Why Do We Assemble For Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do We Assemble For Church

I believe we still assemble for church (on the Sabbath) because it glorifies God to hear His word peached to the assembled believers...
    Plethos--Greek--the whole number, is translated 'assembly' in Acts 23:7.
    Ekklesia--Greek--[assembly] Acts 19:32-39;41; professed [professional] believers; Matt. 16:18, "I will build My Church --the church which is his body.
    Hebrews 10:25 IN OBEDIENCE TO GOD ..... Not forsaking or neglecting to assemble together [ as believer], as is the habit of some people, but admonishing [warning, urging, and encouraging] one another, and all the more faithfully as you see the day approaching.
    We may not be commanded to attend a church but we need to love God and be seeking after Him enough to want to be obedient and be apart of an assembled family of professing believers.
    We do this to encourage each other, to bring comfort to the hurting, to break bread together (sharing of the Last Supper), to hear the Word preached, to teach our young, to baptise the new believes, to give of our first fruits (tithes), to fellowship and practice our horizontal connection concerning the loving of our brethern/neighbor, to encourage, to lay hands on the sick (Matt. 18:20, For where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am in the midst of them.]; and to give praise and worship and all the glory and honor back to HIM.
    perhaps I am the only one who believes in this way...I would like to hear from you...especially from jiggyfly and ravi4u2 since we were discussing this on another thread and had to move. Thanks!
    "MAY THE GOD OF YOUR HOPE SO FILL YOU WITH ALL JOY AND PEACE IN BELIEVING THROUGH THE EXPIERENCE OF YOUR FAITH THAT BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT YOU MAY ABOUND AND BE OVER FLOWING (bulling over) WITH HOPE."
    ROMANS 15:13 Amplified Bible

Originally posted by servantsheart View Post
    I believe we still assemble for church (on the Sabbath) because it glorifies God to hear His word peached to the assembled believers...
    Plethos--Greek--the whole number, is translated 'assembly' in Acts 23:7.
    Ekklesia--Greek--[assembly] Acts 19:32-39;41; professed [professional] believers; Matt. 16:18, "I will build My Church --the church which is his body.
    Hebrews 10:25 IN OBEDIENCE TO GOD ..... Not forsaking or neglecting to assemble together [ as believer], as is the habit of some people, but admonishing [warning, urging, and encouraging] one another, and all the more faithfully as you see the day approaching.
    We may not be commanded to attend a church but we need to love God and be seeking after Him enough to want to be obedient and be apart of an assembled family of professing believers.
    We do this to encourage each other, to bring comfort to the hurting, to break bread together (sharing of the Last Supper), to hear the Word preached, to teach our young, to baptise the new believes, to give of our first fruits (tithes), to fellowship and practice our horizontal connection concerning the loving of our brethern/neighbor, to encourage, to lay hands on the sick (Matt. 18:20, For where two or three are gathered in my name, there I am in the midst of them.]; and to give praise and worship and all the glory and honor back to HIM.
    perhaps I am the only one who believes in this way...I would like to hear from you...especially from jiggyfly and ravi4u2 since we were discussing this on another thread and had to move. Thanks!
    So basically you believe that one must attend a religious liturgical meeting on Sunday in order to obey Hebrews 10:25 do you have any other new testament scriptures to confirm this? Can I safely assume that you would not recognize a bible study at someone's home as a fulfillment of Hebrews 10: 25?

Comment

to jiggyly

Was Paul not speaking to individual churches; local churches; and individuals within those local churches....
      If we are the 'indivisable' body of Chirst, those who's eyes He chose to open and form us into His body, His body of believers by faith in Him. To bring us into His family, bring us under God's wing of protection....then do we not owe Him obedience to Heb. 10:25?
      The Father and the Son never force themselves on us. This is why God does not command us to come to church every weekend. He wants us to come willingly of our own accord to assemble to celebrate His worthyness, His Holiness, His Lordship, His Kingship, Our Kindship with Him because He died for us so we could be brought into His family and be heirs with Him.
      To come in assembly for celebrating the kingdom which is now and looking forward to the kingdom which is to come.
      I am not trying to attact you or your reasons for not wanting to be apart of an organized religious house of worship. Believe me I know it is not perfect, I AM NOT perfect but over all what else affords us everything that comes with organized religion...including the good and the bad.
      Is the bible study an avoidance to make the committement to a church assembly? Because I do a Bible study and can honestly say that it does not compare to my Sunday worship time and hearing the Word preached, taught and learning from it. It does not hold me responsible for tithing, for teaching our youth, for serving my community. A Bible study group cannot burry me when I die. It cannot wed my children. I cannot baptize my children, family and friends.
      Please tell my why you feel like the Bible study group replaces the need to attend 'church'.
      "MAY THE GOD OF YOUR HOPE SO FILL YOU WITH ALL JOY AND PEACE IN BELIEVING THROUGH THE EXPIERENCE OF YOUR FAITH THAT BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT YOU MAY ABOUND AND BE OVER FLOWING (bulling over) WITH HOPE."

