I wonder why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder why

I never originally planned on asking Christians this question of mine, But after I asked a question in different thread I starting thinking that this was a really good site for people who have questions about Christianity. So I decided to ask a question for myself.

I really don't know very well the why I don't believe in Christianity. I have several Christian friends and I respect their religion very much, and I think to myself that IF a religion was to be real that would be it. I wasn't raised in any religion, but I have felt some sort of connection I guess with Christianity. And I ended up reading the Bible a lot, kinda hoping I would believe in, but I didn't. I found the whole thing rather too 'far fetched' to be real, it was too unrealistic to be real.

It really did seem like a children magic story formed or written for adults. But I still kinda felt something for it, so I often read it, I even attended a Christian Bible study. Sometimes a Christian would have a question about what the Bible said on a certain matter, and I would know the answer because that's how much I had read it. I got into a conversation about Christianity one time with an atheist, and he was saying about how he believes religion (more particularly Christianity) is all false and to my own surprise I felt kinda insulted that he had insulted Christianity like that, and I started to defend the Christian point of view to the best of my knowledge. And anyone else, were they listening to us, would have assumed that I was a Christian.

I'm not the kinda person who needs 'proof' for everything, I can believe in things without it. Like if someone told me something that was a little hard to believe, if they swore to me that it was real, I would believe them, even if I had no proof that it really happened.

But, I just don't know why I find it so impossible to actually believe in Jesus. I do a lot of pretending I believe sometimes, but inside there's like this voice that laughs at Christianity's ridiculous claims. Like I'll be talking to someone, and I'll say 'Jesus endured hours of extreme pain and suffering so you could be saved!' but inside I literally think 'yeah, right, who would actually do that?'

However, if I could push a button and automatically believe in Jesus without a doubt, I would. But with my own logic, I can't seem to be able to believe in Him. I so often wonder, what is it that Christians do that they are able to hold on to their faith so well?

When I'm in trouble, or something bad just happened, I find myself praying to God. And sometimes he gives me what I asked for, but I feel bad afterwards because 'why won't I return the bloody favor and believe in and just accept Him????'

I feel myself trying to believe, but I just can't. What do you guys do? or what did you do to be able to believe in the bizarre Christian faith?

---Bthings

Originally posted by Bthings View Post
    I never originally planned on asking Christians this question of mine, But after I asked a question in different thread I starting thinking that this was a really good site for people who have questions about Christianity. So I decided to ask a question for myself.

I really don't know very well the why I don't believe in Christianity. I have several Christian friends and I respect their religion very much, and I think to myself that IF a religion was to be real that would be it. I wasn't raised in any religion, but I have felt some sort of connection I guess with Christianity. And I ended up reading the Bible a lot, kinda hoping I would believe in, but I didn't. I found the whole thing rather too 'far fetched' to be real, it was too unrealistic to be real.

It really did seem like a children magic story formed or written for adults. But I still kinda felt something for it, so I often read it, I even attended a Christian Bible study. Sometimes a Christians would have a question about what the Bible said on a certain matter, and I would know the answer because that's how much I had read it. I got into a conversation about Christianity one time with an atheist, and he was saying about how he believes religion (more particularly Christianity) is all false and to my own surprise I felt kinda insulted that he had insulted Christianity like that, and I started to defend the Christian point of view to the best of my knowledge. And anyone else, were they listening to us, would have assumed that I was a Christian.

I'm not the kinda person who needs 'proof' for everything, I can believe in things without it. Like if someone told me something that was a little hard to believe, if they swore to me that it was real, I would believe them, even if I had no proof that it really happened.

But, I just don't know why I find it so impossible to actually believe in Jesus. I do a lot of pretending I believe sometimes, but inside there's like this voice that laughs at Christianity's ridiculous claims. Like I'll be talking to someone, and I'll say 'Jesus endured hours of extreme pain and suffering so you could be saved!' but inside I literally think 'yeah, right, who would actually do that?'

However, if I could push a button and automatically believe in Jesus without a doubt, I would. But with my own logic, I can't seem to be able to believe in Him. I so often wonder, what is it that Christians do that they are able to hold on to their faith so well?

When I'm in trouble, or sometimes bad just happened, I find myself praying to God. And sometimes he gives me what I asked for, but I feel bad afterwards because why I won't return the bloody favor and believe in and just accept Him????

I feel myself trying to believe, but I just can't. What do you guys do? or what did you do to be able to believe in the bizarre Christian faith?

