Clothing pleasing to God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothing pleasing to God

When did beauty turn into having to be sexy. The other day when I was out I was noticing how women are just not beautiful anymore. It's hard to see the inward beauty because of the outward things showing.

Just a word for the young women in here you will be judged one day for everything you do and say. And if you cause a man to stumble because you are showing things that you shouldn't be showing it would be better for you to have a mill stone tied around your neck and thrown into the bottom of the ocean.

Very good point Jennifer!!

when I was a young woman - coming out of human secularism, a halter top was my top of choice - a Preacher's wife took me aside and gave me something to think about. If you see a hooker wearing it, you can pretty much be sure it's probably to titilate their clientel, so should women of the church be wearing the same thing?

I found I couldn't bring my young son's to the biking/running/walking paths (for gym) because women there saw nothing wrong with walking around in their bras!!

I also heard a radio preacher say "If you're obsessing over the outward man, the inward man is being neglected."
    "He comforts us in all our trouble, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in every trouble, through the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God." 2 Cor 1:4

"forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead," Phil 3:13

"For our citizenship is in heaven, ..." Phil 3:20

Click here if you were wounded spiritually after abortion.
    Click here if you are pregnant and need help.
    Click here if you have been raped and are looking for help

Comment

i agree with both posts. I know when i was in school, i hung around a lot of guys and they would always comment on what girls were wearing, or what they would like to do with said girls. (most of them weren't Christians unfortunately). I never wanted to be an object in men's eyes and have thankfully worn little clothing that reveals much of anything.

Now that my brother is in high school, i just wish everyone else had the same view as me. I hate to see my brother struggle over something that shouldn't be an issue. Especially when he feels he has to question his feelings for a Christian girl based on how she acts and what she wears.

Comment

More than 100 years ago it was uncalled for a woman to show their calves and now it is WEIRD if a girl wears a long dress.

One of the reasons for this change is because it is assumed that the less inhibited a woman is (sexually), the more "free" she is.

I do agree that women need to feel safe and free with their sexuality BUT with their husbands!!

It seems the Devil has taken a positive revolution and twisted it around to erase the 'safe' boundaries where and when this type of sexual freedom belongs.

Hence we have birth control, abortion, Sex in the City and teenage sex (just to name a few).

I have been reading the book of Esther lately and it's very interesting how she gained favor of the King. She (apparently) was a very beautiful girl but there is not a lot written about her jewelry or clothes.

It seems she had what Peter was describing: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...5;&version=50;
        Matthew 27:55
        And many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him.

Comment

What's amazing is, in my classroom, the most beautiful girls I have aren't the ones who are wearing the short shorts and showing their cleavage (those girls the guys remarkably shy away from) but it's the ones who are somewhat opinionated (not afraid to share how they feel) in an eloquent, non-threatening way who are generally covered to the best of their ability (some of them really have no choice when it comes to some of their clothing as stores market to the s*x-crazed society. It's hard for ME to find shorts that are an appropriate length just to wear to the state parks with my husband!)

It's also usually those same quiet girls who end up making the most of high school because they're more interested in being social, not s*xual and making the guys who want to be around them find them (they're too busy with clubs, theater, chorus, sports and - yes - youth groups to be bothered with much of the teen culture). Those girls are few and far between, but they thankfully exist. I've seen more of them in the past two years...so maybe the culture is changing some!

(Plus, we keep the school, building frigid to avoid the spaghetti strap and halter stuff. Many of the girls wear them, but they put jackets on so they won't freeze in class! Smart, eh?)
          "People aren't confused by the gospel...
          They're confused by us.
          Jesus is the only way to God,
          But we are not the only way to Jesus.
          This word world doesn't need my tie, my hoodie,
          My denomination or my translation of the Bible.
          They just need Jesus...
          Jesus is going to save the world,
          But, maybe, the best thing we can do
          Is just get out of the way."

