No announcement yet.

Why is the Christian Sabbath on Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is the Christian Sabbath on Sunday?

Especially in light of this verse:

Exodus 31:17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel forever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested...

Christians celebrate Christ's ressurection on a Sunday, but I don't see why we don't also celebrate the Creation on a Saturday. This won't make me popular... but I do tend to think that Friday sunset to Saturday sunset is Sabbath.
    Please could everyone pray for Mieke and Charles.

My testimony http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthr...ight=testimony

Comment

Originally posted by Fenris View Post

Exodus 31:17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel forever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested...
      Fenris,

First of all, it is not a 'shabbat' per se. It is not a day when we do no labor. There is no such prohibition.

But as Daughter said, it is because we celebrate His resurrection. And in this regard, we, by faith 'enter into His rest'. For by faith we have ceased from our works fro righteousness.

So you could say Christ is our shabbat!

But as far as your 'forever' statement, there are many such in Scripture. And they do not always mean forever. Just like the blood offering are not 'forever'. Or the Levites offering blood offerings.

Do you really think we will 'work' 'forever'? Do you really think there will 'always' be a 'need' for the shabbat?

Christ fulfilled all the Law of Moses. And as He said, 'It is finished'. And one day we can say, 'it is finished', 'forever'. But even now we, by faith in Him, have entered into His 'rest'.

2Witnesses

Comment

Originally posted by daughter View Post
        Christians celebrate Christ's ressurection on a Sunday, but I don't see why we don't also celebrate the Creation on a Saturday. This won't make me popular... but I do tend to think that Friday sunset to Saturday sunset is Sabbath.
        Hmm. Interesting.

Comment

So many good questions and yet only one lifetime to seek the answers.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Witnesses View Post
            First of all, it is not a 'shabbat' per se. It is not a day when we do no labor. There is no such prohibition.
            I thought some do. Isn't that why some states have blue laws?
            Maybe I'm mistaken though.
            But as far as your 'forever' statement, there are many such in Scripture. And they do not always mean forever. Just like the blood offering are not 'forever'. Or the Levites offering blood offerings.
            Well, the verse says it is a sign forever. Forever means forever, so far as I know. Even the sacrifices that were 'forever' will be done again, when the Temple is rebuilt.
            Do you really think we will 'work' 'forever'? Do you really think there will 'always' be a 'need' for the shabbat?
            As a sign between man and God? Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by HisLeast View Post
              So many good questions and yet only one lifetime to seek the answers.
              No, no. In the hereafter all will be revealed. To the capacity that each individual is capable of...

Comment

I thought some do. Isn't that why some states have blue laws?
                Maybe I'm mistaken though.
                Well, the verse says it is a sign forever. Forever means forever, so far as I know. Even the sacrifices that were 'forever' will be done again, when the Temple is rebuilt.
                As a sign between man and God? Why not?
                Fenris,

When we are last redeemed, we will BE in His presence, and not need any 'signs'.

Many states use to have blue laws. I cannot think of any now. Some churches pushed them. But they have all gone soft. Or is that 'south'?

One day ALL death will end, as I see it. This would include animals. But why? would you need a blood offering in the redemption? (especially since they do not atone).

Here in Israel, everything starts shutting down before 3pm. Many in Israel do not like this. I personally think a day of rest is important. But I would not pass a law. Shabbat is in the heart, and in the tongue.

2Witnesses

Comment

Fenris,

When we are last redeemed, we will BE in His presence, and not need any 'signs'.
                  Since that hasn't happened yet, maybe we still need signs?
                  Many states use to have blue laws. I cannot think of any now. Some churches pushed them. But they have all gone soft. Or is that 'south'?
                  So weren't the blue laws about not working on the sabbath?

Comment

Since that hasn't happened yet, maybe we still need signs?
                    So weren't the blue laws about not working on the sabbath?
                    Fenris,

We have a 'sign' with us. It is called a cross. But if you desire a shabath sign, then keep it. That is nothing to me.

And yes, they were churches that felt Christians had a shabath. But, the thinking has changed. And for good reason!

2Witnesses

But if you 'seek after a sign', I would hope it would be the cross
                    Last edited by 2Witnesses; Mar 10th 2008, 06:20 PM. Reason: stuff

Comment

Fenris,

We have a 'sign' with us. It is called a cross. But if you desire a shabath sign, then keep it. That is nothing to me.
                      It's not about what I desire. It's about what God told us to do.

Comment

It's not about what I desire. It's about what God told us to do.
                        You,

Are so right. And one thing He told you to do was to listen to the Prophet who was to come after Moses, who would be like Moses.

Now, I am sure you have a different view, but 'like Moses' means to me He would be a 'law giver' sent by God. He would be the one to bring that 'new covenant' Jeremiah speaks. And I do mean 'new', not re-newed.

2Witnesses

Fenris,

I know what you are thinking. I know Moses said not to listen to any so called prophet that would lead you from the Law. But Jesus did not do that. He IS the fulfillment of the Law. He is Shabbat! He is Passover. He is Love!
                        Last edited by 2Witnesses; Mar 10th 2008, 06:49 PM. Reason: stuff

Comment

Christianity didn't change the sabbath day to Sunday.

"Blue laws" are from 17th century Puritans' and their laws of morality, which carried very harsh penalties. For example, a five-shilling fine for absence from church on the Lord's Day. For a burglary committed on Sunday, in addition to the usual penalties the burglar had an ear cut off, and a third Sunday burglary meant the death penalty, there being no more ears. Lying or swearing earned time in the stocks. There were fines for playing cards, dice, or shuffleboard in public. Drinkers at inns were limited to half a pint of wine, and no alcohol was served after 9 P.M.

The sabbath is still the seventh day, Saturday. Sunday is the first day of the week, and what Christians call the Lord's Day (day of the Resurrection).

Comment

Originally posted by Teke View Post
                            Christianity didn't change the sabbath day to Sunday.

The sabbath is still the seventh day, Saturday. Sunday is the first day of the week, and what Christians call the Lord's Day (day of the Resurrection).
                            Ah, finally. OK, that answers that question.

Comment

You,

Are so right. And one thing He told you to do was to listen to the Prophet who was to come after Moses, who would be like Moses.
                              Well, there were many such prophets.

Now, I am sure you have a different view, but 'like Moses' means to me He would be a 'law giver' sent by God.
                              If you're going to pick nits, Jesus didn't give laws, he took laws away.
                              He would be the one to bring that 'new covenant' Jeremiah speaks. And I do mean 'new', not re-newed.
                              It says 'new covenant', not 'new law'.

I know what you are thinking. I know Moses said not to listen to any so called prophet that would lead you from the Law. But Jesus did not do that. He IS the fulfillment of the Law. He is Shabbat! He is Passover. He is Love!
                              I don't even know what that means.

Comment

Working...
                              X