Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIC Bible Study Mark Week 18

Mark 14:22-31

And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them and said, "Take, eat; this is My body."

23 Then He took the cup, and when He had given thanks He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. 24 And He said to them, "This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many. 25 Assuredly, I say to you, I will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God."

26 And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

27 Then Jesus said to them, "All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written:

'I will strike the Shepherd,
    And the sheep will be scattered.'

28 "But after I have been raised, I will go before you to Galilee."

29 Peter said to Him, "Even if all are made to stumble, yet I will not be."

30 Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you that today, even this night, before the rooster crows twice, you will deny Me three times."

31 But he spoke more vehemently, "If I have to die with You, I will not deny You!"

And they all said likewise.
    NKJV
    ~~ Question numbers below correspond to verse numbers above ~~

22-25.
    a. To set the scene, describe where Jesus and the 12 were, and when this was happening (See Mark 14:12-15).
    b. What were they doing?
    c. Record Jesusí actions and statements.
    d. What prediction does Jesus make?
    e. Compare verse 25 with Matthew 26:29. In what way can this be understood as a promise?

26. What did they do after this?

a. Note Jesusí predictions about Himself and His disciples.
    b. What does Jesus point to, which both confirms and forms the basis for His prediction? (See also Zech 13:7)

28. What does Jesus further predict? How should this have given them encouragement and comfort?

29. What does Peter assert about Himself?

30. What specific prediction does Jesus make about Peter?

a. Note Peterís response to Jesus, and the response of all the others.

What does this tell us about Peterís and the other disciplesí understanding/acceptance of what Jesus was really saying?
    Love In Christ,
    Tanya

Jesus and the disciples were sitting eating, in the upstairs room of the man whose servant was carrying the water jug.

An interesting point my study notes make which I overlooked last time around was that it was very unusual to see a man with a water jug - back in the day this was a woman's work.

Jesus blessed the bread and broke it. He gave it to the disciples and told them to eat it, saying it was his body. Then he blessed the cup, and they all drank from it. Jesus told them that it was his blood, the blood of the new covenant, for the forgiveness of sins.

Jesus then said he would not drink the wine again until he drank it in God's kingdom. Matthew's gospel says much the same thing, but crucially adds "with you" (emphasis mine)

Mat 26:29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom."
    This can be seen as a promise because Jesus is clearly saying he will drink the wine with us, his people, in God's kingdom. The fact that he mentioned "until that day" means that such a day will come.

After they had eaten they sang a hymn and went to the Mount of Olives. The English sounds a bit mundane, but the Greek suggests something more dynamic - they had sung praise to God (which presumably could mean one or many songs)

Jesus warned them that they would all stumble because of him. Zechariah had prophesied "Strike the Shepherd, And the sheep will be scattered". Jesus (the shepherd) was about to be struck and the sheep (his followers, the disciples) would scatter. He went on to say that he would be raised and go to Galilee ahead of them.

Peter refused to accept this, and insisted that even if all the others stumbled he would not. Jesus replied that before the cock crowed Peter would deny Jesus three times. Peter refused to accept it, insisting that he would die with Jesus before denying him. The others agreed with Peter, they all refused to accept that they would deny Jesus.

The disciples unwillingness to accept what Jesus was telling them indicates that they really didn't understand the significance of what was about to happen. Everything Jesus had said to date had come to pass but they had always refused to accept that they would, that they could, abandon him.

But so much of what Jesus did was in fulfilment of prophecy. Isaiah prophesied that Jesus would be abandoned:

Isa 53:3 He is despised and rejected by men, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.
    He was about to be rejected by men, the men who had followed him for so long. Had they not abandoned him (being scattered like sheep) then the prophecies of Zechariah and Isaiah would not be fulfilled.
    24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
    I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
    I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
    1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Comment

22-25. Today's passage is set on the evening of the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Jesus and the twelve are eating the Passover meal together.

c. As they were eating Jesus took some bread and, after blessing it, distributed it to each of them saying, 'Take it; this is my body.'

