Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

God doesn't like it when his enemies die.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God doesn't like it when his enemies die.

I was looking through this book i own about the bible and i found something that confirms that God doesn't like it when his enemies die.Read ezekiel 33:11 to see what i am talking about.

Could you please post the scripture for us? Makes discussion a lot easier!

What do you think it says? What is your interpretation, Z?
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom.
    Not second or third, but first.
    Only when all else pales to God, when He receives all glory,
    when He is the source of all hope,
    when His love is received and freely given,
    holding not to the world but to the promise to come,
    will all other things be added unto to you.

Comment

Originally posted by threebigrocks View Post
      Could you please post the scripture for us? Makes discussion a lot easier!

What do you think it says? What is your interpretation, Z?
      Ezekiel 33:11 "Say to them, As surely as i live, declares sovereign lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, o house of israel?".

To me this says that God doesn't like it when people die in thier sins and don't care anything about God and that he hopes that they turn to God before it's to late.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorgblar View Post
        Ezekiel 33:11 "Say to them, As surely as i live, declares sovereign lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, o house of israel?".

To me this says that God doesn't like it when people die in thier sins and don't care anything about God and that he hopes that they turn to God before it's to late.
        He says it again in the NT.
        II Peter 3:9
        The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-word, not willing that any should perish, but that all shouldcome to repentence.
        Last edited by redeemedbyhim; Mar 6th 2008, 12:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

2 Peter 3:9

Peter said that the Lord is long suffering toward "US" and not toward "them".

verse 3: "there will be scoffers walking according to THEIR own lusts".
          verse 5: "THEY willingly forget...."

verse 9" "But the Lord is long suffering toward US, not willing that any should perish".

The "us" is to be distinguished from "them". Peter speaks about "them" and after that says, "BUT the Lord is long suffering toward US". So it is with the "us" that God suffers long. Nothing at all is said about His having patience with "them".

Comment

Originally posted by thethinker View Post
            Peter said that the Lord is long suffering toward "US" and not toward "them".

verse 3: "there will be scoffers walking according to THEIR own lusts".
            verse 5: "THEY willingly forget...."

verse 9" "But the Lord is long suffering toward US, not willing that any should perish".

The "us" is to be distinguished from "them". Peter speaks about "them" and after that says, "BUT the Lord is long suffering toward US". So it is with the "us" that God suffers long. Nothing at all is said about His having patience with "them".
            According to this then, the "all" is only the "all" of "us" (being believers)? Aren't we as believers all ready not perishing haven't we all ready repented?
            So then He is willing that those who reject Him perish?

I want to learn more, so please don't think I'm asking to argue. Thanks.

Comment

redeemedbyhim said: "According to this then, the "all" is only the "all" of "us" (being believers)? Aren't we as believers all ready not perishing haven't we all ready repented?

I want to learn more, so please don't think I'm asking to argue. Thanks."

Dear redeemedbyhim,
              The "all' is qualified by the first person "us". "God is long suffering toward US not willing that any should perish, but that ALL should come to repentance". It does not say that God is longsuffering toward THEM. In fact, verse 7 says that the present earth is being reserved for the "destruction" of ungodly men (the "them" in verses 3,5).

Verse 15 says that the long suffering of God "is salvation" for the "us" of verse 9. So the earth is reserved for THEIR destruction while the long suffering of God is salvation for US.

Some of US have already come to repentance while others of US must yet come to repentance.

Comment

redeemedbyhim said: "According to this then, the "all" is only the "all" of "us" (being believers)? Aren't we as believers all ready not perishing haven't we all ready repented?

I want to learn more, so please don't think I'm asking to argue. Thanks."

Dear redeemedbyhim,
                The "all' is qualified by the first person "us". "God is long suffering toward US not willing that any should perish, but that ALL should come to repentance". It does not say that God is longsuffering toward THEM. In fact, verse 7 says that the present earth is being reserved for the "destruction" of ungodly men (the "them" in verses 3,5).

Verse 15 says that the long suffering of God "is salvation" for the "us" of verse 9. So the earth is reserved for THEIR destruction while the long suffering of God is salvation for US.

