Shopping on Sunday's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping on Sunday's

How do you guys and gals feel about this? I never gave it much thought, but my wife told me that she strongly dislikes shopping on Sunday, because it is "making other people work." I can see where she is coming from, but I was curious to see what others thought.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Thirst View Post
    How do you guys and gals feel about this? I never gave it much thought, but my wife told me that she strongly dislikes shopping on Sunday, because it is "making other people work." I can see where she is coming from, but I was curious to see what others thought.

Thanks!
    Those people around here, who work on Sundays, get to have other days off. I prefer to shop during the week when there are fewer people in the stores. Does she also object to shopping on Saturday, which is the Sabbath as set aside for the Jews in the OT? or only on Sunday, which is the Lord's Day and has been observed by Christians for a very long time now? How about Friday, which the Muslims hold as holy?

I say, if she doesn't want to shop on Sunday, let her shop (or shop with her) on a different day. But it won't change the fact that those people will still have to work, because most of the working world does their shopping on Saturday and Sunday, out of necessity and convenience.
    Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
    23 Guard your heart above all else,
    for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

I don't like it. It takes away from family time. Maybe if we closed the malls we'd have more people in church. We as a society lived for a very long time without stores being open on Sundays. If we needed to have something, we made sure we had it ahead of time, and if we forget, oh well. Life didn't collapse around us cause we forgot to pick up a gallon of milk, or the newest electronic device.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyndie View Post
        I don't like it. It takes away from family time. Maybe if we closed the malls we'd have more people in church. We as a society lived for a very long time without stores being open on Sundays. If we needed to have something, we made sure we had it ahead of time, and if we forget, oh well. Life didn't collapse around us cause we forgot to pick up a gallon of milk, or the newest electronic device.
        Interesting perspective. Shopping with my daughter can be really great family time. Or maybe that is one-on-one time ... especially if I'm buying something for her, and then we go for a cuppa and sit and chat...

I doubt that unbelievers would go to church just because we close the malls. Then we should also not have football games (which seems to keep Christians at home instead of church), and ban fishing on Sunday, and close the parks, and the zoos, and ....

I lived in that time when everything was closed on Sunday. Believe me it did not make us go to church (that depended on whether mom and dad were fighting that morning) nor did it keep us from sinning. With nothing better to do, two young girls could go for a walk and get picked up on the road by strangers ... Children could get into all kind of mischief because they were bored ..

Having said all that! I like setting aside the day for my own reasons. I like having a day of quiet and rest, of not having to go anywhere, of focusing on church, church friends, Bible study, family time, prayer time. I like having the meals planned ahead of time, the clothes for church ready beforehand, and everybody in a good mood, because Mama is in a good mood!

I don't think we can impose our Christian ways on society, and "Christianize" them. But we can live by our own convictions and the world outside will see something different about us.
        Blessings,

Road Warrior

Comment

You know..I've thought a lot about this one. Because my father in law makes a big deal about him refusing to work on Sundays but expects my mother-in-law to fix him a big Sunday lunch after church with all the work that entails!!!

He has recently refused to go out to eat on Sundays because it makes other people work, but realistically, if he even has on his household lights and uses his landline or cell phone-somebody has to be at work to keep those services up and running.

I don't know exactly where I stand on this issue. God is clear that we are to rest on the Sabbath and I do believe that he feels we should not take advantage of the services of those that do work...but which Sabbath? Saturday or Sunday? And do I turn off electricity and phone to my homeon that day? This would include using the internet.

Umm...I just don't feel like avoiding shopping will take care of the entire issue; it is a lot bigger than that and I struggle with what I should be doing about it also.

Comment

I believe in keeping Sunday special - so I never shop then; and only ever buy petrol if I am making a journey and the tankful I bought on Saturday is all used up.

Discussing this some time ago with friends, one said they'd only shop on Sunday if unexpected guests turned up - if they were my guests they'd have to go without what is not in the house.

However (Saved) I very happily cook for guests on Sundays - it's all part of making Sunday a special day to Glorify the Lord.

