Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is resting in the Spirit biblical or not?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is resting in the Spirit biblical or not?

    This has probably been discussed over and over but I have been away from the board for a while. I was recently questioned about my belief that resting in the Spirit is not ok and is not biblical. It is a very calm state of being. There is no thoughts or worries crossing your mind. To me I wonder if it is not closely related to the way people feel when they have had a near death experience....meaning that you want to remain in this state or to re-enter it.
    I have rested in the Spirit several times and have never been slapped in the face, pushed down or kneed from behind. The people simply prayed over me while laying hands on me (usually for a healing of my back, leg, or asthmatic bronchitis). If we can pray for God to heal someone through us as we lay hands on them then why would it not be possible for us to receive the full experience of the Holy Spirit who indwells in our hearts...after all it is God who is doing the indwelling by way of the Holy Spirit and God can do anything. Are we putting God in a box to say that this is wrong or not biblical?
    Thanks for your input. Servantsheart
    "MAY THE GOD OF YOUR HOPE SO FILL YOU WITH ALL JOY AND PEACE IN BELIEVING THROUGH THE EXPIERENCE OF YOUR FAITH THAT BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT YOU MAY ABOUND AND BE OVER FLOWING (bulling over) WITH HOPE."
    ROMANS 15:13 Amplified Bible

  • #2
    My first husband died in 2000. His tombstone says "Resting In Jesus". Never heard of what you are talking about.

    Sherrie

    Galatians 2: 20
    I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

    Comment


    • #3
      Resting in the Spirit

      Originally posted by Sherrie View Post
      My first husband died in 2000. His tombstone says "Resting In Jesus". Never heard of what you are talking about.

      Sherrie
      Hi, I think some refer to it as being slain in the Spirit.
      "MAY THE GOD OF YOUR HOPE SO FILL YOU WITH ALL JOY AND PEACE IN BELIEVING THROUGH THE EXPIERENCE OF YOUR FAITH THAT BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT YOU MAY ABOUND AND BE OVER FLOWING (bulling over) WITH HOPE."
      ROMANS 15:13 Amplified Bible

      Comment


      • #4
        hmmmmm...then I was slain in the Spirit, when I first accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour. I did not need to be repeatedly slain in the Spirit, because He never left me. He lives in me, and I live in Him.

        Sherrie

        Galatians 2: 20
        I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

        Comment


        • #5
          I agree

          Originally posted by Sherrie View Post
          hmmmmm...then I was slain in the Spirit, when I first accepted Jesus Christ as my Saviour. I did not need to be repeatedly slain in the Spirit, because He never left me. He lives in me, and I live in Him.

          Sherrie
          I was 'slain' in the Spirit when I first came to Jesus. I feel like the other times is happened that I 'rested' in the Spirit were 'gifts' so to speak. They came at times of needed comfort, healing, etc.
          Servantsheart
          "MAY THE GOD OF YOUR HOPE SO FILL YOU WITH ALL JOY AND PEACE IN BELIEVING THROUGH THE EXPIERENCE OF YOUR FAITH THAT BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT YOU MAY ABOUND AND BE OVER FLOWING (bulling over) WITH HOPE."
          ROMANS 15:13 Amplified Bible

          Comment


          • #6
            If you're asking if it's okay to just chill out and turn your thoughts to God and such, that's perfectly fine.

            However, "slain in the Spirit" is not found in the Bible (unless you're thinking of those two people who were literally slain by the Spirit in, what was it, Acts?). The "practice" is not in the Bible, it is not mentioned in the epistles, there is nothing about it to be seen in Scripture.

            after all it is God who is doing the indwelling by way of the Holy Spirit and God can do anything
            Do you know this are you are assuming it?

            Of the cases I've heard of being "slain in the Spirit" a person almost always falls to the ground or something similar, often losing control of their body or becoming unconscious. In response to those cases I ask: why would God make you pass out and bruise your body on the floor? How could that possibly be productive to His kingdom to have His servants limp their way out of a church service? That sort of thing is strictly wrong because nothing beneficial comes of it. And of the few times people in the Bible are described as becoming "faint" in the presence of God, they aren't ever described as suddenly falling to the ground, they usually intentionally drop to their knees because they are just completely in awe and fear, not because they lost control of their bodies.

            On the other hand, you have not described that sort of thing. All you have described is being content while people pray over you, in which case, I wouldn't say that is wrong.
            To This Day

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by markedward View Post
              Of the cases I've heard of being "slain in the Spirit" a person almost always falls to the ground or something similar, often losing control of their body or becoming unconscious. In response to those cases I ask: why would God make you pass out and bruise your body on the floor? How could that possibly be productive to His kingdom to have His servants limp their way out of a church service?
              What happened to Saul in Acts? It says that he fell to the ground and then after that he was blind. If Jesus did that, couldn't the Spirit do the same thing to someone today?

