Baptism of the Spirit and Salvation, are one in the same

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
    If they were, they didn't speak in tongues till the day of pentecost.

But to directly answer your question, no they were not baptised with the Holy Spirit before Pentecost. Here's the verse in Acts 1 leading up to it that I have quoted previously.

Acts 1:4-9
    4 And gathering them together, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait for what the Father had promised, "Which," He said, "you heard of from Me; 5 for John baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now. "

6 And so when they had come together, they were asking Him, saying, "Lord, is it at this time You are restoring the kingdom to Israel?" 7 He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority; 8 but you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth. "
    NASB

What they had received before Pentecost was the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. That occurred in John 20.

John 20:21-22
    21 Jesus therefore said to them again, "Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you." 22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.
    NASB

When one gets saved, they receive the Holy Spirit internally. However, when one gets baptized in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit comes "upon" someone.

I agree. And when they are baptised, they will speak in tongues. All is good.
    Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

Originally posted by menJesus View Post
      I agree. And when they are baptised, they will speak in tongues. All good.
      Except that being filled and being baptized are one and the same. And neither Christ nor Paul spoke in tongues when they were filled.

Problem... most people that teach this doctrine use examples. On the other hand, they ignore or try to explain away the examples where speaking in tongues did not occur. It's a biased reading of scripture. Basically, one is saying "I will take these examples and make a doctrine", yet scripture does not plainly state that tongues IS the evidence of filling. It does however, plainly state that tongues is not nor can be given to every believer but the Holy Spirit baptism can be. Scripture also plainly states that power is the evidence. Jesus himself, when given the opportunity, did not say "and when the baptism has come, you will receive tongues". Instead he said "When you are baptized, you will have power to be my witnesses". There is the evidence... power.

I know I am sounding like a broken record, but it bears repeating. Perhaps we won't agree.
      Matt 9:13
      13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
      NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Clifton View Post
        Dear friends, what does your Bible say for Acts 2:6-12?

I'll copy something down from my Greek Parallel Bible, but in the meantime, please check those verses out. In short, let me express that the Greek word the writer used in verses 2:6,8 is "dialeto" <1258>. People were speaking in various known languages, but despite their were languages that people did not know, they were hearing the sayings in their own language, and that was the immersion (baptism) in/with The Holy Spirit (see Acts 1:5ff). This was a "jump start" for the Gospel, because the writings were not readily available, and/or written yet, and was only heard of by word of mouth (there is a scripture reference that specifies this, but I cannot remember where it is at this moment). The Gospel was spread at a better and faster pace due to this.

As for "unknown tongues", to my knowledge, that only occurs in 1 Corinthians 14:2, 4, 13, 19, 27. As I recall, it was mainly being addressed due to abuse[?].

No, speaking of tongues - with and without the baptism - is what makes this subject so confusing for most people.
        Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

As I said, when you get the baptism, you WILL know it! And you WILL speak in tongues.

Smith Wigglesworth: Baptism in the holy Spirit

Originally produced in a tract in November 1907 then published in 'Confidence' magazine, October 1908, p. 11, 15-16.
          Later published in Redemption Tidings, February 14, 1947, p. 4

DEAR MR. & MRS. BODDY,
          After 7 full days of the Glorious Presence of the Glory of God resting upon me, I send you this testimony for the Glory of God. For 3 months I have been exercised about the full Pentecost. I had the clear witness of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit 14 years ago last July, [Ed. 1894] and this brought a marvellous manifestation of God in special gifts to sick ones, and a constant living and seeking to bring others to Jesus. But from time to time when reading the Acts of the Apostles I always saw that the signs were not following as I am led to believe ought to be after a real Pentecost, according to Mark xvi. The desire more and more increased in my very inner soul, giving me a holy breathing cry after this clear manifestation. I have visited meetings at London, and Sunderland, and other places, but always knew they were not seeking Pentecosts. There seemed a great deal of letter, but very little of the spirit that would give the hungry and needy a Baptism of Fire such as would burn up distinctions and officiousness and appearance of Pride and evidences of social standing.

Bowland Street Mission

To-day I am actually living in the Acts of the Apostles’ time. I am speaking with new tongues, the Holy Fire of God’s Presence fills me till my pen moves to the glory of God, and my whole being is filled with the Presence of the Holy Ghost. Almost am I led to believe that 20 years is not too long to wait for the Holy Anointing of God the Holy Ghost.

