X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long lifespans in the bible?

Some are living pretty long even today:

Japan's Oldest Person Dies at 113

Japan's oldest person has died at a hospital in southwestern Japan, her nursing home said Saturday. She was 113.
    Tsuneyo Toyonaga, who became the country's oldest person last August, died Friday, days after she was transferred to a nearby hospital because she lost her appetite, said Masuko Yamamoto, deputy director of the Yume-no-Sato nursing home in the southern city of Nangoku.
    Born on May 21, 1894, Toyonaga had been in the nursing home the last 12 years. She was a darling among caretakers and fellow residents, Yamamoto said.
    "She was dozing off most of the day recently but when she was awake she used to enjoy singing children's songs. Once she started singing she wouldn't stop until we all got tired and had to stop her," she said.
    Toyonaga is survived by five children and 10 grandchildren, Kyodo News agency said.
    Kaku Yamanaka, born on Dec. 11, 1894, is now Japan's oldest person, according to the Health and Welfare Ministry. She lives in a nursing home in Aichi, central Japan.
    The number of Japanese living beyond 100 has almost quadrupled in the past 10 years and is soon expected to surpass 28,000.
    Japan has one of the world's longest average life spans -- a factor often attributed to a healthy diet rich in fish and rice. In 2006, Japanese women set a new record for life expectancy at 85.81 years, while men live an average of about 79 years.
    Edna Parker of Shelbyville, Ind., is recognized as the world's oldest person at age 114, according to The Guinness Book of Records. She was born on April 20, 1893.
    1Peter 3:15
    (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Ge 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

113 years is a long life, and not out of bounds with what God said.

But, it is a far cry from the 969 years of Methuselah.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane Morse View Post
      Ge 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

113 years is a long life, and not out of bounds with what God said.
      God didn't limit life to 120 years since many people in the bible lives past 120 years after that statement. It's misunderstood.

But, it is a far cry from the 969 years of Methuselah.

It wasn't a comparison, just worth mentioning. I've heard there are older people but there aren't accurate enough records to be made official.
      (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

Originally posted by Naphal View Post
        God didn't limit life to 120 years since many people in the bible lives past 120 years after that statement. It's misunderstood.

It wasn't a comparison, just worth mentioning. I've heard there are older people but there aren't accurate enough records to be made official.
        After that time, who lived to be over 120 years?

And hearsay can never be taken as fact.

Comment

After that time, who lived to be over 120 years?
          People born after the flood
          Arphaxad-438 years
          Salah 433 years
          Eber 464 years
          Peleg 239 years
          Reu 239 years
          Serug 230 years
          Nahor 148 years
          Terah 205 years
          Abraha 175 yeras
          Isaac 180 years
          Jacob 147 years

And hearsay can never be taken as fact.

Which is why those people's ages aren't recorded as official.

Comment

So it seems that a line (or lines) lived longer than the 120 years, after the statement.

So then, what is your point in this thread?

No modern day person has outlived 120 years (at least as a documented fact), as far as I can tell.

What is it that you are trying to convey?

Comment

No modern day person has outlived 120 years (at least as a documented fact), as far as I can tell.

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9708/04/obit.oldest/

"Jeanne Calment, believed to be the world's oldest person, died Monday at age 122, according to her retirement home."

Comment

So, did she die laughing?

Comment

How does a hundred or a thousand years compare to eternal life, that we have been promosed?

Comment

When I read this scripture for the first time and then continued to read of the long life spans after this I wondered about it also. Since the lifespans decreased over time I realized that once God set the life span to 120 years that it didn't happen in an instant. Instead, over time it was so. That's my take on it.
                    Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Originally posted by dworthington View Post
                      How does a hundred or a thousand years compare to eternal life, that we have been promosed?
                      How? Well one is much shorter than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                        When I read this scripture for the first time and then continued to read of the long life spans after this I wondered about it also. Since the lifespans decreased over time I realized that once God set the life span to 120 years that it didn't happen in an instant. Instead, over time it was so. That's my take on it.

Genesis 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

I think the only valid reading of this is that mankind had 120 years left and then they would die via the flood. This statement doesn't limit life to 120 years nor does it guarantee life to 120 years. It just says the days would be 120 years and that has to be what was left at the time of it being said.

God stated that 120 years before sending the flood. Noah was alive and would have been about 480 years old when God made that statement, then 20 years later Noah had children and 100 years later the flood came. This gave him and his sons enough time to build the ark.

Comment

Genesis 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

I think the only valid reading of this is that mankind had 120 years left and then they would die via the flood. This statement doesn't limit life to 120 years nor does it guarantee life to 120 years. It just says the days would be 120 years and that has to be what was left at the time of it being said.

God stated that 120 years before sending the flood. Noah was alive and would have been about 480 years old when God made that statement, then 20 years later Noah had children and 100 years later the flood came. This gave him and his sons enough time to build the ark.
                          Greetings Naphal,

That is the way I understand that passage as well. What does this verse from the Psalms tell us?

Ps 90:10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

Blessings,
                          RW

Comment

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
                            Greetings Naphal,

That is the way I understand that passage as well. What does this verse from the Psalms tell us?

Ps 90:10 The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

Blessings,
                            RW
                            It tells us that God has been decreasing our lifespans on an average.

Moses lived to be 120. Joseph and Joshua lived to be 110.

terrell

Comment

Originally posted by RogerW View Post
                              Greetings Naphal,

Blessings,
                              RW
                              Psa 90:10 We can expect seventy years, or maybe eighty, if we are healthy, but even our best years bring trouble and sorrow. Suddenly our time is up, and we disappear.

Comment

Working...
                              X