---Bthings
    Hi! Looks like you're on the right track to believing in Jesus.

It also sounds like God HAS proved Himself to you. It's just up to you now.

For me? It's hard to explain. I guess, it's just that my heart tells me it's right. I've felt Jesus before and that's what helps me to know He's real, and helps me believe.

Let me tell you a little story.

When I was about 13 or 14, I don't remember what it was, but I did something that I felt really horrible about. Both in rebellion against my dad, and a sin against Jesus.
    Well, my dad and I talked about what I did, and I started crying. And I mean sobbing my eyes out. Dad decided that we needed to pray. So, me, my dad, and my brother, kneeled down by my dad's bed and dad started praying. i was still crying my eyes out, when dad started asking Jesus for forgiveness. All the sudden, i saw this bright golden glow in the midst of us AND on us, and at that point, I felt this TREMENDOUS warm feeling of peace and love come over me. I FELT Jesus saying I forgive you. I started crying all the harder, because I KNEW that was Jesus. I've never felt that kind of feeling before, or after, in anything else. It was just..........humbling. I mean, literally.

And that, for me, is how I believe in Jesus. Nothing else could of caused that overwhelming feeling of peace and love, especially after what I did. (It wasn't anything horrible, just something that was wrong, and I felt incredibly guilty)

I don't know if this helps you or not, but I felt like I should share it.
    Why are you looking for love
    Why are you still searching as if I'm not enough
    To where will you go child
    Tell me where will you run
    To where will you run

Comment

It really did seem like a children magic story formed or written for adults. But I still kinda felt something for it, so I often read it, I even attended a Christian Bible study. Sometimes a Christian would have a question about what the Bible said on a certain matter, and I would know the answer because that's how much I had read it. I got into a conversation about Christianity one time with an atheist, and he was saying about how he believes religion (more particularly Christianity) is all false and to my own surprise I felt kinda insulted that he had insulted Christianity like that, and I started to defend the Christian point of view to the best of my knowledge. And anyone else, were they listening to us, would have assumed that I was a Christian.

When I'm in trouble, or something bad just happened, I find myself praying to God. And sometimes he gives me what I asked for, but I feel bad afterwards because 'why won't I return the bloody favor and believe in and just accept Him????'

---Bthings
      I remember being at that point. I could best describe it as... feeling that Christianity was COOL but not necessarily TRUTH. Ask God to strengthen your faith. That's a prayer that he usually responds to, Jesus prayed for Peter's faith when he was doubting. I was in this position and I prayed for faith, I was a Christian within two weeks.

Also, ask God to reveal Himself more fully to you. Invite Him into your life and ask Him to become a bigger part of you. Again, He will respond in kind.

...praying for you

Christopher

Comment

Originally posted by renthead188 View Post
        I remember being at that point. I could best describe it as... feeling that Christianity was COOL but not necessarily TRUTH. Ask God to strengthen your faith. That's a prayer that he usually responds to, Jesus prayed for Peter's faith when he was doubting. I was in this position and I prayed for faith, I was a Christian within two weeks.

Also, ask God to reveal Himself more fully to you. Invite Him into your life and ask Him to become a bigger part of you. Again, He will respond in kind.

...praying for you

Christopher
        I never really pray to God unless I feel I'm in trouble, fear, or in danger, or like I've just lost control of the situation and I need something higher and stronger than me to just grab onto and trust.
        And it's during those times that I feel so close to believing in Him.

But as soon as I regain control, I go back to thinking light of Him, and seeing Him as not really real, and thinking that when He helped me it was just a coincidence. And I also feel bad because I know that's so arrogant of me, to only pray to God because I want something out of Him but if He wants something from me (to accept Him), I won't do it.

the thing is though, I have prayed to Him several times saying that if He's real to make me believe in Him. I have even said the very words asking Jesus to come into my life. maybe it's because I prayed it with so much doubt and disbelief, 'cause nothing ever can of it. I still don't believe. And even while I was praying it to Him, I kept hearing myself say in my head 'this is so ridiculous and it will never work.'

I also have this stomach churning feeling that God is going to stop helping me because I don't believe. But I need Him to help me with my phobias, but then I feel ashamed because I don't believe in Him afterwards.
        But I really do want to believe in Him, but my mind just won't let me.

Comment

I never really pray to God unless I feel I'm in trouble, fear, or in danger, or like I've just lost control of the situation and I need something higher and stronger than me to just grab onto and trust.
          And it's during those times that I feel so close to believing in Him.