Jesus then took the cup, gave thanks, and again gave it to each in turn to drink from. He said, 'This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.'

Reading these verses helps me to see what a beautiful and special act Communion actually is. I remember the first time I took Communion after becoming a Christian, I was filled with an overwhelming feeling of thankfulness. 'Thank You' prayers kept flowing in my thoughts as though the flood gates had been opened!

d. He tells them, 'I tell you the truth, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it anew in the kingdom of God.'

e. Matthew 26:29 - Jesus is reassuring the disciples that they will all be together again in the kingdom of God.

26. After singing a hymn, the group goes to the Mount of Olives.

27. a. Jesus predicts that each of the disciples will 'run away and leave me' (GNB). He affirms this with a quote from Scripture, 'I will strike the Shepherd and the sheep will be scattered.'

28. Jesus further predicts His resurrection saying, 'But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.'

29. Peter is adamant that although the others may abandon Jesus, he will not.

30. Jesus tells Peter (even though Peter doesn't want to hear it) that on that very night, before the rooster crows twice, that he WILL deny Him three times.

31. Peter responds (as do the other disciples) that even if he has to die with Jesus, he will NEVER disown Him.

Thinking about this last question, I'm still not sure that Peter and the other disciples REALLY understand what is about to happen to Jesus. Or that they understand what a struggle being faithful to the Lord is going to be.

Comment

Mark 14:22-31

22-25. Jesus and the 12 are in that large upper room that was furnished and prepared. They are eating the Passover. Jesus took the bread, blessed it and broke it. He gave it to them and said,' Take, eat; this is My body.' He then took the cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them. They all drank from it. Jesus said,' This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many.' He tells them that He will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when He will drink it new in the kingdom of God.

This is a promise to them that they will see Him again and they will be with Him in the Kingdom of our Father. What an awesome promise from our Lord to His disciples, not only will the wine be new, but everything will be new, even our bodies. This gives them and us great hope in the Lord that one day we will be made new and we will live forever with our Lord in His kingdom.

26. They sang a hymn( I wish I new what song they sang) Then they went out to the Mount of Olives.

27. Jesus says that they will all be made to stumble, that night because of Him. He points to what is written in Zech 13:7, which confirms what He is saying to them.

28. Jesus says that after He is raised. This should give them comfort and encouragement to know that He will be raised from the dead. He also tells them that He will go before them to Galilee, so not only will He be raised even though He dies, but He will be here on earth with them, going before them to Galilee.

29. Peter tells Jesus that he will not be made to stumble.

30. Jesus responds by telling Peter that, that night, before the rooster crows twice, he will deny Him three times.

31. Peter says," If I have to die with You, I will not deny You." The others responded likewise.

The disciples did not accept what Jesus told them about what they were going to do that night. He was not testing them. He was telling them what they were going to do. Of coarse, being with Jesus all this time, they're reaction to what He said was natural, but no matter how much they said it would not be so, what Jesus said was and is always true.

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post

An interesting point my study notes make which I overlooked last time around was that it was very unusual to see a man with a water jug - back in the day this was a woman's work.
          That is an interesting point brother, I wonder why it was a man? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Phroggie View Post

Reading these verses helps me to see what a beautiful and special act Communion actually is. I remember the first time I took Communion after becoming a Christian, I was filled with an overwhelming feeling of thankfulness. 'Thank You' prayers kept flowing in my thoughts as though the flood gates had been opened!
            This made me cry Phrog. I too was overwelmed the first time I took Communion as a BELIEVER, I took it before as a non-believer(forgive me Lord) and it was just a religious act that I would do because I thought it was right, but I didn't understand what I was really doing, until I became a believer and this passage reminds me how wonderful and awesome it is to know Him personally and BELONG to Him! Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by kingsdaughter View Post
              That is an interesting point brother, I wonder why it was a man? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
              I'd guess because the sign needed to be something unusual. Had the disciples been looking for a woman carrying a water jug there would have been scope for them to follow the wrong one. A man carrying a water jug was something they would notice immediately.
              24 August 2013 - I've decided to take a break from a number of internet forums, including this one, for my own reasons.
              I expect to be back at some time in the future, although at present don't know when that will be.
              I've been here just a few days shy of six years, and those six years have been greatly blessed.

