Question about something god said

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about something god said

In the bible somewere in the book of exodus god says no one can see my true face and live.Why would that be so?How would seeing god in his true form while still alive kill you?
    Last edited by Zorgblar; Jan 13th 2008, 02:48 AM.

Exodus 33:
    20And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
    21And the LORD said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
    22And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: 23And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

I think this is where you are talking about. I don't know why, just that is what He said.

Maybe He shines too bright from His face but that is pure speculation. Not to be taken as fact!

Comment

.. There are a couple of points here but first is your answer. God is Holy and He can have nothing in His presence that is unholy. For that reason you, I and any person would have to die if we saw Him. Unholiness cannot exist in the presence of the Holy God.
      .. Now, the other point. If you address me as bill I will be somewhat miffed because of the disrespect shown by not using the upper case on the first letter of my name. I just explained to you that god is the Holy God. He is not a trinket hanging from someones cheep silver bracelet. When you type the name of God and God is His name, you need to show respect and reverence. God is not pleased by slackness.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorgblar View Post
        In the bible somewere in the book of exodus gods says no one can see my true face and live.Why would that be so?How would seeing god in his true form while still alive kill you?
        Good question! What is meant here?

Exodus 33
        18 And [Moses] said, "Please, show me Your glory." 19 Then He said, "I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." 20 But He said, "You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live." 21 And the LORD said, "Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock. 22 So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. 23 Then I will take away My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen."

I do not believe that this is the pre-Incarnate Jesus (the picture given here is as if God is a giant!), but God the Father. However, God is spirit (John 4:24), and therefore without form. True, it is said of Him that He has arms, hands, a back, a face, and that He walks and even whistles, but what does this mean? How can one without form and who is present in many places at once have such human features? Jesus is God, and he who has seen Jesus has seen the Father (John 14:9). Also, perfection is not afraid of the imperfect. So what is meant here by "you cannot see My face" (especially so near to Ex. 33:11 - cp. also Num. 12:8), and, "no man shall see Me, and live", yet He shows Moses His back? We will all one day see God's face (Rev. 22:4), and yet not die, and this is during Christ's millennial reign, speaking specifically to the corruptible nations who need healing!

Several times in the NT it is said that "no man has seen the Father / God" (John 1:18; 6:46; 1 John 4:12), but this is not the same thing. What John means by this is that no one man has seen God, because He is seen only by His body of believers in community. So don't relate Ex. 33:20 to this. We're still left then with the question of what is meant here by "no man shall see Me, and live"...

I don't think that a sufficient answer has been given yet, however I don't think that I have one to give! We should all look at this again...

Once again, good question, Zorgblar! - Lk.11
        analyze. synthesize. repeat.

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Comment

Originally posted by Zorgblar View Post
          In the bible somewere in the book of exodus god says no one can see my true face and live.Why would that be so?How would seeing god in his true form while still alive kill you?
          His GLORY would blind you and consume you. The Bible says that in the last days His Glory will out shine not only the moon but the sun.
          Amazzin

Obedience to God is more than a soldier obeying his commander. It is our grateful response to the Lover of our souls.

CHURCH: Where worship is enjoyed, not endured - Grace is preached, not legalism - And Christ is exalted, not religion!

Comment

Such is the glory we wait eagerly to behold after this life passes...and I can't wait.
            Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

Comment

The reason is because His glory would consume us.

Comment

The main reason that prevents man (in the flesh) from looking upon God's face would appear to be our sin:

Isa 59:2 But your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear.

Isa 64:7 And there is no one who calls on Your name,
                Who stirs himself up to take hold of You;
                For You have hidden Your face from us,
                And have consumed us because of our iniquities

Ezek 39:23 The Gentiles shall know that the house of Israel went into captivity for their iniquity; because they were unfaithful to Me, therefore I hid My face from them. I gave them into the hand of their enemies, and they all fell by the sword.

The one exception may be Moses "whom the LORD knew face to face" (Deut 34:10) though the language here may simply be trying to convey the closeness of their relationship. There were others such as Ezekiel who saw a vision of God (Ezek 1) but this was in the spirit, not in the flesh.

We also need to keep in mind that this is anthropomorphic language (God describing Himself in human terms) since God is a Spirit and in that sense He has no face as we understand it. For humans though, our face is what defines us and makes us known to others so what makes God known is the fulness of His glory which includes His character and appearance (unapproachable light). This is why sinful man cannot look upon God in his human form because He would be consumed, not only by the outward glory of God but also by God's righteouness, holiness and judgment.

Cheers
                Leigh

Comment

Originally posted by th1bill View Post
                  .. There are a couple of points here but first is your answer. God is Holy and He can have nothing in His presence that is unholy. For that reason you, I and any person would have to die if we saw Him. Unholiness cannot exist in the presence of the Holy God.
                  .. Now, the other point. If you address me as bill I will be somewhat miffed because of the disrespect shown by not using the upper case on the first letter of my name. I just explained to you that god is the Holy God. He is not a trinket hanging from someones cheep silver bracelet. When you type the name of God and God is His name, you need to show respect and reverence. God is not pleased by slackness.
                  I think it's "G-d" if you're Jewish, and assume they do that out of reverence.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty View Post
                    I think it's "G-d" if you're Jewish, and assume they do that out of reverence.
                    .. You are of course correct and as Christians we do not usually adhear to that custom nor the belief that it sprang from but to get so lax as to fail to revere the name of God is an alarming tendency. God is our Father and if I disrespected my human father I got my rear end tore up. I'm not one to believe that my Heavenly Father deserves even less respect. He has been known to kill great numbers at once for such disrespect. Once He killed everyone in the world, save eight, for disrespect. I certainly do not wish to see our friend here in front of the Great White Throne at the Second Judgment.
                    .. I understand that I can be very unpopular with some folks but I do feel the need for reverence toward our LORD.

Comment

what's wrong with the way i spelled the word god?That's just my righting style.Is it because i didn't capitalize the g on the word god?If this is so was does that get you so worked up?

Comment

.. You are of course correct and as Christians we do not usually adhear to that custom nor the belief that it sprang from but to get so lax as to fail to revere the name of God is an alarming tendency. God is our Father and if I disrespected my human father I got my rear end tore up. I'm not one to believe that my Heavenly Father deserves even less respect. He has been known to kill great numbers at once for such disrespect. Once He killed everyone in the world, save eight, for disrespect. I certainly do not wish to see our friend here in front of the Great White Throne at the Second Judgment.
                        .. I understand that I can be very unpopular with some folks but I do feel the need for reverence toward our LORD.
                        I don't feel comfortable calling god father because i have never even called my human father but that name.So instead of calling him father i just call him dad and i call god god.

Comment

..Now, the other point. If you address me as bill I will be somewhat miffed because of the disrespect shown by not using the upper case on the first letter of my name. I just explained to you that god is the Holy God. He is not a trinket hanging from someones cheep silver bracelet. When you type the name of God and God is His name, you need to show respect and reverence. God is not pleased by slackness.
                          And the original Hebrew has no "uppercase" or "lowercase" letters, so were all of the Jews of the ancient days "slack" as well? This is a pointless thing to argue about.
                          To This Day

Comment

you would , if you saw Gods face, immediatley be convicted of your shortcomings,and
                            You wouldnt have a leg to stand on, and would die.
                            Jesus Christ allows you to look upon him and live, as you are born of the spirit if you do accept him as the image of God.
                            And those castles made of sand....fall into the sea......eventually

Comment

Working...
                            X