Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear God....

Fearing God?

Are Christians to fear God? Why or why not?
    "Enter by the Narrow Gate...
    Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way...
    ... there are few who find it."

-----------------------------------------------

* All Scripture when quoted is taken from:

The New American Standard Bible®,
    Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973,
    1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation
    Used by permission." (www.Lockman.org)

Italics, bold, color and/or underline are added for emphasis

Originally posted by Redeemed by Grace View Post
    Fearing God?

Are Christians to fear God? Why or why not?
    Well . . . yeah . . .

Now, this shouldn't be an ignorant fear. We shouldn't be living in fear that God hates us or that He wants to bring all sorts of bad things upon us. However, we should live in reverance to God with respect to His authority over us and reverance for His position as God.
    "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

If we are to fear God, what then are we to fear?

Comment

"The fear of the Lord is to have sin."

For me, I am scared of those spankings that come with disobedience. Just an FYI, it's interesting to look at places where scripture speaks of fear concerning God and the root Greek word for fear. Also, we need to keep in mind that fear that has torment is not from the Lord.

When Abraham offered Isaac, God was pleased and said to Abraham "Now that I see you fear me..."
        Matt 9:13
        13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
        NASU

Comment

Do you think we as Christians, fear God?

Comment

And just to clarify, I am under the strong persuasion that we don't, or at least not as we should....

To start the ball, I submit the following...

Job 28:28 "And to man He said, 'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom;
            And to depart from evil is understanding.'"

Comment

If we are to fear God, what then are we to fear?
              I said that in my last post. The fear we are to have is that of reverance to God and respect for Him and His authority. It's just like any father and son relationship. No healthy father/son relationship has a negative fear where the child is trembling with dread just to be near the father, but the child has a reverance for the father because of his position of authority. The child looks up to the father and uses the father as his example for how he is supposed to act. Whenever a child is unruly then the father must discipline the son, and the son must be made aware that their actions are not acceptable. In this the father shows his love for the son, and the son respects/fears his father for it.
              "What you do does not define who you are; it's who you are that defines what you do."

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

The Greek word for fear is "phobia". Do I think most Christians fear God as we should? Probably not. But I have high hopes that the Lord will continue to teach us how to fear him as we grow in Him.
                13 "But go and learn what this means: ' I DESIRE COMPASSION,AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
                NASU

Comment

Should fear be more than respect, or more than reverence? Doesn’t fear also include consequences?

Luke 23:39,40
                  39 One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, "Are You not the Christ? Save Yourself and us!"
                  40 But the other answered, and rebuking him said, "Do you not even fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation?

Here we have a criminal set to pay the ultimate price for his sins, yet he was being rebuked by the other criminal for his lack of fear of God and implied further consequence?

I think as Christians, we have lost knowing what, how, and why to fear God, and miss this in our worship and relationship with Him.

Think about your prayer life, about your church life, do we lift up God in holy reverence with fear and trembling along with seeking His mercy, grace and love?

When was the last time we prayed something like Isaiah did as He saw the glory of God...

Isaiah 6:5 Then I said,
                  "Woe is me, for I am ruined!
                  Because I am a man of unclean lips,
                  And I live among a people of unclean lips;
                  For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."

So I submit for consideration, that we have lost or are losing that we are to rightfully and willingly to fear God, for He is sovereign and controls all things.

For His glory...

Comment

Isaiah 6:5 Then I said,
                    "Woe is me, for I am ruined!
                    Because I am a man of unclean lips,
                    And I live among a people of unclean lips;
                    For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."
                    Should we be crying out saying things like "we're men of unclean lips"?

Are we unclean? Didn't Jesus die so that we would not be unclean? I'm all for preaching humility. However, it needs to be based around true and biblical humility . . . not a false sense of humility.

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                      Should we be crying out saying things like "we're men of unclean lips"?

Are we unclean? Didn't Jesus die so that we would not be unclean? I'm all for preaching humilty. However, it needs to be based around true and biblical humilty . . . not a false sense of humility.

Hi VR,

Then let me clarify.... I'm saying we are losing the fear of the Lord in our daily walk..... I say that if we see how big God is and how small we are, we need to see that....

And I certainly think a christian needs to say that they are sinful, that they are dependant on Him, that they need Him to mold and change them, and that they see God as God and themselves as sinners saved by His grace. There is no difference in what Isaiah prayed and in the manner we should pray in part, so yes, we are unclean to a holy and righteous God...

Comment

When was the last time you heard someone teach on the fear of the Lord? I think it is a LOT more than reverence.
                        NASU

Comment

Then let me clarify.... I'm saying we are losing the fear of the Lord in our daily walk..... I say that if we see how big God is and how small we are, we need to see that....
                          Can you give me some examples on why you see us as "losing the fear of the Lord in our daily walk"?