---

1Jn 4:1 NKJV Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
              1Th 5:21-22 NKJV Test all things; hold fast what is good. (22) Abstain from every form of evil.

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post
                I'd guess because the sign needed to be something unusual. Had the disciples been looking for a woman carrying a water jug there would have been scope for them to follow the wrong one. A man carrying a water jug was something they would notice immediately.
                That makes sense, thanks Tango!

Comment

Originally posted by kingsdaughter View Post
                  This made me cry Phrog. I too was overwelmed the first time I took Communion as a BELIEVER, I took it before as a non-believer(forgive me Lord) and it was just a religious act that I would do because I thought it was right, but I didn't understand what I was really doing, until I became a believer and this passage reminds me how wonderful and awesome it is to know Him personally and BELONG to Him! Amen!
                  Hi Trina,

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I too took Communion before I BELIEVED or really understood what I was doing. Growing up I saw it as 'just a religious act' that was done on the first Sunday of each month and made that week's church service a little longer. Looking back I wish I'd asked questions rather than just 'going with the flow.' But because in my hometown back then (and even today) it was expected that children went to church with their parents, that's what I did. I went through the motions of baptism (didn't have a choice on this one as I was baptized as a baby), Communion and Confirmation. To this day I'm still not sure what Confirmation was all about - just another thing I did, but didn't understand.

Looking at this, I realize that I REALLY need to get my backside in gear and post my testimony!

Comment

I really enjoy reading everyoneís responses, comments, discussion and questions. Communion is so very meaningful to us and itís wonderful to read how the Lord has met with Jen and Trina through this simple act. Mark really abbreviates the Last Supper, so if you want to read more about it you can go to Matt 26:26-29; Luke 22:14-23; and 1 Cor 11:23-26.

The points that really stand out in Mark are the essential elements of Communion as I understand it:

1.The bread which represents Christís body broken for us
                    2.The cup which represents Christís blood shed for us
                    3.The promise of His return and His kingdom

Paul in 1 Cor 11 tells us that every time we do this, we proclaim the Lordís death until He comes. Communion therefore reminds us of Christís death for us, and also that He promises to return and establish His kingdom, in which we will be resurrected just as He was resurrected, and we will receive an inheritance. It is a celebration Jesus is looking forward to with great anticipation, as we can see by His statement that He will not drink the fruit of the vine until He drinks it new with us in the kingdom! Communion is a time of both looking back, and of looking forward. We also can look toward this time with joyful anticipation, at the same time that we look back on what Jesus gave for us, in thanksgiving and praise.

Tango commented about the hymn being songs of praise. The Greek word translated ďwhen they had sung an hymnĒ is plural and conveys the idea that they sang praises, as Tango shared with us. It would be reasonable to assume they sang the Passover Hallel Psalms Ė Psalms 113-118, which were sung traditionally by the Jews at Passover and certain other holy days. If you have time, read through them. Theyíre not long. In Psalm 118 you will recall some familiar passages that we have seen in our Mark study, and other passages that clearly speak prophetically about Jesus, like this one:

Ps 118:25-28
                    Save now, I pray, O LORD;
                    O LORD, I pray, send now prosperity.
                    26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD!
                    We have blessed you from the house of the LORD.
                    27 God is the LORD,
                    And He has given us light;
                    Bind the sacrifice with cords to the horns of the altar.
                    28 You are my God, and I will praise You;
                    You are my God, I will exalt You.
                    NKJV

Jesus would soon be bound and He would offer Himself as the sacrifice. Iím sure these Psalms were very meaningful to Him specifically, because He knew they spoke of Him. In Luke 2:44, Jesus says that the Law, the Prophets, and the Psalms all speak of Him.
                    It is easy to see why the disciples did not accept what Jesus said they were going to do Ė abandon Him. They certainly did not intend to do that. I like how you answered the question:

Jen: I'm still not sure that Peter and the other disciples REALLY understand what is about to happen to Jesus. Or that they understand what a struggle being faithful to the Lord is going to be.

