for thou
    only art holy:

Originally posted by cchandrus View Post
    Your thoughts please.

My Church has

REV 15:4
    for thou
    only art holy:

Yes the chruch i attend has many pictures of jesus hanging around.

Comment

What about our thoughts? Like how would I put my thoughts?

But yeah my church does have 2 pictures I think? Or from what I have seen. One of Jesus while you walk into the side enterance of my church and another room used for BIBLE study has a picture of JESUS but I forget what He is doing in that picture.
      9For zeal for Your house has consumed me,
      And the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me.
      Psalm 69:9

4 You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
      James 4:4

19 You believe that God is one You do well; the demons also believe, and shudder
      James 2:19

"5 Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." Genesis 6:5

Comment

Your thoughts please.

My Church has

for thou
        only art holy:

I've seen maybe one...in a children's sunday school room. That's all I can recall.

Comment

i don't think my church has any hanging now that i stop and think. mostly crosses here and there.

Comment

My church does not, and has declined gifts of artwork that depict Jesus. It's consistent with early Jewish Christian practice regarding such depictions as posing a danger of idolatry. It is an element of Reformation Protestant distinctiveness that differentiated it from Roman Catholicism and settled Eastern Orthodox practice, where iconography in the use of statues, crucifixes, and rich illustrations of the Bible text proved as much a danger and avenue for error as it was helpful to visualizations of the Gospel. Most evangelical Protestants (Lutherans, Presbyterians, and later the Baptists, Methodists, etc...) did not initially support iconography, and for those now accepting their use, it has only been since the close of the 19th century that their usage has gained favour.

Many Protestants from this tradition have now qualified some usage, especially with technical media and communication advances providing such a plethora of diverse imagry like the Jesus film, the Pasion of the Christ, and full-color cartoons and illustrations in Children's literature and curriculum; but there is still a strong aversion toward having statues of Jesus or artwork attempting to realistically depict Him permanently affixed to places we gather to worship Him - especially since there is no realistic record provided of exactly how Jesus looks, and the Biblical proscriptions concerning the dangers of image use have historically proven to be quite valid and justly cautioned against.

Comment

Your thoughts please.

My Church has

for thou
              only art holy:

My Church has icons portraying Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and the apostles. We also have crucifixes in most of the rooms. We are a Charismatic Episcopal Church by the way. These are simply reminders of those who came before us. We do not pray to them. I personally like seeing them as they remind me of who I serve and who has served Him well. It also gives a quite reverance when you enter the sanctuary, especially since we have a cd player playing "chant" by the franciscan monks constantly. Praying and focusing on the Lord is so great there.

Comment

Okay, who took the picture and where are the negatives of Christ? Hmmm no original pictures eh??
                So what men are hanging on the walls is a 14th century artists imagination? What would Christ look like?

Long blond hair, blue eyes, tall good looking? Doesn't sound like Christ but Satan.
                2Cor.11:14 - No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

Isa.53:2 - He has no stately form or majesty, that we should look upon Him.
                Nor appearance that we should be attracted to Him.

ICor.11:14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him?

Rev.9:2,3 He opened the bottomless pit...then out of the smoke came locusts
                Rev.9:7,8 The appearance of the locusts... they had hair like the hair or women...

If you by scripture Jesus was not a handsome man to be attracted.
                Jesus did not have long hair but it would have been cut short.
                If you go by the looks of historical Jews of the day, he may have been shorter than what many portray Him to be, with olive skin and black hair.

So what people hang on the walls, is no image of our Lord. Don't these pictures violate the 2nd commandment, Thou shall have no images...?

RJ

Comment

Originally posted by RJ Mac View Post
                  Okay, who took the picture and where are the negatives of Christ? Hmmm no original pictures eh??
                  So what men are hanging on the walls is a 14th century artists imagination? What would Christ look like?

Long blond hair, blue eyes, tall good looking? Doesn't sound like Christ but Satan.
                  2Cor.11:14 - No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

Isa.53:2 - He has no stately form or majesty, that we should look upon Him.
                  Nor appearance that we should be attracted to Him.

ICor.11:14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him?

Rev.9:2,3 He opened the bottomless pit...then out of the smoke came locusts
                  Rev.9:7,8 The appearance of the locusts... they had hair like the hair or women...

