Remember The Sabbath Day, To Keep It Holy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember The Sabbath Day, To Keep It Holy

How does it apply to us in this day and time? and what Scripture backs up your beliefs?

Thanks.

Exodus 20:8-11 (King James Version)
    King James Version (KJV)
    Public Domain

8Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
    Last edited by menJesus; Mar 7th 2008, 04:38 PM. Reason: add Scripture
    Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Mark 2:26How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?
    27And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: 28Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Most of us has struggled with this issue. I know I have in the past.

Especially when I was asked to be a deacon. I was a millwright in a sawmill so I was scheduled for weekend work regularly. I finally had to make the stand that I would work if the mill was broken down but would not come in for something I could do during the week. God blessed and they did not fire me.

What I have settled with is that God gave us the Sabbath for us to have a day of rest because our bodies need this. If we do not take this rest then we have did ourselves the most injustice.

This is just my take.

Comment

Yeah I agree with the above poster...we should have a day of rest for Him and for ourselves it does make a difference and i feel refreshed and ready to tackle the upcoming week...

Comment

Yes, that day of rest is important, not only physically, but spiritually as well. Does it have to be on a Saturday? I don't think so. But by the same token, it is okay if it IS on a Saturday.
        If you have the choice of Saturday or Sunday (not all have that choice) then it is up to you. But I would submit that selecting Saturday just because it is the day God chose is a pretty good reason. I know I can take my rest on either Saturday or Sunday, but I choose Saturday just simply because I love God and respect Him, and it is what He chose, thus it's good enough for me. Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Kahtar View Post
          Yes, that day of rest is important, not only physically, but spiritually as well. Does it have to be on a Saturday? I don't think so. But by the same token, it is okay if it IS on a Saturday.
          If you have the choice of Saturday or Sunday (not all have that choice) then it is up to you. But I would submit that selecting Saturday just because it is the day God chose is a pretty good reason. I know I can take my rest on either Saturday or Sunday, but I choose Saturday just simply because I love God and respect Him, and it is what He chose, thus it's good enough for me. Does that make sense?
          I agree ...it is important to do things the way He says to do it. Its funny i looked a little bit on sunday worship, and a catholic father came out and said that the catholic church changed the day of worship for christians from saturday to sunday...i guess to be distinct from the jews
          the catholic father went on to state that he does not know why protestants worship on sunday since protestants reject catholic t
          radition

Comment

Originally posted by IWantMoshiach View Post
            I agree ...it is important to do things the way He says to do it. Its funny i looked a little bit on sunday worship, and a catholic father came out and said that the catholic church changed the day of worship for christians from saturday to sunday...i guess to be distinct from the jews
            the catholic father went on to state that he does not know why protestants worship on sunday since protestants reject catholic t
            radition
            That is an interesting question my friend.

Comment

That is an interesting question my friend.
              It is indeed...it is indeed my friend...

Comment

radition

That's exactly what happened; it was the Roman Emperor Consantine the Great (in conjunction with the catholic church), who changed worship for Christians to sunday for that exact reason.

And that's a thing that needs to be seriously thought on by many of today's "Christians", who condemn catholicism so often, especially for their traditions, yet keep so many of those same traditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Braves27 View Post
                  That's exactly what happened; it was the Roman Emperor Consantine the Great (in conjunction with the catholic church), who changed worship for Christians to sunday for that exact reason.

And that's a thing that needs to be seriously thought on by many of today's "Christians", who condemn catholicism so often, especially for their traditions, yet keep so many of those same traditions.
                  ahh spoken with true wisdom...i too have pondered this questions many a days

Comment

I could see a Saturday Sabbath, but then what do you do about church?
                    Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

I guess you can still attend church on sunday nothing wrong with that but sunday is not THE sabbath

Comment

My wife and I take a day of rest. The next day we go to Church. We can do that. Not all can.
                        I don't consider church as being rest, because I teach there. That is my work........

Comment

Oh, okay, now I understand.

Comment

It is my understanding that the Catholic church calls the protestant churches its "harlot churches" and say that "some day they will return". The reasoning is that they followed the Catholic tradition in moving the day of worship from the Sabbath to Sunday, which was a biggy. So the Catholic church already sees the protestant churches following to some extent in their tradition and they believe they will continue to progress in the Catholic tradition until one day they will rejoin the Catholic church.

BHS

Comment

ahh spoken with true wisdom...i too have pondered this questions many a days
                              I, on the other hand, didn't have a clue this was how it happened until just now. I honestly thought it happened during the very beginning of the church when scriptures spoke of them breaking bread on the first day of the week. And I thought that was due to the day of the week that Jesus rose from the grave.

Comment

Working...
                              X