Trina: The disciples did not accept what Jesus told them about what they were going to do that night. He was not testing them. He was telling them what they were going to do. Of coarse, being with Jesus all this time, they're reaction to what He said was natural, but no matter how much they said it would not be so, what Jesus said was and is always true.

And John aptly points out: He was about to be rejected by men, the men who had followed him for so long. Had they not abandoned him (being scattered like sheep) then the prophecies of Zechariah and Isaiah would not be fulfilled.

Great job, everyone!
                    Love In Christ,
                    Tanya

Comment

Week 18 Day 2
                      Mark 14:32-42

Then they came to a place which was named Gethsemane; and He said to His disciples, "Sit here while I pray." 33 And He took Peter, James, and John with Him, and He began to be troubled and deeply distressed. 34 Then He said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch."

35 He went a little farther, and fell on the ground, and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass from Him. 36 And He said, "Abba, Father, all things are possible for You. Take this cup away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will."

37 Then He came and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, "Simon, are you sleeping? Could you not watch one hour? 38 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

39 Again He went away and prayed, and spoke the same words. 40 And when He returned, He found them asleep again, for their eyes were heavy; and they did not know what to answer Him.

41 Then He came the third time and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? It is enough! The hour has come; behold, the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. 42 Rise, let us be going. See, My betrayer is at hand."
                      ~~ Question numbers below correspond to verse numbers above ~~

a. Note the location. See pictures at http://www.bibleplaces.com/mtolives.htm
                      (The garden of Gethsemane is located on the Mount of Olives opposite the Temple Mount.)

b. What did Jesus tell the disciples to do?

33-34.
                      a. Whom did Jesus separate from the rest of the group?
                      b. Describe what He did in their presence.
                      c. What did He want them to do?

35-36.
                      a. Where did Jesus go after this?
                      b. What did He do there?
                      c. What did He ask?
                      d. What did Jesus say that assures us of His infallible obedience?

37-38.
                      a. In what state did Jesus find Peter, James and John after He returned from His prayer?
                      b. Why do you think Jesus addressed Simon in particular? What did He ask Him?
                      c. What command did He repeat to them? Also note the added instruction.
                      d. What benefit would they receive if they would obey Him?
                      e. What obstacle were they to overcome by obeying Jesusí command?

39-40.
                      a. Note what Jesus did after speaking to Peter.
                      b. In what condition did He find His disciples when He returned to them the second time?
                      c. What was their response to Him?

41-42.
                      a. Describe what happened when Jesus returned to them the third time.

* What can we learn from this about a window of opportunity to pray about something?
                      Love In Christ,
                      Tanya

Comment

Sorry to be late this week, I'll try to catch up tonight. I'm distracted in preparing for a foot surgery a week from today. (Joint replacement, big toe, right foot.) Anyone who feels like praying for me, I welcome it. It's a small surgery, but my nerves are a bit bouncy about it.
                        Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
                        23 Guard your heart above all else,
                        for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

Yes, thanks for letting us know RW, and I will pray that the surgery will go smoothly and quickly, without any complications, and same for the healing process. Keep us posted, so we don't forget to pray for you next week before you go in for the surgery.
                          Love In Christ,
                          Tanya

Comment

Jesus and the disciples arrived in Gethsemane. Jesus told the disciples to sit while he prayed. It seems very strange to me that Jesus would take them with him, only to tell them to sit and wait.

The Greek word for "pray" here is "proseuchomai", which is constructed of the noun euche (prayer to God which includes a vow), which expands to "euchomai" (a term describing an invocation or request) and "pros" (in the direction of). This makes more sense in the light of what follows.

Jesus took Peter, James and John with him (presumably away from the group), and became troubled. The Greek adēmoneō suggests loathing and great distress, which isn't surprising given what Jesus knew was coming. He told the three to watch (i.e. be awake, vigilant, keep watch).