And I certainly think a christian needs to say that they are sinful
                          Have I sinned? Sure. However, I'm not sure I like the terminology "sinful" because it kind of implies that this is all we do . . . just going about sinning all the time. That's not true. Or at least it shouldn't be. The Word states that we are free from sin and shouldn't be doing it. Therefore, that says to me that victory over sin should dominate the vast majority of your walk. Now, I will agree that this comes with maturity and growth in the Lord, but a person should progress in this area as they draw closer to the Lord.

that they are dependant on Him,
                          This is most certainly a requirement . . . I agree.

that they need Him to mold and change them,
                          No doubt about this one as well.

and that they see God as God and themselves as sinners saved by His grace.
                          And this is where I see you and I differing. Of course we need to see God as God, and I made this clear in my previous posts. However, I'm no longer just a "sinner saved by grace". That's what I was. The Word declares me now as a saint and a friend of Christ. I'm not just a poor pitiful ol' sinner anymore. That's just a doctrine of defeat, IMO. The wonderful work of Jesus Christ has changed all that.

There is not difference in what Isaiah prayed and in the manner we should pray, so yes, we are unclean to a holy and righteous God...
                          How are we unclean when we have the Spirit of God now indwelt within us and we have been cleansed from every unholy thing? This is the area where I don't relate to what you're saying, and I view it as false humility because it's not based around sound biblical doctrine. The Word teaches that Jesus Christ has cleansed us from all things unclean. In this we have been set free from sin and we are no longer in bondage to the things of this world. Therefore, why would I approach God with a "I'm just a worthless ol' sinner with unclean lips" sort of mindset when that is not indicative of what the Word says about me. That is the false humility I'm talking about. If it's not based around what the Word says about a born again believer then it's just false humility. Don't we now have access to the throneroom of grace, and can we not approach God now with boldness and confidence? Does the Word not say this also? If we can now approach the throne with boldness and confidence, why do we need to be saying things like, "Oh . . . I'm just a sinner . . . I'm a man of unclean lips . . . I'm not worthy . . . " and so on? That's not exactly bold and confident, wouldn't you agree?

-- Dr. Neil T. Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Mark View Post
                            When was the last time you heard someone teach on the fear of the Lord? I think it is a LOT more than reverence.

AMEN if you are saying that this is very important!

Comment

Originally posted by VerticalReality View Post
                              Can you give me some examples on why you see us as "losing the fear of the Lord in our daily walk"?

Have I sinned? Sure. However, I'm not sure I like the terminology "sinful" because it kind of implies that this is all we do . . . just going about sinning all the time. That's not true. Or at least it shouldn't be. The Word states that we are free from sin and shouldn't be doing it. Therefore, that says to me that victory over sin should dominate the vast majority of your walk. Now, I will agree that this comes with maturity and growth in the Lord, but a person should progress in this area as they draw closer to the Lord.

This is most certainly a requirement . . . I agree.

No doubt about this one as well.

And this is where I see you and I differing. Of course we need to see God as God, and I made this clear in my previous posts. However, I'm no longer just a "sinner saved by grace". That's what I was. The Word declares me now as a saint and a friend of Christ. I'm not just a poor pitiful ol' sinner anymore. That's just a doctrine of defeat, IMO. The wonderful work of Jesus Christ has changed all that.

How are we unclean when we have the Spirit of God now indwelt within us and we have been cleansed from every unholy thing? This is the area where I don't relate to what you're saying, and I view it as false humility because it's not based around sound biblical doctrine. The Word teaches that Jesus Christ has cleansed us from all things unclean. In this we have been set free from sin and we are no longer in bondage to the things of this world. Therefore, why would I approach God with a "I'm just a worthless ol' sinner with unclean lips" sort of mindset when that is not indicative of what the Word says about me. That is the false humility I'm talking about. If it's not based around what the Word says about a born again believer then it's just false humility. Don't we now have access to the throneroom of grace, and can we not approach God now with boldness and confidence? Does the Word not say this also? If we can now approach the throne with boldness and confidence, why do we need to be saying things like, "Oh . . . I'm just a sinner . . . I'm a man of unclean lips . . . I'm not worthy . . . " and so on? That's not exactly bold and confident, wouldn't you agree?

This topic shouldn't put brothers in Christ at odds VR.... the bottomline is that we are to fear God, yes or no?

If yes, then praise the Lord. If no, I plead with you to reconsider your position. No matter where we are in the faith, one thing stays with us, God is to be holy and righteous and to be feared....and to say anything else is false...

Matthew 10:28 "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Philippians 2:12 So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling;

Comment

Working...
                              X