On Friday, 25th [October 1907 Ed.] we had a special meeting at the Mission Room, Bowland Street, Bradford, and after waiting about 2 hours the Presence of God came in a wonderful way and gave me a move as at the beginning. I perfectly well understood the glow and Holy Presence. This was felt by others, also. On Saturday, I and a friend went on to Sunderland to wait for Pentecost at All Saints’, at Mr. Boddy’s Church. We had heard much about this blessed work and were encouraged, but after arriving at Sunderland found the enemy very busy discouraging believers; this did not disturb me, because I had gone with an open mind and prayed much to be clearly convinced if there was anything there that did not reveal the Glory of God that I would at once have cleared out and protested against it, but God was with me there. But I found the full Presence and Power to restore believers and to heal the sick. My experience is that this does not take place in some kinds of meetings, the reason is that, to a great measure, they do not believe the full Gospel, and it is nothing new to me to find great leaders against the tongues, and I find that, even in these times, “they cannot enter in because of their unbelief.” I praise God for Pentecost.

On Sunday morning, Oct. 26th, [Wigglesworth was mistaken – it was 27th Ed.] after waiting much on God, I went to the Salvation Army Meeting, Roker Avenue. God bless the Army. They at once gave me a welcome, and already realising His Presence in my body I longed for communion, and when after praying the Glory of God covered me. I was conscious at the same time of much the experience I believe Daniel had in his 10th chapter. After this I regained strength to kneel, and continued in this Holy Glow of God all the day still realising a mightier work to follow. I went to All Saints’, to the Communion Service, and after this was led on to wait in the Spirit, many things taking place in the waiting-meetings that continued to bring me to a hungry feeling for Holy Righteousness. At about 11 a.m., Tuesday morning, at All Saints’ Vicarage, I asked a sister to help me to the witness of the Baptism of the Holy Ghost. She laid hands on me in the presence of a brother.

All Saints’ Parish Hall, Sunderland

The fire fell and burned in me till the Holy Spirit clearly revealed absolute purity before God. At this point she was called out of the room, and during her absence a marvellous revelation took place, my body became fill1 of light and Holy Presence, and in the revelation I saw an empty Cross and at the same time the Jesus I loved and adored crowned in the Glory in a Reigning Position. The glorious remembrance of these moments is beyond my expression to give-when I could not find words to express, then an irresistible Power filled me and moved my being till I found to my glorious astonishment I was speaking in other tongues clearly. After this a burning love for everybody filled my soul. I am overjoyed in giving my testimony, praying for those that fight this truth, but I am clearly given to understand that I must come out of every unbelieving element. I am already witness of signs following. Praise Him.

SMITH WIGGLESWORTH

From Stanley Frodsham's 'Smith Wigglesworth - Apostle of Faith,' chapter 5.

At the time I received the Baptism in the Spirit, a meeting was going on in the large vestry of the All Saints’ Church, and I went straight to it. The vicar of the church, Pastor Boddy, had charge and he was speaking. I knew that as yet he had not received the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, and I interrupted him by saying, “Oh, please let me speak, Mr. Boddy; I have just received the Baptism in the Holy Ghost.”

The place was full of people. I can’t remember what I said, but I know I made all those people extremely dissatisfied and discontented with their position. They said, “We have been rebuking this man because he was so intensely hungry, but he has come in for a few days and has received the Baptism and some of us have been waiting here for months and have not yet received.” A great hunger came upon them all. From that day God began to pour out His Spirit until in a very short while fifty had received the Baptism.

The first thing I did was to telegraph to my home saying “I have received the Baptism in the Holy Ghost and have spoken in tongues.” On the train to my home town, the Devil began questioning, “Are you going to take this to Bradford?” As regards my feelings at the moment, I had nothing to take, but the just do not live by feelings but by faith. So I shouted out on the railroad coach to everybody’s amazement, “Yes, I’m taking it!” A great joy filled me as I made this declaration, but somehow I knew that from that moment it would be a great fight all the time.

When I arrived home one of my sons said to me, “Father, have you been speaking in tongues?” I replied, “Yes, George.” “Then let’s hear you,” he said. But I could say nothing, for although I had received the Baptism in the Holy Ghost, I had not received the distinct gift of tongues. That did not come until nine months later.

My son did not understand that the speaking with tongues which accompanies the receiving of the Baptism in the Spirit is not the “gift of tongues” spoken of in I Corinthians 12. The former is given as evidence that the Spirit has come in Pentecostal fullness; but there may not be any further utterance in tongues unless there is a special anointing of the Spirit. The “gift of tongues,” however, is such that the receiver may use it for prayer or praise at any time.

