Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus died on Thursday, not Friday

Jesus Died on Thursday, Not Friday
    We are informed by the Holy Scriptures that Jesus rose from the dead very early on the first day of the week, which is Sunday. Since Jesus made it very plain that he was to be in the heart of the earth (dead and buried) for three days and three nights, (Matt. 12:40) let us now count the days and nights from late Friday afternoon to early Sunday morning to see if it works. First the nights: Friday night and Saturday night. He rose early Sunday so there is no way to get any more than these two nights. Now let us count the days: From late Friday afternoon there is only Saturday's full daylight period to count. By this, he would have risen on the second day. So here, we have only two nights and he is risen on the second day. This is not what Jesus emphatically prophesied. Jonah was in the belly of the whale for three days and three nights. Jesus confidently assured his apostles that he was to be in the heart of the earth for the same length of time. By accepting that Jesus died on Friday, we must contradict the words of Him who had power to lay down his life and had power to take it again (John 10:17,18).
    Obviously, the idea that He died on Friday doesn’t work. There is a day missing. What happened?
    The reason why it is believed that He died on Friday is because the scriptures plainly tell us that a sabbath day immediately followed his death. It is precisely at this point where the error occurred. It is assumed that the sabbath following his death was a normal sabbath day (Saturday). However, the Scriptures clearly reveal that the day following Passover was always a special sabbath (rest day) that would fall on different days of the week from year to year because Passover was set on a fixed date.
    On the fourteenth day of the first month (Abib), Jesus ate the Passover (the last supper) with his apostles in accordance with the rules given by Moses. All the Jews observed these laws. This meal is eaten after the sun goes down which is the very beginning of the Jewish twenty-four hour "day". (We reckon our days from midnight to midnight but the Jews reckon from sundown to sundown.) So, before the sun went down again, Jesus had been apprehended, tried, crucified and laid in the tomb. (The Lamb of God died on Passover day, see 1 Cor. 5:7.) But remember, they were urgent to get his body in the tomb before the sun went down because that coming day (which began at sundown) was a sabbath day. That fifteenth day of the month was a sabbath day every single year no matter what day of the week it happened to fall on. On this particular year, Passover fell on a Thursday; Friday the 15th was the special sabbath and Saturday was the normal sabbath. So using this model, let us again count the nights first: Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night. Now let us count the days: Friday's daylight and Saturday's daylight. He was seen alive on Sunday, the third daylight after he was killed.
    By this, we see that by the time the sun rose Sunday morning, the third twenty-four hour Jewish day since Jesus died (sundown Saturday to sundown Sunday) was already about half way through. If someone includes Thursday (sundown Wednesday to sundown Thursday) when counting the 24 hour days (since that is the day in which he was buried) then it is reasonable to say that he arose "after three days". On the other hand, if someone begins counting from after sundown (which is more commonly done since he was laid in the tomb just prior to sundown on Thursday) then it is also correct to say that he rose "in three days" or "on the third day”.
    Whether we focus on this 24 hour aspect or on the distinction between daytime and night time periods, the fact remains that all three night time periods are accounted for if we accept that the sabbath following his death was not a normal Saturday sabbath. The three nights, which Jesus specified, (Matt. 12:40) cannot be accounted for by the Good Friday model. Also, the Good Friday doctrine cannot accommodate the phrase “after three days”, which is found in Mark 8:31 and Matt. 27:63,64
    Why, you say, is this important? By this very practical and proven understanding of how the Jews kept the Passover, we need no longer imply, by conceding to the Good Friday doctrine, that Jesus was not in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights. Ignorantly sowing doubt in the hearts of others about the dependability of God's Word is not something that someone who has the love of God wants to do. There is no way anyone is going to get three days and three nights from Friday evening to Sunday morning. Uncertainty and doubt is the natural effect in the hearts of those who have read Jesus' prophesy that he would be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights but who are then misinformed that he died on Friday. Those who have a zeal to defend the preserved written Word and to oppose error, will be blessed by the knowledge that the sabbath day immediately following the Passover was not a normal sabbath but a special sabbath that occurred every year on a set date and which could fall on any day of the week. This accounts for that missing day.
    All of the New Testament references fit comfortably into this model. They are listed below. After these, you will find the Old Testament references that verify that the fifteenth of that month was in fact a "high day".
    Matt 12:40 Matt 16:21 Matt 17:23 Matt 20:19 Matt 27:63,64 Mark 8:31 Mark 9:31 Mark 10:34 Mark 14:58 Mark 15:29 Luke 18:33 Luke 24:7 Luke 24:46 John 2:19 John 2:20,21 Acts 10:40 1 Cor. 15:4
    Lev 23:2-8 Numbers 28:16-19,25 Exodus 12:15-16
    Exodus 12:17 Numbers 33:3 Exodus 12:42
    This is irrefutable evidence that the fifteenth day of the first month was set aside as a holy convocation (sabbath). It was a day to be remembered because that was the day the children of Israel came out of Egypt.
    John 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. See also Luke 24:52-54 Mark 15:42,43 Matt. 27:62
    So the answer was in the Scriptures all along: "that sabbath day was an high day".
    L.T.J.