Jesus then went on a little further, where he fell on the ground and begged God to let the hour pass from him. The Message puts this very succinctly, "he fell to the ground and prayed for a way out". He was asking God that, if there was any possible way, to spare him the horrible death that was coming, to take the cup of suffering away. But in spite of knowing what lay ahead he still ended with "not my will but yours" - if there was no other way he was going to go through with it.

In terms of what Jesus wanted to avoid, "take this cup away" seems so simple and the meaning so apparently obvious. Jesus didn't want to die and certainly didn't want to be crucified. But, of course, if he was to take our punishment he was going to have to be cut off from God completely - he had to die physically and spiritually just like we would otherwise have to do. Jumping ahead a little we see this (emphasis mine):

Mar 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" which is translated, "MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?"
                            Being cut off from God was going to be worse for Jesus than all the physical pain on the cross, but still he was willing to go through with it.

He returned to the three to find them asleep. Since Peter was the one who had first insisted that he would never abandon Jesus the question was directed at him, "couldn't you watch for one hour?". Then he told them to watch and pray, so they could avoid temptation. The flesh was weak (i.e. the part of them that fell asleep), and by praying they would be focussing on their spirit rather than their bodies.

After speaking with Peter, Jesus went back to pray, again asking God to spare him the suffering. When he got back the three disciples were asleep again, and this time they didn't even know how to reply. Here the NLT comes up with "And they didn't know what to say" - they'd been told once to watch, then reprimanded for failing and now they had failed again.

The third time Jesus returned they had fallen asleep yet again. Jesus then told them that they were out of time, that his betrayer was coming. They had had their chance to pray but had slept instead, so there were no more chances. This is a good example of why we should pray for things when the need arises - it's very easy to make a mental note to pray for something later. Personally I find it easy to suddenly realise I needed to pray for something just before going to bed and find myself dozing off while trying to pray. This passage makes it clear that I really need to make more effort to make time during the day, in case the windows of opportunity close.

I found it interesting that Jesus told Peter that he would deny him three times before the cock crowed. The story of Peter saying "no, I wasn't with him" three times is well known, but Peter fell asleep three times while he was supposed to be watching. So it's almost as if Jesus' prophecy was fulfilled twice in the same night.

---

Comment

32. Jesus and the disciples are now in the garden of Gethsemane. He instructs them to sit while He goes off to pray.

33-34. Jesus took Peter, James & John with Him and began to be deeply distressed and troubled. He says to them, 'My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.' He then instructs the three men to stay with Him and keep watch.

35-36. Jesus separated Himself from the group and went a little ways from them where He fell to the ground and prayed. In His prayer He asked that, if it were possible, the awful hour awaiting Him might pass Him by.

I always thought Jesus knew and accepted His fate without question. But I can see now that He didn't want to endure such a horrible death (which is entirely understandable!!!), but because it was God's will He understood and accepted that it must happen.

37-38.
                              a. On His return Jesus finds Peter, James & John asleep.
                              b. Jesus asks Peter 'Simon are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour?' He singles Peter out specifically because it was he who said in v29. 'I will never leave you, even though the rest do!' (GNB) Yet the first time he's asked to keep watch, he falls asleep! Not a very good start really, is it?

Thanks to tango for helping me with that one.

c. Jesus instructs them a second time to keep watch adding that they pray so as not to fall into temptation.

d & e. The answer seems to be the same for both of these questions; If they kept watch and prayed they would receive the strength to resist temptation.

39-40.
                              a. Jesus went away again and prayed using the same words, 'Abba, Father, everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.'

b. Again, when he returned, He found the three asleep. Because their eyes were heavy.

c. They didn't know what to say to Him. I imagine they were more than a little embarrassed.

41-42. When Jesus returned to find the three asleep a third time, He basically had had enough. He says to them, 'The hour has come; look the Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!'

Had the three been keeping watch, they would've seen the group approaching and could've warned Jesus. But because they didn't pray they couldn't resist the temptation of sleep.

Windows of opportunity don't last forever, so we need to learn to put off praying about something until later. Do it now!

And with that, this phroggie is off to her lilypad for some sleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X