My wife said to me, “So you’ve been speaking with tongues, have you?” I replied, “Yes.” “Well,” she said, “It want you to understand that I am as much baptised as you are and I don’t speak in tongues.” I saw that the contest was beginning right at home. “I have been preaching for twenty years,” she continued, “and you have sat beside me on the platform, but on Sunday you will preach yourself, and I’ll see what there is in it.”

She kept her word. On Sunday she took a seat at the back of the building. We had always sat together on the platform until that day. So the contest had begun tight in the church.

There were three steps up to the platform and as I went up those three steps the Lord gave me the scripture in Isaiah 61: 1-3, “The Spirit of the Lord God is upon Me; because the Lord hath anointed Me to preach good tidings unto the meek; He hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound.” I was no preacher, but hearing the voice of my Lord speaking those words to me, I began. I cannot now remember what I said but my wife was terribly disturbed. The bench on which she sat would seat nine people and she moved about on it until she had sat on every part of it. Then she said in a voice that all around her could hear, “That’s not my Smith, Lord, that’s not my Smith!”

I was giving out the last hymn when the secretary of the mission stood up and said, “I want what our leader has received.” The strange thing was that when he was about to sit down he missed his seat and went right down on the floor. Then my eldest son arose and said he wanted what his father had and he, too, took his seat right down on the floor. In a short while there were eleven people tight on the floor of that mission. The strangest thing was that they were all laughing in the Spirit and laughing at one another. The Lord had really turned again the captivity of Zion and the mouth of His children was being filled with laughter according to the word of the Lord in Psalm 126: I, 2.

That was the beginning of a great outpouring of the Spirit where hundreds received the Baptism in the Holy Ghost and everyone of them spoke in tongues as the Spirit of God gave utterance.
          Last edited by menJesus; Feb 3 2008, 11:41 PM. Reason: add

Comment

No, BrotherMark, I must disagree. They are not the same. If they were, then why have two separate acts here?

Is everybody baptised in the Spirit? No.

Does everybody have the gift of speaking in tongues? No.

The Holy Spirit pours Himself out upon us as He Wills.

Why doesn`t everybody receive the baptism? I will maybe never know.

But thank God, we are all filled with the Spirit when we are saved.

Comment

No, BrotherMark, I must disagree. They are not the same. If they were, then why have two separate acts here?

Is everybody baptised in the Spirit? No.

Does everybody have the gift of speaking in tongues? No.

The Holy Spirit pours Himself out upon us as He Wills.

Why doesn`t everybody receive the baptism? I will maybe never know.

But thank God, we are all filled with the Spirit when we are saved.
              Changing your mind again? Even given what Acts 2 states?

And if we get filled when we get saved, why would Paul instruct the Ephesians (who were saved) to be filled with the Holy Spirit? Also, when he did that, he said not to be drunk with wine, but be filled with the Spirit. Just like folks thought those in Acts 2 were drunk, there is a drunkeness in the Spirit that comes on those that are baptized/filled.
              13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
              NASU

Comment

I haven`t changed my mind the first time, yet. 1 = 1 = 2, not 1!

"And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak in tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." (misquote?mine)

Not all who are filled, speak in tongues. If what you are thinking here is true, then what about all the billions of people who never spoke in tongues? Not all receive this gift.

If one has to speak in tongues to be filled with the Spirit, then this means that very few actually have been filled.

The Bible says that we are all filled - we ARE ALL FILLED - when we get saved.

Your evidence here is not good enough. Actually, its just wrong, period. Sorry.

I can`t find the verse in Ephesians, so that will have to wait.

But I believe Paul was admonishing them not to be filled with the cares of life, but to be filled with the Spirit. And yes, I do know all about being drunk in the Spirit.
                That happened to me at 6:45AM, one time, at a bus stop, of all places!

I stand on what I said from the beginning.
                Last edited by menJesus; Feb 4 2008, 12:35 AM. Reason: add

Comment

No, speaking of tongues - with and without the baptism - is what makes this subject so confusing for most people.
                  Well, I believe we can become ecstatic <1611> and so on by the mere presence of the Lord - I've been there. In this case perhaps one might feel immersed (aka "baptized") with that presence, and/or the Holy Spirit. The Lord comes when we need Him... He might "overwhelm" (aka "baptize") you to give you some wonderful joy, or something to relax you that you are about to find out - like a mailbox filled with too many bills. You can be "saturated" with his love as you "immerse" yourself into the Bible (the ripple effect I guess it might be called).

