Leaving the Catholic Church?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving the Catholic Church?

I'm pretty close to leaving the Catholic Church. The older I get, I just cant go along with its teachings....calling our priest "father", the whole Mary thing, the list goes on and on. Any advice would be welcome. Mods, if this is on the wrong board, sorry. Thank you all so much in advance.

What age are you if you don't mind me asking, have you ever studied your faith more closely?

Comment

I'm 36. I went to Catholic School K-5, went through confirmation, all that. The more I analyze it, the more I realize, I just cant do it anymore. Its really starting to weigh on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike33 View Post
        I'm 36. I went to Catholic School K-5, went through confirmation, all that. The more I analyze it, the more I realize, I just cant do it anymore. Its really starting to weigh on me.
        If the Spirit is moving you to move, then you need to heed it.
        Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
        Not second or third, but first.
        Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
        when He is the source of all hope,
        when His love is received and freely given,
        holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
        will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

I'm pretty close to leaving the Catholic Church. The older I get, I just cant go along with its teachings....calling our priest "father", the whole Mary thing, the list goes on and on. Any advice would be welcome. Mods, if this is on the wrong board, sorry. Thank you all so much in advance.
          I'm in full support

Comment

I agree. If it is weighing on you, you must seek the will of the Lord. I attend a non denominational church for the simple reason of only following God and not a man made religion. We only use the Bible, Gods Holy words, to instruct our lives. We only need to go to God. Jesus made that possible on the cross 2000 years ago, he is the only mediator we need to talk God. I hope that helps some.

Comment

I have a few friends who went through the same step. Actually, most people who learn the truth about these things find themselves in your situation - they have to leave. This is true not only of the Catholic Church, but any church that is teaching things that distract from learning truth.

May the Lord lead you by His righteous right hand, to the place you need to be.
              Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
              23 Guard your heart above all else,
              for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

Mike, I'd actually learn for yourself what scripture teaches
                Churches tend to be run by men ;(
                Last edited by Brother Mark; Feb 28th 2008, 01:32 AM. Reason: cleanup from deleted post

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga
                  Goes for everyone, anyone and everything I encounter who claims to be a teacher and represent a Christian world view.

Even if we leave it up to others to explain the more difficult portions of scripture. I believe it's also our duty to make sure that what they've taught is in line with scripture as a whole.
                  I agree, and ofcourse praying for guidance from the Holy Spirit will help us discern what is the truth(John14:26)

And we know that the Holy Spirit cannot give us two conflicting messages.

Comment

If the doctrine is not what you agree with you should leave.

Comment

Thank you all so much. I guess my true faith is pretty basic. I just believe in trying to follow the Ten Commandments and "do unto others."

Comment

Thank you all so much. I guess my true faith is pretty basic. I just believe in trying to follow the Ten Commandments and "do unto others."
                        How much Bible study do you do, Mike? How well do you know Jesus, and His character? Do you know how to study the Bible for yourself? If you need an online Bible, go to Biblegateway.com and check it out.

When you learn to study the Bible for yourself, you are on your way to real freedom. Jesus said if we abide in His words, in Him, we will know the Truth, and will be free indeed.

Try reading the book of John.

May the Lord lead you!
                        Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
                        23 Guard your heart above all else,
                        for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

I very rarely read the Bible. Occasionally, I may google a scripture or two..I still feel that my love for Jesus is strong, and I want to join him in Heaven someday.....I just can't go along with Catholic teachings anymore. Gosh, I'm realizing that I really dont know scripture at all!

Comment

I very rarely read the Bible. Occasionally, I may google a scripture or two..I still feel that my love for Jesus is strong, and I want to join him in Heaven someday.....I just can't go along with Catholic teachings anymore.
                            Suggestion, start reading that Bible

Comment

I very rarely read the Bible. Occasionally, I may google a scripture or two..I still feel that my love for Jesus is strong, and I want to join him in Heaven someday.....I just can't go along with Catholic teachings anymore.
                              Listen to what the Spirit is telling you, take it all up in prayer often (as in several times a day) and ask that knowledge be given to you.

Please do get into scripture, the knowledge the Spirit will show you in there is limitless! If we don't know what God's word says we cannot discern what is of Him and what is not.

Continue to love and trust in the Lord.
                              Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
                              Not second or third, but first.
                              Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
                              when He is the source of all hope,
                              when His love is received and freely given,
                              holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
                              will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X