I magnify mine office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I magnify mine office

For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:

What does Paul mean when he says this?

Positive uses of the word magnify:

O magnify the LORD with me

My soul doth magnify the Lord,

For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.

Negative uses of the word magnify:

magnify himself against me;

they magnify themselves against me.

If indeed ye will magnify yourselves against me

Most times the Bible mentions the word magnify in relation to anything but God the usage is negative.
    What is Paul talking about when he magnifys his own office?

God bless you.
    Jesus died for me and you too!

Originally posted by Jesusdiedforme View Post
    For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:

Most times the Bible mentions the word magnify in relation to anything but God the usage is negative.

God bless you.
    Greetings JDFM & Welcome to the Community!

Paul is magnifying his office as servant of the Lord, or his office as an evangelist for the Lord. He is speaking of those Jews, his kinsmen according to the flesh. If every one of them would become servants for Christ, like Paul, evangelists for the gospel, it would mean life from the dead. Imagine if every Jew became a servant of Christ, we would see the greatest revival the world has ever known. The results of Christ being revealed to every Jew would be unparalleled blessing to Jew and Gentile alike.

Many Blessings,
    RW

Comment

Some of us are attempting to understand verses of scripture as they reside in the discourse where they are found and have come to realize that most of the time, a single verse of scripture can be made to say anything one wants to hear.

The verse you cite comes from a passage in which Paul is attempting to teach the church in Rome that God has not finished with his people Israel. In that context, he points out that though Christ has assigned the Gentiles to Paul as his mission field, he would like to bring as many of his own kinsmen into salvation as the Lord would allow.

You cite the verse in the King James English which is out of date and misleading. The term "magnify" in this instance means "to honor", not to exaggerate or multiply. And the term "office" isn't accurate either, since Paul is referring to his ministry, not his office.

What he means to say is this. "I would bring honor to the task given me if I could somehow save some of my fellow kinsmen."

Comment

Originally posted by Jesusdiedforme View Post

God bless you.

Magnify.. used in that verse.. when looked at in the Greek.. can mean to

be of opinion and hold in honour.. or be honourable... to extol...

Paul was the vessel God chose to bring the Gospel message to the Gentiles... and this was one of the Mysteries revealed to Paul.. that the

Gentiles could also become co-heirs with Christ thru the New Birth and faith in Christ and what He accompllished on that Bloody Tree..

Paul was a chosen vessel.. and the ministry God gave to him and enabled him was bringing the message of Salvation.. to the Gentiles and revealing that the Gentiles could also inherit Eternal Life thru the Son... and for this purpose he did magnify his office... not from a prideful purpose or stance.. but from humility and honour..and thankful that God had mercy on him and chose him to relay His Message to the heathen or Gentiles..
        Many appear Righteous and Just because they say 'yes' to Jesus Christ , yet they don't do His Will.
        ------------------------------------------------
        Verily I say unto thee, the tax collectors and the prostitutes go into the Kingdom of Heaven before you do.
        ------------------------------------------------
        The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying. YEA, I have loved thee with an everlasting love; therefore with LOVINGKINDESS have I DRAWN THEE.
        Jeremiah 31:3

Comment

Working...
        X