Study on book of Jude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study on book of Jude

Anyone mind if we begin a study on the book of Jude?

It's a relatively short book, just before Revelations.

CL
    Last edited by Christian_lady; Jan 20th 2008, 01:02 AM.
    Matthew 27:55
    And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him.

I love Jude...I would be all for a study

Comment

Originally posted by Christian_lady View Post
      Anyone might if we begin a study on the book of Jude?

It's a relatively short book, just before Revelations.

CL
      It's a short book, but there's a lot in it! I'm interested in participating.
      Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
      23 Guard your heart above all else,
      for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

Ok then...

Ok then I guess we start just the three of us.

This post hasn't been shifted around so I guess that means it's ok to do a Bible Study on this forum.

I can begin the discussion. I would ask that we do not write our personal opinions since they can be misleading, or that we clearly state an opinion is an opinion before we write it.

What I have discovered about the book itself (so far) is that it is written by Jesus' half brother Jude. He calls himself the brother of James (Jesus' other half brother) but makes no reference to being related to Jesus. I found this interesting, perhaps it indicates that spiritual relationships are sometimes more important than relationships based on blood.

Re-reading the book, it seems there is a focus on the false teachings in some Churches. It seems these teachers are totally perverted.

Verse 4: For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

It seems these teachers do not consider Jesus as God and they are run by their raw emotions.

Verse 10: But these people blaspheme all that they do not understand, and they are destroyed by all that they, like unreasoning animals, understand instinctively.

I guess it is the reminder that all our actions, speech and thoughts should be here to glorify His name, not our own, and that we are not to be governed by our emotions but rather following God's will which is expressed through the Holy Spirit and the Bible itself.

CL
        And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him.

Comment

CL, I have church tonight, so it will be tomorrow before I can jump in. I'll see you then...
          Blessings,

Road Warrior

Comment

CL, I don't understand your reference to "emotions"? I can see belief, understanding and maybe knowledge or wisdom, but not emotion...?

Comment

Hey! I previously wrote that emotions are not what should be governing us, rather our will to glorify His name.

Comment

I understand and read that , I just don't see where either verse you posted make any reference to emotions being the cause for their actions....

Comment

Jude chapter 1 1-8

Jude.1

[1] Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:
                  [2] Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.
                  [3] Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.
                  [4] For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jude expresses what we all should do...earnestly contend for the faith. When we hear doctrines that are not written in the Word of God, we should contend for the truth.

The original gospel was deleived to the apostles, but as the church began to grow, false teachings and doctrines began to creep in.

These false teachings were from Satan himself. When Satan realized the Church was forming...his next move was to subvert the Word and prevent men from knowing the truth. So, his masquerading angels began to spread lies and deciet...the church would eventually splinter and divide from this.

Notice the false teachers were ordained to do what they were doing. They turned the grace of God into...the you can do anyting you want teaching and still be saved.

Jude is saying grace is not a license to Sin. Paul also teaches this concept. Those of us who are born again and indwelt with the Holy Spirit are convicted of our sins and as we matue in Christ our desire to sin is diminshed. Also, by doing this they were actually denying Jesus.

WOW! So, if we change the gopsel and add and subtract from the Word or give people the license to sin with out repentance...we are denying the Lord.

[5] I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not.

Moses led the children of Isreal out of Egypt, but not all of them were saved from the wrath of God......even though they followed Moses out, they sinned and worshipped other Gods and there for died. Why did they die?......they didn't trust and beleive God enough to follow Him...even when it looks hopeless. They got scared and worshipped idols.

[6] And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

The fallen angels who rebelled will stand before the Lord on judgment day, when they will be cast into the lake of fire...where all the unsaved will be.

[7] Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

How scarry for this nation. The judgement of God will be against all those who forsake His Word. Yet, "chruches and denominations' today are ordaining openly gay clergy and teaching beleivers they can continue in the abominable lifestyles, with out facing the wrath of God.

[8] Likewise also these filthy dreamers defile the flesh, despise dominion, and speak evil of dignities.

These sinners do not follow the Lord..hense despise His authority and Word....they change His Word to allow them to sin.

This was all happening at the time of the apostles...even 1 John speaks of false teachers and does Paul.

Satan knew what to do...and he still is doing it today.

Let us not be ignorant of his devises, but, ask wisdom from the Lord in descerning false doctrine from Truth.

