Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 Saumuel 27-29...why was David living with his enemies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 Saumuel 27-29...why was David living with his enemies?

In 1 Saumel 27-29 David flees from Saul and goes to Gath, which was a land of the Philistines. It is there that he meets Achish and they become partners. Once you get into chapter 29 the Philistines tell Achish to make David go away from them (and not go to battle with them) because they fear he will turn his back on them eventually. My question is...why did David even flee from Saul (1) into Philistine territory and then (2) make a friendship with Achish?

Originally posted by bhoup View Post
    In 1 Saumel 27-29 David flees from Saul and goes to Gath, which was a land of the Philistines. It is there that he meets Achish and they become partners. Once you get into chapter 29 the Philistines tell Achish to make David go away from them (and not go to battle with them) because they fear he will turn his back on them eventually. My question is...why did David even flee from Saul (1) into Philistine territory and then (2) make a friendship with Achish?
    David fled from Saul because of his respect for his position as king of Israel (God's anointed) and Saul was trying to kill him.

As to why make friends with Achish. Isn't it a good idea to have peace between you when your in the midst of those who don't trust you. It was to David's advantage. To Achish, David was abhorred by Israel.

Comment

Oooo. This is a wonderful study. Gath was also the hometown of Goliath! When David killed Goliath he said that he did not come with a sword but he came in the name of the Lord. God blessed him with a great victory. When he was running from Saul, he went to the priest and picked up the sword of Goliath. When did David ever need a sword before? It was after that he fled to Gath. In Gath he pretended to be crazy so he could live.

The lesson? When we walk in the flesh, we will make foolish decisions and look foolish. It is better to walk with the sword of the Lord than to trust in the sword of Goliath. Trusting in the flesh will lead us right back to the home town of felsh, Gath.
      Matt 9:13
      13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
      NASU

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'm still a little confused as to why David fled into enemy territory and not somewhere else that might seem a little more safe.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'm still a little confused as to why David fled into enemy territory and not somewhere else that might seem a little more safe.
          Because when one starts walking in the flesh, one makes dumb decisions. He took up the sword of Goliath instead of the sword of the Spirit. He stopped trusting in God to deliver him and when we do that, we don't think clearly. It is a valuable lesson for us.
          Matt 9:13
          13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
          NASU

Comment

Achish knew David was a formidable adversary of Saul and offered his domain as a sanctuary for him, they both had a common enemy in Saul. Saul did not have sufficient military strength to pursue David in Palestine territory.

Comment

Working...
            X