Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is money the root of ALL EVIL or ALL KINDS OF EVIL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is money the root of ALL EVIL or ALL KINDS OF EVIL?

I've been reading 1 Timothy 6:10 in different versions of the Bible and they have different wording, which gives a totally different in meaning in my opinion.

NIV
    For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

KJV
    For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Any insight???

Well if you take the "all kinds" approach, I can totally see this. If you allow money to become a "god" to you then all [different] kinds of evil can stem out from this. For instance, if you try to get a lot of money, by many means, and then blow it all the time on the best, latest, newest, worldly things in life, then yes, I can see how all kinds of evil could come from this. It can just keep doing a "snowball" effect on you. Then maybe you take it a step further and tend to forget about giving money to the poor, charity, in the offering plate at church, because you are so focused on buying worldly posessions.

As for "all" evil, if that's what the Bible says then I have to trust it! I do, however, struggle with comprehending it because shouldn't all evil be said to have came from Eve in the Garden of Eden? (not that I disagree with Scripture!)

I personally can say that I do have a love of money. I have been in Bible college for approximately five years when it should have taken me three. The reason? I got money on my mind and started working full-time, then came the overtime hours. Do I regret it? Absolutely! My wife and I just had a baby so I especially need to keep this in mind now. I don't want to miss our little girl growing up, just to have gained paper money that I can't take with me in eternity.

Just my thoughts!

Comment

I believe the 'better' intepretation is 'all kinds' or 'all sorts' of evil. With that said, I don't believe the application changes all that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner87 View Post
        I've been reading 1 Timothy 6:10 in different versions of the Bible and they have different wording, which gives a totally different in meaning in my opinion.

NIV
        For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

KJV
        For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Any insight???
        IMHO they are pretty much saying the same thing. In both verses it isn't the money that is the problem but the love of it. People who put money, or anything else, first in their loves can never get enough of it and they will look at more and more ways to get it. The problem comes from loving money or whatever else to the point where it is god in their lives. They put it before the one true God. This then leads into all sorts of beliefs and actions that take them away from God. This is what the first of the ten commandments warns us against - Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Comment

To me this does say the same thing just in a different way...money is not evil...but what people do with/for it is very very evil

Comment

I tried digging up my Greek/English Bible, but can't find it (my area is Hebrew, not Greek). Maybe someone who knows a little something about Greek can shed a little light. But it would seem to me, though, that not ALL evil is rooted in money. Sexual sin, for example, quite often has nothing to do with money (but quite often it does...).

Comment

What's the difference between "all evil" and "all kinds of evil"?

The Bible says that each and every species of animal and plant reproduces after it's "kind" - as do we. If "all kinds" means "every variety", then money being the root of "every variety of evil" sounds very much like money being the root of "all evil."
              Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

I have always taken "money is the root of all evil" to mean that every act of evil can be traced back to money somehow. I don't think that is the case, but that is only my own understanding talking. Scripture is boss, not me.

Comment

I just want to point out something using both translations offered by the OP, which shows that there's a false premise here.

NIV: For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

KJV: For
                  the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

"Money" is not evil, nor is it the root of evil (be it all or all kinds of). "Money" isn't even the subject of the sentence! The subject of the sentence is LOVE of money. By cutting out those three words we horrendously pervert the meaning of the passages.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner87

NIV
                    For the {love} of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

KJV
                    For the {love} of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Any insight???

I think that the key is the love of money being the root of evil. I'm sure that if it doesn't affect your witness or testimony, then being able to appreciate the usefulness of money is not a bad thing. We do need money in todays world, but we need God more than anything.
                    .......................John 3:16.........................

My testimony:http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112657I hope that it inspires one and all

Comment

I've been reading 1 Timothy
                      6:10 in different versions of the Bible and they have different wording, which gives a totally different in meaning in my opinion.

NIV

KJV

Any insight???
                      If money is the root of all evil, then Lucifer fell because of his love of money, Adam & Eve fell for the money.
                      Common sense requires that it is only a root, not the root.

In the original Greek:
                      Ρίζα γὰρ πάντων των κακων εστιν η φιλαργυρία,
                      Root for all the evils is the love of money

Or
                      For a root of all of the evils is the love of money.

Comment

What Diolectic said. Exactly.

Except the Greek seems to imply the opposite?

Comment

Diolectic's post was perfect. If the love of money is the root of all evil, rather than all kinds of evil, then devil fell for the love of money. This is nonsense seeing that he has no use for cash.

The same problem for Adam & Eve. What good would a dollar do for them?

Suppose someone claims that it applies to all sin done today by humans. I find it difficult to explain why the love of money would cause a man to rape a women.

Love of money is not the root of all evil. It's simply the root of all kinds of evil.

Also, there are some people who don't have a struggle with loving money. If the love of money was the root of all evil, then those people who don't struggle with the love of money would be perfected today and sinless. However, no one is sinless.

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Comment

Here's another example. How does the love of money cause a toddler to sin?

In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. - Rupertus Meldenius

Read your Bible and pray every single day. - Pastor Jon Courson

If your grace ain't greasier than a bucket full of chitlin's and gravy, you might be a legalist - an internet friend.

Comment

How bout this verse folks.

Ezek 28:16
                              16 "By the abundance of your trade
                              You were internally filled with violence,
                              And you sinned;
                              Therefore I have cast you as profane
                              From the mountain of God.
                              And I have destroyed you, O covering cherub,
                              From the midst of the stones of fire.
                              NASB

I think the passage above can be broadly interpreted to mean coveting. Money is something that came along later to help with bartering. But covetousness has been with us for a long time.

It was Satan's trade that filled him with violence. How do you think he got all his angels to follow him?
                              Matt 9:13
                              13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                              NASU

Comment

Working...
                              X