Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catholics and Protestants

I have a serious question.

Most all of my Catholic friends do not view Protestants in a bad light. In fact for most Catholics, Protestantism is completely off their radar except for the acknowledgement that they are our "cousins" in the Body of Christ.

Very few choose to debate the differences we have and tend to focus more on what we have in common (which is quite a heck of a lot).

So why do Protestants (especially evangelicals) have such vitriol for Catholics? It seems they tend to think and speak badly of all things RC. Most of them don't really understand Catholicism from their arguments except what is preached to them. Why are they so angry?

What are they angry about? Why am I treated like a witnessing target because I am Catholic? I just kind of smile and shake my inner head....

If they would listen, I would explain; but I usually can't get a word in edge wise between "repent" and "hell" and "idolater." It's like having a conversation with self-appointed Jesus'. Why is that their approach? Not all of them... but the vast majority.

~St. M

Originally posted by St_Michael View Post

So why do Protestants (especially evangelicals) have such vitriol for Catholics? It seems they tend to think and speak badly of all things RC.

Why are they so angry?
    Protestants should never have a vitriol or hate towards any Catholic people. Love, peace, and charity should always be the approach one has with another.

However, there is much passion and zeal within Protestant believers against teachings that the RCC advances that conflicts with the teachings of the Bible.

Evangelicals especially, hold the Bible in a very high place of authority and esteem; and that is why you probably seem more fervancy from that group.

Teachings can be discussed, debated, and even hotly contested at times; however, attacking the individual and assaulting anyone individually; (as opposed to teaching and doctrine); should always be avoided.

Unfortunately there are extreme people within all groups and views. When Protestants attack and angrily assault RCC individuals on a personal level, they have gone too far; and have lost any opportunity at having what they might have to say received in a credible and accepting ear.

The issues themselves, however, are hot-topics....and will probably always be that way between RCC and Protestants as long as the RCC continues to teach and advance some views that are contrary to the Bible.

Fundamentally, that is why many Christian believers who were once apart of the RCC left it; and the modern Protestant groups separated themselves and came out of the RCC.

We can work more on being kind in our outreach and evangelism to Catholics Yes, but the message surely will never cease to go out.

Comment

Originally posted by David Taylor View Post
      Protestants should never have a vitriol or hate towards any Catholic people. Love, peace, and charity should always be the approach one has with another.

However, there is much passion and zeal within Protestant believers against teachings that the RCC advances that conflicts with the teachings of the Bible.

The issues themselves, however, are hot-topics....and will probably always be that way between RCC and Protestants as long as the RCC continues to teach and advance some views that are contrary to the Bible.

Fundamentally, that is why many Christian believers who were once apart of the RCC left it; and the modern Protestant groups separated themselves and came out of the RCC.
      Thanks for the response. I only quoted some of it above, but I really do appreciate most of your words.

I am a Catholic who left the evangelical church and converted many years ago because of the same exact things quoted above. I refer to the "contrary to the Bible" and "conflicts with the teachings of the Bible" comments.

Upon deep study and prayer, I found my way to the Catholic Church. It is interesting how we each have our paths within the Body of Christ.

I am not here to convert or argue. I am here to encourage. You have been a breath of fresh air brother! Thank you!

While we can hurl scripture and doctrine back and forth, and nitpick over nuances in the dogma it is good to know that when it comes right down to it... you have my back and I have yours!

~Godbless

PS-- I will entertain any discussion you'd like to have regarding the entire Catechism of the Catholic Church... not to divide us.. but rather to explain and bring us together on common ground as Christians!

Comment

PS-- I will entertain any discussion you'd like to have regarding the entire Catechism of the Catholic Church... not to divide us.. but rather to explain and bring us together on common ground as Christians!
        Come to the thread:

http://bibleforums.org/showthread.php?t=111414

Unless you're a sedevacantist, you're in for an interesting discussion.

Comment

For me personally, and I WAS anti-Catholic for a time.