              Comment


              • #8
                Later in the book of Acts (chapter 22), Paul describes the event to others, and he says how he "fell." He didn't fall down because he was "slain in the Spirit," he "fell" in the sense that he was overcome with awe and fear. It was a willful action, not an account of the loss of bodily function. He describes how others were with him and though they could see the vision, they could not understand what was going on. Similar instances can be seen throughout the Bible. In Daniel 8:15-17, Daniel sees Gabriel and falls down because of fear. Later in Daniel 10, Daniel describes how he and others were at the "great river" (Tigris), when he saw a vision of a man. He goes on to describe that only he saw the man, but everyone else that was with him were overcome with fear that they ran away. But Daniel himself was so terrified that he had no strength left, so that he dropped to the ground. He wasn't "slain in the Spirit," his body was weakened by fear. Immediately after this, Daniel says the man in his vision woke him up, helping him to sit on his knees. The man didn't want Daniel to lose bodily control, he wanted Daniel to have strength, completely the opposite of what it means to be "slain in the Spirit." At the very end of Ezekiel 1, Ezekiel falls down in reverance and fear of seeing God.

                All of these instances of "falling down" are not because the individuals couldn't control their bodies because the Spirit took them over, it was an intentional act of reverance and fear.

                As for Saul being blinded, it served two purposes; he couldn't continue his persecution against Christians while he was blind, and the very fact that he miraculously lost his sight upon seeing Christ's glory (again, see chapter 22) and that he regained his vision exactly as Christ told him he would was to serve as a sign to Saul that Christ was indeed who He and His disciples said He was.
                To This Day

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by specks View Post
                  What happened to Saul in Acts? It says that he fell to the ground and then after that he was blind. If Jesus did that, couldn't the Spirit do the same thing to someone today?
                  This was also a conversion experience for Saul(Paul). I've heard of this happening at a church not far from Charlotte and asked the folks there if it was a conversion experience that happened and they said 'No.'

                  I've always asked people for a scriptural basis for being slain in the spirit and every example brought forth was not indicative of what happens in the 'slaying' services they've attended.

                  Like the previous poster though, if you're simply talking about a calm feeling while you 'be still and know that God is God' then quite possibly we're discussing two different things.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks....

                    Thank you to everyone for your input on my question. I do understand that the actual wording of being 'slain in the Spirit" is not in Scripture.
                    I just know what happened to me. And if the Spirit can raise the dead why couldn't the experience be described in God's word (fallings, fainting, having visions) as being this very thing. I don't believe that everyone receives this becasue they don't see it as possibility. I believe that resting in the Spirit is something you have to desire just like desiring the gift of praying in tongue. I think you have to want to pray in tonuge in order for the Spirit to give it to you and bring it out in you. If you fight against it and insist it can't be then you grieve the Spirit by not accepting his gift.
                    I know a lot of this is NT and many don't believe anything that is being said in the NT as far as being totally Holy Spirit filled and speaking in tongue as your own prayer language. Please don't get me wrong..I don't believe in speaking in tongue in church or in public church gatherings. I think it is for your private use as a very, very direct communication with God.
                    God even says in the NT that he is beginning something new...
                    Thanks again for your input. Servantsheat
                    "MAY THE GOD OF YOUR HOPE SO FILL YOU WITH ALL JOY AND PEACE IN BELIEVING THROUGH THE EXPIERENCE OF YOUR FAITH THAT BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT YOU MAY ABOUND AND BE OVER FLOWING (bulling over) WITH HOPE."
                    ROMANS 15:13 Amplified Bible

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by servantsheart View Post
                      Thank you to everyone for your input on my question. I do understand that the actual wording of being 'slain in the Spirit" is not in Scripture.
                      I just know what happened to me. And if the Spirit can raise the dead why couldn't the experience be described in God's word (fallings, fainting, having visions) as being this very thing. I don't believe that everyone receives this becasue they don't see it as possibility. I believe that resting in the Spirit is something you have to desire just like desiring the gift of praying in tongue. I think you have to want to pray in tonuge in order for the Spirit to give it to you and bring it out in you. If you fight against it and insist it can't be then you grieve the Spirit by not accepting his gift.
                      I know a lot of this is NT and many don't believe anything that is being said in the NT as far as being totally Holy Spirit filled and speaking in tongue as your own prayer language. Please don't get me wrong..I don't believe in speaking in tongue in church or in public church gatherings. I think it is for your private use as a very, very direct communication with God.
                      God even says in the NT that he is beginning something new...
                      Thanks again for your input. Servantsheat
                      Are you are saying that people who don't believe being 'slain in the spirit' or 'slain by the Spirit', is because they do not believe what is in the NT. If so then would you please show us were it is scriptural.
                      I certainly don't find anywhere that says, people get slain in the spirit, or by the Spirit to be healed or delivered from something.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by servantsheart View Post
                        Thank you to everyone for your input on my question. I do understand that the actual wording of being 'slain in the Spirit" is not in Scripture.
                        Neither is "trinity," but the concept of the trinity can be supported by Scripture.