You may freely copy and distribute this article as long as the text is not altered in any way and that the author's initials, L.T.J. remain as part of the text.

I beg to differ, Jesus died on the Friday, but we've been through this only two weeks ago, in fact its still on page one of this forum. How I see it is, literalists like yourself just have to have 72 hours where those of us who see things symbolically can see that Friday at 3 pm till Sunday morning early is three days. But hey, one day we will really know, so until then, keep posting!

RJ Mac

Comment

Actually RJ, that would be the "three days and three nights" arguement. You couldn't get 72 hours with Jesus' death at 3pm and having been risen by early the morning of the first day of the week. He would have to have risen then at 3pm on Sunday which we know for sure isn't true.

The 72 hour arguement actually has Jesus' death on Wednesday. Then the 72 hours has Jesus rising on the sabbath and thus ready to greet the women Sunday morning.

Anyway, I agree with you regarding Friday being the day of the Crucifixion.

God Bless!
      Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

Where's the third night then? You only have Friday and Saturday night!

Comment

Many believe He was crucified on a Wednesday, which would give us three days and nights. Also, a day begins at sundown on the Hebrew calendar, so when the Scriptures say that the women arrived at the tomb at the dawning of the first day, they likely arrived at the tomb at what is known as our sundown on Saturday(at the end of the Sabbath).

Mat 28:1In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
          Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
          -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

Originally posted by diffangle View Post
            Many believe He was crucified on a Wednesday, which would give us three days and nights. Also, a day begins at sundown on the Hebrew calendar, so when the Scriptures say that the women arrived at the tomb at the dawning of the first day, they likely arrived at the tomb at what is known as our sundown on Saturday(at the end of the Sabbath).

Mat 28:1In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
            The issue is clarified for us though. It clearly was Sunday morning when the women came to the tomb and not soon after 6pm.

Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Luke 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre.

3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.

John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

God Bless!
            Watchinginawe

I Samuel 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

Comment

I'm not looking to get into a deep debate but it is my understanding (just my opinion) that Jesus died on a Wednesday.

The following Thursday was a sabbath feast day, and the people requested that all three of the bodies
              be brought down from the cross before the sabbath feast day which would have started at sun down on a
              Wednesday. Therein lies the three days and three nights of Jonah with Jesus being dead:

Wednesday night, Thursday night, and Friday night
              Thursday, Friday, and Saturday

I guess this would also show that when the ladies went to the tomb on the first day of the week-a Sunday,
              Jesus had already risen-not on Sunday, but on the Saturday Sabbath. The Bible tells us that the ladies
              went to the tomb on the first day of the week. It doesn't state that Jesus rose on the first day of the week.
              Based on the three days and three nights of Jonah, he could not have risen on the first day of the week or else
              he would have been dead for four nights instead of three.

Comment

Originally posted by watchinginawe View Post
                The issue is clarified for us though. It clearly was Sunday morning when the women came to the tomb and not soon after 6pm.

Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Luke 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.

John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

God Bless!
                Just b/c the women didn't come to the tomb until morning doesn't mean that He didn't rise Sat. evening. The Scriptures don't say whether or not it was morning when He rose.

Mar 16:9Now when [Jesus] was risen early the first [day] of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
                Thus says YHWH, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls.
                -Jeremiah 6:16

Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29

Comment

Originally posted by 9Marksfan View Post
                  Where's the third night then? You only have Friday and Saturday night!
                  Well, that is what the two sabbath arguement is about. Three nights beginning with Thursday night. For me, I am OK with the "on the third day" reckoning of Jesus' resurrection.

Though it might seem problematic with Jesus' "three nights" statement, for me, the account of the women resting the sabbath before returning to the tomb on Sunday is pretty straight forward. We can suppose they rested two days, and I don't really have a problem with making it work out with two sabbaths, but I don't have an inclincation to have to make it work out in such a way that seems to contradict the accounts given. In this case, for me, the scriptures are in complete agreement with tradition.

God Bless!
                  Watchinginawe

Comment

Originally posted by diffangle View Post
                    Just b/c the women didn't come to the tomb until morning doesn't mean that He didn't rise Sat. evening. The Scriptures don't say whether or not it was morning when He rose.

Mar 16:9Now when [Jesus] was risen early the first [day] of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
                    I believe the scriptures do indicate the same for Jesus. But, I wasn't responding to that, I was responding to:
                    Originally posted by diffangle
                    they likely arrived at the tomb at what is known as our sundown on Saturday(at the end of the Sabbath).
                    So, we start with the discovery of the empty tomb and that was clearly in the morning.

As for when Jesus rose, for me, I believe it is indicated in the following. Also, this is in agreement with the rest of the acount. Also, Jesus said he would rise on the third day. In any case:

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.

3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:

4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.

5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.