Look foward to your thoughts,

God Bless,
                  Alaina

Comment

God bless you Alaina. That was a wonderful thing that you wrote.

Verse 10 describes how some people of this Church are led by their animal instinct, or 'raw emotions' - i.e. if it feels good, do it.

That is what Jude is writing against, he argues that Jesus is the way.

Comment

Originally posted by AlainaJ View Post
                      Jude.1

[1] WOW! So, if we change the gopsel and add and subtract from the Word or give people the license to sin with out repentance...we are denying the Lord.[/COLOR]

[/SIZE]
                      Yes, there is NO GREY AREA!! The truth is the truth and ANY variation of it, as slight as it may be, is false. And all things false are seperate from God.

Good stuff.

BTW John Macarthur wrote a book called 'The Truth War' that really digs into this epistle. I highly recommend.
                      As thy days, so shall thy strength be - Deuteronomy 33:25

Comment

Originally posted by AlainaJ View Post

Let us not be ignorant of his devises, but, ask wisdom from the Lord in descerning false doctrine from Truth.

[/SIZE]
                        Psalm 3:21-22

Preserve sound judgement and discernment,
                        do not let them out of your sight;
                        they will be life for you,
                        an ornament to grace your neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulah Papyrus View Post
                          And all things false are seperate from God.
                          Oops, I stand corrected... for neither death, nor life nor angels, nmor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor heith nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to seperate us from the love of God, which is in Jesus Christ our Lord.

...my bad, but still...

Comment

Originally posted by Christian_lady View Post
                            ...What I have discovered about the book itself (so far) is that it is written by Jesus' half brother Jude. He calls himself the brother of James (Jesus' other half brother) but makes no reference to being related to Jesus. I found this interesting, perhaps it indicates that spiritual relationships are sometimes more important than relationships based on blood.
                            Hi CL,

I'm back.

Recently I did a Kay Arthur book study, "Lord Teach Me to Study the Bible in 28 Days" in which Jude is included.

One of the first things brought to our attention is to notice who the writer is - Jude. Interestingly, Jude states his credentials and his purpose for writing, then no longer talks of himself.

There are two scriptures which give us the clue that this is the brother of Jesus - Matthew 13:55 and Mark 6:3. They are equivalent.

Mk 6:3 Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us?" So they were offended at Him. NKJV
                            This scripture is a good one, as we may sometimes get asked why we think Jesus had brothers and sisters. As you noted Jude does not claim Jesus as his brother, but he calls himself the servant of Jesus. I also think (as you imply) that our relationship with Jesus as Lord and Savior is more important than our relationships with our blood-born brothers and sisters.

Thanks for starting this thread!
                            Blessings,

Road Warrior

Comment

Hey this is cool, we are getting the ball rolling.

I just came back from a day of Church hopping so I am a bit wiped but hopefully Jude will give me a second wind.

I find the 'false teachers' the most facinating (not sure why).

<verses 8-9>
                              In the very same way, these dreamers pollute their own bodies, reject authority and slander celestial beings.
                              But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!"

Here Jude calls the teachers "dreamers" which might be linked to their raw emotional way of living...they might be living in a dream world where they are only living to satisfy their raw needs and desires. Also the word "dream" might indicate they are far from the truth (i.e. Jesus Christ).

These teachers also "pollute" their own bodies. This is very relevant to our society today. It seems our society preaches that no one has the right to tell other people their way of living is not 'ok' (i.e. to have pre-marital sex, to be homosexual, to have children out of wedlock, etc.) It might be my imagination but it seems that we live in a society that if the person is above 18, he/she has the right to act any way they wish as long as they are 'happy'.

Next they reject authority which must be the only authority we are to submit wholeheartedly to - Jesus Christ.

Continuing, these teachers slander celestial beings which might indicate they bad-talk God, Jesus, the prophets, angels and the word. Jude brings a scene of the angel Michael who had self-control. When we was battling Satan, Michael spoke with scripture and said the Lord will rebuke him.

I suppose this was used as a contrast to these teachers who seemed to say whatever was on their mind with no thought of consequences. Even when Michael was confronted by Satan he refused to give in to anger or slander but challenged him with words of the Lord (which is what Jesus also did in the wilderness).

Speaking personally, this is a nice lesson for myself if and when I am challenged by Satan. I will choose to challenge him with verses from the Bible.

CL :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X