AKJV vs. ESV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help AKJV vs. ESV

I currently have an NIV and an NLT (don't like this one, though) study bible.

I am looking at the ESV, but I am also considering AKJV as it seems to be almost literally written like the KJV except mordern wording.

Anyone have any knowledge of the American King James Version? Recommendable? Can't find much review on it.

What is my reason for a new one? I want a Bible that is not very modernized as possible...Changing a couple non-significant words to be easier read is fine. Also, I don't really want a set stance...I have read about the ESV being pretty impartial and not gearing towards one theology.

(My husband just purchased a KJV...I mention him having the KJV so no one recommends it)

Nevermind...I think I'm just going to get my own KJV study bible...then eventually check out the ESV once I have taken the time w/ the KJV.

Thankfully we have a concordance to help me understand some of the words. I have read the NIV, so I have a bit of an understanding already of the verses, too.

This decision came based on some reading I just did between the Byzantine and Alexandria texts.

Comment

Originally posted by RZ06 View Post
      Nevermind...I think I'm just going to get my own KJV study bible...then eventually check out the ESV once I have taken the time w/ the KJV.

Thankfully we have a concordance to help me understand some of the words. I have read the NIV, so I have a bit of an understanding already of the verses, too.

This decision came based on some reading I just did between the Byzantine and Alexandria texts.
      RZ06 greetings

I haven't examined the AKJV, but in comparing scripture in other translations have noticed that in the times compared that it hasn't tried to rewrite the Bible, which is always a good sign.

I love the Old King James. For more than ten generations it was considered to be the inspired Word of God.

It wasn't until recently that men who didn't believe the Bible to be inspired set out to change it.

The Bible is interwoven from passage to passage, from book to book, from Old Testament to New Testament. Changing the words and word order cuts off the blood flow and nerve endings.

Exchanging God's thoughts for man's thoughts, as does the dynamic equivalency books, will turn a Book that is inexhaustible into a book written by man. One that you can sit down and read a couple of times and know all there is to know.

Best regards, Terrell

Comment

If you already have a KJV study bible I would suggest you get another version simply because I believe the best way to study God's word is through using various translations. That way the word becomes alive and real to you. And this is not to knock KJV. It was the second bible I purchased myself. The ESV is great and if you couple that with the study bible you've got one heck of a study bible. And you should also get a Hebrew and Greek dictionary. Concordances typically aren't really for defining words, rather to find them in scripture.

Good luck either way you go.
        This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

esv or akjv

personally i would say esv but thats because ive never even heard of the akjv and i work in a christian book store lol. im assuming the akjv is rather new?

but on the esv, aside from the interlinear, nasb and the amp its suppose to be the most accurate english translation

here check this link out
          http://www.notjustanotherbook.com/im...comparison.gif

its a chart of different bible translations and they have them ranked as far as accuracy goes. hope you like it

Comment

Originally posted by brdhggns View Post
            esv or akjv

but on the esv, aside from the interlinear, nasb and the amp its suppose to be the most accurate english translation
            Crossway publishes an ESV reverse interlinear which is quite excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by -SEEKING- View Post
              If you already have a KJV study bible I would suggest you get another version simply because I believe the best way to study God's word is through using various translations. That way the word becomes alive and real to you. And this is not to knock KJV. It was the second bible I purchased myself. The ESV is great and if you couple that with the study bible you've got one heck of a study bible. And you should also get a Hebrew and Greek dictionary. Concordances typically aren't really for defining words, rather to find them in scripture.

Good luck either way you go.
              I don't have one (I have an NIV and NLT), but my husband got one and we tend to read at the same time...So that's why I said I was going to get one too.

Thanks for the dictionary tip...I was figuring that I could just look the word up and then cross reference with verses, but you have a very good point. I will do that. I'm sure my husband would like one too (dictionary).

But yes, after I do enough studying of the KJV, I will eventually check out the ESV

Comment

esv or akjv

personally i would say esv but thats because ive never even heard of the akjv and i work in a christian book store lol. im assuming the akjv is rather new?

here check this link out
                http://www.notjustanotherbook.com/im...comparison.gif

its a chart of different bible translations and they have them ranked as far as accuracy goes. hope you like it
                I think it is very new b/c last night I wasn't able to find one anywhere online, lol. I figured, if I was going to get it, that I would have to do some heavy searching.

I checked out verse comparison and it seems to be almost identical to the KJV except some of the words, like "thee", "thou", etc are modern.

Comment

I just looked up a Hebrew & Greek dictionary and the Strongest Strong's Concordance came up...That's what we have. It has a dictionary in the back. And then pair it up with this site: http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

I have just started using that thing, so I guess that's why I didn't know that

Comment

Originally posted by thepenitent View Post
                    Crossway publishes an ESV reverse interlinear which is quite excellent.
                    yeah ive seen that before. i keep telling myself im going to get one but i never do.

the interlinear combined with a strongs is like a gift from God. or at least to us who are uneducated on hebrew and greek lol

Comment

I think it is very new b/c last night I wasn't able to find one anywhere online, lol. I figured, if I was going to get it, that I would have to do some heavy searching.

I checked out verse comparison and it seems to be almost identical to the KJV except some of the words, like "thee", "thou", etc are modern.
                      ya i figured it would be rather new. ive never heard of it and like i said i work at a christian book store and im around a million different translations

Comment

yeah ive seen that before. i keep telling myself im going to get one but i never do.

the interlinear combined with a strongs is like a gift from God. or at least to us who are uneducated on hebrew and greek lol
                        Since the interlinear gives you the Strong's number, I would match it with the "Complete Word Study Dictionary" by Spiros Zodhiates rather than a Strongs' concordance. TCWSD is a MUCH better dictionary than whats included in the Strongs and has much more complete and informative definitions of the Greek/Hebrew words in question. It is probably the most used reference book I have in my library.

Comment

I hadn't heard of the AKJV. I guess that'll be a new one for me to check out.

My primary translation is the ESV, though I use many others. I also like the HCSB, and if it came in fine leather editions, such as those by Cambridge and R.L. Allan, and if there were an HCSB study bible comparable to the ESV Study Bible (there are HCSB study bibles, but none come close), I might even prefer it to the ESV. When I want to compare a thought-for-thought translation, it's usually the TNIV that I reach for first.

I've never had much affection for the KJV, but I'm trying to get used to it.
                          Man's ego is inflated, his laws are outdated, they don't apply no more
                          You can't rely no more to be standing around waiting
                          In the home of the brave, Jefferson turning over in his grave
                          Fools glorifying themselves, trying to manipulate Satan
                          And there's a slow, slow train coming up around the bend.

Comment

Originally posted by thepenitent View Post
                            Since the interlinear gives you the Strong's number, I would match it with the "Complete Word Study Dictionary" by Spiros Zodhiates rather than a Strongs' concordance. TCWSD is a MUCH better dictionary than whats included in the Strongs and has much more complete and informative definitions of the Greek/Hebrew words in question. It is probably the most used reference book I have in my library.
                            hummmm ive never heard of that but im greatly intrested.

thanks for sharing, greatly appericiated

Comment

What would be the point of an AKJV? I've never heard of such a thing.

Even so, what would be the difference between an AKJV and the NKJV? Isnt' that what the NKJV set out to accomplish?

Either way, the best way to learn from God's Word is to get a copy of the Authorized King James Version.

You'll still be extensively learning from it 30 years from now.

Comment

Working...
                              X