Why is the Christian Sabbath on Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teke View Post
    Nobody needs to change any commandments, just the way they think about them.
    Christianity observes the Sabbath as a week, and as worship. The liturgical calendar of the OT is based on weeks, beginning with Passover bringing in Pentecost and the counting of weeks. When Israel failed to keep the feasts, they had but only to look toward God for repentance and begin anew with Passover at the Spring equinox. Meaning get back to their seven day cycle of feasts to the Lord.

Historically and biblically, this is the way that Israel and the Church have kept feasts to the Lord. And far as I know, you can't get seven days in one day, so it is a bit silly to try to. ie. keep one day and remember six others or some such thing

We worship God every week all week long. Christianity is a way of life, not a religion.
    Now there is another good argument to take to the throne.

"Gee, I know what you commandments says. That we are to keep the seventh day holy and all, and that we are commanded to work on the other six days - but I was thinking in a whole new paradigm! I just thought how much better your commandment would be if we just loved on you all week long and worked whenever we felt like it.

Oh! I almost forgot! We decided to change how you wanted us to remember your Feast Days too. Our way is actually better than yours. And we liked it so much that we taught millions if not billions of your children to do the same thing.

You know, its not really like disobedience. It's kinda like what King Saul did, keeping the cattle to sacrifice to you. You know our heart, right? So, what do you think?

The heart of man is filled with WHAT continually? What do you mean obedience is greater than sacrifice!

Lord! Lord!"

Shalom

sigpicWhile scripture is inspired, the understanding of its true meanings are most often just the opposite. Contextual understanding of scripture has fallen victim to ignorance and apathy. It has been corrupted by a desperate adherence to the traditions of man and the agendas of the reprobate mind.

Comment

• If we thought of the scriptures and the historical record as evidence and analyzed it in that fashion...

(think about it for a moment instead of protesting your innocence)

...there is no argument made in this thread that would keep the accused
      from being charged, tried and convicted in a court of law. And even with the greatest Counselor as our Advocate we would still be found guilty. Why? Because we would be convicted out of our own testimony.

We knowingly transgress and do not repent. Look up the penalty for that in scripture, OT or NT...

And btw, Shabbat Shalom!
      Shalom

sigpicWhile scripture is inspired, the understanding of its true meanings are most often just the opposite. Contextual understanding of scripture has fallen victim to ignorance and apathy. It has been corrupted by a desperate adherence to the traditions of man and the agendas of the reprobate mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by talmidim View Post
        Now there is another good argument to take to the throne.

"Gee, I know what you commandments says. That we are to keep the seventh day holy and all, and that we are commanded to work on the other six days - but I was thinking in a whole new paradigm! I just thought how much better your commandment would be if we just loved on you all week long and worked whenever we felt like it.

Oh! I almost forgot! We decided to change how you wanted us to remember your Feast Days too. Our way is actually better than yours. And we liked it so much that we taught millions if not billions of your children to do the same thing.
        What are you saying Talmidim, we're only holy on the seventh day....the seventh day is only holy......
        If such is true, then why didn't Jesus rise on the holiest day of the week according to your tables of stone. Or why don't we just do good deeds only on that one day you appointed for us.

Just don't see your reasoning of this subject.

Here is another thread on the subject in reference to Matthew 28:1. Perhaps you can explain our error.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teke View Post
          What are you saying Talmidim, we're only holy on the seventh day....the seventh day is only holy......
          If such is true, then why didn't Jesus rise on the holiest day of the week according to your tables of stone.
          Because He was resting! I'm teasing! But seriously, we need to get away from the 'my day's better than your day' mentality. It's not about one day being better than another, for me. It's about God telling His people to 'remember' a particular day as a reminder of His creation work. That's not hard and I don't find it a burden.

God Bless!
          II Timothy 2:15
          Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
          Read My Testimony sigpic Visit Our Website

Comment

• And btw, Shabbat Shalom!

Shabbat Shalom Tal! Praise YHWH that He made this day FOR us instead of against us.

Mar 2:27And He said unto them, The sabbath was made for man
            Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
            -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

• Talmidim, i will reply to your post soon, but as i havent the time currently you will have to wait a little. Look forward to our discussion though.
              "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
              -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

• Originally posted by talmidim View Post
                I was just phrasing your argument in such a way as to show how ridiculous it sounds. But like I say, if that is what you want to believe then you get to try the same argument with Him. Good luck with that.
                Christians won't have any reason to argue with God over the Sabbath and what it is.
                1Peter 3:15
                (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

• Originally posted by Studyin'2Show View Post
                  Because He was resting! I'm teasing! But seriously, we need to get away from the 'my day's better than your day' mentality. It's not about one day being better than another, for me. It's about God telling His people to 'remember' a particular day as a reminder of His creation work. That's not hard and I don't find it a burden.

God Bless!
                  To be completely honest, God didn't tell people any such thing.

Comment

• Huh?

Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,...

Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
                    Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
                    Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
                    Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
                    Shalom

Comment

• Is that the explanation for sabbath meaning both a day and a week.

Comment

• Teke, what are you saying?

Keeping the Sabbath means to cease your work on the seventh day. It occurs by definition once a week.

Shalom

Comment

Working...
                        X