Comment

Was Paul not speaking to individual churches; local churches; and individuals within those local churches....
        If we are the 'indivisable' body of Chirst, those who's eyes He chose to open and form us into His body, His body of believers by faith in Him. To bring us into His family, bring us under God's wing of protection....then do we not owe Him obedience to Heb. 10:25?
        So then to answer my question you most definitely believe one must attend a religious service with all the fixtures like a pastor, pulpit, praise and worship leader and seating arranged to keep everyone facing front. Do you have any scripture to support this type of gathering? How do you summarize the needed requisites for a gathering of the ekklesia to be official?

The Father and the Son never force themselves on us. This is why God does not command us to come to church every weekend. He wants us to come willingly of our own accord to assemble to celebrate His worthyness, His Holiness, His Lordship, His Kingship, Our Kindship with Him because He died for us so we could be brought into His family and be heirs with Him.
        To come in assembly for celebrating the kingdom which is now and looking forward to the kingdom which is to come.
        How many people does it take to make an official assembly of the ekklesia ?

Is the bible study an avoidance to make the committement to a church assembly? Because I do a Bible study and can honestly say that it does not compare to my Sunday worship time and hearing the Word preached, taught and learning from it. It does not hold me responsible for tithing, for teaching our youth, for serving my community.
        Again here you show that you model your walk after old covenant practice, tithing is not a new covenant practice in the scriptures and the tithe that is taught today by most is not scriptural in the least.
        A Bible study group cannot burry me when I die. It cannot wed my children. I cannot baptize my children, family and friends.
        I have held burial/funeral proceedings and I have married a couple in my house and any believer who has access to enough water to dunk someone under can baptize.
        Please tell my why you feel like the Bible study group replaces the need to attend 'church'.
        I don't even think it needs to be a bible study, I just used that because I figured that was a word you were familiar with and could relate to. I believe that wherever two or three are gathered in the Lord's name and He is in the midst is an official gathering of the ekklesia and I believe that this can and does happen at the wal-mart, the auto parts and the dairy bar.
        Last edited by jiggyfly; Feb 11th 2008, 02:12 PM.

Comment

If meeting in a public church is nessessary I feel for those poor souls
          in countries where owning a bible is against the law let alone having the audacity to meet in a public church to come together in worship
          I didnt know the link didnt work

Comment

Originally posted by Realist1981 View Post
            If meeting in a public church is nessessary I feel for those poor souls
            in countries where owning a bible is against the law let alone having the audacity to meet in a public church to come together in worship
            Very good point.

Comment

The Olympics are going to be held in Bejing this year and carrying a bible into the country is illegal and the Bible is on a list of other items which are banned

I wonder is "Church" as we know it in our free society is banned too in china? I wonder do Christians in China have the rights we have in America?

Do they have the right to assemble in public? Or do they have to go underground and meet in secret to commune with other Christians?
              I didnt know the link didnt work

Comment

EKKLASIA - the assembly, the called out, one MUST gather with the saints to be saved. You cannot have a relationship with God without a relationship with the brethren.

1Jn.1:7 "If we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses from all sin."

The word CHURCH is not found in the Greek Bible, we use it in our English Bibles for the word 'assembly' but in our minds we say building. Brethren can meet anywhere they want to and worship, there is no number to the size of the fellowship needed for worship. House worship is great, sitting in a circle, interacting with the family of Christ.

I worship in a building because our numbers demand it, our family is large and the building is available. I wish we didn't have pews nor a pulpit but that's okay, those things are not necessary for true worship, for we worship God in Spirit and in Truth.

But it is important to gather together, it is commanded, Heb.10:24,25 we are an assembly of Christians, that's what God wanted us to be. We cannot survive without each other, no man is a Christian to himself. We are all different parts of the one body, how can one part survive without the rest? 1Cor.12:1ff

RJ

Comment

R J Mac
                  Thank you for your post. It blessed me by using (for showing the need) Hebrews 10...
                  Thanks for taking the time to post.

Comment

Realist1981
                    These are the reasons why we should be more than ready to be apart of a "church" that is organized and meets every Sun.... When the antichrist comes our Bibles will be taken away and we will no longer me able to meet in public.
                    We are such a blessed nation to be able to worship in the church of our choice.
                    All Christians (especailly born again ones) need to let their light shine so that other may see and follow.
                    Treasure your Bible and buy up any that you can...if you don't need them you can always give them away.

