Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home fellowship (Church) vs worshiping in a Church

Which do you prefer and why?

In my former Church they started home fellowship last Summer but only for certain people. Wednesday night services at the Church were cancled. The rest of the congregation ended up going elsewhere for Church as they were pretty much left high and dry. Finally even the Sunday service went to home fellowship with the exeption of the last Sunday of the month. Again, not everyone was involved in the home fellowship. As a result attendance dwindled to one or two families and the Church is now being sold.

I said all of that to say this.....if home fellowship is done correctly I believe it can be a very good thing. It must be organized and some of the congregation should not be left hanging. Every member of the Church must be fed be it by home fellowship or meeting at the Church for services.
    The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. Psalm 23

I've never been involved in home fellowship, but have no problem with it.

I can actually see it being cost-effective for smaller groups because there is no need to pay for and maintain a church building.
    My Blog

Comment

What a sad ending of the church!

I have been involved in home church cells - prayer meetings, Bible study, or just fellowship - but never on any morning or night when the church was open for worship.

These extra meetings were great - but extra. Nothing can beat a church service.
      Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

My former Pastor had a wonderful vision for this. I also feel home fellowship can be a very good thing.

I feel it should either be in place of meeting in the Church or along with regular services at the Church so no one is left out.

Comment

But why not go to the church when you can? Why a home service instead?

And indeed, no one should be left out!
          Last edited by menJesus; Mar 7th 2008, 09:30 PM. Reason: sp
          Romans 15:30 KJV 30Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;

Comment

Both are important. You can't have close relationships and accountability with hundreds of people, so a "house church" is invaluable. However, we also need to experience corporate worship and a higher level of accountability to church leaders than breaking off into a bunch of "splinter groups."
            -
            "A fellow who is always declaring he's no fool usually has his suspicions."...........~Wilson Mizner

Comment

Originally posted by menJesus View Post
              But why not go to the church when you can? Why a home service instead?

And indeed, no one should be left out!
              Because Church is more than a building. It's wherever two or more are gathered in His name and He will be there

Comment

Originally posted by doppelganger View Post
                Both are important. You can't have close relationships and accountability with hundreds of people, so a "house church" is invaluable. However, we also need to experience corporate worship and a higher level of accountability to church leaders than breaking off into a bunch of "splinter groups."
                I agree.

My former Church had a very small congragation (less than 40 people) so the idea of a few being invited to attend home Church wasn't the best idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker of truth View Post
                  Because Church is more than a building. It's wherever two or more are gathered in His name and He will be there
                  Well, thats true, but in a home, no one is likely to walk in off the street for the service.

On the other hand, if the church is lit and open, people will often stop and attend the service. Sometimes they get saved and become members!

Plus, I always LOVED being in the church - any church! God`s house!

We used to go to homes because the pastor would not let us gather at the church, other than at the regularly scheduled times...

Comment

Contrary

Plus, I always LOVED being in the church - any church! God`s house!
                    The thought that "God is in the house", is contrary to the new covenant.
                    sigpicLife! Just Live It!
                    http://www.lifeblog.co.nr/

Comment

I love being in the Church as well

I also really like programs such as adopt-a-block to get others involved in the Church. Community Benevolent dinners are good too

Comment

Who is thinking that?

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker of truth View Post
                          I love being in the Church as well

I also really like programs such as adopt-a-block to get others involved in the Church. Community Benevolent dinners are good too
                          Well, I hear that mega-churches and home churches are the future homes of the churches...I don`t know...

Comment

Well, I hear that mega-churches and home churches are the future homes of the churches...I don`t know...
                            The Church I attend now has maybe 150 to 200 members. I am quite cmfortable there Nothing against the mega Churches. I jsut prefer a smaller Church.

Comment

Same here. It would be a sad thing to see all the little neighborhood churches close up.

Comment

Working...
                              X