Can't Help But Sin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Help But Sin?

I posted this in another thread, but I felt it needed to be posted here as well. There is a mindset amongst many folks today that we just can't help but sin. I hope to show here that this just isn't biblical . . .

Being able to overcome sin is not a question of being able to keep the law. The fact that we are not under the law is the very reason why we can overcome sin. I will let Scripture speak for itself using the very chapter you are claiming states we can't help but sin . . .

Romans 7:15-25
    For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
    Paul is making it clear that there are two different things that are contrary to one another. He has been born again as a believer in Christ, but his flesh is contrary to that which has been reborn. However, he goes on to say that there is deliverance from this struggle that is presented through the Lord Jesus Christ. In other words, it can be helped and it is helped through the Lord . . .

Continue reading into chapter 8 . . .

Romans 8:1-11
    There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God. But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
    So, this clearly says that if we walk by the Spirit we will not be condemned by the flesh. Why? Because we will not do what the flesh desires to do. Look at what Paul said about walking in the Spirit in Galatians 5 . . .

Galatians 5:16-26
    I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
    Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
    This passage of Scripture clearly says that if you walk in the Spirit you will not do all those sinful and fleshly things. This is saying that we need to walk in the Spirit so that we do not do the works of the flesh. Therefore, it is very possible and very REQUIRED for us to put off the old self and put on the new man. We are no longer slaves of sin but slaves of God as Paul points out in Romans 6 . . .

Romans 6:1-2
    What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
    Romans 6:5-7
    For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. For he who has died has been freed from sin.
    Romans 6:11-14
    Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
    Romans 6:16-23
    Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    So, how does one put off sin and walk in righteousness? How do we walk in the Spirit and not fulfill the lusts of the flesh?

Acts 10:43
    To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.”
    Remission here in the Greek is aphesis and it means a release from bondage or imprisonment. So, anyone who believes in his/her heart that through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ that we are free from the bondage of sin they can certainly walk free of it. Now, this is not saying that we will never ever for the rest of our lives sin. However, what it is saying is that when/if you do sin, it is not because you couldn't help it. It's because you were not obedient. It's as simple as that. If you are born again you should no longer be a slave of sin. He who has been born of God and abides in Him will not sin.

1 John 3:4-9
    Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.
    The "I can't help it" mentality just is not Scriptural. We can most definitely "help it" because the work of Jesus Christ has given that ability to us if we abide in Him through faith. Those who believe and walk by faith can overcome sin. If you don't believe you can overcome sin you certainly won't. Everything about being a Christian revolves around faith. If you don't believe how can you expect to receive? Nothing is impossible for him that believes . . . including being victorious over sin.

God bless!
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Rock on!!!
    Great post!!!

Comment

Amen. Such a mindset is a slick slope down to destruction...One excuse for sin, leading to another. Without constant and firm resolve against sin and temptation, through Christ, our flesh will destroy us.
      Jeremy, a bondservant of the Lord.

Today is a good day to die for Christ.

Comment

In this life we are going to sin no matter how much you overcome. There is no way anyone will become sinless on this earth so that means to me that we are going to sin. If one cannot prevent oneself from sinning entirely then that pretty much says to me that we can't help but sin.
        Regardless, that part you give about overcoming is true to the extent that it should help us to sin less, but it will not make us sinless.
        I have a Blog. Please visit!

My Blog http://bibleforums.org/forum/blog.php?b=537

Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life!

Comment

Originally posted by My heart's Desire View Post
          In this life we are going to sin no matter how much you overcome. There is no way anyone will become sinless on this earth so that means to me that we are going to sin. If one cannot prevent oneself from sinning entirely then that pretty much says to me that we can't help but sin.
          Regardless, that part you give about overcoming is true to the extent that it should help us to sin less, but it will not make us sinless.
          We can overcome all the sin we are aware of in our life. Things we are deceived about and don't recognize as sin, we won't overcome for obvious reasons. But if you know something is a sin, you can keep from doing it.
          Matt 9:13
          13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
          NASU

Comment

Originally posted by My heart's Desire View Post
            I really cannot understand why folks look at the very clear Scriptures given above and still argue what those Scriptures say.

All those VERY CLEAR Scriptures above say that a believer in Jesus Christ is absolutely 100% free from sin. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. If you truly believe, you are free from sin. If you do sin it is because you were flatout disobedient . . . not because you "couldn't help it" and you're still in bondage to sin.
            "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
              I really cannot understand why folks look at the very clear Scriptures given above and still argue what those Scriptures say.

All those VERY CLEAR Scriptures above say that a believer in Jesus Christ is absolutely 100% free from sin. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. If you truly believe, you are free from sin. If you do sin it is because you were flatout disobedient . . . not because you "couldn't help it" and you're still in bondage to sin.
              The very concept of freedom finds its roots in the Bible in one of the most famous quotes of Jesus: "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32). According to this scripture, we can only be free by knowing the truth. If we know the truth, which is Jesus Christ, we will be set free.
              No bondage.
              I'm Sara
              "Jesus wept." John 11:35
              Praying for my sister Mieke.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by militarywife View Post
                The very concept of freedom finds its roots in the Bible in one of the most famous quotes of Jesus: "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" (John 8:32). According to this scripture, we can only be free by knowing the truth. If we know the truth, which is Jesus Christ, we will be set free.
                No bondage.
                I agree . . . .

