Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion Christians with unbiblical views....

I was reading another topic when someone said this:

Like i said before, The Bible states that a Woman should not hold a place over a man in Church.
    My view is NOT Biblical. What can i say.
    I also do not have a problem with gay marriage, definitely not biblical.
    My faith is in Jesus & his commandment to love one another. I do not think God cares about all these trivial rules.
    This is curious to me. If you are a believer, how can you cling to a belief that you know is unbiblical? How can a Christian hold such a low view of Scripture?

There comes a time when people run to hear what their itching ears want to hear.
    This IGNORE button is by far one of the most useful tools I've used to keep my peace while navigating through some of the madness.

Comment

As Christians, we come from many different backgrounds and beliefs. There will be some "Christians" that really aren't then there are some that appear not to be Christians but are; they just have a LOT of growing to do.

One of the failings in our churches today (generally speaking) is the lack of discipleship/mentorship. Are we to assume that new Christians will understand how to study His word, or even how to pray, especially those who have grown up unchurched?

Sadly, we leave people to flounder and then wonder why they don't act/think and look like a Christian. We all have a responsibility to bring people along in the faith even if it is to just pray for them. Staying neutral and saying to ourselves, that's not my problem is not pleasing to God. He wants us to be involved and to do His will in helping people to grow.
      Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.
      Psalm 62:5
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by *Hope* View Post
        How can a Christian hold such a low view of Scripture?
        The simple answer is: arrogance and pride.

It's the same kind of reasoning as "the Bible is outdated". It runs under the assumption that the Bible, even if it is true, is irrelevant to modern society simply because society has changed. Hence, if society, even a "Christian" one, as a whole changes its understanding of morality and God, then anything to disagree with society (the Bible) "must" be outdated. The issue here is the arrogance and pride of society, that it is somehow capable of being smarter, wiser, and more relevant than God.

Now just narrow that mode of thinking down to the individual, and you have people like the one you quoted in the OP.
        To This Day

Comment

I think Christians come in many different stages of growth. Perhaps the one quoted in the original post is still young in the Lord. He will convict His children in the areas they need in His time and at His pace.

V
          I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.
          - Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

This is curious to me. If you are a believer, how can you cling to a belief that you know is unbiblical? How can a Christian hold such a low view of Scripture?
            Carnality and pride.

I Timothy 6:

3If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

4He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

5Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

Comment

People tend to believe whatever they like and shut their mind off to correction. While this unfortunate example is a pretty easy one to confront, I worry endlessly that I do the same thing, just with different doctrines.

Comment

If you are a believer, how can you cling to a belief that you know is unbiblical? How can a Christian hold such a low view of Scripture?
                Having a high view of scripture is not a necessary qualification to become a Christian, but it should be a result or fruit of the true believer. I say it "should" be, but there are many Christians who have never even read the Bible, they are still babes in Christ and need to grow and mature. Perhaps in time they will grow and know the will of God according to scripture, and submit to it and obey it, perhaps they never will? God gives every Christian the same command to "work out your own salvation" Philippians 2:12.

Christians who hold a low view of scripture will miss out on great blessings and bring trouble upon themselves.
                - Matt -
                Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing
                of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

Comment

i am guilty of not having biblical views on everything at every single moment in my (christian) life as well. aren't we all? have we all always been aligned with the bible on the choices we make and words we say and reactions we have? i think not. this person you quoted is just being honest about his/her feelings.
                  when we live in the world or are ever out of the presence of christ, we are accustomed to the things of this world. it is an everyday struggle for us all to fight those habits and patterns in my opinion.
                  Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
                  Proverbs 3:5

My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you. When your judgements come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness.
                  Isaiah 26:9

Comment

As Hank Hanegraff, the Bible Answer Man, says, "there are issues that are essential and there are secondary issues." While Hank is not a charismatic and constantly attacks a lot of my beliefs, I agree with him on this issue. The life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ is a primary issue. The issue of whether a woman can lead a church is a secondary issue to me. Now that makes me none the less a Christian than someone who does believe this. For example, speaking in tongues - is it right or wrong? Can a person who speaks in tongues fellowship with one who doesn't believe in the gift? Absolutely - this is a secondary issue.

What is amazing to me is how Christians can get all bent out of shape about something like a woman preaching. If the Spirit of the Lord moves her to establish a fellowship, she should do it! How in a day such as this can Christians yik yak about a woman's authority, men being divorced and not being ordained, this, that, look over here, over there. Amazing to me.

