X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking

What does the bible say about drinking.

-Brian

As far as I know, it warns against drunkeness as a sin, but I don't believe that drinking itself is a sin.
    ...be excellent to each other...

Comment

Drinking alcohol is a problem area for me. I got drunk a handful of times and decided alcohol isn't worth it.
      The bible teaches that alcohol is fine, as long as you don't get drunk.
      The value of this teaching for me is obediance to God's greater Wisdom through scripture. I so much want to tell people never to drink a drop of alcohol ever again. But i will teach always to obey scripture and that it is never wrong.
      Another problem area is i'm vegetarian. But i will preach that eating meat and fish is fine.
      Perhaps it is the hardest teachings for each of us to obey, that strengthen our personal faith the most?
      1 Corinthians 1:12-13 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos: and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptised in the name of Paul?

KJV

May the power of the Spirit of our God unite us. SofTy.

Comment

Well, I only smoke a little bit of crack, not enough to get addicted to it.
        Because once it gets addicting, then it's wrong.

Sounds kind of stupid, doesn't it?
        Bu it's the equivalent of what a lot of you will eventually say. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post

So, are you saying it's not okay to drink a few drinks? Or a glass or two of wine before bed?
          Why are you looking for love
          Why are you still searching as if I'm not enough
          To where will you go child
          Tell me where will you run
          To where will you run

Comment

I personally think you're going too far with that.

When I was young and stupid, I drank a lot. I did a lot of drugs. I don't conduct myself in that manner anymore. Now, this doesn't mean that I don't occasionally enjoy a good Sam Adams specialty brew, or a good Shiraz...it means that I don't over indulge. I keep my wits about me and don't conduct in harmful behavior.

As I see it, it's a big difference.
            ...be excellent to each other...

Comment

Originally posted by aliveinchrist View Post
              So, are you saying it's not okay to drink a few drinks? Or a glass or two of wine before bed?
              I'm say that hey, as long as you don't go overboard!
              Anything's fine, as long as it isn't explicitly forbidden by one or more Biblical propositions.

The Bible doesn't say anything about crack. And as for respecting our bodies, well, years of drinking screws your over as does using crack. It's a personal conviction thing, personal revelation.

Why again, should we play with fire?
              You'll have to excuse the history of alcoholism in my family.

You know, as long as I keep a pretty clear head, what's the harm!
              Now, I decided to use crack just to go overboard. I could have very easily used weed as the example, but I'm not that sinister.

Comment

I agree with what most people say on here. Proverbs speaks against drunkeness, not against drinking. Your intentions and how far you take it is what is wrong with it.

Comment

I feel an occasional drink is fine as long as it doesn't cause anyone to stumble. As was said, the Bible warns against drunkeness but I haven't read anything that says we shouldn't drink alcohol.
                  The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. Psalm 23

Comment

I'm say that hey, as long as you don't go overboard!
                    Anything's fine, as long as it isn't explicitly forbidden by one or more Biblical propositions.

The Bible doesn't say anything about crack. And as for respecting our bodies, well, years of drinking screws your over as does using crack. It's a personal conviction thing, personal revelation.

Why again, should we play with fire?
                    You'll have to excuse the history of alcoholism in my family.

You know, as long as I keep a pretty clear head, what's the harm!
                    Now, I decided to use crack just to go overboard. I could have very easily used weed as the example, but I'm not that sinister.
                    I understand why you don't like alcohol.

But, if I recall, the Bible did say a glass of wine is good for the stomach. Or something along those lines. For the life of me, i can't find it. i just looked............
                    Why are you looking for love
                    Why are you still searching as if I'm not enough
                    To where will you go child
                    Tell me where will you run
                    To where will you run

Comment

Originally posted by aliveinchrist View Post
                      I understand why you don't like alcohol.

But, if I recall, the Bible did say a glass of wine is good for the stomach. Or something along those lines. For the life of me, i can't find it. i just looked............
                      Luke drank wine because of a stomach condition.

Comment

1 Timothy 5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

As modern medical knows, drinking a little alcohol is actually healthy. It is over use that then becomes unhealthy. It is ridiculous to compare wine to crack.
                        1Peter 3:15
                        (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

Originally posted by Naphal View Post
                          1 Timothy 5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

As modern medical knows, drinking a little alcohol is actually healthy. It is over use that then becomes unhealthy. It is ridiculous to compare wine to crack.
                          I believe I said I was being ridiculous and that people would find the comparison ridiculous.

Comment

I see no problem with one choosing not to drink. I haven't found any Scripture to support it is bad though.
                            The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. Psalm 23

Comment

As it's been said already you'll find plenty of scripture in the Bible stating that drunkenness is a sin while drinking alcohol is not. I enjoy a beer or two every once in a while or even a mixed drink.

It's how you're convicted IMO, cause many Christians are convicted that a single sip of alcohol is a sin for them while others are not convicted this way. Since scripture doesn't say consuming alcohol is a sin but that drunkenness is then it's simple for me, I'll enjoy a beer or two.
                              Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Working...
                              X