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

I agree . . . .
                  Joh 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Comment

Free indeed. AMEN.
                    Originally posted by faithfulfriend View Post
                    Joh 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
                    I'm Sara
                    "Jesus wept." John 11:35
                    Praying for my sister Mieke.
                    sigpic

Comment

What about you? Are you 100% free from sin? Do you live a 100% sinless life? Teaching God's Word is one thing, but living that teaching..that's entirely different. The point is, what you're teaching is truth, but can you live that teaching 100% without fail? That's why I apprecieted My heart's Desire post. Those thoughts were more realistic and honest, than someone thinking they can be 100% free from sin. Like My heart's Desire pointed out, that teaching should help someone to sin less, to even desire not to sin at all.

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
                      17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

Since we are still flesh, verse 17 will always apply to us. So when we walk in the Spirit, we won't fullfill the lusts of the flesh. That's true enough. But can any of us walk in the Spirit 100% of the time all the time?

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
                        What about you? Are you 100% free from sin? Do you live a 100% sinless life? Teaching God's Word is one thing, but living that teaching..that's entirely different. The point is, what you're teaching is truth, but can you live that teaching 100% without fail? That's why I apprecieted My heart's Desire post. Those thoughts were more realistic and honest, than someone thinking they can be 100% free from sin. Like My heart's Desire pointed out, that teaching should help someone to sin less, to even desire not to sin at all.
                        By the grace of God I live sinless everyday. With his grace, strength, and help I can make it through every temptation.

The Bible tells us how we are to live:

Tit 2:12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
                        17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
                        Exactly, they are contrary. You can't serve God and the Devil at the same time, either one or the other. Since the flesh and spirit are contrary to each other, one of them has to be put to death.

Since we are still flesh, verse 17 will always apply to us. So when we walk in the Spirit, we won't fullfill the lusts of the flesh. That's true enough. But can any of us walk in the Spirit 100% of the time all the time?
                        Bible says those in Christ have crucified (put to death) the flesh. If something is dead, it really isn't a problem anymore is it? If sin is dead, it's not alive and working in a persons life anymore.

Ga 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
                        Ga 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Comment

Originally posted by divaD View Post
                          What about you? Are you 100% free from sin?
                          Yes. I am absolutely without a shadow of doubt 100% free from sin.

Do you live a 100% sinless life?
                          Unfortunately, there has been times where I have been disobedient to my Lord. However, this is not because I'm not free from sin, but rather because I was disobedient. There is a big difference there that apparently some aren't catching.

Teaching God's Word is one thing, but living that teaching..that's entirely different. The point is, what you're teaching is truth, but can you live that teaching 100% without fail?
                          Does failing change the truth of the Scriptures above?

That's why I apprecieted My heart's Desire post. Those thoughts were more realistic and honest, than someone thinking they can be 100% free from sin.
                          You are absolutely incorrect that her response was "realistic". That response was exactly why so many folks struggle overcoming sin, and it was completely contrary to the REAL truth that is God's Word. God's Word is what is "realistic" and anything contrary to it is a lie. The world would have us believe that we can't live free from sin. That is a lie from the enemy to keep people living in sin. The truth of God's Word says that we are absolutely 100% free from sin. That's what I'm going to listen to, and those who walk by faith will do the same.

Yes, you can. Jesus Christ has given that ability to those who believe. It's when folks aren't believing that they sin. Oh, and that flesh you say you're in is supposed to be dead. Remember? It was crucified with Christ. That's truth. That's God's Word. Everything contrary to it is a lie. It is this lie that Jesus said would be broken by His truth. Those passages were quoted for you above . . .

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free . . . "

If it doesn't align with God's Word it is a lie. Simple as that.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Yes. I am absolutely without a shadow of doubt 100% free from sin.

Unfortunately, there has been times where I have been disobedient to my Lord. However, this is not because I'm not free from sin, but rather because I was disobedient. There is a big difference there that apparently some aren't catching.
                            Please explain how being disobedient is different from sinning.

Because as far as I am concerned, you just contradicted yourself with those two statements.

Comment

Originally posted by Duane Morse View Post
                              Please explain how being disobedient is different from sinning.
                              It's not different. What's different is choice compared to bondage.

Because as far as I am concerned, you just contradicted yourself with those two statements.
                              No contradiction. An unbeliever sins because they are in bondage to sin. They can't help but sin. It's just their way of life. A believer has had these chains of bondage broken, and when they sin they are simply doing so out of shear disobedience. It's not that they can't keep from sinning. It's that they are choosing to sin anyway. An unbeliever doesn't know the truth, and therefore they cannot walk free from the lie. However, believers do know the truth and if they choose to reject righteousness for sin it is because they are being disobedient. They cannot claim bondage to sin because they have been enlightened to the truth.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Working...
                              X