~"What This World Needs"~
          ~Casting Crowns ~

Tradition doesn't save you, Christ does.
          Don't strap yourself to the Gospel.

Comment

1 Timothy 2:9-10
            9I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

This is understandable because when we dress like this, it draws more attention to the outside instead of the inside and who we are. We've seen in our society today what happens when men and women worry more about the outside of themselves than the inside...they struggle with eating disorders and low self esteem. They do everything they can to make their outer image look great but do nothing to their inner self. When my daughter was young, and we'd talk about strangers, I'd give her the example of the apple. You may see a beautiful shiny apple that looks wonderful on the outside but when you open it up, it may be ugly on the inside. On the other hand, you find an apple that has many flaws, dents and dings on the outside, but when you open it up it may be flawless and good on the inside so never judge people by their appearance because it's not what's on the outside that counts, but what's on the inside that matters and that is how God judges us...not by our appearance but by how we are on the inside:

1 Samuel 16:7
            But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Galatians 2:6
            As for those who seemed to be important—whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not judge by external appearance—those men added nothing to my message.

Live your life in such a
            way that, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

"Oh NO.... she's awake!"

Slug1: No, I have it so short I can't comb it to the side like before

cheechamia: ken...dear...honey...you have NO hair to comb on the side!!!
            sigpic

Comment

In my Sunday school class of teenagers, when I first started, the girls came in wearing low cut shirts, I would ask, "Oh did you wear that for Dan today?" ( a boy in the class..) they would say, "no"...I would then ask "Oh, so maybe you wore it for Katie's father?" and they would be shocked, "or perhaps for my nephew who is only11 years old?"
              My point to them is what you show is a show for all!

They have changed the way they dressed for church...Praise the Lord.
              .................The message of the cross divides the human race." ~MW~

........ ... " LORD, I beseech thee, let now thine ear be attentive to the prayer of thy servant..."
              .................................................. .................................................. ...Nehemiah 1:11a

Comment

Originally posted by karenoka27 View Post
                In my Sunday school class of teenagers, when I first started, the girls came in wearing low cut shirts, I would ask, "Oh did you wear that for Dan today?" ( a boy in the class..) they would say, "no"...I would then ask "Oh, so maybe you wore it for Katie's father?" and they would be shocked, "or perhaps for my nephew who is only11 years old?"
                My point to them is what you show is a show for all!

They have changed the way they dressed for church...Praise the Lord.

We had a 14-yr. old girl in our church who was very well-endowed. She wore very revealing tank tops. When she would bend over, you could see clear to her waist. One of the boys in the church made a comment to his dad that he was embarrassed by her. Isn't that something? Our pastor's wife took the girl aside and in a very loving way, explained to her what was happening. The girl and her mother were very defensive, got angry, and the entire family left the church. What a shame that the girl was given the approval of her family to flaunt herself in this manner.

I like your idea. I'm glad I have the younger kids to teach. Things like this aren't a problem yet, and I have the chance to teach them how to be modest before they reach teen years. I can only pray that the teaching "lasts" that long.

God Bless.
                "I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." Psalm 9:2

Comment

Thankfully in Australia for the last couple of years the fashion has been clothes that cover all the areas on your body. There is no pressure to wear a midriff top (its considered skanky) and long dresses are in

I completly agree that girls are wearing awful clothes to church, but I'm just saying I'm so thankful there is an alternative! I was with a girl yesterday who is doing bible school this year and she had a short short skirt on and I could see right down her bum crack it doesn't even look 'sexy'.. I wonder how all her class mates go looking down her butt hole and how her teachers deal with it.

I was just reading about Jessica Alba on Wikapedia last week and found this..

