Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were drowning in a river...

A small riddle to ponder :

If you were drowning in a river and looked up to see Jesus on the shore. Would He:

(a) ...jump right in the river and drag you out?

(b) ...throw you a life preserver and tell you to hang on tight while He pulled you out?

(c) ...tell you the way to safety and leave it up to you to swim out?

I'd love to hear your answers (as well as your reasons, of course).
    "And He made men...so that they should seek the Lord,in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him..."

---- Acts 17:26,27 ----

Originally posted by jffl25 View Post

If you were drowning in a river and looked up to see Jesus on the shore. Would He:

(b) ...throw you a life preserver and tell you to hang on tight while He pulled you out?

(a) or (b), but of course, I guess you are gonna say it should be (c).

Reason: I cannot swim.
    "A text without context is a pretext."

Comment

Where's the D option: First have belief in Jesus so He CAN help you!

Well, since the question is direct toward me I feel A is the answer. He already died for me so risking all is the example to live by.
      Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Of course, if you're equating this to salvation from sin, I'd have to say a better way to ask it would be ...

If you had already drowned, would Jesus

(a) ... jump right in, drag out your lifeless body and breathe life into you?
        (b) ... thrown your dead body a life preserver, etc. ?
        (c) ... tell your dead body the way, etc. ?

[Eph 2:4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), ]
        Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

Comment

Originally posted by Pleroo View Post
          Of course, if you're equating this to salvation from sin, I'd have to say a better way to ask it would be ...

If you had already drowned, would Jesus

(a) ... jump right in, drag out your lifeless body and breathe life into you?
          (b) ... thrown your dead body a life preserver, etc. ?
          (c) ... tell your dead body the way, etc. ?

[Eph 2:4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), ]
          I though I over evaluated the question
          Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

d) Matthew 14:29"And He said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus."
            or
            e) you would know you are safe:
            Isaiah 43:2-"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee:..."

(sorry but it is Bible Chat..so I had to use the Bible...)
            Last edited by karenoka27; Jan 22nd 2008, 12:01 AM. Reason: error
            .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
            .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
              I though I over evaluated the question
              That's my specialty.
              Our destiny is to find our identity within the circumference of His identity--to express His nature, character, etc. ever revealing more of Him. ~ R&D Prinzing

Comment

None of the above. All He has to do is speak it, and it is done. Why would He resort to human effort? Why would He tell you to resort to your own human effort?

It would be something like this, except without the boat, and would include the drowning person asking for help:

Jn 6:21 21 Then they willingly received Him into the boat, and immediately the boat was at the land where they were going. NKJV
                Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
                23 Guard your heart above all else,
                for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

(d) ...tell you to stand up and walk out, because it's the Platte River in Nebraska, and it's only 8" deep.

I'm going to have to go with (d) - the Platte River one.

Comment

Hey, I drove by that river before.
                    Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by JerAyala View Post
                      Hey, I drove by that river before.
                      Exciting, wasn't it?

Comment

Oh yes...most definitely. I think I was noticing the temperature more than anything else at the time though.
                        Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

Comment

real river

Well if it were a real river, he might just smile and say, "Your place is ready, meet you there in a sec...."

Comment

Well, I didn't figure this post would go in this direction!!

Funny though...
                            "And He made men...so that they should seek the Lord,in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him..."

---- Acts 17:26,27 ----

Comment

Man, Jesus carries around a life preserver?! That's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X