Some of US have already come to repentance while others of US must yet come to repentance.
                You had me til the last sentence...sorry, I'm a bit slow apparently.
                So, you're saying that "some of US" have repented but others haven't? Does this mean that God is talking about the Christians He's seeing in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by Zorgblar View Post

What he is saying is that he prefers when a wicked person becomes a good person more than seeing a wicked person die.
                  1Peter 3:15
                  (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

Originally posted by Naphal View Post
                    What he is saying is that he prefers when a wicked person becomes a good person more than seeing a wicked person die.
                    Everyone has their own ideas and your guess is as good as mine so if you want it to say that that works.

Comment

Originally posted by redeemedbyhim View Post
                      You had me til the last sentence...sorry, I'm a bit slow apparently.
                      So, you're saying that "some of US" have repented but others haven't? Does this mean that God is talking about the Christians He's seeing in the future?
                      Yes! Some of "us" have repented already while others of "us" will eventually repent. God's longsuffering IS salvation (v. 15) toward ALL of "us", past, present and future.

Comment

Originally posted by redeemedbyhim View Post
                        He says it again in the NT.
                        II Peter 3:9
                        The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-word, not willing that any should perish, but that all shouldcome to repentence.
                        It is also found again in the New Testament in 1 Timothy 2:4. here it is in context:

1I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— 2for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
                        Last edited by grptinHisHand; Mar 6th 2008, 03:22 PM. Reason: New International Version
                        "Gripped in the Hand of God"

Comment

God speaks like us

Originally posted by grptinHisHand View Post
                          It is also found again in the New Testament in 1 Timothy 2:4. here it is in context:

1I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— 2for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
                          The term "all men" in 1 Timothy 2:4 refers to all classes of men. The term "all" must always be qualified by its context.

I had a discussion with a man about substance abuse. He told me that he has found that "all men" use drugs. Then he said that doctors, lawyers, teachers, politicians, business men, black, white and the rich and poor use drugs.

My point: His term "all men" did NOT mean that all souls that live use drugs. He simply meant that the problem of drug abuse crosses over "all" socio-economic classes and "all" recial distinctions.

So we must also treat the word of God. The context defines "all". God speaks to us the way we speak. He speaks like us. And His salvation crosses over to all men, whether Jew and Gentile, man and woman, slave and free and rich and poor.

But He offers nothing at all to the unbelieving part of men.

Comment

Not only does God not like it when His enemies die God loves His enemies and instructs us that if we are to be like Him we must also love our enemies:

Matt. 5:43-48 - “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?

Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Here we have the teaching of Christ telling us that if we are to be like God then we must love our enemies, those who curse us and hate us and use us because that is WHAT GOD DOES.. He loves those who hate Him, curse Him and use Him.

Christ even says that if we only love those who love us then we are no different than the tax collector. But God is not like this. He is contrasted against this type of love.

So, what is God's attitude towards His enemies? He loves them... plain and simple.

Romans 5:10 - For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
                            WDJD - what DID Jesus do

He died on a cross for our sin and rose from the dead,
                            securing, for all who believe, eternal life and forgiveness of sin

Toolman

Comment

The term "all men" in 1 Timothy 2:4 refers to all classes of men. The term "all" must always be qualified by its context.

I had a discussion with a man about substance abuse. He told me that he has found that "all men" use drugs. Then he said that doctors, lawyers, teachers, politicians, business men, black, white and the rich and poor use drugs.

My point: His term "all men" did NOT mean that all souls that live use drugs. He simply meant that the problem of drug abuse crosses over "all" socio-economic classes and "all" recial distinctions.

So we must also treat the word of God. The context defines "all". God speaks to us the way we speak. He speaks like us. And His salvation crosses over to all men, whether Jew and Gentile, man and woman, slave and free and rich and poor.

But He offers nothing at all to the unbelieving part of men.
                              God offers mercy and grace to unbelieving and disobedient men.

As far as "all" meaning "all" then does God only mean all classes of men in these verses:

Romans 3:23 - for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Romans 5:12 - Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned—

Romans 5:18 - Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.

Romans 11:32 - For God has bound all men over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Acts 17:30 - Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent,

1 Timothy 4:10 - For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe.

When we speak soteriologically of "all men" then it is obvious "all men" means exactly what it says.. all men.

BTW - Welcome to the board. I'm not trying to be a jerk here to you but simply sharing what I believe about the particular issue
                              WDJD - what DID Jesus do

He died on a cross for our sin and rose from the dead,
                              securing, for all who believe, eternal life and forgiveness of sin

Toolman

Comment

Working...
                              X