Sinner's Prayer - Biblical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinner's Prayer - Biblical?

Today, people are led to believe they can pray a sinner's pray anywhere and under any condition to be saved. Many preachers and teachers "suggest" prayers for sinners to pray -- some are several sentences long and some are only one or two sentences. But more and more, these preachers let people "receive Jesus" any way they want. Unfortunately, people who believe they have been saved by praying a sinner's prayer have believed a false doctrine originating from men (Eph. 4:14).

The earliest notion of sinners prayer is less than 500 years old. It wasn't formalized as a theology until around the time of Billy Graham.

No one in the Bible ever prayed for their initial salvation. They did however believe, repent, confess Jesus and be immersed in water for the forgiveness of their sins. The sinners prayer is a an innovation that thwarts God's plan of salvation. First they replaced believers baptism by immersion with infant baptism by sprinkling. Second they later replaced baptism altogether with the "sinners prayer" so that baptism is no longer even part of the plan of salvation.

Jesus' Doctrine

The doctrine of Christ and His church (2 Jn. 1:9) is the same today as it was during the first century (Heb. 13:8).
    • We must be baptized to be saved (Mk. 16:16; Matt. 28:18-19).
    • Baptism is for the remission of our sins (Acts 2:38).
    • Our sins are washed away when we are baptized (Acts 22:16).
    • We are saved when we are baptized (1 Pet. 3:21).
    • The Lord adds us to the church when we are baptized (Acts 2:38-39, 40-41, 47).
    No one is saved by praying a sinner's prayer. To be saved, we must be baptized having believed in God, repented of our sins, and confessed Jesus to be God's Son (Mk. 16:16; Jn. 8:24; Lk. 13:3, 5; Matt. 10:32-33).

For more information, see the following links:

http://www.bible.ca/g-sinners-prayer.htm
    http://www.str.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=6871
    http://www.bright.net/~1wayonly/sinn...nerssnare.html

So is the Sinner's Prayer biblical or not?
    Remember, You are Delightful to God!

The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to
    save. He will take great delight in you, he will
    quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you
    with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17

The thief on the cross said a sinner's prayer. He was saved.

Do I believe that every person that says, "Jesus come into my heart . . . " is truly saved? No, I do not. It's all a matter of the heart.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Luke 23:39-43

One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."
      Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."
      I don't agree that this constitutes a sinner's prayer.

Comment

[QUOTE]
        Originally posted by CoffeeBeaned View Post
        I've debated a lot of Church of Christ folks from this website.

People - you don't want to engage this discussion. They will never see anybody's else's point of view.

Comment

I don't agree that this constitutes a sinner's prayer.
          Why doesn't it? He's crying out from his heart that he believes. That's the same thing as a sinner's prayer. To be quite honest I think folks just get too religious about things and think that there has to be a prescribed ritual to salvation.

"Well you must be baptised, then you must do this and that . . . "

and so on and so forth. There is only one thing a person needs to do in order to be saved and that is believe. Now, once one does believe then they need to proclaim their belief and walk by faith in the things that those who believe do, but there is only one requirement for salvation and that is to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Now, if a person sincerely in their heart cries out to the Lord Jesus to save them and be their Lord, you can be absolutely certain that if they are for real in their heart then Jesus will do the rest.

Let's not get so caught up in religion and the letter . . .

Jesus sees the heart and that is what truly determines whether someone is saved or not.
          "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post

Let's not get so caught up in religion and the letter . . .

Jesus sees the heart and that is what truly determines whether someone is saved or not.
            I'm telling you....don't engage this! They just want to argue.

Comment

That page looks like another misinformation overload, to me.
              Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

Originally posted by Sold Out View Post
                I'm telling you....don't engage this! They just want to argue.
                I'm done here. I just wanted to say that little piece. I have no interest in debating this stuff for days.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

One of my favorite prayers that God answered and sent the man away justified....

"God be merciful to me a sinner."

If that man went away justified, then so can we.
                  Matt 9:13
                  13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                  NASU

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                    The thief on the cross said a sinner's prayer. He was saved.

Do I believe that every person that says, "Jesus come into my heart . . . " is truly saved? No, I do not. It's all a matter of the heart.
                    Where does it say in the Bible that we should ask Jesus into our heart and be saved?

Comment

I am seriously looking for biblical basis for the sinner's prayer and I haven't seen it yet.

Comment

We do not pray to be saved, we confess with our mouths that Jesus is the Son of God. And that we believe in his death and ressurection.

The problem is that God does not hear a sinner's prayer, that is a biblical principle

Whenever we go to Jesus for anything we must go in Spirit and in truth, this includes petitions of prayer. If you are a sinner you aren't going to him in spirit or in truth
                        It takes love to embrace those ones who are weak, and strength to endure the weakness, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                          One of my favorite prayers that God answered and sent the man away justified....

"God be merciful to me a sinner."

If that man went away justified, then so can we.
                          Wonderful clear! Amen!

Comment

I am seriously looking for biblical basis for the sinner's prayer and I haven't seen it yet.

Luke 18:9-14

9 And He also told this parable to certain ones who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: 10 "Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee, and the other a tax-gatherer. 11 "The Pharisee stood and was praying thus to himself, 'God, I thank Thee that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax-gatherer. 12 'I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.' 13 "But the tax-gatherer, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, the sinner!' 14 "I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled, but he who humbles himself shall be exalted."
                            NASB

Not defending "a sinners prayer" but here was a man that was justified when he prayed.
                            Matt 9:13
                            13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                            NASU

Comment

Get me straight here. I am not against prayer. Prayer is one of the most important aspects of our walk with Christ.

But those who believe that you just say this prayer and Bam! you're saved are the ones I have trouble understanding.

It seems clear to me from all the conversions in the book of Acts that we hear the Word, we repent, confess and are baptized. So where does this notion of say a prayer and you're saved come from?

Comment

Working...
                              X