Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't know if this has been asked before but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know if this has been asked before but...

I have two questions about suicide:
    1.If you take your own life and are a christian when you die will your spirit still go to heaven?
    2.If you take your own life and are a christian are you playing God?

Originally posted by Zorgblar View Post
    I have two questions about suicide:
    1.If you take your own life and are a christian when you die will your spirit still go to heaven?
    Keep in mind every spirit goes back to God (in heaven) when their body dies. What you mean by "go to heaven" really is "receive eternal life". Suicide isn't mentioned as being unforgiveable in the bible nor does the bible limit repentance to human life spans so while most will say it isn't possible to repent of this I believe it can be repented of after death IF they care to.

2.If you take your own life and are a christian are you playing God?

No, because killing people isn't God's job. You would be playing God if you judged a suicide victim to hell
    1Peter 3:15
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

Zorgblar, what we do now in obedience to Christ determines our eternity. Once we die, there is no second chance. We rest in Christ until we are raised up for judgement. We die, then we are judged.
      Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
      Not second or third, but first.
      Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
      when He is the source of all hope,
      when His love is received and freely given,
      holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
      will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post
        Once we die, there is no second chance.
        Any scriptures that prove this?
        (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

Originally posted by Naphal View Post
          I think the book of hebrews 9:27 hints that that might be the case.But im not sure.

Comment

I think the book of hebrews 9:27 hints that that might be the case.But im not sure.

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

This only says men will die once and then after death they are judged but6 we all know we aren't judged immediately after death but all at once on judgement day. This is a brief re-cap of some of the things but isn't detailed. It also does not say repentance cannot be done after death.

Comment

Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

This only says men will die once and then after death they are judged but6 we all know we aren't judged immediately after death but all at once on judgement day. This is a brief re-cap of some of the things but isn't detailed. It also does not say repentance cannot be done after death.
              Ok i see your point.I hadn't thought of it that way.

Comment

Ok i see your point.I hadn't thought of it that way.
                Ppl tend to use that verse as if it says we are judged immediately after we die. If that was true, then yes we prolly couldn't repent after we die but the truth is people have died for a long time and are still waiting to be judged on that one day. Now, can they repent or does God refuse to allow them or hear them?

Comment

Luke 16:19-26
                  19 “There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day. 20 But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate, 21 desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23
                  And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
                  24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. 26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’

Why didn't the rich man simply repent instead of begging for a drop of water? Unless you're talking about some form of Universalism which is only allowed in the 'World Religions' forum.

God Bless!
                  II Timothy 2:15
                  Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
                  Read My Testimony sigpic Visit Our Website

Comment

This thread brings up another interesting question. If a Christian commits suicide while in the grips of mental illness, will he or she still be held accountable?

Comment

Ppl tend to use that verse as if it says we are judged immediately after we die. If that was true, then yes we prolly couldn't repent after we die but the truth is people have died for a long time and are still waiting to be judged on that one day. Now, can they repent or does God refuse to allow them or hear them?
                      Isn't that a bit unfair? What about those who died at the start of human history, compared with those who will die on the last great and terrible day of the Lord? Why is Cain given thousands of years to repent... but Joe Bloggs gets a minute and a half?

I agree with the inference made by the previous poster about Lazarus and the rich man too. Good catch!
                      Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Originally posted by Gard View Post
                        This thread brings up another interesting question. If a Christian commits suicide while in the grips of mental illness, will he or she still be held accountable?
                        I don't know.That's a good question!I guess only God knows the real answer though.

Comment

I don't know.That's a good question!I guess only God knows the real answer though.
                          God is just an merciful and knows the heart. We cannot pile up "what ifs" and box God into a scenario from our point of view.

The parable of Lazarus and the Rich man from Luke 16 is a good example of dying once, and then judgement. Zorgblar, you found the scripture to support the thought. If scripture holds up - can it be false?

Napal, what scripture do you have to support your claim of repentance after death? Does not Hebrews 9:27 show that we die and then we are judged? Do not read into scripture.
                          Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
                          Not second or third, but first.
                          Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
                          when He is the source of all hope,
                          when His love is received and freely given,
                          holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
                          will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post

The parable of Lazarus and the Rich man from Luke 16 is a good example of dying once, and then judgement. Zorgblar, you found the scripture to support the thought. If scripture holds up - can it be false?
                            I guess not if scripture looks like it supports the idea in two different parts of the bible.

Comment

Originally posted by Gard View Post
                              I think it would go back to living a lifestyle of sin versus slipping in sin. Peter received from God that Yeshua is Messiah, Son of the Living God. Then just a short time later is rebuked by Him for being used by satan. It is possible, I believe, to slip into the flesh and I don't believe you'd lose true salvation for a momentary lapse such as the mental illness you mention. But I agree with Zorgblar that this is a difficult thing to consider and that God only knows how to be perfectly just in such difficult matters. The bottom line is that suicide is not a righteous act or solution and should be completely discouraged. If it has already happened, however, to a loved one or something, you just have to put it in God's hand and trust whatever judgment He may bring.

God Bless!
                              II Timothy 2:15
                              Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
                              Read My Testimony sigpic Visit Our Website

Comment

Working...
                              X