If you by scripture Jesus was not a handsome man to be attracted.
                  Jesus did not have long hair but it would have been cut short.
                  If you go by the looks of historical Jews of the day, he may have been shorter than what many portray Him to be, with olive skin and black hair.

So what people hang on the walls, is no image of our Lord. Don't these pictures violate the 2nd commandment, Thou shall have no images...?

RJ

...except when he had a vow as a Nazarite,
                  Nu 6:1-6; Jud 13:6; Jud 16:17; 1Sa 1:11. (These are initiated by "Thus Saith The Lord" commands, which overrules Paul, but see Acts 18:8, which shows the Paul apparently took the vow himself and it was time for a haircut). This was known as the Nazarite Vow (Consecrated to God). Also, occasionally, for affectation or singularity, the hair was suffered to grow, as was the case with Absalom, (2Sa 14:26).

The Nazarite, wore long hair lawfully, as being part of a vow sanctioned by God (#Nu 6:5).

And of course, there was Samson's, whose hair was his strength - until he got it cut off.
                  "A text without context is a pretext."

Comment

Clifton I'll agree that Paul was keeping a vow in Ac.18:18; he cut his hair but I don't see how one could say Paul took a Nazirite vow. As for Jesus, yes He was a Nazarene because He lived in Nazareth. Mt.2:23; 4:13; 21:11; 26:71; Jn.1:45,46; Jesus the Nazarene Ac.2:22; 3:6; 22:8;

You can't prove He was on a Nazirite vow. It definitely would have been mentioned. The reason for Him being painted with long hair is I believe is because that was the style in the 14th and 15th century when people started painting the Messiah.

RJ

Comment

Numbers 6 speaks of the requirements for one who takes the Nazarite vow - and one of its requirements is that the one under the vow can come near to no dead body. Which makes it pretty hard to raise the dead...
                      Robin

Truth is so obscure in these times and falsehood so established that, unless one loves the truth, he cannot know it. - Blaise Pascal
                      And Jesus saith unto him [Thomas], I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. - John 14:6
                      Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford
                      Those who compromise with Christ’s enemies may be reckoned with them. - C.H. Spurgeon

Comment

And that's what Satan looks like huh?
                        1Peter 3:15
                        (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

Your thoughts please.

My Church has

for thou only art holy:
                          Deuteronomy 4:16 "Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female."

Deuteronomy 4:23 "Take keed unto yourselves, lest ye forget the covenant of the Lord your God, which he made with you, and make you a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, which the Lord thy God hath forbidden thee."

John 4:24 "God is a Spirit, and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."

Those pictures hung in worship centers are worshiped. Those pictures are not God, they are the imaginations of men.

Comment

Naphal - sin dresses itself to look warm and inviting. The one explanation for Satan's fall was he was so taken with himself. It's like child molesters, they always seem to be the ones you suspect the least.

RJ

Comment

Clifton I'll agree that Paul was keeping a vow in Ac.18:18; he cut his hair but I don't see how one could say Paul took a Nazirite vow. As for Jesus, yes He was a Nazarene because He lived in Nazareth. Mt.2:23; 4:13; 21:11; 26:71; Jn.1:45,46; Jesus the Nazarene Ac.2:22; 3:6; 22:8;

You can't prove He was on a Nazirite vow. It definitely would have been mentioned. The reason for Him being painted with long hair is I believe is because that was the style in the 14th and 15th century when people started painting the Messiah.

RJ

Well, my point was addressing that reference 1 Corinthians 11:14, and I pointed out other scriptures were the Nazarite Vow was not involved, where occasionally for affectation or singularity, the hair was suffered to grow. While it is "natural" for men to bear their hear short, and woman long, it is not a "sin" for them to do "otherwise".

As for 1 Corinthians 11, that is not the first time Paul ramble with a close-out of "never mind what I said..." - in verse 16 it is pointed out that they had no such custom nor the assemblies of God. Obviously so, since that would go against readings in the scriptures (bear in mind that what where called "Scriptures" in the NT refers to The Hebrew Scriptures).

Christ was quite respective of the Torah - As the Son Of God, I can't grasp the concept that He would not have taken a vows in being "consecrated unto God", or in the least, for singularity. I'll research the ancient historical texts and see what I come up with the refresh my memory.

As for the Shroud Of Turin, well, there are arguments "for" and "against" that as being an "image" of Christ.

Later.
                              "A text without context is a pretext."

Comment

Working...
                              X