Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Kingdom of God on Heaven or on Earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Kingdom of God on Heaven or on Earth?

Some say the kingdom is in heaven, others say it is in the hearts of the body of Christ, and some say that the kingdom is going to be inaugurated on earth at Jesus' second coming. So my question to you is this, which is it? Feedback will be much appreciated.

Originally posted by Jaired View Post
    Some say the kingdom is in heaven, others say it is in the hearts of the body of Christ, and some say that the kingdom is going to be inaugurated on earth at Jesus' second coming. So my question to you is this, which is it? Feedback will be much appreciated.
    Lu 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Comment

Jesus says 'Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand.' It seems to me that if we were all going to heaven after we die, then Jesus wouldn't have preached in the way that he did. Surely he didn't believe that everyone he spoke to was going to die and go to heaven soon, being that he preached to everyone. Jesus' entire message was one of a Kingdom on earth, of heaven, but not in it.

Good question,
      Ian

Comment

I believe that the the Kingdom of God is already here in this very world. I understand Jesus as teaching that his entry into the world inaugurates the arrival of the Kingdom of God. And just because Jesus is "gone", this does not mean that His kingdom is not a real and present reality.

From Matthew 12:

But if I drive out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

I think this rules out the view that the kingdom of God lies in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by faithfulfriend
          Lu 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
          How then does Revelation fit into this?

Originally posted by drew
          I believe that the the Kingdom of God is already here in this very world. I understand Jesus as teaching that his entry into the world inaugurates the arrival of the Kingdom of God. And just because Jesus is "gone", this does not mean that His kingdom is not a real and present reality.
          If the Kingdom of God is here now, then it seems like it's quite a bit of a failure. The world today is not a godly place, in case you hadn't noticed. The world thrives on sin, so if this is the Kingdom of God, surely we've been mislead to believe that, 'Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven', could possibly bring about perfection.

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth are passed away; and the sea is no more.

Comment

The Kingdom of God encompasses the entirety of all creation. God's sovereign will is control of all things that we see before us now. The kingdom of God is made up of Heaven and Earth. Heaven is God's throne, while earth is God's footstool. When Christ returns, a New Heaven and Earth will be created.

Here's some verses that support all of what's been said.

Acts 7:49-50
            Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest? Hath not my hand made all these things?

Revelation 21:1-3
            And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

Comment

I think Jesus is the Kingdom of God, where Jesus is there is the Kingdom!
              Alas, I started a study of the K o G but got sidetracked. Here is one thought:
              2 Tim 4:18 it reads The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed, and will bring me safely to His heavenly kingdom; to Him be the glory forever and ever.
              Assuming Paul wrote Timothy then looks like the heavenly kingdom is also somewhere other than on earth. Paul was saved and was already on earth but says the Lord will bring him safely to His heavenly Kingdom.
              Last edited by My heart's Desire; Jan 25th 2008, 07:23 PM. Reason: Hit go before thought was finished. :)
              I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Comment

faihfulfriend, this is what Albert Nolan says about Lk 17 21 This will help answer your question.
                This quotation was written by Albert Nolan in 1976. His book, Jesus Before Christianity has gone through six printings and still sells in bookstores today. Albert Nolan is a native South African who worked with others to liberate the oppressed victims of Apartheid. He is a Dominican priest. This portion of his book can be found on page 58-59 of the 1992 version of his book.

Many Christians have been misled for centuries about the nature of God’s “kingdom” by the well-known mistranslation of Lk 17:21: “The kingdom of God is within you.” Today all serious scholars and translators agree that the text should be read: “The kingdom of God is among you or in your midst.” The Greek word entos can mean “within” or “among” but in the presenyt context to translate it “within” would mean that in answer to the Pharisees’ question about when the “kingdom” of God would come (17:20) Jesus told them that the “kingdom” of God was within them! This would contradict everything else Jesus ever said about the “kingdom” or about the Pharisees. Moreover, since every other reference to the “kingdom” presupposes that it is yet to come and since the verb in every other clause in this passage (17:20-37) is in the future tense, this verse must be understood to mean that one day they will find that the “kingdom” of God is suddenly and unexpectedly in their midst.
                The “kingdom” of God, like any other kingdom, cannot be within a person; it is something which a person can live. Somewhere in the background behind Jesus’ use of the term “kingdom of God” there is a pictorial image. He speaks of people entering into the “kingdom” (Mk 9:47; 10:15, 23, 24, 25, parr; Mt 5:20; 7:21; 18:3; 21:31; 23:13; Jn 3:5). They can sit down in it and eat and drink in it (Mk 14:25; Mt 8:11-12 par; Lk 22:30). The “kingdom” has a door or a gate (Mt 7:13, 14; Lk 13:24) on which one can knock (Mt 7:7-8 par; 25:10-12 par). It also has keys (Mt 16:19; Lk 11:52) and can be locked (Mt 23:13; Lk 13:25). The pictorial image behind this is obviously that of a house or a walled city.
                …The fact that his way of speaking about the “kingdom” is based upon a pictorial image of a house, a city or a community leaves no doubt about what he had in mind: a politically structured society of people here on earth. A “kingdom” is a thoroughly political notion. It is a society in which the political structure is monarchical, that is to say, it is ruled and governed by a king. Nothing that Jesus ever said would lead one to think that he might have used this term in a non-political sense."

