Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you Religious or Spiritual?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are you Religious or Spiritual?

    Give your Thoughts...

  • #2
    I am spirtitual.
    Spirit= from God
    Religion= man made.
    I'm Sara
    "Jesus wept." John 11:35
    Praying for my sister Mieke.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't know why so many folks these days want to bash religion. Religion is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, Scripture says that undefiled and pure religion is a very good thing. Me personally, I am both spiritual and religious. They're both great things.
      "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

      -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm a religiously spiritual person
        (Please don't read too much into that line)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
          I don't know why so many folks these days want to bash religion. Religion is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, Scripture says that undefiled and pure religion is a very good thing. Me personally, I am both spiritual and religious. They're both great things.
          I agree. There is bad religion and bad spiritual as well as Holy, biblical versions of each.
          1Peter 3:15
          (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
            I don't know why so many folks these days want to bash religion. Religion is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, Scripture says that undefiled and pure religion is a very good thing. Me personally, I am both spiritual and religious. They're both great things.
            The term has a very negative connotation now amongst non-believers. It reminds them of vast abuses of power by organized religion. As a rule, I avoid using the term to avoid utterly unnecessary forays into those arguments.

            I also avoid saying I'm spiritual because I've heard so many 20 something airheads talk about how "spiritual" they are when what they REALLY mean is that they've invented their own religion called "convenience" and "moral flexibility".

            Whenever the question comes up, I always tell people "I'm a Christian, but I want you to understand, I'm a Christian because of what I believe about Christ, not because I have vague social connections to a church". Its usually a longer answer than what people expect, but it also sparks a lot of interest (in those not already decidedly hostile to the Word)

            Comment


            • #7
              Spiritual

              Religion says, "Look what I'm doing for Jesus!" (while patting one's self on the back..)

              Christianity says, "Look what Jesus did for me!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cchandrus View Post
                Give your Thoughts...
                \

                I would have to say i am more spiritual.

                Comment


                • #9
                  1re·li·gious
                  Pronunciation: \ri-ˈli-jəs\
                  Function: adjective
                  Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French religius, from Latin religiosus, from religio Date: 13th century
                  1: relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity <a religious person> <religious attitudes>
                  2: of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances <joined a religious order>
                  3 a: scrupulously and conscientiously faithful b: fervent, zealous
                  1spir·i·tu·al
                  Pronunciation: \ˈspir-i-chə-wəl, -i-chəl, -ich-wəl\
                  Function: adjective
                  Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French & Late Latin; Anglo-French espirital, spiritual, from Late Latin spiritualis, from Latin, of breathing, of wind, from spiritus Date: 14th century
                  1: of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit : incorporeal <spiritual needs>
                  2 a: of or relating to sacred matters <spiritual songs> b: ecclesiastical rather than lay or temporal <spiritual authority> <lords spiritual>
                  3: concerned with religious values
                  4: related or joined in spirit <our spiritual home> <his spiritual heir>
                  5 a: of or relating to supernatural beings or phenomena b: of, relating to, or involving spiritualism : spiritualistic
                  I'd call myself both.

                  Christianity is a "religion." It is, by definition, "the service and worship of God" and "commitment or devotion to a religious faith." Christianity is "religious." It is, by definition, "faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate deity." Christianity is "spiritual." It is, by definition, "concerned with religious values" and "consisting of the spirit."
                  To This Day

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sold Out View Post

                    Religion says, "Look what I'm doing for Jesus!" (while patting one's self on the back..)
                    James 1:27
                    Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

                    Again, the Word of God says there is nothing wrong with pure and undefiled religion. So, this notion that religion is a bad thing or something that says "Look what I'm doing for Jesus!" or something that's "man-made" is just not true. There can be religion that is this way, but it certainly doesn't mean that all religion is that way. Obviously, according to the Word of God, our Lord has absolutely no problem whatsoever with pure religion.
                    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

                    -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                      James 1:27
                      Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

                      Again, the Word of God says there is nothing wrong with pure and undefiled religion. So, this notion that religion is a bad thing or something that says "Look what I'm doing for Jesus!" or something that's "man-made" is just not true. There can be religion that is this way, but it certainly doesn't mean that all religion is that way. Obviously, according to the Word of God, our Lord has absolutely no problem whatsoever with pure religion.

                      I was contrasting religion in the sense of 'works' -vs- 'grace'. There are many who claim to have 'religion', but believe their works will save them.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        I'm astounded, bewildered, confused, baffled when people tell me there are 75 million people in America that are filled with the Holy Ghost and we're the most rotten nation on earth. "Leonard Ravenhill"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My goodness... even in the body of Christ we are eat up with political correctness (in a sense). I am not at all ashamed to say I am religious because Christianity is a religion by definition as markedward point out. For us to tell the world we're not and yet we are active Christians... makes one look a bit silly and they simply think you're a liar. Spiritual as well... the answer is both and by simple definition.

                          Folks that think the world cares about your clarification of either of those... it don't matter. If they dislike religion then your explanation ain't going to change their mind. If they are open to religion... then you can get more into explaining what true "religion" is... and yes that term is used in Scripture.

                          James 1:26 If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man's religion is worthless.
                          27 This is pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father, to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

                          What matters is whether your religion is pure and undefiled... but the word religion ought not be just another bad word among Christians because of its definition. It really does make us look silly.


                          Visit our new website
                          ! The Blog might interest some.. and Lord help me!!!... for those that twitter... there as well.

                          A.W. Tozer said,
                          "To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

                          GO.... SERVE YOUR KING!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ProjectPeter View Post
                            My goodness... even in the body of Christ we are eat up with political correctness (in a sense). I am not at all ashamed to say I am religious because Christianity is a religion by definition as markedward point out. For us to tell the world we're not and yet we are active Christians... makes one look a bit silly and they simply think you're a liar. Spiritual as well... the answer is both and by simple definition.

                            Folks that think the world cares about your clarification of either of those... it don't matter. If they dislike religion then your explanation ain't going to change their mind. If they are open to religion... then you can get more into explaining what true "religion" is... and yes that term is used in Scripture.
                            Actually Peter, in my experience, they do care very much. I've noticed a night and day difference in reaction between saying "I'm a religious" or "My religion is Christianity" and actually explaining to them what I believe and why. People hear the "I'm religious" BS every day from people they believe are hypocritical and phony. But take half a second and tell them what you believe and why... now all of a sudden they're interested because they see (1) honesty (2) assertiveness (3) confidence (4) a level of thought put into your belief.

                            I'll take the conversations and opportunities I get from that any day over the eye rolls and smirks and INSTANT doubt when I say "I'm religious".

                            If that makes me "PC", I guess I'll try to live with the shame.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
                              Actually Peter, in my experience, they do care very much. I've noticed a night and day difference in reaction between saying "I'm a religious" or "My religion is Christianity" and actually explaining to them what I believe and why. People hear the "I'm religious" BS every day from people they believe are hypocritical and phony. But take half a second and tell them what you believe and why... now all of a sudden they're interested because they see (1) honesty (2) assertiveness (3) confidence (4) a level of thought put into your belief.

                              I'll take the conversations and opportunities I get from that any day over the eye rolls and smirks and INSTANT doubt when I say "I'm religious".

                              If that makes me "PC", I guess I'll try to live with the shame.
                              However, this topic isn't really about how other folks relate to somebody telling them they are "religious" or "spiritual". The OP simply asked the question are we "religious" or "spiritual", and the biblical answer should be that we are both.
                              "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

                              -- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X