Comment

Realist1981
                      These are the reasons why we should be more than ready to be apart of a "church" that is organized and meets every Sun.... When the antichrist comes our Bibles will be taken away and we will no longer me able to meet in public.
                      We are such a blessed nation to be able to worship in the church of our choice.
                      All Christians (especailly born again ones) need to let their light shine so that other may see and follow.
                      Treasure your Bible and buy up any that you can...if you don't need them you can always give them away.
                      So there are Christians who are not born- again and yet they have light? Got any scriptures?

Comment

Isn`t this Scripture about attending church?

Hebrews 10:25
                        Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
                        Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

Originally posted by menJesus View Post

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
                          What is the context of scripture about?
                          Here is the intro to Hebrews from the NLT.
                          CONSCIENTIOUS consumers shop for value, the best products for the money. Wise parents desire only the best for their children, nourishing their growing bodies, minds, and spirits. Individuals with integrity seek the best investment of time, talents, and treasures. In every area, to settle for less would be wasteful, foolish, and irresponsible. Yet it is a natural pull to move toward what is convenient and comfortable.
                          Judaism was not second-rate or easy. Divinely designed, it was the best religion, expressing true worship and devotion to God. The commandments, the rituals, and the prophets described God’s promises and revealed the way to forgiveness and salvation. But Christ came, fulfilling the Law and the Prophets, conquering sin, shattering all barriers to God, freely providing eternal life.
                          This message was difficult for Jews to accept. Although they had sought the Messiah for centuries, they were entrenched in thinking and worshiping in traditional forms. Following Jesus seemed to repudiate their marvelous heritage and Scriptures. With caution and questions they listened to the gospel, but many rejected it and sought to eliminate this “heresy.” Those who did accept Jesus as the Messiah often found themselves slipping back into familiar routines, trying to live a hybrid faith.
                          Hebrews is a masterful document written to Jews who were evaluating Jesus or struggling with this new faith. The message of Hebrews is that Jesus is better, Christianity is superior, Christ is supreme and completely sufficient for salvation.
                          Hebrews begins by emphasizing that the old (Judaism) and the new (Christianity) are both religions revealed by God (1:1-3). In the doctrinal section that follows (1:4–10:18), the writer shows how Jesus is superior to angels (1:4–2:18), superior to their leaders (3:1–4:13), and superior to their priests (4:14–7:28). Christianity surpasses Judaism because it has a better covenant (8:1-13), a better sanctuary (9:1-10), and a more sufficient sacrifice for sins (9:11–10:18).
                          Having established the superiority of Christianity, the writer moves on to the practical implications of following Christ. The readers are exhorted to hold on to their new faith, encourage each other, and look forward to Christ’s return (10:19-25). They are warned about the consequences of rejecting Christ’s sacrifice (10:26-31) and reminded of the rewards for faithfulness (10:32-39). Then the author explains how to live by faith, giving illustrations of the faithful men and women in Israel’s history (11:1-40) and giving encouragement and exhortation for daily living (12:1-17). This section ends by comparing the old covenant with the new (12:18-29). The writer concludes with moral exhortations (13:1-17), a request for prayer (13:18-19), and a benediction and greetings (13:20-25).
                          Whatever you are considering as the focus of life, Christ is better. He is the perfect revelation of God, the final and complete sacrifice for sin, the compassionate and understanding mediator, and the only way to eternal life. Read Hebrews and begin to see history and life from God’s perspective. Then give yourself unreservedly and completely to Christ.
                          Note that at this time the Hebrew christians were under heavy persecutions from both the Jews and the Romans. So does it stand to reason that they gathered together, assembled or met in the same manner that today's christian religious system dictates? Did they meet in the Jewish temple, pagan temples or maybe they had their own big temple with a big sign out front announcing the next meeting and the speaker? I would say it is very doubtful, it was probably nothing like what is projected today.

Comment

Oh, sorry. I thought this OP was titled "Why Do We Assemble For Church". I must be confused. Maybe I need more coffee.
                            Last edited by menJesus; Feb 12th 2008, 01:07 PM. Reason: sp
                            Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

Originally posted by menJesus View Post
                              Oh, sorry. I thought this OP was titled "Why Do We Assemble For Church". I must be confused. Maybe I need more coffee.
                              It is, I was just responding to your question.

And seeing that the need to participate in religious liturgy rests on this one scripture I thought it might help to look at it in context.

Comment

Working...
                              X