Wake Up People!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake Up People!

Personally I don't understand the fact it seems 99.9% of Christians don't think it's possible to know when Christ will return.

Mark 13:32 - No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

No one knows is present tense, at that time no one knew.

1 Thessalonians 5:4 - But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

(CEV puts it more clearly) 1 Thessalonians 5:4 - My dear friends, you don't live in darkness, and so that day won't surprise you like a thief.

Revelation 3:3 - Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.

. . . if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief . . . only if we do not wake up, open our eyes, pay attention to what we've been told will He come as a thief.

It is entirely possible to know when He will come. My question is why everyone doesn't want to know?
    Laughing at the world
    Watching it bend
    Enjoying the show
    Just waiting for the end

Not worried a bit
    as I walk through the mist
    By God I will sit
    And watch the world twist

In Him I will trust
    And only Him I will fear
    When the world turns to dust
    I know He'll be near

OK spider. Sock it to me.
    "Your name and renown
    is the desire of our hearts."
    (Isaiah 26:8)

Comment

When will it be then ?

I have no idea but i'll try to follow the Commandments set out for me till the Lord comes again. Predicting a time is a very dangerous thing to do ! william miller done it and was wrong and the Jahova Witness's, anlong with countless others.

I thought the meaning of the text Dont live in darkness ment that we are not to live in sin and be unaware of the Gospel so when the day comes we are not lost.

There is also the words " the angles and the Son dosn't know " so what chance do we have, if Jesus donst know, only the Father ?

My interpretation may be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by White Spider View Post
        Personally I don't understand the fact it seems 99.9% of Christians don't think it's possible to know when Christ will return.

Mark 13:32 - No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

1 Thessalonians 5:4 - But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

(CEV puts it more clearly) 1 Thessalonians 5:4 - My dear friends, you don't live in darkness, and so that day won't surprise you like a thief.

Revelation 3:3 - Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.

. . . if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief . . . only if we do not wake up, open our eyes, pay attention to what we've been told will He come as a thief.

It is entirely possible to know when He will come. My question is why everyone doesn't want to know?
        Are you awake? Do you know the day and the hour in which He will come?
        If the Calvinistic Westminister Confession is true (that "God from all eternity did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass"), then God ordained my disbelief of Calvinism.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberseeker View Post

OK spider. Sock it to me.
          Oh, no...I just had a "Laugh In" flashback...
          θεοφιλε

Comment

So are you saying that the scripture, Mark 13:32... is wrong?
            Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

" But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. "

Could this mean that the brethren are PREPARED for the times ahead, as opposed to knowing the day or even the season?

What will save man during that time? Will knowing the date/time/season? Not at all. The only thing saving man will be a saving faith in Jesus. So the Father has no reason what-so-ever to tell us the date/time/season. As long as our faith is secure, it won't even matter.

Comment

Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
                " But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. "

Could this mean that the brethren are PREPARED for the times ahead, as opposed to knowing the day or even the season?

What will save man during that time? Will knowing the date/time/season? Not at all. The only thing saving man will be a saving faith in Jesus. So the Father has no reason what-so-ever to tell us the date/time/season. As long as our faith is secure, it won't even matter.
                This is how I read all the scripture involved. Be ready... don't care about the when cause Jesus doesn't even know when... but JUST BE READY!
                Slug1--out

~"In the turmoil of any chaos, all it takes is that whisper that is heard like thunder over all the noise and the chaos seems to go away, focus returns and we are comforted in knowing that God has listened to our cry for help."~

Comment

Can we apply this kind of translation principle to the rest of the old and new testaments? Anything that does explicitly have a future tense can be ignored? Scary stuff.

Mostly because we've been hearing people who are SO SURE for decades. Its always the same obscure errata hammered over top of vague symbology. The insane part is that some day those people will be right (but only because they're ALWAYS saying it). Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

We could very well be in the last days. But there's no way to know that for sure. The one thing thats absolute, when the Lord comes, we'll know!

Comment

Originally posted by Slug1 View Post
                    JUST BE READY!

good advice since most don't know their own last day and hour

I often wonder why so many focus on the end when their own could be so much sooner

JESUS SON OF GOD IS MY LORD

All Things Are Possible

Comment

Just a friendly reminder to all that date-setting is against the board rules. So don't go there. Even if you think you know..........

Carry on...........

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior Prophet View Post
                        good advice since most don't know their own last day and hour

I often wonder why so many focus on the end when their own could be so much sooner
                        IMO it's the distraction we deal with from the enemy. He'd just love for us to devote time to attempting to discover the time even when scritpure is clear... ONLY the Father knows!

All that time looking for "the time" takes away from what God wants us to be doing instead.
                        Slug1--out

Comment

This is about the Day of the Lord, NOT the return of Jesus. This already happened and yes the believers were ready for the judgment that came down on Jerusalem and fled the city as Jesus warned them to do in Matthew 24 and Luke 21. I am not saying this passage means Jesus already had His Second coming because He didn't ...this isn't about that..its about the coming judgment which happened in 70AD in which Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed.

Read carefully!

1 Thessalonians 5
                          The Day of the Lord
                          1 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. 5 You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. 6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. 8 But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. 9 For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him.
                          11 Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing.

This passage is about the Day of the Lord NOT the second coming of Christ.

From Adam Clark bible commentary:
                          This figure is perfectly consistent with what the apostle had said before, viz.: that the times and seasons were not known: though the thing itself was expected, our Lord having predicted it in the most positive manner. So, a woman with child knows that, if she be spared, she will have a bearing time; but the week, the day, the hour, she cannot tell. In a great majority of cases the time is accelerated or retarded much before or beyond the time that the woman expected; so, with respect to the Jews, neither the day, week, month, nor year was known. All that was specifically known was this: their destruction was coming, and it should be sudden, and they should not escape.

Luke 21

20 “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those who are in the midst of her depart, and let not those who are in the country enter her. 22 For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

History shows the believers, heeding the Words of Christ, were watchful and on alert. They were watching for armies to surround the city...and when they saw it, they didn't go back for anything as Jesus said not too and fled the city and were spared the wrath of God as promised. Not one believers died in the siege.

God bless
                          "People do not drift toward holiness. Apart from grace-driven effort, people do not gravitate toward godliness, prayer, obedience to Scripture, faith, and delight in the Lord. We drift toward compromise and call it tolerance; We drift toward disobedience and call it freedom; We drift toward superstition and call it faith. We cherish the indiscipline of lost self-control and call it relaxation; we slouch toward prayerlessness and delude ourselves into thinking we have escaped legalism; we slide toward godlessness and convince ourselves we have been liberated?" - D A Carson

Comment

Amen to that Spider!!!!!

Firstfruits

Comment

Originally posted by Nobunaga View Post
                              When will it be then ?

I have no idea but i'll try to follow the Commandments set out for me till the Lord comes again. Predicting a time is a very dangerous thing to do ! william miller done it and was wrong and the Jahova Witness's, anlong with countless others.

I thought the meaning of the text Dont live in darkness ment that we are not to live in sin and be unaware of the Gospel so when the day comes we are not lost.

There is also the words " the angles and the Son dosn't know " so what chance do we have, if Jesus donst know, only the Father ?

My interpretation may be wrong
                              Jesus told us to watch for signs that will let us know that his return is near, his word still stands that no one know the day nor the hour.

Comment

Working...
                              X