh and this happened too. There's a lot to remember...details that as small as they seem in every day life, are comfirming to the bible when testified.
                        And the man didn't necessarily die, God just gave him a vision, is the way I would interpret that. So could he escape hell when he isn't really there? What of the people who die and find themselves in hell and are revived? They come back to tell their story and become christians. Of course there are some whose testimonies are quite questionable...but that doesn't mean the others aren't true. Let's not forget that all things are possible with God.
                        The idea that no one who goes there escapes; is for those whose time it is to die and stay dead. NOt for those whose time it isn't, and God is just trying to wake them up before it's too late later in life. I don't think that comment is to be made with such a broad stroke, that no one who goes to hell escapes. Only those who are dead permanently does that apply to. We know that people die and are revived every day, and I am sure that MANY of those same people are unbelievers. Let's not forget that Jesus also said that it is not possible to pass from heaven to hell. Context. But people die and go to heaven and come back all the time, so why do we doubt when one comes back from death and says they were in hell?
                        Don't seek too much knowledge. You just may be putting more weight on your shoulders than you're able to bare. Let God be the one to decide how quickly you grow.

Comment

OK I just watched that and there is extra-Biblical accounts in Bill's testimony of 13 foot reptilian, unsymetrical demons ripping his body apart and crushing his skull in a prison cell! It also interested me how he was consulting his notes alot....if it was me the memories of such an experience would be in the forefront of my mind and on the tip of my tongue, and I would express it with much more passion than he did...but that's him I suppose.
                          There is nothing biblical about the demons torturing people. There is nothing to back that up. Also, there is nothing biblical about escaping from hell.
                          My body is a temple and my tattoos are the stained glass.

You can take away my worldly things, you can take away my life. There's one thing you can't touch.... MY FAITH IN GOD

www.eviltoddlers.com

..._______
                          ./|___..__|
                          |/__/|.|_/
                          ...the BIG
                          .....|.|_|
                          .....|/_/

Comment

He says that he is a shy person and is not a trained public speaker. I think I would stumble a little bit too, because I have trouble standing in front of a big group of people and speaking. I can relate with him. Just because he was looking at his notes means nothing, bro. He wants to get the story out exactly as it happened. I think you're being just a tad bit nitpicky... No offense meant at all.

It seems you're basically calling the man a liar... If I am wrong about that, then I apologize.

I still believe him. No way can someone just make this stuff up. He'd have to be an atheist to lie like this, which I would bet he's not.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                              There is nothing biblical about the demons torturing people. There is nothing to back that up. Also, there is nothing biblical about escaping from hell.
                              Matthew 8:28-32

"When he arrived at the other side in the region of the Gadarenes, two demon-possessed men coming from the tombs met him. They were so violent that no one could pass that way. "What do you want with us, Son of God?" they shouted. "Have you come here to torture us before the appointed time?"

Some distance from them a large herd of pigs was feeding. The demons begged Jesus, "If you drive us out, send us into the herd of pigs."
                              He said to them, "Go!" So they came out and went into the pigs, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the lake and died in the water."

Mark 9:17-18, 22

"Then one of the crowd answered and said, "Teacher, I brought You my son, who has a mute spirit. And wherever it seizes him, it throws him down; he foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth, and becomes rigid...And often he has thrown him into the fire and into the water to destroy him."

Luke 9:39-42

"a spirit seizes him...it convulses him...bruising him..." The demon threw him down and convulsed him.

Luke 22:31

"And the Lord said, 'Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat."

Acts 5:16

"...bringing sick people and those who were tormented by unclean spirits, and they were all healed."

There are others. Revelation 9:10, 2 Corinthians 12:7, Ephesians 6:16, Luke 11:26.

I would consider being possessed, being bruised and being thrown as being tormented.

As far as escaping hell... Who knows. Jonah could have.

Comment

Working...
                              X