Alba was raised Catholic and still considers herself "spiritual".[2] In her adolescence, she became a born-again Christian,[23] but left the church after four years because she felt she was being judged for her appearance, explaining:
                  “Older men would hit on me, and my youth pastor said it was because I was wearing provocative clothing, when I wasn't. It just made me feel like if I was in any way desirable to the opposite sex that it was my fault, and it made me ashamed of my body and being a woman.”
                  Alba also had objections to the church's condemnations of premarital sex and homosexuality, and the lack of strong female role models in the Bible, explaining:
                  I thought it was a nice guide, but it certainly wasn't how I was going to live my life.[3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_alba

I was pretty shocked reading it!

I guess what shocked me most was her saying there wasn't many strong female roll modles in the bible.. hello.. has she read Esther, Mary, Ruth & Naomi?

Comment

Clothing on girls

Originally posted by h2jo View Post
                    Thankfully in Australia for the last couple of years the fashion has been clothes that cover all the areas on your body. There is no pressure to wear a midriff top (its considered skanky) and long dresses are in

I completly agree that girls are wearing awful clothes to church, but I'm just saying I'm so thankful there is an alternative! I was with a girl yesterday who is doing bible school this year and she had a short short skirt on and I could see right down her bum crack it doesn't even look 'sexy'.. I wonder how all her class mates go looking down her butt hole and how her teachers deal with it.

I was just reading about Jessica Alba on Wikapedia last week and found this..

Alba was raised Catholic and still considers herself "spiritual".[2] In her adolescence, she became a born-again Christian,[23] but left the church after four years because she felt she was being judged for her appearance, explaining:
                    “Older men would hit on me, and my youth pastor said it was because I was wearing provocative clothing, when I wasn't. It just made me feel like if I was in any way desirable to the opposite sex that it was my fault, and it made me ashamed of my body and being a woman.”
                    Alba also had objections to the church's condemnations of premarital sex and homosexuality, and the lack of strong female role models in the Bible, explaining:
                    I thought it was a nice guide, but it certainly wasn't how I was going to live my life.[3]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_alba

I was pretty shocked reading it!

I guess what shocked me most was her saying there wasn't many strong female roll modles in the bible.. hello.. has she read Esther, Mary, Ruth & Naomi?

Your story reminds me of a shopping trip I took to the local mall a while back. I was sitting at the food court, having a snack, when I noticed two teenage girls walking through the mall. One was dressed very conservatively - slacks and a sweater. The other one was wearing a skimpy little tank top with her bra showing at the top, and a little denim skirt that was so short that her undies were hanging out the bottom. Now, she was really "strutting her stuff" through that mall. There were quite a few groups of teenage boys in the mall also. I started watching them to see what their reaction was to her. I was amazed to see that the majority of them were making fun of her, not admiring her. They were snickering, pointing, and making uncomplimentary remarks about her as she walked by. I don't know how she could have not heard them, but it didn't seem to bother her at all. Had I been her companion, I probably would have asked her to walk behind me so no one would know we were together.

There was a girl in my daughter's English class who wore a mini skirt so short the teacher would not permit her to sit down. She had to stand through the whole class. But she was allowed to go the whole day like that. Where was her mother?

I'm thankful that my daughter was always one to dress modestly. She just wasn't interested in all the skimpy stuff and never asked for anything like that.
                    "I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High." Psalm 9:2

Comment

Originally posted by graceforme View Post
                      Your story reminds me of a shopping trip I took to the local mall a while back. I was sitting at the food court, having a snack, when I noticed two teenage girls walking through the mall. One was dressed very conservatively - slacks and a sweater. The other one was wearing a skimpy little tank top with her bra showing at the top, and a little denim skirt that was so short that her undies were hanging out the bottom. Now, she was really "strutting her stuff" through that mall. There were quite a few groups of teenage boys in the mall also. I started watching them to see what their reaction was to her. I was amazed to see that the majority of them were making fun of her, not admiring her. They were snickering, pointing, and making uncomplimentary remarks about her as she walked by. I don't know how she could have not heard them, but it didn't seem to bother her at all. Had I been her companion, I probably would have asked her to walk behind me so no one would know we were together.
                      Yep I've actually noticed the same thing..! My friend went out to a club one night and she just wore jeans, t'shirt and thongs (that you wear on your feet, not g-strings) and that many guys went up to talk to her and asked for her number.. but there were all these other girls standing around dressed up to the nines with everything hanging out and they didn't even recognise them. I think even NON christian men appreciate a girl who doesn't walk around like a show off.

