Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Repentance Play a Part in Being Saved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Repentance Play a Part in Being Saved?

Part 2 from the “Does obedience save” thread…. BUT the big difference is from a human perspective -- in that does man respond with/in faith and repentance, or just with/in faith, or with no response required, just accept?
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Originally posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post

Part 2 from the “Does obedience save” thread…. BUT the big difference is from a human perspective -- in that does man respond with/in faith and repentance, or just with/in faith, or with no response required, just accept?
    I am not the expert on salvation and all I can tell you is what happened to me. God spoke to me and I accepted His grace. This happened on stage one night as I was entertaining. I walked out of the place without finishing the gig and did not get paid. The next day was Sunday, I went to church and the Holy Spirit led me into repentance from that point forward. I was a filthy mouthed drunken, doped up country singer and that's the condition I walked into the church in. God says come as you are and He does the scrubbing, that's my take on it.

Comment

Abosulately, yes! Repentance is required for salvation.

Baptists' wrong method of soul winning method - "Easy Believism".

Many Baptiat saying repentance is not necesscary for salvation, just only believe in Jesus then be saved, that's it.

Many people are not truly show their fruit, because they did not repent of their sins and life. They say in their old ways.

But, every Christians ought to stay walk in the light daily, do not turn away.

Ezekiel 18:20-28 mentioned on repentance. Verse 24 warns if a saved person turn away from righteous life, and return to sins, shall bring to death(spiritual).

Bible commands us that we all must repent of sins. It is require for salvation, because God is holy.

In Christ
      Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

Comment

In reference to "repent" by Christ, The Greek is in the IMPERATIVE, which means it is a command - not an invitation.
        "A text without context is a pretext."

Comment

When Christ beguns his ministry, He commanded them to repent, or perish. - Mark 1:15; Luke 13:5 Repentance is a command from Christ. So, therefore, repentance is require for salvation.

In Christ
          Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

Comment

Repentace for me came as the Holy Spirit convicted me of my sins. I changed my mind about those things and began to desire the things of God.

But, when I first ask Jesus to save me......I realized I was a sinner destined to burn in Hell. I didn't know of all my many individual sins...that was what God began to show me after salvation. I beleive that is part of sanctification.

Every day, the Holy Spirit shows me things in my life.....when I feel that conviction, I repent, knowing that thing is greiving God.

Hope that helps or makes sense.

Comment

Are we really goint o go through this again??

No, but faith without repentance is not real faith.

Chicken or the egg?

Or better yet, what is the difference between a broomstick?
              As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Comment

In my opinion, repentance is absolutely required (is part of) salvation. There are probably many levels to this, but I will only dwell on the simplest form of repentance.

Mark 1:14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,

15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Now, by changing from an unbeliever to a believer, one must repent of their wrong belief or unbelief. Said another way, one repents when their mind is changed regarding the Gospel and they believe. Therefore, if one was an unbeliever and becomes a believer, they have repented of their former belief or unbelief. Also, one who repents and believes the Gospel also has believed the neccessity of the Gospel and are convicted of their present condition (sin). This conviction of sin causes us to repent (or causes us to understand we are wrong and change our mind) and believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ. When we believe the Gospel, we turn toward God and place our faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour. Matthew 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

I personally don't understand the term "easy believism". It infers that proper belief is ... "hard believism"? Maybe "easy believism" is really more like "professionism" where belief doesn't seem required but rather a spoken prayer or profession of belief but without repentance (true belief). In these cases faith doesn't follow because one's heart and mind hasn't changed regarding the Gospel at some level.

God Bless!
                Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

If repentance is a 'work' then no it is not required to be saved, but if repentance is not a work and is incorporated into our faith and belief in the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ, then yes it is required.

Repentance is often defined as a literal turning away from something and toward another, which is a work, and in our case it would be away from sin towards righteousness...BUT, I believe that true repentance is a "change of mind" which, if true, is not a work and can be accepted as part of our salvation. So I say yes, repentance does play a part in our salvation and is a requirement.

I am an Independent *Baptist* btw!
                  - Matt -
                  Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing
                  of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

Comment

Should we define salvation first? Are you referring to the past, present, or future salvation?
                    Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Check out my new blog at pilgrimtozion.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrimtozion View Post
                      Should we define salvation first? Are you referring to the past, present, or future salvation?

Thought knowledge of what salvation is was a given....

Care to explain why you see it based on time?

Comment

Thought knowledge of what salvation is was a given....

Care to explain why you see it based on time?
                        Well the Bible refers to us having been saved, being saved, and that we will be saved. Since all three fall in the category described as 'salvation', I wonder which you are referring to in this discussion.
                        Who have I in heaven but You oh God? Besides You, I desire nothing here on earth. My heart and my flesh may fail me, but God will be the strength of my heart and my portion forever...as for me, the nearness of God is my good - Psalm 73:25-26, 28a

Comment

Originally posted by Pilgrimtozion View Post
                          Well the Bible refers to us having been saved, being saved, and that we will be saved. Since all three fall in the category described as 'salvation', I wonder which you are referring to in this discussion.

Thanks for the clarification.... to that end, I don't see that it makes any difference, do you?

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.... to that end, I don't see that it makes any difference, do you?
                            Well, in all three cases I would answer it with a solid 'yes', but another's perspective might not be the same. So I ask for clarification as to the intent of the original question, that is all.

Comment

Acts 17:29 "Being then the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man.
                              30 "Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all everywhere should repent,
                              31 because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead."

Acts 26:19 "Consequently, King Agrippa, I did not prove disobedient to the heavenly vision,
                              20 but kept declaring both to those of Damascus first, and also at Jerusalem and then throughout all the region of Judea, and even to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds appropriate to repentance.

Simple answer.... YES.

Visit our new website
                              ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

A.W. Tozer said,
                              "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

Comment

Working...
                              X