Another catch to the confusion is learning what immersions/baptisms means:
                  to dip. Immerse, submerge for a religious purpose, to overwhelm, saturate.
                  Example: a person who is totally committed to their career is "immersed" in their work.

BTW, I had left you a post in the Arena Form, #1524160, referring you to a thread I long ago started to where I replied to your message at, but it has been bundled into a different thread a while ago that is not in the spirit of the OP (I was too slow in completing it I guess, OTOH, it WOULD answer the question of the OP once it is completed but I guess they are long gone now), which was called "Immersions: Their Instruments, Modes, Agents, Etc.", but you can access the second post to you by clicking here: 1524156. I have come to the conclusion that the "Immersions: Their Instruments, Modes, Agents, Etc." Study is not befitting for a number of posts in a forum/group, but instead needs to be put into a PDF file and WEB page, and posted to my domain.

As you see in Acts 2, those were "known" tongues and were needed to spread the gospel at a better pace - i.e. Hebrew Speak to a Greek Speaker, vice versa, and etc. But before your reply, please check out my previous two posts to you.
                  Last edited by Clifton; Feb 4 2008, 12:35 AM. Reason: Corrected Post Number #2
                  "A text without context is a pretext."

Comment

Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                    Look at what you do here.

Paul's point isn't that this is a prayer language and no interpretation is necessary. Paul's point is that if there ain't an interpreter there to interpret it to the corporate body.... then keep it to yourself. That's all. While there is no interpretation necessary in your spirit being edified... it is for the body to be edified. But when all is said and done... the TONGUES is the same. It just must be treated differently if done privately or in a corporate setting. That's the only difference. Not the "TONGUES" themselves... that is the same.
                    I speak in tongues as prayer-there is no interpretation necessary because I am not speaking to man-but to God. Most of my "tongue speaking" is for my own private prayer time. "he who speaks in a tongue, does not speak to man, but to God, indeed no one understands" 1 Cor.14:2: Now that I have been baptised in the Holy Spirit I can do this anytime I want to-just trusting that the Spirit gives me the words to say.

"If I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my understanding is unfruitful, so what shall I do? I will pray with my mind and I will also pray with my spirit."1 Cor.14:14

Once in a while, the Lord uses me in the public gift of tongues-this is a distinct unction from the Holy Spirit during a worship service-where I know that the Lord wants me to speak aloud in a tongue-for me, this is not only an "inner knowing" but a real physical burning in my Spirit. This is what the Bible calls-the "gift" of tongues., and needs interpretation so that the church can be built up.

I cannot do this just because I think the church needs to hear a word or because I feel like it-it only happens rarely.

I know many, many Christians who speak in tongues as prayer and praise-but they have never been used by the Holy Spirit to speak an utterance in tongues-however, some have been used in "interpretation" or in "prophesy"

The Bible makes it plain that the 'gifts of the Spirit are for "when you come together" which is why Paul said that he prayed in tongues quite often-but, in the church, not so much.

There is no reason to believe that Paul didn't speak in tongues-since he's the one who said,,,"I thank God I speak in tongues more than you all"--and as far as Jesus is concerned-He is God-what language would He not know? Besides that, the Holy Spirit wasn't poured out in this way until Jesus was glorified. No one spoke in tongues until the baptism in the Spirit of the disciples-in Acts 2-and guess what, they ALL spoke in tongues-not one at a time, each in turn and let one interpret-like the gifts are to be used...

Paul said, "If I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my understanding is unfruitful-so what shall I do? I will pray with my mind and I will also pray with my spirit, I will sing with my spirit and I will sing with my understanding also"

Praying in the spirit = tongues-pretty plain from the above quote by Paul

And the scripture doesn't say we are all "filled' when we get saved--We've already given several scriptural examples where this was a seperate work--so you can't even suggest that-the Bible doesn't agree.

Comment

Originally posted by godsgirl View Post
                      There is no reason to believe that Paul didn't speak in tongues-since he's the one who said,,,"I thank God I speak in tongues more than you all"--and as far as Jesus is concerned-He is God-what language would He not know? Besides that, the Holy Spirit wasn't poured out in this way until Jesus was glorified.
                      I believe Paul spoke in tongues. But he didn't do it when he was baptized in the Spirit. It was his gift.

Jesus did have the Spirit poured out on him like a dove. He comes on us like a fire. While Jesus was God, he was also a man. He didn't know Russian. He had to learn and grow just as we do.