Comment

Originally posted by My heart's Desire View Post
                  I think Jesus is the Kingdom of God, where Jesus is there is the Kingdom!
                  Yup. No Kingdom without him..He is God. Couldn't get any simpler than that...

Comment

Amen jaired,

I think revelation gives us a clear picture that the kingdom will be on earth. The idea that the kingdom is here now is kind of upsetting. If the Kingdom is here now, then it really isn't that great. Why should We strive for a kingdom that promotes sin and unrighteousness? 2 Cor 4.4 clearly states that satan is the god of this age

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Friend of I am
                      Yup. No Kingdom without him..He is God. Couldn't get any simpler than that...
                      Well that can't be so. God cannot be tempted and its says Jesus was tempted. Also God cannot die, and yet Jesus died.

So there are contradictions with that. When it comes to doctrines, especially the sacred cows, many people throw logic and reason right out the window.

Comment

faihfulfriend, this is what Albert Nolan says about Lk 17 21 This will help answer your question.
                        This quotation was written by Albert Nolan in 1976. His book, Jesus Before Christianity has gone through six printings and still sells in bookstores today. Albert Nolan is a native South African who worked with others to liberate the oppressed victims of Apartheid. He is a Dominican priest. This portion of his book can be found on page 58-59 of the 1992 version of his book.
                        The Kingdom of God is a SPIRITUAL kingdom, not a PHYSICAL kingdom. Those who are truly saved & sanctified are apart of the kingdom of God.

Luke 17:21 - Adam Clarke
                        The kingdom of God was among the Jews, or rather within some of them. It was a spiritual kingdom, set up in the heart by the power of Divine grace. Observe how it had been with sinners formerly, and in what state the judgments of God, which they had been warned of, found them. Here is shown what a dreadful surprise this destruction will be to the secure and sensual. Thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed. When Christ came to destroy the Jewish nation by the Roman armies, that nation was found in such a state of false security as is here spoken of. In like manner, when Jesus Christ shall come to judge the world, sinners will be found altogether regardless; for in like manner the sinners of every age go on securely in their evil ways, and remember not their latter end. But wherever the wicked are, who are marked for eternal ruin, they shall be found by the judgments of God.

Mr 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

The kingdom of God has already been established....it's a spiritual kingdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Sallip View Post
                          Amen jaired,

I think revelation gives us a clear picture that the kingdom will be on earth. The idea that the kingdom is here now is kind of upsetting. If the Kingdom is here now, then it really isn't that great. Why should We strive for a kingdom that promotes sin and unrighteousness? 2 Cor 4.4 clearly states that satan is the god of this age

Cheers
                          If a person is truly a part of the kingdom of God, it's even MORE than "great."

Words can't express how wonderful it really is.

Comment

Originally posted by faithfulfriend View Post
                            The Kingdom of God is a SPIRITUAL kingdom, not a PHYSICAL kingdom. Those who are truly saved & sanctified are apart of the kingdom of God.

Luke 17:21 - Adam Clarke
                            The kingdom of God was among the Jews, or rather within some of them. It was a spiritual kingdom, set up in the heart by the power of Divine grace. Observe how it had been with sinners formerly, and in what state the judgments of God, which they had been warned of, found them. Here is shown what a dreadful surprise this destruction will be to the secure and sensual. Thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed. When Christ came to destroy the Jewish nation by the Roman armies, that nation was found in such a state of false security as is here spoken of. In like manner, when Jesus Christ shall come to judge the world, sinners will be found altogether regardless; for in like manner the sinners of every age go on securely in their evil ways, and remember not their latter end. But wherever the wicked are, who are marked for eternal ruin, they shall be found by the judgments of God.

Mr 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

The kingdom of God has already been established....it's a spiritual kingdom.

How can a kingdom be "within you?" and whats the point of having a kingdom lodged inside of you? I really don't get why this is so complicated. I think people hold to much to creeds and orthodoxy that they miss simplicity and reason.

Comment

Originally posted by protothor View Post
                              If the Kingdom of God is here now, then it seems like it's quite a bit of a failure. The world today is not a godly place, in case you hadn't noticed. The world thrives on sin, so if this is the Kingdom of God, surely we've been mislead to believe that, 'Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven', could possibly bring about perfection.
                              Hello protothor:

I hear you abnd agree that the world is mired in sin, but I think that we have to take Jesus and Paul's word on things. Jesus identified the inauguration of the kingdom of God with his own entry into the world 2000 years ago. When He gave the great commission, he was insrtucting us to implement kingdom values in this very world in the here and now. The great commission to "make disciples of all the nations" is not for the time after the return of Christ - it is for right now.

And to me the following text is proof that Jesus is saying the Kingdom of God began with His resurrection from the dead 2000 years ago:

And he said to them, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power."

Jesus is obviously speaking of the resurrection as inaugurating the kingdom of God.

Plus, we have Paul announcing the "gospel" of Jesus Christ. Despite what most probably believe, the "gospel" is not news about "how to be saved", it is the announcement that Jesus Christ is the Davidic Messiah who has been raised to life and is now the ruler of this present world, supplanting Ceasar."

The word "gospel" was used in that time to announce the ascendency of a new emperor. Paul knew that and is clearly saying "Jesus is Lord and, by implication, Caesar is not".

Comment

Working...
                              X