Comment

Well, most people, Alba included, don't like it when they're told they're doing something wrong...we call it conviction, they call it condemnation.

While I'm all for including people of all walks and positions (ie. "What This World Needs" - - - "What this world needs is for people to care more about the inside than the outside...God's gotta change her heart before he changes her shirt...") I think it's inexcusable for young women who are Christians and especially those from Christian homes to parade themselves around as objects to be lusted after claiming that it's not their fault if the guys look and lust.

When an unchurched girl comes in, I don't care how she's dressed - as long as she's getting the gospel. She'll be transformed from the inside out if loved on and cared for as the church should.

It's those who know better who should really be focused on in church settings.

My church's youth camp has actual clothing standards, and if they cannot meet them, we bring clothing to give them that is acceptable rather than just telling them they cannot come. They don't want to run the risk of those girls leaving and never returning because they felt condemned before accepted. Condemnation is bad...conviction from your heart changing may be uncomfortable, but it is good overall.

We really cannot blame those who are not Christians for not behaving like Christians. They don't understand, they don't have the convictions. Those need to have people reach past their appearances and into their hearts to lead them to the savior who cares about their beautiful, torn souls rather than be told to go home unless they can dress our way when they see nothing wrong with their way yet.
                        "People aren't confused by the gospel...
                        They're confused by us.
                        Jesus is the only way to God,
                        But we are not the only way to Jesus.
                        This word world doesn't need my tie, my hoodie,
                        My denomination or my translation of the Bible.
                        They just need Jesus...
                        Jesus is going to save the world,
                        But, maybe, the best thing we can do
                        Is just get out of the way."

~"What This World Needs"~
                        ~Casting Crowns ~

Tradition doesn't save you, Christ does.
                        Don't strap yourself to the Gospel.

Comment

I agree LIW, thats what I figured about Alba.. if she had really been changed by the inside out then she would see it as a conviction and want to be more pleasing to the Lord, not herself.

It says in the bible (I have no idea where ) that we have the responisibitly to judge Christians, but its only God's job to judge non christians.

I liked that.. we call in conviction, they call in condemnation.

Comment

I agree and have noticed the same thing. It's something like when you buy something that was the 'floor model', you get a discount. Most people want what's been kept safely in the box.... not out on display for everyone to see and try out.

My son is 21 and has been married for almost two years. Girls immodesty always really bugged him... a lot. The first thing that drew him to his wife was her more modest style of dressing. It's one of the first things he told me about her: "You'll like her mama! She dresses modestly!" I do like her and for far more than that. She actually spent time on her character instead of her 'looks'.

You know, teens running around dressed inappropriately is sad, but when grown women do it... it makes me really angry and I pity their husbands. The husbands are being disrespected and dishonored by foolish women.
                            I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrus...

All children left unattended will be given an espresso and a free puppy.

Comment

That just goes along with what I said in another thread earlier- The guys don't take the tramps home to mom. (they sleep with them then cast them aside)
                              I also like the idea of giving someone a shirt to wear over theirs, if their shirt is inappropriate. Changing thier heart comes first, then the clothes. But it is so sad that girls don't realize they are putting stumbling blocks before their brothers in Christ.

I have never found anyone, however religious and devout who did not sometimes experience withdrawal of grace, or feel a lessening of devotion. -Thomas a Kempis

If You Need Help, Ask God. If You Don't, Thank God. -Unknown

The devil is a better theologian than any of us and is a devil still. -A.W. Tozer

Comment

Working...
                              X