Comment

I never shop on Sundays, although I have stopped on the way home from church to pick up some milk on occasion.

Jeanne
              Refrain your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears, for your work shall be rewarded declares the Lord, and they (your children) will come back from the land of the enemy. Jeremiah 31:16-17
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sometimes God lets you hit rock bottom so that you can discover He is the rock at the bottom

All the forces of darkness cannot stop what God has ordained. Isaiah 14:27

Comment

You know... when we were first stationed in Germany I couldn't comprehend how stores weren't opne on Sunday. After lving in fact paced 24/7 America it was a tremendous shock. During the 7 years we lived there I came to really appreciate the German mindset on store operating hours. Almost everything was closed on Sunday's and on Saturday's most stuff was closed by 6:00pm.

Sunday's were such a big deal with them that it was illegal (at least in our area) to wash your car, mow your grass, fix you car, etc on Sunday's. It caused a noise distrubance and Sunday's were set apart for rest, relaxation, and/or church and worship.

Once I got use to the way they operated... I really enjoyed it!

Where we are stationed now- they stores are closed on Mondays and I always need to restock for school lunches so I almost always make a quick stop on Sunday's. However... all of the workers at the commissary (our food store) are Muslim- they don't observe Sunday as the Lord's day.
                May you feel His arms around you and know that His
                hands are there helping you turn your feeble attempts into true masterpieces.
                Pray for Mieke!

Comment

I know it is probably wrong, but I like being able to go to Target at 8 pm on a Sunday if I feel like it. I was just whining a few weeks ago that I thought it was silly that stores close at 6 pm on Sunday. If they were closed in the morning and then opened in the afternoon I would be cool with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                    I believe in keeping Sunday special - so I never shop then; and only ever buy petrol if I am making a journey and the tankful I bought on Saturday is all used up.

Discussing this some time ago with friends, one said they'd only shop on Sunday if unexpected guests turned up - if they were my guests they'd have to go without what is not in the house.

However (Saved) I very happily cook for guests on Sundays - it's all part of making Sunday a special day to Glorify the Lord.
                    It is very interesting how we all see (or practice) these things differently. Several years ago in Utah, I learned that Mormons don't cook on Sunday. Everything has to be made ahead and eaten cold on that day, in keeping with the commandment not to kindle a fire on the Sabbath. They have lots of jello recipes!
                    Blessings,

Road Warrior

Comment

I used to work on Sunday's. To me, I can worship God anytime time and everywhere. However, I would usually work after chruch time.

You can attend chruch service, bible studies prayer meetings almost any day of the week.

Going to chruch on Sunday or shopping or working, doesn't make one a Christian.

Comment

Growing up we had the Blue laws.. I think that's what they were called, when everything "had" to be closed on Sundays. I liked it because it made the day seem special.

Jeanne
                        Refrain your voice from weeping, and your eyes from tears, for your work shall be rewarded declares the Lord, and they (your children) will come back from the land of the enemy. Jeremiah 31:16-17
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sometimes God lets you hit rock bottom so that you can discover He is the rock at the bottom

All the forces of darkness cannot stop what God has ordained. Isaiah 14:27

Comment

'everything is permissable, but not everything is beneficial.'

i think that's in james. loosely applies here, i guess. interesting issue, though. i definitely go to the store, etc if i need to on sundays...before and/or after church. my family isn't together much during the week because of my wife and my schedules, so we try to make sure saturdays and sundays are relaxed and 'together'. other than that, whatever we need to do, we do and we don't worry about it cause we've got a hellacious schedule during the week and don't need the extra stress of trying to reschedule and/or schedule ahead of time what we're going to eat and make sure we've got everything set before the weekend...just ain't relistic for us....

Comment

Forget shopping, how many of you go out to breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner on Sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by Thirst View Post
                              I strongly dislike shopping on Sundays, too. And on Saturdays, and Mondays and Tuesdays and Wednesdays and...
                              Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

Comment

Working...
                              X