1. I didn't get it the first time around, sad to say I wonder if I slept through church.
          2. I still see Protestants as our separated breathren, just missing in the fullness of the faith, as Jesus said, other sheep.
          3. There's no visible viable Protestant counterpart to the Catholic Church. Jesus said he would found a Church, singular, not churches... all slightly different in doctrines and beliefs.

I pray this does not sound anti-Protestant because that is not my intent. I believe we can learn from each other.

Traditions
          2Th 2:15-17 Douay-Rheims Bible
          (15) (2:14) Therefore, brethren, stand fast: and hold the traditions, which you have learned, whether by word or by our epistle.
          (16) (2:15) Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God and our Father, who hath loved us and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope in grace,
          (17) (2:16) Exhort your hearts and confirm you in every good work and word.

1Ti 3:15 DRB
          (15) But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Ephesians 4:13-14 DRB
          (13) Until we all meet into the unity of faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the age of the fullness of Christ:
          (14) That henceforth we be no more children tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the wickedness of men, by cunning craftiness by which they lie in wait to deceive.
          This is the day the Lord has made and I will rejoice and be glad in it!
          Rehoboth, see you at the well!

Comment

150 Reasons Why I am a Catholic
            [originally written in 1992]

1. Best One-Sentence Summary: I am convinced that the Catholic Church conforms much more closely to all of the biblical data, offers the only coherent view of the history of
            Christianity (i.e., Christian, apostolic Tradition), and possesses the most profound and sublime Christian morality, spirituality, social ethic, and philosophy.

2. Alternate: I am a Catholic because I sincerely believe, by virtue of much cumulative evidence, that Catholicism is true, and that the Catholic Church is the visible Church
            divinely-established by our Lord Jesus, against which the gates of hell cannot and will not prevail (Mt 16:18), thereby possessing an authority to which I feel bound in Christian duty to
            submit.

3. 2nd Alternate: I left Protestantism because it was seriously deficient in its interpretation of the Bible (e.g., "faith alone" and its missing many other "Catholic" doctrines - see evidences below), inconsistently selective in its espousal of various doctrines of Catholic Tradition (e.g., the canon of the Bible), inadequate in its ecclesiology, lacking a sensible view of Christian history (e.g., "Scripture alone"; ignorance or inconsistent understanding of of development of doctrine), compromised morally (e.g., contraception, divorce), and unbiblically schismatic and (in effect, or logical reduction, if not always in actual belief) relativistic.

Disclaimer: I don't therefore believe that Protestantism is all bad (not by a long shot - indeed, I think it is a pretty good thing overall), but these are some of the major deficiencies I eventually saw as fatal to the "theory" of Protestantism, over against Catholicism. All Catholics must regard baptized, Nicene, Chalcedonian Protestants as Christians.

Cor ad cor loquitur
            "Heart speaks to heart" - John Henry Cardinal Newman
            Wednesday, September 28, 2005
            *****Featuring 300 Biblical Evidences Favoring Catholicism*****
            Emphasis mine. These are just the first few, visit link for rest.
            This is the day the Lord has made and I will rejoice and be glad in it!
            Rehoboth, see you at the well!

Comment

One good thing about the reformation was the counter reformation and more emphasis being put on evangelization within the Catholic Church.

Protestants however do not have access to all of the sacraments, and many do not recognize the legitimate teaching authority of the Catholic Church from which the canon of their bible is derived.

Comment

There seem to be a lot of Catholic threads lately.

Why don't you guys come on over to the thread mentioned above and defend your late pope, JPII?

Comment

Originally posted by Deriluxa View Post
                  Protestants however do not have access to all of the sacraments, and many do not recognize the legitimate teaching authority of the Catholic Church from which the canon of their bible is derived.
                  Care to share those with us Protestants?