                        I just know what happened to me. And if the Spirit can raise the dead why couldn't the experience be described in God's word (fallings, fainting, having visions) as being this very thing.
                        Because, again, the instances of people "falling" was an intentional action of them essentially bowing down in reverance and fear. The instances of people "fainting" was their bodies becoming weak with fear, in which case they were always told to stand up and have strength, not to lay on the ground and be unable to move.

                        I don't believe that everyone receives this becasue they don't see it as possibility. I believe that resting in the Spirit is something you have to desire just like desiring the gift of praying in tongue. I think you have to want to pray in tonuge in order for the Spirit to give it to you and bring it out in you. If you fight against it and insist it can't be then you grieve the Spirit by not accepting his gift.
                        For one, the epistles explain that not all gifts are for everyone. Just because a person can't speak in tongues doesn't mean they reject the idea of being able to, it could simply mean that they weren't chosen to receive that gift. Second, the "gifts of the Spirit" are described in Scripture, and there is Scripture to support them. One of these gifts was "having visions" yes, but that is not equivalent to dropping to the floor involuntarily or something similar. As stated before, when people "fell" it was either an intentional action or involuntary on the account of weakness and terror, not because they were filled by the Holy Spirit (you described your experience as being calming and peaceful, entirely the opposite of what we see happening to the example we see in Scripture).

                        I know a lot of this is NT and many don't believe anything that is being said in the NT as far as being totally Holy Spirit filled and speaking in tongue as your own prayer language.
                        Then those people are, in a word, fools for denying the power of the Holy Spirit and the Truth of the words of God's messengers. But, again, we do not see anything about being "slain in the Spirit" (in any sort of description) in the New Testament.

                        Please don't get me wrong..I don't believe in speaking in tongue in church or in public church gatherings. I think it is for your private use as a very, very direct communication with God.
                        Then wouldn't you be one of the people who doesn't believe what is said in the NT? There are both of these kinds of "speaking in tongues" seen in Scripture, both the "private use" and the "public use" kinds. In fact, the very first example we see in the New Testament of "speaking in tongues" was the public gathering kind (the one that you say you don't believe in), in Acts 2.
                        Last edited by markedward; Jan 16th 2008, 04:03 PM. Reason: Meh
                        To This Day

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by servantsheart View Post
                          This has probably been discussed over and over but I have been away from the board for a while. I was recently questioned about my belief that resting in the Spirit is not ok and is not biblical. It is a very calm state of being. There is no thoughts or worries crossing your mind. To me I wonder if it is not closely related to the way people feel when they have had a near death experience....meaning that you want to remain in this state or to re-enter it.
                          I have rested in the Spirit several times and have never been slapped in the face, pushed down or kneed from behind. The people simply prayed over me while laying hands on me (usually for a healing of my back, leg, or asthmatic bronchitis). If we can pray for God to heal someone through us as we lay hands on them then why would it not be possible for us to receive the full experience of the Holy Spirit who indwells in our hearts...after all it is God who is doing the indwelling by way of the Holy Spirit and God can do anything. Are we putting God in a box to say that this is wrong or not biblical?
                          Thanks for your input. Servantsheart
                          I've experienced a "resting" in the Spirit, and it had nothing to do with being at church or having hands laid on me. I had been in a very intense time of prayer and worship here alone at home, and I reached a point where I felt at perfect peace and rest while still awake. I can't explain it, and I wouldn't classify it as "slain", but I won't accept that it was evil or wrong. I needed a supernatural rest at that moment in my life, and I think that the Lord provided it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by stillforgiven View Post
                            I've experienced a "resting" in the Spirit, and it had nothing to do with being at church or having hands laid on me. I had been in a very intense time of prayer and worship here alone at home, and I reached a point where I felt at perfect peace and rest while still awake. I can't explain it, and I wouldn't classify it as "slain", but I won't accept that it was evil or wrong. I needed a supernatural rest at that moment in my life, and I think that the Lord provided it.
                            I'm glad you cleared that up.

                            I think it's pretty obvious that what you experienced is not what is commonly thought of being slain in the spirit.

                            I think most of are talking about a phenomena that occurs (apparently at the whim of the leader) where folks are touched and then they fall.

                            Two different things. Yours sounds very personal. We serve a personal God. I myself have experienced something similar during a quiet time or personal worship time.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by stillforgiven View Post
                              I've experienced a "resting" in the Spirit, and it had nothing to do with being at church or having hands laid on me. I had been in a very intense time of prayer and worship here alone at home, and I reached a point where I felt at perfect peace and rest while still awake. I can't explain it, and I wouldn't classify it as "slain", but I won't accept that it was evil or wrong. I needed a supernatural rest at that moment in my life, and I think that the Lord provided it.
                              Yes, that sort of experience I don't see anything wrong with. Finding rest in God is a good thing (after all, Jesus is our sabbath, essentially).

                              But I think the overall tone of the thread over to the traditional "thud" experience (i.e., "slain in the Spirit," where the Spirit "comes over" you and you lose bodily control and simply drop to the floor... or wherever you may be when it happens).
                              To This Day

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X