Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Battlefield of the Mind", have you read it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Battlefield of the Mind", have you read it?

A friend recently recommended Joyce Meyer's book on the Battlefield of the Mind which I haven't read yet. Have you read it? What do you think?

w.o.o.
    "The flowers appear on the earth,
    the time of singing has come,
    and the voice of the turtledove
    is heard in our land
    ." SofS 2:12 (RSV)

I would be very careful. Joyce Meyer is a nice person and I am sure she means well, but she is part of the Word of Faith movement.

It is a mix of new age, gnostic mysticism, and borrows heavily from the metaphysical cults. It also has roots in Christian Science.

If you would like more information, please PM me.

~Godbless

PS.... on the surface it really is not that bad, but the deeper you get into it the heresies become evident.

Comment

Well, the Christian's mind is certainly a battleground between good and Evil, and what I've heard of Joyce Meyer she doesn't usuallly pull any punches . . . so I'll be interested to know your opinion of the book.

Comment

I have read it, but she has written other books that I liked much better.

She is candid, though, and has some very good points regarding our walk with God, and how to gain and keep the right mindset.
        Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

I have read it and it's a great book. It deals with the mindsets of Christians and how to put your trust in the Lord in helping your thoughts in striving to have the mind of Christ, so to speak, and to avoid negative thinking which satan wants us to have etc. The devil does take over our minds more than we think. I read the book in 4 days, and she made some excellant points in this book. Course she says in the book that it won't happen over night that it is something that with the help of the Lord you can overcome your negative thinking etc.

Comment

Hrmm... yep... Charismatic version of Dianetics. This is dangerous stuff wrapped in what seems to be Christianity.

Be careful what you read folks.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Michael View Post
              Hrmm... yep... Charismatic version of Dianetics. This is dangerous stuff wrapped in what seems to be Christianity.

Oh, well you know, Joyce has listed scriptures all through this book and they are the same scriptures that I have in my King James Version!

Comment

I have pages and pages and pages of material on her.... ill just post one link... you will have to continue through by clicking next.... the link I provide here is a brief overview of her.. both good and not-so-good.

5 or 6 pages total. PM me for more resources on her and WoF.

Don't be Deceived Brothers and Sisters

I wrote the link name... the resource is a real objective look as to what she is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Michael View Post

Have you read this? Which parts do you disagree with?
                  Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

Originally posted by menJesus View Post
                    Have you read this? Which parts do you disagree with?
                    Very good question menJesus! I would like to know if St_Michael has read this book to. Like to old saying goes, don't judge a book by it's cover.

Comment

Pretty much Meyer's take on the whole thing.. read response #5.. dangerous stuff.

Response #5 pretty much says it all. See my link above for additional information.

Comment

Originally posted by skc53 View Post
                        Very good question menJesus! I would like to know if St_Michael has read this book to. Like to old saying goes, don't judge a book by it's cover.

Not only that one but several, as well as, listened to her cds. She is not a bad person, but she teaches a heretical brand of Christianity... the Word of Faith movement.

Comment

Word-Faith Movement

Also known as "Name-in-Claim-it," "Health and Wealth Gospel," "Positive Confession," "Word of Faith," etc.

Word-Faith teachers owe their ancestry to groups like Christian Science, Swedenborgianism, Theosophy, Science of Mind, and New Thought--not to classical Pentecostalism. It reveals that at their very core, Word-Faith teachings are corrupt. Their undeniable derivation is cultish, not Christian. The sad truth is that the gospel proclaimed by the Word-Faith movement is not the gospel of the New Testament. Word-Faith doctrine is a mongrel system, a blend of mysticism, dualism, and gnosticism that borrows generously from the teachings of the metaphysical cults. The Word-Faith movement may be the most dangerous false system that has grown out of the charismatic movement so far, because so many charismatics are unsure of the finality of Scripture
                          John MacArthur, Charismatic Chaos, p. 290

There are many perculiar ideas and practices in the Faith theology, but what merits it the label of heresy are the following: 1) its deistic view of God, who must dance to men's attempts to manipulate the spiritual laws of the universe; 2) its demonic view of Christ, who was filled with "the Satanic nature" and must be "born again in hell; 3) its gnostic view of revelation, which demands denial of the physical senses and classifies Christians by their willingness to do so; and 4) its metaphysical view of salvation, which deifies man and spiritualizes the atonement, locating it in hell rather than on the cross, thereby subverting the crucial biblical belief that it is Christ's physical death and shed blood, which alone atone for sin. All four of these heresies may be accounted for by Kenyon's syncretism of methaphysical thought with traditional biblical doctrine"
                          D.R. McConnell, A Different Gospel
                          Last edited by St_Michael; Feb 2nd 2008, 02:41 AM. Reason: Added Links

Comment

Originally posted by skc53
                            sorry but the link you posted doesn't work!
                            yeah it does

Comment

From what I read, a lot of people had some good things to say about her teachings, and then I read, however, another explanation, and I thought, oh, this is probably from someone that doesn't like Joyce Meyer who knows nothing about her or what she teaches or whatever. I went to see her with a friend of mine, when she came to Little Rock and she taught from the Bible, in a way people could understand it. She taught on some of the things in the book Battlefield of the Mind, like your mindsets etc. How to overcome negative thinking and not let the devil take over your mind. What's so bad about teaching people things like this? If it helps you to drive the devil away and get your mind on God and acting the way a Christian should act and think, I don't understand what you don't like about this and especially quoting scriptures from the Bible all through her sermons? Sure she may teach and preach different from most preachers, but she still teaches from the Bible! Same goes from watching her on t.v.

Comment

Working...
                              X