I see members on this board talking to others as if their denomination were the only one, the true church, and there are many others who have different "secondary" beliefs that are diametrically opposed to theirs and they act as if they have a corner on the Word. I have news for 'em - they will be sharing a spot with me on the streets of glory....this old piano playin' (in church nonetheless), multiple divorced, cigar smokin' PREACHER will be walking the same streets of glory as the rest of the Christian folk here.

I'm not carnal, not young in the Lord, not ignorant, don't have itching ears, and don't pick and choose scripture. I just follow my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I confess that HE is Lord - I believe in his virgin birth, sinless life, crucifixion for my sins, and resurrection from the dead!!!

I had to let off a little steam because of the nitpicking I read here. It is amazing to me. I'm gonna have to talk to the associate pastor about this getting me riled up and I have no idea what SHE is gonna say!!!

I love the Lord!!!!!

OkieRob
                    Last edited by OkieRob; Jun 1st 2009, 04:49 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

My faith is in Jesus & his commandment to love one another. I do not think God cares about all these trivial rules.
                      Is that love, or apathy? You see a friend about to walk off a cliff, what do you do? The Bible is love, yet the unbiblical viewpoint above is supposedly backed by so called "love". The contradicts the basic tenants of our faith in Christ. The individual is just deceived. If the person is a true child of God, then God will deal with it, but make the truth known to the person since you love the person.
                      While you are on this site, don't debate to win and prove yourself right, but discuss to learn and find truth, and to encourage through a humble spirit. God Bless

Ephesians 4:1-3
                      As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

Comment

"Like i said before, The Bible states that a Woman should not hold a place over a man in Church.
                        My faith is in Jesus & his commandment to love one another. I do not think God cares about all these trivial rules."

The give away is in his/her last sentence, "I do not think God cares about all these trivial rules."

Since when do we make ourselves judge over what God considers trivial and what God considers important? My hunch is not only does this person have a low view of Scripture but also a low view of sin.
                        ♪ Each day may Christ become clearer, His Cross dearer, Our Hope nearer. ♫

Comment

I don't hold any beliefs that I know are unbiblical. But I hold a good many that various other people think are unbiblical. I think they're mistaken.
                          Man's ego is inflated, his laws are outdated, they don't apply no more
                          You can't rely no more to be standing around waiting
                          In the home of the brave, Jefferson turning over in his grave
                          Fools glorifying themselves, trying to manipulate Satan
                          And there's a slow, slow train coming up around the bend.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieRob View Post
                            As Hank Hanegraff, the Bible Answer Man, says, "there are issues that are essential and there are secondary issues." While Hank is not a charismatic and constantly attacks a lot of my beliefs, I agree with him on this issue. The life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ is a primary issue. The issue of whether a woman can lead a church is a secondary issue to me. Now that makes me none the less a Christian than someone who does believe this. For example, speaking in tongues - is it right or wrong? Can a person who speaks in tongues fellowship with one who doesn't believe in the gift? Absolutely - this is a secondary issue.

What is amazing to me is how Christians can get all bent out of shape about something like a woman preaching. If the Spirit of the Lord moves her to establish a fellowship, she should do it! How in a day such as this can Christians yik yak about a woman's authority, men being divorced and not being ordained, this, that, look over here, over there. Amazing to me.

I see members on this board talking to others as if their denomination were the only one, the true church, and there are many others who have different "secondary" beliefs that are diametrically opposed to theirs and they act as if they have a corner on the Word. I have news for 'em - they will be sharing a spot with me on the streets of glory....this old piano playin' (in church nonetheless), multiple divorced, cigar smokin' PREACHER will be walking the same streets of glory as the rest of the Christian folk here.

I'm not carnal, not young in the Lord, not ignorant, don't have itching ears, and don't pick and choose scripture. I just follow my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I confess that HE is Lord - I believe in his virgin birth, sinless life, crucifixion for my sins, and resurrection from the dead!!!

I had to let off a little steam because of the nitpicking I read here. It is amazing to me. I'm gonna have to talk to the associate pastor about this getting me riled up and I have no idea what SHE is gonna say!!!

I love the Lord!!!!!

OkieRob
                            QFT! Amen to a great post!

Comment

Like i said before, The Bible states that a Woman should not hold a place over a man in Church.
                              IMO this person erred in conceding the scripture on the question of women in authority in the church. I believe the case for it is very scripturally defensible.

Comment

Working...
                              X