Again, here are two examples, that when they were baptized with the Holy Spirit did not speak in tongues.
                      NASU

Comment

[quote=Brother Mark;1524473]I believe Paul spoke in tongues. But he didn't do it when he was baptized in the Spirit. It was his gift.

How do you know he didn't??? The Bible doesn't say.

However, contrary to what some are saying-the baptism in the Spirit cannot be the same as salvation because--Ananias, putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto you in the way as you came, has sent me, that you might receive your sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized."--Acts 9:17,18.

Ananias acknowledged Paul's newfound faith by referring to him, not as an enemy, but as "Brother" Saul. I emphasize this point because I've heard those who argue against tongues, claim that Paul wasn't converted on the Road to Damascus, but instead received Christ three days later when Ananias laid his hands on him.

Let's stop and analyze that theory for a moment.

The Scriptures tell us spefically what Ananias did.

Ananias did not preach Paul a sermon.

He did not lead Paul in the Sinner's Prayer.

He did exactly what the Lord told him to do.

Jesus did not say, "Lead him into faith in Me."

No.

Ananias said to Paul, that the Lord:

"...has sent me, that you might receive your sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost."

Wait a minute???? He was saved---before he talked to Ananias. So, no salvation does not = being baptised in the Holy Spirit.

also, as far as "tongues being Pauls gift"?

Gifts, according to Paul-are "for when you come together"--that's not when he prayed in tongues.

Jesus did have the Spirit poured out on him like a dove. He comes on us like a fire. While Jesus was God, he was also a man. He didn't know Russian. He had to learn and grow just as we do.

Again, here are two examples, that when they were baptized with the Holy Spirit did not speak in tongues.

No one spoke in tongues until the day of Pentecost in Acts 2--and since tongues are a language unknown to the speaker-how could there be a language God doesn't know? So, in neither one of your 'examples" are we shown anything other than what's already been scripturally shown-"when we are given initial evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit-tongues are there".

Comment

Originally posted by godsgirl View Post
                          How do you know he didn't??? The Bible doesn't say. Gifts, according to Paul-are "for when you come together"--that's not when he prayed in tongues.
                          Glad you are willing to ask how I know he didn't. But the opposite question is just as valid... How do you know he did? God didn't record it if he did. And he didn't record it for a very good reason. Why? To give us an example that speaking in tongues doesn't always accompany the baptism.

No one spoke in tongues until the day of Pentecost in Acts 2--and since tongues are a language unknown to the speaker-how could there be a language God doesn't know?
                          There were a lot of things Jesus didn't know. He layed aside his all knowing ability when he became "lower than the angels". For this reason scripture says he grew in wisdom. Jesus actually had to learn.

Luke 2:52

52 And Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.
                          NASB

So if he increased in wisdom, did he know it all to begin with? Nope. Jesus, in his humanity had to learn. Jesus, as a man didn't know all the languages. There was plenty Jesus didn't know. That's why he, in the power of the Spirit, often "perceived" things just as we would do today. He was exorcising the gifts of the Spirit that he was empowered with after his baptism in the Spirit.
                          NASU

Comment

Ephesians 4:5, in speaking of what saves, Paul says there is ONE baptism, so if you haven't been baptized by the Spirit, then you aren't saved. That one baptism sure ain't water baptism since water can't wash away sins.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry4America View Post
                              Ephesians 4:5, in speaking of what saves, Paul says there is ONE baptism, so if you haven't been baptized by the Spirit, then you aren't saved. That one baptism sure ain't water baptism since water can't wash away sins.
                              Can one be saved and not filled with the Spirit? If so, why the command to the Ephesians to be filled with the Spirit?
                              NASU

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                                Can one be saved and not filled with the Spirit?
                                Absolutely. I know MANY Christians that are that way. I have to even grab the seat of my own britches sometimes and get my life straight so the Comforter can FILL my heart and life. That is your daily battle as a Christian between the old man and the new man.
                                If so, why the command to the Ephesians to be filled with the Spirit?
                                Easy. They had the Holy Spirit which SEALS people to the day of redemption, but their life was filled with little sins that God wanted to have cleaned up. If the new man takes more control and Jesus is on the throne, then you are ready for the Holy Spirit to spread out in your heart and therefore FILL it. If you DON'T and let the old man take control, then the new man takes a back seat in your heart and you sit on the throne.
                                How do you get "filled with the Spirit?" Easy. "The words that I speak unto you, they are SPIRIT and they are life."John 6:63 Read the Bible a lot. Let those words sink in your ears and that book will keep you from sin or sin will keep you from that book.

Comment

Working...
                                X