But as soon as I regain control, I go back to thinking light of Him, and seeing Him as not really real, and thinking that when He helped me it was just a coincidence. And I also feel bad because I know that's so arrogant of me, to only pray to God because I want something out of Him but if He wants something from me (to accept Him), I won't do it.

the thing is though, I have prayed to Him several times saying that if He's real to make me believe in Him. maybe it's because I prayed it with so much doubt and disbelief, 'cause nothing ever can of it. I still don't believe. And even while I was praying it to Him, I kept hearing myself say in my head 'this is so ridiculous and it will never work.'

I also have this stomach churning feeling that God is going to stop helping me because I don't believe. But I need Him to help me with my phobias, but then I feel ashamed because I don't believe in Him afterwards.
          But I really do want to believe in Him, but my mind just won't let me.
          Hmmm.

God isn't going to make you believe in Him. That's a choice YOU have to make. But He has proven Himself real, because He's answered your prayers.

Let me ask you something: you believe that God is real. Do you believe that Satan is real?
          To where will you run

Comment

Yes. I believe either everything the Bible says is real or it's nothing. I would never believe in a different religion. It's Christianity I want to believe in.

So the answer really is: 'at times', at the times I believe God is real, are the times I believe everything else the Bible says is real.

Comment

Yes. I believe either everything the Bible says is real or it's nothing. I would never believe in a differnt religion. It's Christianity I want to believe in.

So the answer really is: 'at times', at the times I believe God is real, are the times I believe everything else the Bible says is real.
              Hmmm. Okay. I'll work with that.

Okay. Now Satan is the master of deception. He will do anything to get a person to doubt Christianity, to reject it. And that included placing thoughts in a person's head, such as the one's you have.

do you think it's possible that he is placing these thoughts in your head, PRECISELY to keep you from accepting Jesus?
              To where will you run

Comment

Every true Christian will have a story - a testimony - of their life before and their life after. There is often a pivotal event in our lives. Jesus used the term "born again". Some of us have struggled more, and needed a few "points" of being touched by God in order to fullly surrender to Him and let Him be Lord of our lives. As you are already observing, "Christians" are at many different places in their walk, their degree of surrendering their lives to God.

I think you have already experienced being touched by God, like the time you felt offended by an insult to Christianity. It is as if the Holy Spirit is already at work with you, and you are sensing His call and His presence. I saw in your other thread, that you mentioned being 16 years old. You are in a very formative time of your life, and it is the age of asking questions. You do well to seek truth, and I am confident that you will find it.

For myself, a really pivotal point in life came when I was 40 years of age. I knew about Jesus all my life, but like you, I had trouble believing that the Bible was really true. When I went through periods of questioning, no one had ever convinced me of it. Somehow I knew that God was true and real, but what I saw in others did not verify that truth, that reality. But at this point, I stopped looking at other people, and talked to God. I did have a couple of true Christians in my life during that time who were praying for me, and doing their best to explain to me, the answers to my questions.

Here is the one that helped me the most, as my big stumbling block was not believing the Bible was to be trusted. A very dear person began to show me scriptures, what the Bible had to say about itself. As I began to ponder these things, I asked the Holy Spirit to teach me, as is stated in 1 John. I began to realize that the Bible is to be understood spiritually, not naturally. You may already be familiar with these verses.

1. The purpose of the Scriptures: 2 Ti 3:15-17 ...the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
                16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. NKJV

2. The Power of the Scriptures: Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. NKJV

3. The hope of the Scriptures: Ro 15:4 For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope. NKJV

4. The Scriptures are discerned spiritually: 1 Co 2:10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. 11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
                13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. NKJV

5. The teaching of the truths are by the power of the Holy Spirit:
                1 Jn 2:24 Therefore let that abide in you which you heard from the beginning. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you also will abide in the Son and in the Father. 25 And this is the promise that He has promised us eternal life.
                26 These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you. 27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him. NKJV

6. Truth is knowable, by abiding in the word: Jn 8:31 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. 32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." NKJV

May the Lord continue to lead you into wisdom and discernment.
                Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
                23 Guard your heart above all else,
                for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by aliveinchrist View Post
                  Hmmm. Okay. I'll work with that.