Comment

Originally posted by Deriluxa View Post
                    I'm curious.
                    Which sacraments don't Protestants have access to?
                    What are the teachings of the Roman Catholic church that I don't recognise?
                    It is my understanding that the canon of Scripture was nothing to do with the RC church, it is what was what was in regular use before the RC church came into being. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                      I'm curious.
                      Which sacraments don't Protestants have access to?
                      What are the teachings of the Roman Catholic church that I don't recognise?
                      It is my understanding that the canon of Scripture was nothing to do with the RC church, it is what was what was in regular use before the RC church came into being. . .

The Protestants threw out a bunch of books. If Luther and Calvin had their way the Protestant Bible would even be light a couple more... example James.

They basically axed all the books that dealt with Catholic doctrine that they didn't agree with or want to practice.

Oh and the most sacred sacrament of them all... The Eucharist... Protestants do not have access to. Along with others... example the confessional.

Comment

I will entertain any discussion you'd like to have regarding the entire Catechism of the Catholic Church... not to divide us.. but rather to explain and bring us together on common ground as Christians!
                        Sweet! Thank you!

Oh and the most sacred sacrament of them all... The Eucharist... Protestants do not have access to.
                        Since I have received no response from Opally, I wonder if I might have yours... please read this post and my follow-up post, pray about it, and get back with me (either here or there, it doesn't matter). Looking forward to hearing back from you! - Lk.11
                        analyze. synthesize. repeat.

*It is the next chapter of my life, whether I'm ready or not. My time here in these forums has come to its close. I bless you as I go!*

Comment

...Oh and the most sacred sacrament of them all... The Eucharist... Protestants do not have access to. Along with others... example the confessional.
                          And herein lies the answer to your inquiry as to why non-Catholics resent non-biblical RCC dogma. Who taught you that only Catholics can partake of the Holy Communion (the Lord's Supper)? Let me guess - the Magisterium –right? Per Holy Writ – the Lord’s Supper is an act of worship ordained by Christ and it is a memorial act of worship to be enjoyed and participated in by all Christians – as Jesus said, “do this in remembrance of me…”

Regarding your notion of “the confessional” – the Bible teaches the priesthood of all believers. No man or woman needs a “catholic priest” to intercede between themselves and their God. The catholic priesthood is just one more non-biblical myth that should be rejected by all Christians.

Comment

I have a serious question.

Most all of my Catholic friends do not view Protestants in a bad light. In fact for most Catholics, Protestantism is completely off their radar except for the acknowledgement that they are our "cousins" in the Body of Christ.

Very few choose to debate the differences we have and tend to focus more on what we have in common (which is quite a heck of a lot).

So why do Protestants (especially evangelicals) have such vitriol for Catholics? It seems they tend to think and speak badly of all things RC. Most of them don't really understand Catholicism from their arguments except what is preached to them. Why are they so angry?

What are they angry about? Why am I treated like a witnessing target because I am Catholic? I just kind of smile and shake my inner head....

If they would listen, I would explain; but I usually can't get a word in edge wise between "repent" and "hell" and "idolater." It's like having a conversation with self-appointed Jesus'. Why is that their approach? Not all of them... but the vast majority.

~St. M
                            They protest against something they know nothing about. If people would take the time to actually attend a catholic mass they would be surprised by how biblically and scriptural it is. The misconceptions of iodol worship and lack of biblical or scriptural use, is totally unfounded. It is sad that so many live with this indocrinated bias.

Comment

Originally posted by solja View Post
                              They protest against something they know nothing about. If people would take the time to actually attend a catholic mass they would be surprised by how biblically and scriptural it is. The misconceptions of iodol worship and lack of biblical or scriptural use, is totally unfounded. It is sad that so many live with this indocrinated bias.
                              I have attended RCC mass and I can assure you there is nothing “biblically and scriptural” in the notion of the bread and wine becoming the literal body and blood of Christ when blessed by a Catholic priest. In those same services I observed communicants bowing down before statues in an act of obeisance. I do not see this type of “worship” commanded or practiced in the NT. I do however read about warnings from the LORD not to bow down before such images made by man,
                              "Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me…” Exodus 20:5.

Comment

Working...
                              X