going to bachelor party or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going to bachelor party or not

Hi, my cousin asked me to be in his wedding. He is non christian like everybody else in the wedding. The bachelor party will be one of those drinking sinful type ones because my family are partiers and I am in the wedding and am pobably suppose to be at the party. What am I suppose to do? Should I go to the bachelor party? Any help will do, thanks. God bless

Originally posted by buffalo1d View Post
    Hi, my cousin asked me to be in his wedding. He is non christian like everybody else in the wedding. The bachelor party will be one of those drinking sinful type ones because my family are partiers and I am in the wedding and am pobably suppose to be at the party. What am I suppose to do? Should I go to the bachelor party? Any help will do, thanks. God bless
    Where will the party take place? Personally, and I'm sure some people will have issues with this, I would be okay with hanging out at a friends house while they drink. All of our friends know we don't drink, and they know the reasons why. We figure if they still invited us to functions that involve drinking, why not go and possibly show someone there that you can have fun without alcohol.

Though if the party was at a place that I would feel uncomfortable going to.... I would not attend. Or if I knew other things might be going on at the party that I would have a real problem with, I probably wouldn't go. There's no need for me to put myself in that situation, wedding or not. Just my opinion.
    In the New Year, may your right hand always be stretched out in friendship, but never in want.

Comment

Let me ask you this buffalo1d. Does your family and friends know you are a Christian?
      Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
      Not second or third, but first.
      Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
      when He is the source of all hope,
      when His love is received and freely given,
      holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
      will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

I know this sounds weird but would you take Jesus to the party? If you have His spirit within you (temple of God), you take Him where you go.

Are you a church member? What is your churches views on this? If you are a member then you represent them wherever you go.

What will you gain by going? Showing non-christians that you can tolerate sin is not a victory for you or Christ. They already know they can have fun without alcohol, they just choose not to.

Are you seeking justification? If so that is this answer itself. You do not seek justification for things that are good.

You asked our opinions. Mine is, never compromise. Flee from anything that even appears to be sin.

DO NOT GO TO THE PARTY AND LET THEM KNOW WHY IF THEY ASK.

Comment

threebigrocks, my family does, I am not sure if they all know or not, pretty big family.

Comment

I was just facing a similar situation which I posted about. I prayed about it. You need to pray about it as well. I cant tell you to go or not to go. I do know that God will answer you if you ask.
            I'm Sara
            "Jesus wept." John 11:35
            Praying for my sister Mieke.
            sigpic

Comment

threebigrocks, my family does, I am not sure if they all know or not, pretty big family.
              Honestly, if you think about it, what sorts of things will be happening or could be happening that would make a mockery of you and the faith even if you go and "stay clean"? It sounds like it's something you should stay away from.
              Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
              Not second or third, but first.
              Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
              when He is the source of all hope,
              when His love is received and freely given,
              holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
              will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck shot View Post
                I know this sounds weird but would you take Jesus to the party? If you have His spirit within you (temple of God), you take Him where you go.

Are you a church member? What is your churches views on this? If you are a member then you represent them wherever you go.

What will you gain by going? Showing non-christians that you can tolerate sin is not a victory for you or Christ. They already know they can have fun without alcohol, they just choose not to.

Are you seeking justification? If so that is this answer itself. You do not seek justification for things that are good.

You asked our opinions. Mine is, never compromise. Flee from anything that even appears to be sin.

DO NOT GO TO THE PARTY AND LET THEM KNOW WHY IF THEY ASK.
                Considering Jesus came for the sick, not for the healthy, and that He spent the majority of his time with prostitutes, liars, adulterers, etc., it seems as if He wouldn't walk away from them for the simple fact that they are drinking. He would use that time to witness to them.

I just don't think you can give a blanket statement of, do not go to parties where drinking will be involved. I've seen many blessings come from the time we spend with people in situations such as these. Granted, it was never a "party" that got out of hand--more just some friends hanging out and drinking a little.
                In the New Year, may your right hand always be stretched out in friendship, but never in want.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat2911 View Post
                  Considering Jesus came for the sick, not for the healthy, and that He spent the majority of his time with prostitutes, liars, adulterers, etc., it seems as if He wouldn't walk away from them for the simple fact that they are drinking. He would use that time to witness to them.

I just don't think you can give a blanket statement of, do not go to parties where drinking will be involved. I've seen many blessings come from the time we spend with people in situations such as these. Granted, it was never a "party" that got out of hand--more just some friends hanging out and drinking a little.
                  I do agree here.
                  I think the more important issue is will the bachelor party be a stumbling block? It may not be. Everyone is different in the strengths and weaknesses.
                  I'm Sara
                  sigpic

Comment

How do you know if it is a stumbling block?

Comment

How do you know if it is a stumbling block?
                      Will you be tempted to participate in something that may cause you to sin?
                      If you will be tempted...will you be strong enough to resist?

Everyone is different. I personally have to stay away from certain situations because I am not 100% confident that I would resist certain temptations. So for ME, it is better to stay away until I mature in Christ.
                      I'm Sara
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by militarywife View Post
                        I do agree here.
                        I think the more important issue is will the bachelor party be a stumbling block? It may not be. Everyone is different in the strengths and weaknesses.
                        Very good point which definitely deserves repeating.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat2911 View Post

I just gave my opinion as asked. You do not have to agree. I don't have a problem saying don't go around alcohol when I have seen the outcome in my own life. I have not seen the blessing you have.

I don't think that a bachelor party is the type of place Jesus hung out and it does not sound like the question was "should I go there to witness?" I seriously dought the intent was to even bring a bible along.

Jesus did not come for the "sick or the healthy", He came for all of mankind. He did not spend the majority of His time with the folks you described either. The ones that He was around came to Him, He did not go to them. I believe He spent most of His time in prayer. Them men and women that surrounded Him most of the time were disciples not who you mentioned.

Comment

It would probably just be me sitting there doing nothing then, I am in wheelchair.

Comment

I just gave my opinion as asked. You do not have to agree. I don't have a problem saying don't go around alcohol when I have seen the outcome in my own life. I have not seen the blessing you have.

Very true. I apologize if I came across in a negative manner. I definitely respect what you said as your opinion.

Jesus did not come for the "sick or the healthy", He came for all of mankind. He did not spend the majority of His time with the folks you described either. The ones that He was around came to Him, He did not go to them. I believe He spent most of His time in prayer. Them men and women that surrounded Him most of the time were disciples not who you mentioned.
                              Luke 5:27-31
                              27 After this he went out, and saw a tax collector, named Levi, sitting at the tax office; and he said to him, "Follow me." 28 And he left everything, and rose and followed him. 29 And Levi made him a great feast in his house; and there was a large company of tax collectors and others sitting at table with them. 30 And the Pharisees and their scribes murmured against his disciples, saying, "Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?" 31 And Jesus answered them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick; 32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

Comment

Working...
                              X