6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

Now, we know that the tomb was guarded until the keepers became as dead men. Of course Jesus did not need the stone rolled away by an angel, but it makes sense that His resurrection was met with such an event as described.

If we suppose that Jesus could have risen before the morning of the first day, we could just as easily suppose that Jesus rose from the dead the evening He was buried.

God Bless!
                    Watchinginawe

Comment

the 3rd day - clarification

The subject of "Three Days" can be rationally explained.

Just hang with me....

It was common cultural practice in the days of the early Jews & Jesus' lifetime, to count ANY PART of a day as "one day".
                      Meaning, If I came to your house for a visit on Friday evening, & stayed for 3 days, it would be as follows:
                      Friday- I arrive at your house. = day 1. (even if it was in the evening... it would still be considered "a day".
                      Saturday- Still visiting, still hanging out at your crib. = day 2.
                      Sunday - I get up, gather my "belongings" & depart on Sunday morning. = day 3.

So, according to old, Jewish customs, I was at your house for "3 days".

See what I mean??

Hebrews 11:1 Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Meike & I have the same birthday! Na-na na, na-na!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ohlurdy View Post
                        I'm not looking to get into a deep debate but it is my understanding (just my opinion) that Jesus died on a Wednesday.

The following Thursday was a sabbath feast day, and the people requested that all three of the bodies
                        be brought down from the cross before the sabbath feast day which would have started at sun down on a
                        Wednesday. Therein lies the three days and three nights of Jonah with Jesus being dead:

Wednesday night, Thursday night, and Friday night
                        Thursday, Friday, and Saturday

I guess this would also show that when the ladies went to the tomb on the first day of the week-a Sunday,
                        Jesus had already risen-not on Sunday, but on the Saturday Sabbath. The Bible tells us that the ladies
                        went to the tomb on the first day of the week. It doesn't state that Jesus rose on the first day of the week.
                        Based on the three days and three nights of Jonah, he could not have risen on the first day of the week or else
                        he would have been dead for four nights instead of three.
                        ohlurdy, the problem with this account is that the women could have annointed Jesus on Friday since that would not have been a sabbath. Unless of course you are suggesting that Thursday, Friday, and Saturday were all sabbaths that week.

Instead, what is given in scripture is that the women followed Joseph to the tomb, returned and prepared spices, rested the sabbath, and returned the first day of the week. This account becomes contorted in my opinion when you start the account on Wednesday. It just doesn't fit with the scriptures. The women would have prepared spices, rested on Thursday, rested on Friday, rested on Saturday, and then came to the tomb:

Luke 23:50 And, behold, there was a man named Joseph, a counsellor; and he was a good man, and a just:

51 (The same had not consented to the counsel and deed of them; ) he was of Arimathaea, a city of the Jews: who also himself waited for the kingdom of God.

52 This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.

53 And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.

54 And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.

55 And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.

56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

God Bless!
                        Watchinginawe

Comment

Originally posted by markdrums View Post
                          The subject of "Three Days" can be rationally explained.

Just hang with me....

It was common cultural practice in the days of the early Jews & Jesus' lifetime, to count ANY PART of a day as "one day".
                          Meaning, If I came to your house for a visit on Friday evening, & stayed for 3 days, it would be as follows:
                          Friday- I arrive at your house. = day 1. (even if it was in the evening... it would still be considered "a day".
                          Saturday- Still visiting, still hanging out at your crib. = day 2.
                          Sunday - I get up, gather my "belongings" & depart on Sunday morning. = day 3.

So, according to old, Jewish customs, I was at your house for "3 days".

See what I mean??

And that also leaves you with being there only two nights which is short of the required time.
                          1Peter 3:15
                          (BBE) But give honour to Christ in your hearts as your Lord; and be ready at any time when you are questioned about the hope which is in you, to give an answer in the fear of the Lord and without pride;

Comment

Mat 16:21 From that time forth began Jesus to show unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulcher, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

Luk 24:13 And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.

Luk 24:19
                            And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:
                            Luk 24:20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
                            Luk 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, today is the third day since these things were done.
                            One can know a lot about the Bible and still not live righteously. Mat ch 23.

A little knowledge lived rightly is better that much knowledge lived wrongly.

Comment

Originally posted by Merton View Post

Luk 24:1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulcher, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

Luk 24:13 And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
                              Luk 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, today is the third day since these things were done.
                              Nice scripture references Merton.

The accounting of the above would seem to make a Wednesday crucifixion very improbable. Even if one didn't count Wednesday as the first day, Sunday would still be the fourth day. But by normal reckoning, it would have been the fifth day. The span of days between Wednesday and Sunday is the biggest problem with the 72 hour accounting in my opnion. There is simply too many days between Wednesday and Sunday morning and one then must just discount the scripture accounts and decide mathmatically when and/or what day Jesus must have died and risen, resulting in both events being seemingly at odds with scripture and tradition.

God Bless!
                              Watchinginawe

Comment

Working...
                              X