Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Age After Genesis 6:3

After the flood, Genesis 6:3 tells us that:

Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

It was my understanding past this point that God had limited human life to 120 years. But after Genesis 6:3 there are instances of people living beyond the 120 year old age stipulated by God. Examples:

Genesis 23:1 Sarah 127 years
    Genesis 25:7 Abraham 175 years
    Genesis 35:28 Isaac 180 years

There are several others in Genesis. Can someone explain this to me?

I believe the 120 years refers to the time period God gave man to repent before sending the flood.

Cheers
    Leigh

Comment

God extends peoples ages according to his purpose. As a side note i find it interesting that as a consequence of sin and the dying of this world peoples ages have been declining right up until within the last hundred or so years when science has been trying to stabilise and reverse the process.
      "Few men are born brave. Many become so through training and force of discipline"
      -Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." - James 2:26

Watch This! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyheJ480LYA - Christian Artist Lecrae

Comment

Originally posted by MrAnteater View Post
        After the flood, Genesis 6:3 tells us that:

Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years."

It was my understanding past this point that God had limited human life to 120 years. But after Genesis 6:3 there are instances of people living beyond the 120 year old age stipulated by God. Examples:

Genesis 23:1 Sarah 127 years
        Genesis 25:7 Abraham 175 years
        Genesis 35:28 Isaac 180 years

There are several others in Genesis. Can someone explain this to me?

Hi mrA,
        As I understand it, this have nothing to do with the age of men, but rather that this was the time left before the flood. (And coincidently the time it took to finish the ark.)

Comment

Working...
        X