God Sought To Kill Moses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Sought To Kill Moses

I read this the other day, and I can`t even begin to figure it out at all.

What did Moses do to bring this on? Is anything in history about this?

Why did God start to kill Moses???

And what changed His mind?

Exodus 4:

24 And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the LORD met him, and sought to kill him.

25 Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me.

26 So he let him go: then she said, A bloody husband thou art, because of the circumcision.
    Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

I've been scratching my head over that one too.

Comment

God didn't kill Moses because Moses' wife circumcised their child. Which is why God wanted to kill Moses in the first place (breaking the covenant).

Comment

Its hard for me to wrap my mind around all that - God LOVED Moses!

And the reference is so obscure! Its as bad as me & my one-liners - hahaha.
        Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

Circumcision is a sign of the covenant. God had called Moses to deliver Israel. If we are going to serve in ministry, we better maintain our family and ourselves in covenant with God.

It was such an issue with God that he wanted Israel to be circumcised at Gilgal after the 40 years in the wilderness.

David pointed out that Goliath was not in covenant with the most High God by calling him an "uncircumcised Philistine".

It's all about covenant.
          Matt 9:13
          13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
          NASU

Comment

I've always wondered what that was all about too, and figured it was something that the current people understood so no explanation was deemed needed. Like perhaps Moses should have known to circumcise his boys when they were born and didn't.

Comment

I need Bible scholars here!

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
              God didn't kill Moses because Moses' wife circumcised their child. Which is why God wanted to kill Moses in the first place (breaking the covenant).
              Can you enlarge upon that any? Thanks.
              Last edited by menJesus; Mar 7th 2008, 12:51 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                Circumcision is a sign of the covenant. God had called Moses to deliver Israel. If we are going to serve in ministry, we better maintain our family and ourselves in covenant with God.

It was such an issue with God that he wanted Israel to be circumcised at Gilgal after the 40 years in the wilderness.

David pointed out that Goliath was not in covenant with the most High God by calling him an "uncircumcised Philistine".

It's all about covenant.
                Alright, but is this the only thig that was ever said about it? Biblically?

Moses didn`t do it, and God brooded over it until He became wrathful and suddenly sought to kill him?

Comment

Originally posted by menJesus View Post
                  Alright, but is this the only thig that was ever said about it? Biblically?

Moses didn`t do it, and God brooded over it until He became wrathful and suddenly sought to kill him?
                  God is a covenant keeping God. Covenant is very, very important. God didn't brood over it. He was just illustrating how important it is. God relented as soon as Zeporah did her thing. Had God really wanted to kill him, Moses would have died.

It's a serious thing when we step out in ministry but refuse to walk in covenant with God!

There are many scriptures about circumcision. It's all about covenant.

The first mention of it in scripture...

Gen 17:9-11

9 God said further to Abraham, "Now as for you, you shall keep My covenant, you and your descendants after you throughout their generations. 10 This is My covenant, which you shall keep, between Me and you and your descendants after you: every male among you shall be circumcised. 11 And you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be the sign of the covenant between Me and you.
                  NASB
                  Matt 9:13
                  13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                  NASU

Comment

Yes I agree with Mark, circumcision was a sign of the covenant and God commanded the father of the household to make sure everyone was circumcised and Moses was being disobedient, whether he realized it or not. His wife I believe is a distant cousin from Keturah's side of the family. Gen.25:2;(Midian) Keturah knew to circumcise her sons and must have passed that along. Gen.17:9-14;

Jethro was a priest of God and knew to circumcise and I would deduce that from the action of his daughter, she knew what God was upset about and did the right thing in circumcising her son, just in time.

But the statement 'you are a bridegroom of blood to me' has always puzzled me. Ex.4:24-26;

Here's another puzzler Col.2:11,12, it seems our baptism is where we are circumcised by Christ, if circumcision is so important it almost cost Moses his life how much more our circumcision or our baptism is today?

RJ Mac

Comment

Thanks, BrotherMark. So, everything in the Bible that says something akin to "throughout their generations" or similar, is something that is applicable to all of us today!

(Add: Moses had to have known that! was he being rebellious?)

Ooh! Start a thread on that! I have seen several references to such as that in the Bible.
                      Last edited by menJesus; Mar 7th 2008, 01:11 AM. Reason: add

Comment

Well menJesus, I think if I were to expand I would simply repeat what BrotherMark and others have said.

Comment

Originally posted by Xel'Naga View Post
                          Well menJesus, I think if I were to expand I would simply repeat what BrotherMark and others have said.
                          Alright then, thanks!
                          Last edited by menJesus; Mar 7th 2008, 01:16 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I've always thought it was because Moses' wife did not want her son circumcised, so it had not been done. But the wrath of God against Moses showed her she had no choice in the matter.

Moses is held responsible, not the wife, because the man is the one who carries the responsibility, even when the wife is the one doing the wrong thing. (Eve, Sarah, Zipporah, etc.)

But in this instance, when Zipporah saw the truth, she did what needed to be done, but hated every minute of it! She did not want her son to be circumcised.

The circumcision had to happen on the 8th day, so it is likely that this is when God showed up at the camp - when the little boy was 8 days old.
                            Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
                            23 Guard your heart above all else,
                            for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadWarrior View Post
                              I've always thought it was because Moses' wife did not want her son circumcised...
                              That's something I never thought about, but it makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X