Okay. Now Satan is the master of deception. He will do anything to get a person to doubt Christianity, to reject it. And that included placing thoughts in a person's head, such as the one's you have.

do you think it's possible that he is placing these thoughts in your head, PRECISELY to keep you from accepting Jesus?
                  I don't know. The thoughts seem like my own. But they really are what's stopping me from believing.

So Satan can really put thoughts in my head like that? The bastard.

If it is Satan, who can stop Him? am I incablible of it?

Comment

I don't know. The thoughts seem like my own. But they really are what's stopping me from believing.

If two people are arguing, and you are the one to judge and decide the winner, how do you stop the argument?

You are the one who chooses. By that choice, you encourage the one and silence the other.
                    Blessings,

Road Warrior

Proverbs 4:23
                    23 Guard your heart above all else,
                    for it determines the course of your life.

Comment

So I should try not to let myself say in my head those things. But I should also get myself to not listen to them even if I do say them.

hah, thoughts inside the head are so hard to stop, and you can't just plug your ears and not listen to it.

Comment

We know that it is only by the power of Christ that someone like Satan can be overcome. Indeed our own sin is too much for us to bare let alone his meddling. I went all through school thinking that Jesus was real yet at the same time distant from me, from my problems. I prayed to him only when i needed something, only when i thought all other options were exhausted. I used him as a public convenience.

It wasnt until i hit rock bottom in my life and started challenging my old preconceptions that i experience the love of the people of God. I had been in Jail for doing stupid things that had seemed like good ideas at the time. The only people to ever accept me for who i was were Christians, even my own family still look at me with blemishes. Its that difference in how they lived their lives that shocked me into reassessing my own. On the way i bumped into God and he dragged me to him and gave me a bear hug.

I would challenge you that if you want to know truth, if you want to know purpose then look for him. You will not be dissappointed with what you find. You have not experience anything until you have experienced the true nature of Him.

God Bless.
                        "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
                        -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

They are going to seem like your own. That's why Satan is so deceptive. He's very subtle.

Yes he can put thoughts in your head.

You can stop Him, through Jesus. You are incapable of it on your own. Satan is not afraid of man by themselves. He is afraid of Jesus, so if you dwell in Jesus, he will be afraid of you, because you have Jesus in you.
                          To where will you run

Comment

Originally posted by Revinius View Post
                            We know that it is only by the power of Christ that someone like Satan can be overcome. Indeed our own sin is too much for us to bare let alone his meddling. I went all through school thinking that Jesus was real yet at the same time distant from me, from my problems.
                            I prayed to him only when i needed something, only when i thought all other options were exhausted. I used him as a public convenience.
                            That's diffidently what I do too.

I feel like, maybe the reason why I don't believe in Jesus even though I have asked Him in life before, I think it could be because my motives are wrong. Like I just want God to do things for me.

I just suddenly got a question. God does a lot of stuff for us all the time, always answering someone's prayers, or saving someone from hell. All we should do is love Him and love others too. But don't you sorta feel a need to do something back or you can't accept what your given?

It's like if you have a rich relative who is always buying you presents, sometimes even if it's not a holiday. And you are too poor to be able to buy them anything, and even when you do it's nowhere near as nice as a gift as the ones they buy you. I would feel like I can't accept these gifts anymore. Even though the rich relative asked for nothing in return, I would feel a need to repay that person, and since I can't, I would actually start to want them to stop giving me things.

But really don't want God to stop doing things for me, but I really feel guilty everytime he does do something for me.

Originally posted by Revinius View Post
                            It wasn't until i hit rock bottom in my life and started challenging my old preconceptions that i experience the love of the people of God. I had been in Jail for doing stupid things that had seemed like good ideas at the time. The only people to ever accept me for who i was were Christians, even my own family still look at me with blemishes. Its that difference in how they lived their lives that shocked me into reassessing my own. On the way i bumped into God and he dragged me to him and gave me a bear hug.

I would challenge you that if you want to know truth, if you want to know purpose then look for him. You will not be disappointed with what you find. You have not experience anything until you have experienced the true nature of Him.
                            What exactly do you mean by 'true nature' of Him?

Comment

by true nature of Him, I think Revinius means, His true, loving, generous self.

God DOES ask that you do something in return. I think He does anyways. He asks that you accept Him, and that you do His will. You live your life by His will. And that's a lot of times easier said then done.

you can't ask Jesus into your life only because you want Him to do things for you. You have to ask Him into your life AND your heart, so that you can have a relationship with Him.
                              To where will you run

Comment

Working...
                              X